Youngblood (1986) Poster

(1986)

48 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
I like...
jbird97917 April 2003
...what Youngblood attempts, which is to tell the story of an up and coming star at a crucial point in his hockey career. Of all the hockey movies I've seen, including Slap Shot, The Mighty Ducks movies, The Cutting Edge (which focuses on hockey for only the beginning of the film) and the Van-Damme action-film Sudden Death, (which in my opinion is the absolute worst hockey-related movie ever made) the plot of Youngblood is the most reasonable to me. I have not seen Mystery Alaska, but from a friend of mine's description, it sounds quite far-fetched. (although I suppose a group of Alaskans probably would have a chance against the Rangers :)

I was born late in 1979, and first saw Youngblood when I was quite young. In fact, it was the first hockey movie I ever saw, and to date the only one I own. Part of my fascination with this film resulted from my passion for the sport of ice hockey, which I began playing at the age of 4 and maintained competitively through the collegiate level.

What I like most about Youngblood is that the story is centered around one player (Dean) and his struggles to advance his career, despite his talent. The obstacles he faces in the film: lack of toughness, and clashing with the coach, and knowing his chances to go pro are running slim, are typical themes hockey players share as they advance toward the ultimate goal of one day playing in the NHL. While Slapshot is hockey's cult classic, it is more like Animal House on Ice than a realistic attempt to portray ice hockey, which Youngblood attempts, and quite honestly a film of such nature should be produced for the avid hockey fans around the world.

Without a doubt, Youngblood fails to portray skillful hockey, and the off-ice action only mildly captures the life of a junior hockey player, but had the proper research been done and certain changes made pre-production, Youngblood could have joined Slapshot in hockey fans' movie collections. The games needed to be faster, the dialogue snappier, (especially the Keanu Reeves brainbusters) and the Rocky-ish training diminished the quality of the film, because not only would Dean not go from being the weakest in the league to kicking the toughest guy's butt in a week, but most wannabe professionals and junior teams have regimented training programs to follow on a regular basis, and do not begin two days before the championship game of the league they're in.

Cutting that scene could have made room for a far more realistic side of the game, such as Dean being contacted by prospective coaches, agents and other interested parties to notify him they'd be coming to watch his games. (like most prospects with hopes of going pro have to deal with)

Dean simply mentions that he wants to go pro and needs to play juniors if he's going to get a contract, but that is the last we hear about him playing pro, aside from mentioning it to Jessie, coach Chadwick's sexy daughter, and Dean's love interest. From my experiences, any player in junior hockey who did not receive a fair amount of attention from scouts was quite likely not going anywhere, so there should have been some effort to include them to advance the plot of his odds of making it, because scouts would have certainly had more influence on Dean playing tougher than anyone in the film does, although in reality his teammates should have been getting on him too.

As for character interplay, Dean's relationship with Chadwick's daughter is entertaining, if far-fetched. Perhaps the most realistic relationship between characters in the film is the one between Sutton and Youngblood, as the top talents of hockey teams often have an appreciation for one another and pal-up off the ice. Not to mention, the Hollywood impact on the film is the only logical explanation for Youngblood leaving the team after Sutton's injury. In all my years as a player, I'd never heard of that one, although, I suppose it just explains Dean's irrational behavior resulting from his conflicts with coach Chadwick and his nemesis, Racki.

On the whole, I appreciate this movie, but I certainly wish it had more of an advanced pace and that it better explored and explained some of the typical stereotypes of hockey players that it shows (star player chases and gets the girl everyone wants, the bar scene, the initiation, the opposing team's heckling fans, etc.)

As a long-time hockey player and fan who now studies Scriptwriting at Ithaca College, I feel somewhat obligated to pen a true-to-life hockey film for the die-hard lovers of the game out there. Somebody needs to!! Youngblood, if nothing else, at least will make a decent reference.
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very good representation...
jcutolo8 January 2004
While there have been many posts stating that this movie is a poor representation of what hockey is really like, I must disagree. I have played hockey up to the college level, and I have had more than one occasion to tryout or play for junior teams in Canada. While many specifics in the movie are exagerated, the parts that people seem to be most offended by are the parts that are true. There is something to be said for rinks that have chain link fencing in stead of glass, every tryout has one or two guys that trip over the blue line untouched, fighting at tryouts, and yes, there are Canadian towns which are old and run down. The social aspects of the movie are definately true: the woman that every guy has been with, the initiating of the rookie, silly girls at the local bar, and of course, the unruley fans. While the movie does take some creative liscence, it is an accurate representation of what life is like for a hockey player trying to make it in junior hockey. I love this movie. It is a must see for anyone who plays the game.
14 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I like it.
tripwires3 September 2001
Maybe it's because I neither follow hockey nor care for it, or maybe it's because I'm a 15-year-old female teenager, but I liked this movie. Sure, it's nothing special or extraordinary, in fact its plot has been done a million times. But I just liked it. It's virtually impossible not to like Dean Youngblood (and it's got nothing to do with the fact that Rob Lowe is hot) and to cheer for him when he finally learns how to hit a guy. The romance between Dean and Jessie actually doesn't seem forced; the two of them have a certain chemistry that is quite obvious to viewers like myself. Cynthia Gibb is all-natural in her role as Jessie, and Patrick Swayze evokes empathy in the viewer as the high-school drop-out who is *this close* to being a pro hockey player. But it is Rob Lowe who basically carried the whole movie, and once again, it has got nothing to do with the fact that he is hot.

Overall, this is a feel-good hockey movie that I liked. I usually can't stand sports movies, as I hate sports with an intense passion, but this one is just...well, it's just nice. And then there's Rob Lowe...
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great movie a must see!!
Stephen Ross24 September 2001
I really cant see why people think this film isnt at least worthy of a 8-10 rating.

This movie is in my top 10 mivies of all time along with Casino, T2, Aliens, Goodfellas, Die Hard, Braveheart, Pulp Fiction ,Reservoir Dogs and The Real McCoy which is a film about a bank robbery.

Youngblood is such a great film. It is the best Ice Hockey movie i have ever seen and he also gets a hot babe in the film too. When he is taught how to fight u know its a predictable ending but at the same time u just really want to see him kick that bad guys ass.

My advice is watch it enjoy it and as long as u dont over hype it the film will be most enjoyable
14 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
adding to the mix
richaudFullSail24 December 2001
There are a lot of angry Canadian people expressing hatred for this movie. I can totally understand where they are coming from. I play the game of hockey, and I find it hard to believe that every time a player touches the ice, he's scoring goals. Added to that, how he learns to fight, and works out for a week, and all of a sudden beats up a guy that kicked his butt a couple of weeks before. BUT.... You also have to understand something else. Since Slap Shot, an undoubtedly awesome classic to all hockey fans around the world, there had not been an attempt at a movie that mainly focused on hockey. The makers of this movie had to be creative to attract attention for the sport. For example, the stick fight, the constant beautiful goals, the way he won the fight. It had some reality to it like the jokes played on the rookie in the bar and when they shave him, you know, down there. The way he was put up in someones house. The most impressive thing about the movie, was the beginning and how it set up the rest of the movie. It starts with a home video of Dean(Rob Lowe) when he was very young playing with his older brother and their friends. It shows how clearly dominant he was and that leads into the present time with him saying, "I've been offered a tryout with the Hamilton Mustangs." And to Canadians who feel like this movie disrespected your great sport (yes, i mean GREAT sport), remember this. When they are on their way to Canada, Deans older brother who is driving him says you are gonna have to learn, "Oh, Canada" and also when Dean says, "They'll never catch me" showing cockiness like he's superior to anyone in the league, his brother says, "Oh, they'll catch you." I love hockey, I loved this movie. Did it have it's flaws? Yeah, plenty of them. But if you're looking for an inspiring, action filled drama, give this movie a whirl.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fire and Ice.
Robert J. Maxwell23 April 2012
I know nothing about hockey but managed to learn a few things from watching this formulaic sports story.

One is that a goalie has to be extremely supple. He must be able to do splits comfortably. And there is an unsettling scene towards the end, just before Rob Lowe's penalty shot, when the goalie of the enemy team (that's the proper term) extends one ugly padded leg in one direction and kneels on the other, then slithers slowly back and forth in front of the net like a dangerous eel or serpent. He also apparently gets to wear a mask as threatening as he likes -- skulls, a mass of stitches, any design will do.

Another thing I learned is that hockey isn't all speed and skill with the stick. The teams, the referees, the coaches, the fans, are all allowed to stand back and not interfere with two players who have decided to duke it out, first with sticks, like Medieval jousters, then with bare fists like kids in a junior high school playground. The fight can last a long time, until one of the combatants hits the dirt, or rather the ice.

There's nothing much new about the plot. Lowe is a natural talent on the ice but must quit for a time during his rise to celebrity in order to overcome some personal demons and then return to become the star he was always destined to be.

He's only seventeen years old and gets hazed when he joins the Mustangs. But he makes a friend too, Patrick Swayze, who tells him that nothing, absolutely nothing, compares to playing in the rink. I figured Swayze at once for a paralyzing C-spine injury that would turn him into a mummy from the neck down. I almost got it right.

Then there's Racki, an ugly name for a gargantuan enemy player given to smashing members of the other team and playing dirty. I figured Lowe would wind up beating him to a pulp. Bingo.

Then there's Cynthia Gibb as the daughter of Lowe's manager, Ed Lauter. Lauter doesn't like the team even looking at her. But how could anyone not? She was a model at fourteen and is now the cutest, cleanest face on the screen since Sandra Dee, but less debauched than Sandra Dee always appeared, what with her Bayonne accent.

Gibbs' Dad and Gibbs' own reluctance to have her date a team member are soon overcome. The obstacle is perfunctory. We've already seen Lowe's manly chest and buns of steel, which are pretty revolting, but we get the merest glimpse of Cynthia Gibbs' far more graceful nudity. She can't act but it doesn't matter because Lowe can't act either. That doesn't stop them from being beautiful people.

Patrick Swayze, on the other hand, gives a convincing performance as an experienced player. I've always admired Swayze, a dancer, singer-songwriter, horse breeder, who trained at the Joffrey Ballet -- and was from Texas. Died a way we don't want to die.

Best performance award goes to -- envelope, please -- Eric Nesterenko as Lowe's Dad. It's not a bravura performance. It's a reassuring one. He has the same sympatico quality on screen that Richard Farnsworth once had, or that Werner Herzog has now. If I were to spill the beans to someone, I wouldn't mind if the listener were someone like Nesterenko. Of course that's his screen persona. In real life he may get his kicks pulling the wings off flies.

This isn't any masterpiece of film making. You can pretty readily call the shots. But it's better than I'd expected it to be, which may or may not be saying much since my expectations were pretty low to begin with.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An insult to our game.
Jennifer (casperj_17)2 September 2001
As a Canadian, and a hockey fan, I was insulted by the style of this movie and how poorly our Canadian game was potrayed. I don't want to ruin this movie for anyone, however it is 15 years old & fairly predictable. So, we have an American teenager who is a complete wuss playing in a nothing hocky league who goes to Canada to play junior. He manages to play well, score with the coaches daughter, leave his team because his friend/teamate gets severely injured, comes back for the "big game" & scores a hat trick (3 goals) no less to win it. Then, he fights the toughfest goon in the league in a stick fight??? And wins??? That whole scenario actually happening is as about as believable as Keanu Reeves French Canadian accent, and Patrick Swayze as some hard core hockey player. Albeit, junior hockey is pretty rough, there are more fights, however, I do not believe there is such a thing as a stick fight, nor do you ever see a coach jump into the stands & fight with a fan,and it is a rarity to see a skilled player who is not a fighter, engage in a fight with a total goon and win. Hockey wise, this movie blows. And as for the love story, what can I say accept that it is fromage 80's. This movie is watchable, but you can't help but feel embarassed for the people who are in this movie.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Rob Won't Mix It Up
bkoganbing24 April 2009
Rob Lowe is way too much the matinée idol type to ever be believable as a hockey player. In fact that's the story of Youngblood, that of a player who values his looks a lot more than mixing it up on the ice to help win a game.

Try as I might I just can't see Rob Lowe as a hockey player, even one who won't get down and dirty. He's a speedy fellow on the ice and it's his speed that gets him a berth on a Canadian minor league hockey team, on which he has teammates like Patrick Swayze and Keanu Reeves.

The best scene in the film is where Rob Lowe gets literally raped by the unofficial landlady of the team, Fionula Flannagan. Apparently she gets first dibs on all the new hockey players in helping them keep their equipment in working order. Considering before Lowe, she had both Swayze and Reeves, I'd say she's quite the mechanic.

Rob has a more serious involvement with Cynthia Gibb who is the daughter of Coach Ed Lauter. But she's also daddy's little girl which doesn't help matters.

Our Canadian reviewers say that Youngblood is a gross distortion of Canadian hockey. I'm in no position to comment, but I've seen enough to know that it's a sport where violence is the norm and if you can't mix it up and are not willing to risk your good looks, you won't last too long.

Youngblood is now 23 years old and assuming Rob Lowe's character had a decent sized playing career, I guarantee that Rob today would not look like the fellow who worked for President Martin Sheen in the West Wing.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fairly generic if watchable hockey film
mnpollio16 September 2010
Back in 1986 prior to the opening of this film, some press was spilt about the level of dedication "pretty boy" actor Rob Lowe was going to for the title role, such as bulking up a bit for the role and the extensive training to make the hockey scenes as authentic as possible. After all that preparation, it seems a shame that the end result is a predictable largely generic feel-good sports film set on the ice. Lowe is the title character, who in a whirlwind of activity becomes a force to be reckoned with on the ice. And I mean whirlwind - in the space of 24-48 hours Lowe leaves home, arrives in the city, is seduced by his mature landlady, gets on the wrong side of a brutal hockey player, wins a spot on the team, gets caught with his pants down by the coach's daughter Cynthia Gibb, subsequently starts a flirtation with her, is hazed by the team members in a rather humiliating fashion and wins the respect of veteran player Patrick Swayze. One can accuse the film of much, but being boring is certainly not one of them. There are things that work well in the film. The hockey scenes seem authentic and rousing, even though there is rarely ever any doubt about where the film is headed. Lowe and Gibb share a certain amount of chemistry and the camaraderie among the teammates (including an unknown at the time Keanu Reeves) feels accurate. Swayze is also fairly solid in a typical role of semi-mentor. Unfortunately, the film is hampered by its formula. There are certain steps that it needs to hit by rote and it is at best moderately enjoyable to see it hit them. Part of the problem rests with the leading man. At the time, Lowe was dismissed as little better than a Teen Beat sensation, which is a bit unfair. However, even his most ardent Fans must admit that Lowe fares much better in ensemble pieces (The West Wing, The Stand, Brothers and Sisters) where his shortcomings can be muted than he does as a leading man, where his lack of charisma starts to come into play. Despite his hard work, Lowe never seems completely believable or at ease in the central role, which has a tendency to throw the film off its stride. Yet there are still reasons to watch. Hockey fans will enjoy the on-ice action, romance fans will probably find something to like in the relationship between Lowe and Gibb, and Lowe fans will have the guilty pleasure of seeing him in what has become his essential nude scene - embarrassed and trapped in a public hallway in a filled to capacity jockstrap while being ogled by Gibb. Any of those aspects are certainly worth a painless couple of hours to take in the film.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Slapshot
Prismark108 July 2016
Youngblood is a derivative sports film starring Rob Lowe as an American farm boy who travels to Canada to play junior Ice Hockey.

It is a kind of story that features his new team mates humiliating him in an initiation ceremony but they all later bond as they frequently indulge in puerile humour. Youngblood quickly gets seduced by the cougar landlady who does this with all the ice hockey players staying with her, he also flirts with the hard nosed coach's daughter, clashes with a brutish player of an opposing team, which leads to a team mate getting a serious injury leading to a crisis of confidence and conscience among our hero. Youngblood runs back to his farm where he is toughened up by his family and he returns just in time to the important end of season game.

The film is a slice of mid 1980s cheese with lots of Rockyesque overtones. It features some rising talent such as Patrick Swayze as well Keanu Reeves, who would one day jump out of a plane together and fight for a parachute.

It is a shame that the film lacks heart and conviction. Lowe also appears to be too bland, cast more for his sex appeal which must be the only reason for that jockstrap scene.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"What does not kill you makes you better"
sale_mj_vgd22 March 2010
Why only 5.5?! This movie deserve much better... I say, there is many movies like this, but this movie have something what others don't have...

2 excellent actors ( Patrick Swayze and Rob Lowe), make this movie so special...

I like this kind of movie because they have good impact on young people.. Many "Youngbloods" have waiting for their chance, this movie talking them that "If you believe in something, you will get that"...

My vote is 10, because i didn't seen movie like this years ago. This movie is for everyone... you must see this...
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Marado...Marado...
Andres Rais4 March 2004
Hockey is passion. I know it even though I'm in the "other side" of the world. I watched lots of games. I like hockey. That's why I wanted to see the movie. Is it a good and realistic hockey film? I really don't know that so far. But passion and personality is needed in order to play the game. I really would like to know if this movie is accorded to the reality of hockey. Times had passed. This movie was made 18 years ago and it was released here in Argentina. Even though we shouldn't know what hockey is about. When I find a hockey game in cable TV I want to see it.

Rob Lowe portrays a hockey ace in advance. His father is a farmer who works with his older brother (a former player). Youngblood wants to play in New York but first he must increase his level of hockey and personality because hockey is a rude sport. He falls in love with the coach's daughter and tries to get the friendship of the star of the team name is Derek Sutton (Patrick Swayze). We are not naive, he'll be a star (I wonder if he'll play in Madison Square Garden) scoring a hat-trick in the final game. I liked both performances (Lowe and Swayze) but I recognized a great work of Cinthia Gibb (as Youngblood's girl). Like Maradona in soccer from a simple home to a star. I liked this movie. I really want to know why it doesn't portray hockey's reality. I rate this movie 6 out of 10. Andres.
5 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Exciting hockey games, but pretty one dimensional
tdowd-221 April 2007
As a young hockey player growing up, this was one of the movies that I adored. There is a very dramatic 80s style soundtrack, lots of dramatic stickwork and the evil goaltender has a mask that looks like a skull.

This is still a fun movie to put on, and if you've played hockey or ice skated, it is easy to relate to some of the scenes in the movie But once you watch it a lot, you realize EVERYONE is a one dimensional stereotype, from the aloof fathers who really love their kids, to the innocent young kid having to come of age, to the older brother figure, to the nothing-but-evil villain. It starts to wear thin.

Still, the opening scene with skating in the barn captures the excitement of being on the ice better than any other scene I could think of.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I found myself bored by this movie
rubydreamer28 January 2007
I found myself bored by this movie. Firstly, I did not like Rob Lowe or Cynthia Gibb in this movie. I found their characters predictable and cliché and their romance even more so. I did like Patrick Swayze, I though he gave a good performance. But I have to say in a movie like this it isn't good to judge performances as the material isn't very hard to act.

My main problem was as I said, it doesn't capture your attention and i'm mostly talking about the hockey games. I felt like their wasn't even an effort to make the action interesting. I should have been cheering the characters on at that last hockey game but I bored. I guess my opinion is a bit biased after watching the Maurice Richard movie whose hockey sequences were rivaled by no one else in their excitement and joy.

I certainly would not recommend this movie to hockey fans. Maybe the lingering Rob Lowe fans would enjoy it but i found this to be a boring and unmoving film even for a teen movie.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wow
Sinamon25 August 1999
Give me a break. How can anyone say that this is a "good hockey movie"? I know that movies tend to do a pretty p***-poor job of portraying hockey to the general public. And yes, this was made back when the U.S. hadn't embraced our sport to the extent is has today, but really. I have played hockey all my life and have watched even more, and this my friends is sheer lunacy. The scenes on the ice were stupefyingly bizzare... the particular instance to which I am referring is the "sword fight", er I mean the "stick fight" at the end of the film... during which everyone is just standing around and watching, not with fascination that this is actually happening, but in wonder as to who will win the duel between Youngblood and his nemesis Rakkie. Yes the story off the ice is a little better, I do stress LITTLE.

I don't know, maybe there is no point in going on... I mean let's face it: the film is right. Hockey is just one big battle on ice... oh yeah with a little piece of vulcanized rubber bouncing around- occasionally into what is loosely termed a "goal". Youngblood is either appalling or hysterical, I can't figure out which... maybe someone else will have more luck.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Youngblood
jamesjkl23 May 2017
I have happy memories of watching this movie, a go to film as most sport stories have Rob Lowe as Dean Youngblood the hero, up against the odds of a brutal opponent.Raki, Ed Lauder and Cynthia Gibb supporting,

Make this a feel good film.

Patrick Swayze, and Keanu Reeves also star, its not just about winning its winning in the right way.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Rob Lowe may act many things, but not tough. Never tough.
Ben Parker31 July 2015
Pretty tiresome dreck with a super young Rob Lowe playing at the ol' Ice Hockey picture. Actually, its not a very old genre. You never saw John Wayne hockeying on ice, nor James Dean. Rob Lowe is actually pretty good, and the film is made with the absolute maximum amount of seriousness available, which seems to be a lot. Everyone seems to be into Ice Hockey, its just that also assume their audience is too. There's not a single bit of effort put into making us like or appreciate the sport. Its more played as a human drama, with the sport and its coaches providing tension for the protagonist. Its like the real bad guy is the sport itself. Its pretty funny. I know I said Rob Lowe was pretty good, but the other funny thing about this movie is when Rob Lowe is called upon to act tough. Rob Lowe can be privileged, a pretty-boy, a flirt, witty, charming, maybe creepy or dangerous... But tough? I had to laugh. There's not a tough bone in his body, yet here he is getting physical with some dudes, and the second half of the movie is mainly concerned with him winning a physical fight. I just, you know, don't get it. Also, the movie is pretty of its time, very 80's soundtrack, so if that's what you're after, help yourself.
good average coming-of-age movie
SnoopyStyle9 April 2015
Dean Youngblood (Rob Lowe) is a skilled teen hockey player in upstate New York. He gets a tryout for a junior league team in Hamilton. His father refuses but his older brother Kelly convinces him otherwise. Kelly had tried but got injured. Dean's speed beats out the brute Racki in the eyes of coach Chadwick. The team led by captain Derek Sutton (Patrick Swayze) hazes the rookie. The coach's daughter Jessie (Cynthia Gibb) is intrigued. His landlady Miss McGill (Fionnula Flanagan) has boarded and seduced many hockey players in the past.

This is a pretty average coming-of-age movie. Rob Lowe is a charming young guy. Gibb is winsome. Swayze plays a good older mentor like he does in Dirty Dancing. Keanu Reeves gets a small role early in his career. It has a couple of memorable scenes like the hazing. It's not particularly outstanding but it does the job.
Patrick Seayze Steals This Movie
slightlymad2213 January 2015
It was with some trepidation that I watched this movie, I loved it as a kid, like I did "Crocodile Dundee" and it's sequel, both of which disappointed me, upon rewatching them recently.

Plot In A Paragraph: Dean Youngblood (Rob Lowe) a 17-year-old farmhand from New York, has dreams of playing in the National Hockey League. He is granted the chance to travel to Canada to try out for the Hamilton Mustangs. At the try-outs, Youngblood displays the talent which got him "92 goals in the New York League" but also displays a lack of physical toughness that is so prized in Canadian hockey. This weakness is pounced upon by a brutish player, Carl Racki (George J. Finn), who is also trying out for the team and engages him in a fight. Youngblood quickly learns that flashiness and pure athletic ability will not be enough to be successful in this league. Despite being beat up by by Racki, the coach opts to select Youngblood for a spot on the team. He ingratiates himself to the other players and particularly Captain Derek Sutton (Patrick Swayze) and the coach's daughter Jessie (Cynthia Gibb), its not long before Racki reappears playing for a rival team.

Rob Lowe is good as Dean Youngblood, he is pretty enough for the "pretty boy" tag and looks in good shape. Cynthia Gibb is very attractive as Jessie Chadwick, and what an ass she has!! I loved it!! Ed Lauter is a lot of fun as Coach Murray Chadwick and George J. Finn is imposing and does a good job as Carl Racki. However Patrick Swayze steals this movie (yes even away from Cynthia Gibb's wonderful ass) as Derek Sutton. He is brilliant, and a reminder of what a talent we have lost.

Keanu Reeves had a small role as Heaver, one of Lowe and Swayze's team mates.
Actually Quite Captivating
ilania_a6 March 2014
This film is well cast, and acted, there is a story, and the game of hockey is made clear even to those who are not fans. Some of the photography is way above average, for example the scene of puck shooting exercises by "Youngblood". The relationships between two brothers, father son, and two friends Judd Lowe and Patrick Swayze are all well presented. There was not a dull moment in this film. But above all this was a good vehicle to show Judd Lowe's talent. He really held the movie. It is a shame that he lost the momentum of his career by becoming addicted to drugs and alcohol.

Of course it did not hurt to have Patrick Swayze, Ed Lauter, Cynthia Gibb, and even Keanu Reeves. I am comparing it to another movie about young men whose dream is to join a professional sports team (Baseball) "Sugar" (2008) which was slow moving, Youngblood has a good pace, and flow of events.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Definitely the top of my list
dsfoster1411 December 2012
If your looking for a great movie and a movie that I myself find extremely inspiring you have searched the right place

this move is just excellent and should be rated a 10/10, i am pleased with the way it is set out, i myself play ice hockey and jut like this young man he is not the richest man on earth but he has the skill and determination to get there.

I guarantee that you will love this movie if you love inspirational, motivational, romance, dramas or a sport movie.

even with great fighting, every hockey fan loves a great fight and Youngblood has a great deal of it so stop reading this review and GO AND SEE IT!!!!

really i think this should be rated 10/10 but others have their odds, go and watch it!!!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Ice hockey, laughs and the lovely Swayze, Lowe and Reeves!
HelenMary9 December 2012
I love this film. It's about Ice Hockey (alwasys a good start), and an up and coming US player who goes over the border to Canada to play having been scouted, in the hope of making a career for himself. Starring Rob Lowe as the titular Dean Youngblood, Patrick Swayze as Derek Sutton the Team Captain and Cythia Gibb as the love interest, it's a typical 80's star vehicle when Rob Lowe as a member of the Brat Pack and seemed to be in everything (The Outsiders, St Elmo's Fire, About Last Night etc). Everything about it screams 80s and I'm not entirely sure it's aged well, it's shot very simply but some nice "set pieces" such as Lowe working out or skate-training sessions. The chemistry between Lowe and Swayze is brotherly, a "bromance", after the initiation at least, and they had played brothers only a few years before in The Outsiders - Darry and Sodapop Curtis.

Whilst this is a an underdog-does-good sports film, it isn't so Hollywood and without drama and it's not a typical happy ending. The skating scenes are really good, Swayze throws himself into the physicality of the role in typical fashion. I'm sure some stunt skaters were used but possibly the actors were ice-familiar anyway. Keanu Reeves has a minor (comedic, and with some great one liners) role and was a goalie at school and he plays Heaver, the goalie with the Mustangs. Much of the story is predictable but there's also a few twists, and whilst the acting isn't stunning, Gibb is the weakest link, the skating and the comedy makes this a fab film - especially the bar scene when Dean first joins the team. The love scene is a little cringeworthy (more so when I first saw this) especially in connection with the wonderful Miss McGill (Fionnula Flanagan). I guarantee you'll never hear the phrase "Room Service?" without smiling, and you'll never look at a cup of tea the same way again. LOL.
real???
saybow697 July 2009
i see a few of the user comments referring to their playing days of college hockey and junior ice leagues or semi-pro hockey? (like the movie is) and got no problem with how the movie portrays the sport, few good moments (although don't think a 3 game series is played over a span of 3 weeks? (like movie makes it out to be? not playing football!) and believe me, i know those leagues are tough as nails! but i don't see how anyone who has played hockey at any level? can think that Racki would not have been suspended? ha ha? give me a break! almost killed Swayze! Patrick Roy goalie son goes and beats up other goalie fair an square and gets suspended for 7 games! and Patrick got 5! (junior hockey league) and you guys have no problem with Racki not getting suspended at all? cmon! and then the stick work in fighting? were the hell they come up with that? that is the fakest scene in a movie i have ever seen! they do not do that! at any level! best friend son plays for (OHL) Plymouth Whalers (Tyler Brown) and one of the toughest guys in league and he almost pee'd himself laughing when i showed him movie, felt like i was watching zorro? for some of the bloggers to have mentioned they played hockey their whole lives and not mentioned either one of these blunders? i find it hard to believe they ever even picked up a puck? if they didn't notice those 2 huge blunders or flat out fallacies! like certain parts of movie? but those 2 parts of movie were so fake? ruined whole movie! not too mention reeves acting! man he was bad!!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An awesome Hockey film, that's exciting with a great story,Rob Lowe and Patrick Swayze were fantastic!
callanvass23 June 2007
Youngblood is an awesome Hockey film, that has a great message at the end, even if it is predictable, and I believe this is one of the most underrated sport films out there, plus I thought it was so sad with what happened to Swayze's character!. The Hockey action is exciting, and intense, and George J. Finn is fantastic as dirty goon Racki you will hate him for the stuff he pulls, plus I loved the opening with Youngblood(Lowe), strutting His stuff with Hockey skills and I loved all the neat tricks he did. Sure it may look a little cheap at times, but it didn't bother me a bit, and some people complained the story was dull and boring, but I found it to be very engaging and interesting, plus it has one funny moment where Ed Lauter (Coach Chadwick) catches Lowe with a Nympho Book. You will love the end, cause it's a great underdog story, and The Hockey scenes felt very realistic, plus watch out for Keanu Reeves who plays the Goalie!. Overall This is an awesome Hockey film and I say it's an absolute must see!. **** out of 5

The Acting is great!. Rob Lowe does a terrific job here as Dean Youngblood, he had great Hockey skills, and while he may have looked a little stiff at times he really came through in most of the scenes, and you will especially feel for him near the end with what happened to Swayze's character, I feel this may be his best role!. Patrick Swayze is very good here in his role as Sutton he's cocky but lovable and cracked me up a couple of times I just wished he had more screen time. Cynthia Gibb is not bad as Chadwick's daughter she shared good chemistry with Lowe and was a Cutie to boot!. Ed Lauter is good as the strict yet likable coach he cracked me up as well. Jim Youngs does a good job as Lowe's brother. Eric Nesterenko does alright as the Father considering he was a famous Hockey player!. George J. Finn is fantastic as Racki, you will hate his guts as he actually made me think he was a despicable goon. Keanu Reeves is OK as the the goalie he was a bit goofy for my tastes I dig the guy but it's not one of his better roles loll.