IMDb > The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
Page 10 of 26: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

This movie was complete crap...

Author: bikejump from Oklahoma, USA
29 September 2002

**** Spoilers *****... as if anyone cares

Alright, first off, I rented this one night along with 4 other horror flicks. I was prepared to be scared. The beginning promised a little. I overlooked why the stupid teens didn't just hit the brakes. From there on, this movie got so so so HORRIBLY awful it started burning into my brain! I thought the scene at the radio station might be good. The chop top fellow was creepy at first... UNTIL leatherface came out. Then he got really really whiny and annoying. Tell me how the hick radio station techy could have survived being hit in the head with a hammer at a MINIMUM of 100 time's i'd imagine (While he's whacking him on the head, it cuts to a 5 minute scene with leatherface, when we come back he's still a-whackin) and THEN get his face, rib and arm skin cut off.. and yet still live long enough to flirt with the DJ??? I don't even care anymore.. at this point in the movie I was just a blob on the couch and my brain was revolting. I tried to zone out for the rest of the movie. But I lived through the horror that is Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2. Now, I've heard the first was better, which it had better be. Because this was flat out the worst movie I'd ever seen. A combination of Dennis Hopper yelling "Bring it all down!" a dozen times and the "hero" doing a chainsaw disco, were enough for me. Seriously though. Tell me why i'm supposed to care about the girl who WON'T STOP SCREAMING. And also. Why did she FOLLOW the psycho's who just trashed her radio station and tried to kill her??? I don't know. but please, please PLEASE do NOT watch this movie...

Author: ( from Kimberling City, MO.
22 September 2002

In this oddball, quirky, twisted, and downright-comical film, we are treated to a very different take on the first film. While the original TCM had very little blood, TCM2 carries it in abundance. There's plenty to go around. While hated by many, this film manages to be very entertaining and somehow, easier to sit through than its predecessor. Tobe Hooper took a very tongue-in-cheek approach to this sequel, and while it may have been a strange decision, it does manage to work.... most of the time.

While I laughe often, I think what really made the movie work was Dennis Hopper's out-there portrayel of a lawman who no longer has anything left to lose and is hell-bent on getting revenge on the cannibalistic clan who murdered his invalid nephew (Franklin) and drove his niece to the nuthouse, then to suicide. His whacked-out, sometimes over-the-top performance won me over big time and I was cheering him on all the way through.

Last but not least, Bill Moseley as "Chop-top" was very amusing. If you haven't seen this movie, I'm not going to spoil anything on his character. Let's just say that he is very reminicent of the hitch hiker in the first film, only this guy has dropped a lot more acid. Check it out. Just don't expect it to stay true to the original. It's almost a parody.

A total disappointment!

Author: varnaboy from Reykjavik, Iceland
7 September 2002

I can not believe how the man who directed "Texas chainsaw massacre" could make so stupid and fake sequence.. If it was not for the existance of the first film, this one would be a bad and silly horror film, but after the great TCSM (1974) which is the best horror film I have ever seen ( together with "Psycho" ) now this turns to be a very very bad fake and disappointing try of a horror film. I actually could not watch it to the end and stopped it somewhere at the second half. I had to do this after the first 10 minutes of the film.

FuNNY STuFF-- ***5/10***

Author: framer94 from Rochester / NY
1 September 2002

Texas Chainsaw Masacre 2 is basically an upgrade from the origional with better make up on the Grandad, more tasty chunks taken out of the victims, and a completely new cannibal hideout--this time, underground and made entirely of human/animal bones.

This time we see a single girl at the hands of the madmen as opposed to 5 kids in a myster van. A girl who works as a radio DJ gets a phone call on the air from 2 gung-ho party idiots who stay on the air all night...until they get butched while driving by fellow road-hogs. The girl goes to the local Sherrif with a hunch that the tape may prove as an explanation to the murders going on in texas over the years. Mayham follows when the trio learn of the tape, and invade the radio station, kidnapping the girl, etc etc

The movie has it's funny momments, with a senile, almost zombie like grandad trying to take out our heroes with a workman's hammer, etc. The most disapointing thing about this movie is the lack of realism-- the first was all about reality because the events actually took place, and many of teh same scenes from teh first are simply being redone, only thuis time more elaborate. It's worth a watch though...

The Buzz is back...kind of.

Author: DNDRKOWILLSAVEUS from ohio
29 August 2002

I'm not a huge fan of the first but i do recognize the fact that it is a landmark movie. The second is gorier, longer, and a hell of a lot harder to watch. This one unlike the first is crystal clear and the blood, guts, a terror-ridden faces shine bright on the screen. The first one had a very small budget and was very grainy, whereas this one is way more polished. One of the perks of the first one was that a lot of the violence and gore were hard to see, in this one it's very clear and in your face. Still it's a decent sequel for what it's worth.

What the heck ??

Author: Moonknight31 from St. Charles
29 August 2002

The first was a classic, but this is just trash to say the least. Im not sure what Tobe Hooper was trying get across when he made this and whatever it was it didn't work. Stick with the first movie it maybe less gory but overall it's 100 times better.

An embarrassment to original

Author: LEE MIDDLETON from Glasgow, Scotland
22 August 2002

Having watched the original chainsaw several times I began to appreciate how good and unique this film truly was. I was dreadfully disappointed in the sequel which was a rushed, uninventive joke. It is total c**p from start to end and is insulting to the originals unique atmosphere and what it represented. While watching this complete tosh, I really wanted to see the original as it is totally superb compared to this. Chainsaw two is one of the worst films ever made. Do not waste yout time watching this film as you will be appalled with its complete garbage storyline and duff acting. It is not horror not in the slightest it is pathetic in every way. I can not believe Dennis Hopper had a role in this film, he must shake his head every time he thinks of it!!!!!!!!!!

decent sequel..but could have been alot better

Author: Jake from Springfield, MO
20 July 2002

This sequel could have been alot better seeing it had alot of neat stuff to work with. The intentional humor looking as if it's in the same vein as Evil Dead 2 (even though it preceeded ED2) is more annoying than funny. Some of it works. Alot of it doesnt. Cannon originally released this Unrated on video..but it seems to have just R rated violence. It also tended to drag in places. Now what I did like about this movie was Dennis Hopper..who just rocks out in this movie as an obsessed ex lawman wanting to murder those that killed Franklin from the first film. Also the scene where Leatherface points his chainsaw at Caroline William's naughty zone whispering "how good are're the best" is classic at the most.The thing that makes this probably a little harder to like is because the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre was a gritty dark brutal horror movie...the black humor could have played on that..but went for just irratation instead. 6.5/10

Better than expected

Author: shaun98 from Milwaukee WI
11 June 2002

The second "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" film is one of the better horror sequels of the 1980's. Given the generally low quality of genre films from the period, especially sequels, that's not usually saying a whole lot. Nonetheless, despite its flaws, it's certainly worth the effort for horror fans. It's not as good as the original: that is asking too much; it was an unique, one-of-a-kind film, one that is perhaps best left alone. Still, the sequel does not tarnish its memory. On the contrary, it revitalizes the concept with a fresh approach. Director Tobe Hooper realized that even he would be hard-pressed to outdo his own groundbreaking film, so he wisely takes the material in a whole new direction altogether. The first "Massacre" was a grim, bleak horror film; the second is an over-the-top dark comedy. There's much more gore than the original, but it's so bizarre and frenetic that it's impossible to take seriously. It's done with so much panache that we can't help but hop on and go along for the ride.

The funny thing about it is that it actually does a decent job of making Leatherface sympathetic. This odd plot thread starts with a symbolic chainsaw/phallic symbol sequence that is absolutely priceless; it's intense and bizarre, the way a TCM film should be. So the guy's not evil, just misunderstood? That's right, and it works. He is actually capable of thinking of another human being as more than just fodder for the meat-grinder. No wonder this guy is killing people; it's his only outlet for sexual frustration. Makes sense, in light of some of his father's comments.

What can I say about the acting? It's all over-the-top, like the movie itself. You get to see an insane Dennis Hopper in a chainsaw duel with Leatherface; how can you go wrong with that? Absurd, but compelling in a bizarre way. Hopper can always be counted on to spice up a movie, and he certainly doesn't let us down, although he's equally effective in his quieter moments. Likewise, Jim Siedow and Bill Johnson are clearly enjoying themselves as members of the nuttiest family on the planet, and Bill Moseley is so uninhibited it's surreal. In contrast, Caroline Williams provides a center of normalcy as the heroine--until she also loses it all in the end.

This is not an unqualified recommendation, though. the first half-hour is fairly tedious, with little action to break the monotony. I know that some scenes were removed for time and content reasons, but the film does suffer for that. From what I hear, they originally depicted some more Leatherface action, which will hopefully find its way into a future special edition. As it is, the film is rough going at first, then it thankfully picks up with a terrifying sequence. From that point on, the pace rarely flags, although it gets a bit exhausting after a while. Hooper hadn't lost his touch.

**1/2 (out of ****)

Released by Cannon Films

What a waste of time!

Author: Billy Rhynard from Kentville, NS
29 May 2002

The best way to sum up this film is PATHETIC! I am absolutely amazed that the guy that directed the first film was able to direct this waste of time. This film isn't even good on horror standards! I wouldn't even recommend this film to the most die hard horror fan! Don't waste your time. You'd be more satisfied spending your time watching some Melrose Place reruns!