IMDb > ¡Three Amigos! (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
¡Three Amigos!

¡Three Amigos! More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 15: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

I don't want them as friends

Author: gato from Mexico
16 April 2003

It's just awful when good comedians fall into this kind of movie. What's their necessity? It's not funny, it's not cute, it's nothing. Mr Landis should stick to genres that he knows best and forget about comedy. Shame for these good actors.

Why can't people enjoy its simplicity

Author: (aspence26@aol.com) from North Carolina
21 April 2002

Personally I think this is one of the funniest comedies I have ever seen. I remember when I was 8 and saw it the first time, I didn't get many of the jokes but the visuals and voices were funny. It could keep my attention day after day, which is sometimes hard to do. The VHS tape we had of it broke because it was viewed so many times. I just recently bought the DVD of this movie and showed it to many of my college friends who had not seen it before. They all thought it was one of the funniest movies they had seen in awhile. Many critics of the movie talk about missed opportunities for jokes and it's seemingly slow pace. Its a simple movie with simple jokes and simple plot. Some people can't enjoy a simplistic movie, they need constant reassurances they are watching a funny movie. I am not saying that these people should be ashamed. I am just adding my thoughts so if someone is reading these posting trying to figure out if they should watch it or not, they can have another opinion.

Hysterically funny, well worth owning

Author: duntrune from rainville USA
21 October 2001

This film is one of Steve Martin's best writing efforts, and I've noticed his best work is what he writes himself, of course having Chevy Chase and Martin Short along for the ride is only going to make a movie better! Martin's Lucky Day is clueless, Chase's Dusty Bottom is a blithering idiot, and Short....well, he steals the film in quite a few places as former child star Ned Nederlander.

Filled with priceless one-liners, ("Can I have your watch when you are dead?"), great sight gags ("Are gringos falling from the sky?") and an awful lot of clever dialogue (Jefe's questioning of El Guapo is brilliant) this movie made me laugh from start to finish, I give it 10 stars out of 10, because it lived up to my expectations of being funny, silly, and an enjoyable way to spend an hour and a half or so. It's available cheap on video these days, buy it, and you will not be disappointed!

Should be required to have a surgeon general's warning.

Author: Bigmoose from In a van down by the river.
11 March 2000

This movie is like potato chips. You can't watch it just once without seeing it again. I love this movie, and the cast, and all fans of this movie should work together to build it a national monument to its greatness.

If you have any sense of humor whatsoever, you will enjoy this movie.

Author: (l84sumluvin@hotmail.com)
4 November 1999

Well maybe I exaggerated a bit. This is more of a movie for that specific type of humor shared by guys who haven't quite "grown up" yet. If you fit this description then you will definitely love this movie. As for you others, you may or may not like it. I find Steve Martin to be one of the funniest people in Hollywood with a humor which is always witty, wacky, and downright hilarious. His character fits perfectly with that of Chevy Chase and Martin Short, who are equally funny in this movie. I've never laughed harder than during the "singing bush" scene. My other two amigos and I must have re-wound and played that one scene at least two dozen times.

A plethora of laughs

Author: Pork-3 from Orem, Utah
2 September 1999

How can this movie be rated so low (currently 5.5/10)? If that's the way most people feel about this movie, then this country is in bad shape. I know that I do not have their superior intellect or education, but could it be that they are once again angry about something else and looking to take it out on this movie? But as sure as my name's not Lucky Day, movie-goers can overcome their own personal El Guapo, who isn't even the actual El Guapo.

13 years later, this is still the most often quoted movie amongst my friends.

I don't care what the critics said, this is one of the greatest movies of all time. G'night, Ned.

Author: Nospoon from Tucson, Arizona
10 June 1999

"Three Amigos!" came out when I was of the ripe old age of ten. I desperately wanted to see it even though all of the grown-ups around me said it was horrible. I don't recall my first viewing, but I know that somehow, I got from there to here: I don't care what the critics said, this is one of the greatest movies of all time. The chemistry between Chase, Martin, and Short is incredible. They are hilarious from beginning to end.

"Three Amigos!" is the American response/equivalent to "Monty Python and the Holy Grail": cinematic cud. What I mean by that is that it almost becomes funnier each time you watch it or quote it. I cannot even begin to count how many times a friend or I has said at a birthday party "Iss a sweater!" (if you have no idea what I'm talking about, watch the movie. You'll laugh) Some final comments: watch this one with Amigo veterans. It's much better in a group. Finally, enjoy the cameos and the usability of this film in six degrees.

Missed Opportunities

Author: curtis martin from Bothell, Washington, Land of Rain
27 April 2000

"Three Amigos" has always struck me as a movie filled with more missed opportunities than actual laughs. It's not a bad movie by any means; the concept is clever and in fact many individual segments are brilliant.

But far too often the director, John Landis, seems to have been relying on his three leads (Chevy Chase, Steve Martin, and Martin Short) to simply "be funny" without the aid of a funny script. This approach can work if you happen to film 10 times as many improvs as you need so you can then pick out the truly funny ones (see "Austin Powers"). There are so many long, drawn out scenes where the Three Amigos simply seem to be mugging aimlessly while they wait for Landis to yell "Cut!"

BUT--and this is a big but--Steve Martin's screenplay does have several hilariously weird bits and Landis does stage some wonderful musical numbers to Randy Newman's songs.

All in all, "Three Amigos" is much better than Landis' other half-assed Saturday Night Live type flick "Spies Like Us". In fact, "Three Amigos" is better than almost anything Landis has don for the past decade and a half (unfortunately, most of his recent movies have sucked big time, so the praise is admittedly faint).

One of the funniest and most memorable comedies ever made!

Author: Jeff Lynne (jefflynneelo@yahoo.com) from New York
13 July 2004

There is little doubt that this movie could be one of the top ten comedies of all time (up there with Airplane! Trains,Planes & Automobiles and Zoolander) Honestly, if one has seen this movie and not laughed or sat back and relaxed enough to at least enjoy its humor, then one is WAY too uptight and should probably stick to documentaries or war films. First of all, any ONE of the three leads could carry a terrific comedy on his own; but Steve Martin, Chevy Chase, and Martin Short together are simply three times as funny, that cannot even be argued. There are so many people who blurt out random lines from this movie even 18 years later, proving that this movie earns its rightful statue as a comedy classic.

This is a comedy?

Author: The_Film_Cricket from Birmingham, Alabama
27 October 2014

It would be easy for me to say that 'The Three Amigos' goes no place fast if I believed for a moment that it intended to do anything fast. In fact, the movie is so lacadaisy that I think even the stars were checking their watches.

The movie has all the earmarks of what could have been. It stars Steve Martin, Chevy Chase and Martin Short whose brilliant individual work on 'Saturday Night Live' is completely missed here. They play The Three Amigos; a comedy team whose recent box office receipts has caused the studio to hand them their walking papers.

Meanwhile down in Mexico a woman sees one of their movies and thinks they are the real deal. She sends a fractured telegram hiring them to save their village from banditos and being in need of work they oblige. Unfortunately they misread the cry for help and think that they are being called to do a publicity show which leads to a long (and I do mean long) series of misunderstandings until very late in the film when they begin to realize that the banditos aren't kidding around.

Steve Martin whom I liked in some of his more critically panned films like the underrated 'The Man With Two Brains' seems too in on the joke. Martin Short does almost nothing and Chevy Chase gets one or two moments right and then stands to the side of the screen looking on at the moment.

Maybe the problem is that the film feels too safe. We get the feeling that Martin, Chase and Short are in on the joke and that kills the spontaneity of the comedy. The Three Amigos have a trademark gesture which ends with them thrusting their hips forward and coughing. That's not funny because it feels rehearsed. I like it when comedians don't play the moment for laughs. Watch Gene Wilder in 'Young Frankenstein' when he is trying to figure out how to work the revolving bookcase and you'll see what I mean.