IMDb > Trick or Treat (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

A Headbangin Good Time

Author: reverendtom from Santa Cruz, CA
6 April 2004

This is a great, ridiculous horror movie that captures the essence of the mid to late 80s' obsession with how evil metal music supposedly was. I can remember being freaked out by metal teens when I was a kid. It doesn't help that I found a desecrated grave in my hometown's graveyard when I was ten. Turns out this weird metal kid had dug up some old bodies and used their bones in some weird sacrifice to satan. So maybe stuff like deterred me from metal for awhile, but I love it now, as a 24 year old.

I bought this DVD used for 6 bucks and I expected it to suck due to the lame cover, but to my surprise, it ruled. It is all about the extreme demonic power of metal. And you gotta love a scene where a guitar shoots lazers and vaporizes headbangers in the crowd. This movie is awesome, if you love 80s metal and bad movies, this one's for you. 9/10!

I loved this movie.

Author: slyfox7273 from North Dakota
23 July 2003

Nobody said movies had to be realistic did they? I really liked this movie because I remember when I first saw it in junior high. For all the kids who remember the PMRC and albums before there were warning stickers, it's a cool story for all those kids who were part of the mid to late 80's headbanger crowd.

This is a spoiler review...

Author: justlikenancy
26 August 2003

Mindless, but amusing. Gene Simmons & Ozzy are barely in it (Ozzy is an evangelical tv preacher), but the rock-is-devil-music is a prominent feature: a big premise the the concept that if vinyl records are played backwards, evil messages are heard. One of the funniest bits in the film is about an hour into the story, when Eddie (Skippy from "Family Ties") is being grounded and given instructions about Hallowe'en candy, the overhead microphone is CLEARLY visible, and since that scene doesn't involve the destruction of a set or something that would make a re-shoot impossible, why it was left with the mike dangling is a testiment to the quality of the film. Mullets abound, high school bullies torment the nerds, and there is even a gratuitous scene where a teenage girl who has just had been intimate with her boyfriend is attacked by the demon in the tradition of sexually-experienced-teenage-girls-must-be-punished in silly horror films. It's silly, but fun, as long as you remember you are more likely to be laughing at than laughing with the movie.

can you believe it's skippy?

Author: 80sgal from usa
6 May 2002

Skippy from Family Ties goes from clean-cut to metal kid in this fairly cheesy movie. The film seems like it was made in response to all those upset parents who claimed metal music was turning their kids evil or making them kill themselves - except in this one a dead satanic metal star is trying to come back from the grave (using Skippy to help out). And while the plot is corny and cliche, the corniness (for example, an evil green fog taking off a girl's clothes)and the soundtrack are what make the movie so hilarious (and great). And of course, there's nothing like Ozzy Osbourne playing a preacher who's asking what happened to the love song :). Definitely a movie for having a few friends over for a good laugh. And while you're at it, make it a double feature with Slumber Party Massacre 2 - there's an "evil rocker" (as stated on the video box)driller killer in black leather w/fringe. A must see for cheesy movie fans.

One of those gems

Author: legend316 from London, England
28 October 2000

The first time I saw Trick Or Treat was about 10 years ago. The movie really impressed me with its subject. It deserves the title cult classic. I never was able to obtain an original of the film. With the DVD trying to break through I had already been looking for the DVD version but according to most shops and even amazon the DVD didn't exist. Imagine my surprise when I had a vacation in Amsterdam I saw the DVD in the Megastore there. It wasn't cheap but I still bought it. There was no way I would miss that chance. I don't regret it. First, because it still can't be ordered at Amazon or any other shop I know and second because it's a great movie. The atmosphere in Trick Or Treat is great. It's not a Hollywood kind of style movie, but the story is better than most of the Hollywood stuff. The special effects aren't bad either. The soundtrack is unmistakenly 80ies metal which I really like. The cameo by Ozzy Osbourne is hilarious. Like I said before it's a cult classic. Not everybody will like it but should try it. I am glad somebody decided that this cult classic should be released. Now if they would release cult classics like The Warriors, The Last Dragon, The Wraith and Three O'Clock High on DVD I would be one happy camper.

Crazy.....

Author: barthburger from Crisfield, Maryland
15 June 2000

This movie is one of my favorite films of all time. It wasn't scary at all and it wasnt a slasher film(love those) but if you like 80's heavy metal you'll love this movie. It's just the feel of the movie. It was made well. If there's one bad thing about this movie it's that there's no squel.

Great movie

Author: Mandy (mding) from WI
28 January 2000

I love this movie and never get tired of watching. The music in it is great. Any true hard rock fan should see this movie and buy the soundtrack. With rockers like Gene Simmons and Ozzy Osbourne you can't go wrong.

Classic! Carrie Meets Metal

Author: Carrigon from United States
20 December 1999

This movie is sort of a Carrie meets Heavy Metal. It's about a highschool guy who gets picked on alot and he totally gets revenge with the help of a Heavy Metal ghost. it is such a classic. The soundtrack is A++++. You've got living legends of Metal in it. And Marc Price was great in this film. This is a must have for metal fans.

LOVED IT!!!

Author: blindnes
18 May 1999

Anyone out there who grew up in the 80's listening to Heavy Metal will love this movie. Gene Simmons is in there for a few minutes as is Ozzy Osbourne. Special effects are not so bad. And overall the story line is pretty good.

It's a Treat!

Author: Pulp Culture from United Kingdom
20 May 2012

Trick or Treat (1986) Director : Charles Martin Smith Starring: Marc Price, Tony Fields & Lisa Orgolini

Eddie Weinbauer is a typical all-American teenager. At least he was until he fell under the evil spell of ROCK MUSIC!

Now he's obsessed with the recently deceased Heavy Metal superstar Sammi Curr and as Halloween approaches, Eddie begins to realise this isn't only Rock "N" Roll…it's life or death!

Trick or Treat combines horror, comedy and Heavy Metal into an entertaining brew. The handling of Eddie's humiliation at the hands of the hated jocks and his feelings of isolation is well done, while the scene where the recently resurrected Sammi Curr lays siege to the high school Halloween party is reminiscent of "Carrie". Throw in cameos from rock legends Gene Simmons and Ozzy Osbourne and a rocking soundtrack from the band "Fastway "and you have a great slice of 80's cinema!

As rock-hating TV evangelist Reverend Aaron Gilstrom (Ozzy Osbourne) says after the credits roll "This could kick you off into being an absolute pervert".

Page 2 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]