IMDb > Troll (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Troll

Troll More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Harry Potter Junior . . . .

Author: Adrienne Naylor from Boston, Massachusetts
15 February 2004

I'm more biased toward liking this movie because I kinda grew up on it. As pathetic as it is to say now, certain scenes were too scary for me to even watch.

Anyway, it's a really cute and fanciful movie full of imaginative whatnot. I mean, come on! An ancient troll takes over a modern apartment building, transforming it into a faerie tale wilderness, complete with a chorus of singing trolls. Wonderful.

Absolutely the funniest horror film ever !!

Author: D_ROCK1986 from United States
19 June 2005

A couple of friends and I got into a craze of watching cheesy old horror films on the weekends because there is nothing else to do in a small town... But anyway, we rented this one and laughed like never before, it is so insane! We love the "Creature Symphony" part where all of the troll creatures start singing some gibberish song, it is hilarious. We still laugh about it randomly to this day. This movie has maybe half a minute worth of scariness, unless you are afraid of midgets. By the way, the little man in the movie is superb LOL with his little story that he tells. I recommend this film to everyone to see once, because once is all it takes and once is all you really could take. It is a crappy horror film, but a great comedy!!

Worthy as a ridiculous 80's creature flick

Author: xordu1
16 June 2004

This movie is not that great, but not as awful as you might hear. It's mostly a fantasy/horror/comedy that isn't too ambitious yet was weird enough to make a good midnight cult movie. The short eighty minutes weren't unbearable, and there was plenty of things that didn't make too much sense. 1: If everything in the fairy land was completely evil, how come the witch had the talking mushroom? 2: How come the troll didn't want the girl to die. Yes, the ending was pretty anti-climatic and some of the jokes missed, though some hit straight on. But this movie is worthy as its genre: a ridiculous 80's creature flick. Although, there is one very awesome musical number as the trolls are partying, which is just greatly scored and edited, other than that, nothing special unless you like creature/Full Moon flicks. 6/10

So bad you almost HAVE to watch

Author: mamamiasweetpeaches from New York, NY
13 January 2004

They play TROLL on TV every once and awhile and like a train wreck, its hard to look away. Its so bad its almost good. Almost. But not quite. What can you really say about an '80s film that boasts both Sonny Bono and Julia "Elaine from Seinfeld" Louis Dreyfuss??? The casting here is so strange that it reels the mind. Noah "NeverEnding Story" Hathaway?? Shelly Hack?? In short, a boy finds a mysterious land o' TROLLs in the basement of his new apartment building. The TROLLS are cheesy to be sure and the whole thing is silly,I guess. But there is something endearing about watching a little boy rescue his cute little sister who suddenly growls and bites people, something weird about watching June Lockhart play with her pet singing mushroom right before she morphs into a total blonde, buxom she-babe. I even love the friendly little dwarf man! TROLL is cheesy but in an inoffensive fun way, unlike it's sequel TROLL 2 which is a terrible cult classic that is painful to watch.

Watch as a creature systematically takes over an apartment complex.

Author: Aaron1375
11 February 2004

I rather liked this one a bit, though I can see from its score that I am in the minority in my opinion. Though at least most can agree this one is a lot better than the sequel. This movie has a family moving into a new apartment complex. Very quickly the little girl is taken by the title character and he takes her place. Throughout the movie the troll disguised as the little girl moves from one apartment to the next turning each room into a seemingly new dimension or something. The girl's brother has his suspicious and teams with this old woman to figure things out. The old woman seems to know a lot and she looks a lot better with her hair down. Soon the entire apartment becomes part of this world the troll is creating and the boy must finish it off because the old lady just is not in the position to help at the end. Rather fanciful and interesting...nothing to take to seriously, but I thought it was a rather good story and movie.

more corny than scary

Author: vchimpanzee from NC
26 October 2003

I don't like scary movies, so when I saw they Shelley Hack was going to be in this one, I figured it was going to be a good choice. I was right. She looked good, and that was about all.

On the Witches' Sabbath, Harry and Anne Potter and their children Wendy and Harry Jr. move into an apartment building where a number of quirky people live. Wendy goes into the laundry room and meets Torok, an evil-looking creature. Harry Jr. goes into the same laundry room but doesn't see Torok because, using a green ring, he has the ability to change his appearance.

The experience of running into Torok is apparently very traumatic for Wendy. While not exactly Linda Blair in 'The Exorcist' (I've only seen clips from that one, and that's all I want to see), she does worry her parents quite a bit. Meanwhile, residents of the building start disappearing mysteriously.

Jenny Beck was wonderful as Wendy, and she appeared to be having a good time acting in a way kids can only fantasize about behaving. Phil Fondacaro also gave a very good performance as Malcolm, an English professor who was shorter than young Wendy and became her friend. The movie's most memorable scene is one between the two of them that seemed out of place in a movie like this but made sense later. Fondacaro also appeared in the credits as the troll, who was more adorable than scary, a quality you could see in his eyes (which must have been Fondacaro's). Anne Lockhart also did well as the mysterious Eunice, who lived upstairs and became Harry Jr.'s friend. As for Sonny Bono's performance as a not-so-suave ladies man, I think he made the right choice going into politics, because his talents in government are well-documented (though I liked him a lot when he performed with Cher and in many other TV appearances).

This movie may be a little too scary for young children, but the various monsters still had a cartoonish quality about them. Overall, the movie was more comedy than horror, though toward the end horror would describe it better.

It's not a bad movie, really.

A neat little follow up on GHOULIES

Author: Prolox from Canada
15 July 2005

And fans who loved that one will definitely want to check this one out as well, since it contains the same brand of cheesy humor & gross slimy monsters. The story goes like this, a family moves into a grungy apartment, where an evil troll from another dimension possesses & assumes the identity of their little daughter, the only ones who knows what's going on is an ancient witch & a young boy, who must not only save the young man's family, but the entire world from going to the trolls!. I had a good time watching this one, I enjoyed GHOULIES & this one was equally entertaining as well, the direction & make up work not to mention the acting, was great & TROLL has several slimy & humorous moments to keep you hooked from beginning to end. Followed by a sequel, TROLL 2 which a lot of people hated & isn't really a sequel, but I dug it in a cheesy B movie sort of way & supposedly a TROLL 3, which I viewed & can honestly say that it's about as much as a sequel to this one, as Friday THE 13TH PART 2 is to FOOTLOOSE, which is to say there are no trolls in it, it's about killer vines!

**** stars

Many Little Creatures...

Author: Freya(sableOnBlond) the-real-roobeemoon from orbiting around Marz
16 September 2004

This movie is good.;) Yeah... - different , interesting Sarcastic , dark comedy...And... I like how the little girl always has this really evil smirk on her face.But she faked me out a bit when she was eating....(huh, ew) The parts with Sonny Bono - those are so silly. All the little earth wandering trolls keep coming out of the woodwork... And they look hilariously silly putty - ish. Freaky , funny stuff. Oh - '86...

Lame but Cult

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
17 March 2014

The Potter family has just moved to a rented apartment in San Francisco. Harry Potter Sr. (Michael Moriarty) and his wife Anne (Shelley Hack) are bringing the packages to the apartment and their son Harry Jr. (Noah Hathaway) and their little daughter Wendy Anne (Jenny Beck) stays on the sidewalk. Wendy goes to the laundry room, she meets the wicked troll Torok (Phil Fondacaro) that uses his magic ring to possess Wendy and to use her form to transform the dwellers and their apartment into other trolls and his kingdom. Harry Jr. feels that something is wrong with his sister and seeks out help with the good witch Eunice St. Clair (June Lockhart) that lives in the building.

"Troll" is another lame movie of creatures in the 80's but also a cult- movie. Michael Moriarty in the role of Harry Potter Sr. is so ridiculous that becomes funny. The symphony of the creatures singing in troll language is one of the best moments of this movie. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Troll"

Not great; but a nice movie

Author: Hellraiser-1 from Cartagena, Spain
30 December 2001

Empire Pictures was a great company which made very good B-movies such as "Re-animator", "From Beyond" or "Ghoulies" apart from this I´m going to comment and that I watched when I was a child.Then, I felt it was great and for a long time I wished to watch it again but it was never shown at TV and it was impossible to find it in videos any longer so I had to ask for it and someone found miraculously a copy for me and in good conditions. Now that I have seen it again I have to say that it was not such a great movie as I thought when I saw it for the first time but it is a nice fantastic movie with some interesting cinematic references and with quite good special effects and the boy is called Harry Potter, a long time before that character was created, what a coincidence!. It is not so gory as other Empire productions(much less, in fact) but there is a great bloody scene in which a guy is transformed in a kind of tree and a whole forest emerges from him, it is a curious aspect of the movie and the ghoulies appeared here for the first time(You can see them in the forest singing strange songs).So, if you like fantasy movies this is a quite acceptable B fantastic movie.The only pitiful aspect is that the infamous Italian director Joe D'amato made a pretended sequel with the title of "Troll 2" which it seems is bad as hell, and I am sure it has nothing to do with the original although it has been impossible for me to watch it because it has never been edited in Spain, but I will get a copy if I can, even if it is only to burn it.Note: If in the USA you still can find forgotten movies like this in video, you don´t know how lucky you are!, here they are really difficult to find.

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]