IMDb > The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
Page 9 of 25: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Worth your time

Author: JackOwen from Alabama
30 October 2002

First of all, once you see the original, you're curious about the sequels. This one was good, and it had its bad points. The thing is once you see the stunning classic, you expect a better, or at least really great, sequel.

Part 2 has all of what Leatherface does. He chases and kills. Instead of the chase being outside in the fields or in the woods, it's more like a bunch of caverns. I overlooked the fact that Leatherface fell in love with the victim, and didn't use that in my final judgment of the film. What's bad about the movie is that it wasn't as scary as the original. It's very gruesome. They showed too much of a guy being bashed in the head with a hammer. Gore fans would like this stuff, though.

Don't think this movie is horrible, it's not. It just wasn't nearly as good as the original. It has unexpected laughs, not a special plot, and of course, the legendary Leatherface.

Horror fans still should see this. ** out of *****.

The ruination of yet another horror series

Author: jimmyvegas from USA
22 October 2002

It's often true that sequels to great horror films get progressively worse as the series drags on, and this is no exception to the rule. I'm just amazed that the director of the original managed to shatter the vision presented in his own classic so completely. The grim, realistic tone of the first film has been completely wiped away, replaced with something that amounts to little more than a silly Saturday night popcorn movie that's more laughable than watchable. The horrific cannibal family is back, but they also have been miraculously transformed from a ghoulish band of freaks to ridiculous parodies of their former selves. Gone is the bone and skin-laden house, replaced by an underground lair more fit for Alice's White Rabbit than a cannibal family. And then there's Dennis Hopper's character, who is a joke in his own right. It's sad, really.

Great on the gore.Silly and fun.* * * 1/2

Author: David Slicer (davidslicer69@yahoo.com) from Amherst, Massachusetts
21 October 2002

"The Texas Chainsaw Massacre,Part 2" is a film that is not for movie snobs.The kind of snobs that spend their time watching nothing but foreign films putting down those who are only into watching big budget films.If they had seen a film like "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre,Part 2",they would have died and rolled over their graves.Instead "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre,Part 2" is a film for those who love the beautiful sight of blood filling the screen.Although,the sequel does not surpass the original released back in 1974,the film is a load of fun to sit through for those who spend their time reading issues of "Fangoria Magazine".I don't care what some people think or say about this film.Don't expect to watch a film filled with acting or a perfect story.Instead,expect to sit through about 90 minutes of fun and gore.Alot of what goes into this sequel is what comes out of what we expect for a gory horror film.At the time of the film's release back in 1986,it was one of the film's that became one of those sequels that I thought would never be.I'm being straight and foward here.I have to be honest."The Texas Chainsaw Massacre,Part 2" is a film that alot of blood and gore fans will like.I feel like a kid again reviewing this film.

The Leather One is Back!

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
7 October 2002

[CONTAINS SPOILERS]

Our story opens with two ignorant college boys driving into Texas. They listen to a radio personality, Vantia "Stretch" Block. They crank call her and won't leave her alone. The fun goes on all night until pretty soon a truck is driving beside the boys. On the back is a strange looking character. He whips out his chain saw and saws off the top of the boy driving which results in a terrible car crash. The killer was, of course, Leatherface.

Stretch had got the whole thing on tape. The screaming and the saw buzzing. This whole thing seemed to interest Texas Marshall, Lt. 'Lefty' Enright. Lefty was the father of Sally and Franklin Hardesty, from the first Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Stretch tried showing the tape to Lefty, even play it on the air. Lefty didn't seem at all interested, but he secretly knew all about these sick people and wanted very much to get revenge on them for killing his son. He goes to a hardware store, buys three chain saws, two little ones and one big one. He tries them out aggressively on a log. That night, Stretch found a weird character in the studio. His name was Chop Top. He was also the hitchhiker from the first movie. He had heard Stretch's tape over the air and seemed very interested in it. Suddenly, out of the record room came Leatherface, or Bubba, with his chain saw roaring. He chased Stretch into a storeroom where she was somehow able to talk him down, so Leatherface and Chop Top left, taking L.G. McPeters, Stretch's partner with them. She followed them to their secluded spot. Lefty also arrived; in their secluded spot, skeletons and human bones were everywhere. Also down there was Dreyton Sawyer and Grandpa! Stretch witnessed the gruesome skinning of L.G., then Lefty burst in with his chain saws for a showdown! Sawyer had a grenade and it went off, but it is unclear whether he, Lefty and Leatherface were blown sky high. Stretch takes a chain saw from Grandma's skeleton, starts it up and screams like a maniac.

My opinion: somewhat of a downer. This one is much more violent than the first. Dennis Hopper is here. Caroline Williams, who plays Stretch, also appeared in Leprechaun 3. Also, in the opening narration, the narrator says the van that belonged to Sally Hardesty and her friends was a Volkswagen. It wasn't. It was a GMC, I think, or maybe a Chevy. And this is also the only one where Sally was referred to as Sally Hardesty-Enright. She wasn't called that in the first one. We learn, in the opening narration, that poor Sally went into catatonia after her encounter with Leatherface and died shortly thereafter. Tragic. But in conclusion, if you saw the first, you oughta see this one.

This movie was complete crap...

Author: bikejump from Oklahoma, USA
29 September 2002

**** Spoilers *****... as if anyone cares

Alright, first off, I rented this one night along with 4 other horror flicks. I was prepared to be scared. The beginning promised a little. I overlooked why the stupid teens didn't just hit the brakes. From there on, this movie got so so so HORRIBLY awful it started burning into my brain! I thought the scene at the radio station might be good. The chop top fellow was creepy at first... UNTIL leatherface came out. Then he got really really whiny and annoying. Tell me how the hick radio station techy could have survived being hit in the head with a hammer at a MINIMUM of 100 time's i'd imagine (While he's whacking him on the head, it cuts to a 5 minute scene with leatherface, when we come back he's still a-whackin) and THEN get his face, rib and arm skin cut off.. and yet still live long enough to flirt with the DJ??? I don't even care anymore.. at this point in the movie I was just a blob on the couch and my brain was revolting. I tried to zone out for the rest of the movie. But I lived through the horror that is Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2. Now, I've heard the first was better, which it had better be. Because this was flat out the worst movie I'd ever seen. A combination of Dennis Hopper yelling "Bring it all down!" a dozen times and the "hero" doing a chainsaw disco, were enough for me. Seriously though. Tell me why i'm supposed to care about the girl who WON'T STOP SCREAMING. And also. Why did she FOLLOW the psycho's who just trashed her radio station and tried to kill her??? I don't know. but please, please PLEASE do NOT watch this movie...

whoa!

Author: (billybrown41@hotmail.com) from Kimberling City, MO.
22 September 2002

In this oddball, quirky, twisted, and downright-comical film, we are treated to a very different take on the first film. While the original TCM had very little blood, TCM2 carries it in abundance. There's plenty to go around. While hated by many, this film manages to be very entertaining and somehow, easier to sit through than its predecessor. Tobe Hooper took a very tongue-in-cheek approach to this sequel, and while it may have been a strange decision, it does manage to work.... most of the time.

While I laughe often, I think what really made the movie work was Dennis Hopper's out-there portrayel of a lawman who no longer has anything left to lose and is hell-bent on getting revenge on the cannibalistic clan who murdered his invalid nephew (Franklin) and drove his niece to the nuthouse, then to suicide. His whacked-out, sometimes over-the-top performance won me over big time and I was cheering him on all the way through.

Last but not least, Bill Moseley as "Chop-top" was very amusing. If you haven't seen this movie, I'm not going to spoil anything on his character. Let's just say that he is very reminicent of the hitch hiker in the first film, only this guy has dropped a lot more acid. Check it out. Just don't expect it to stay true to the original. It's almost a parody.

A total disappointment!

Author: varnaboy from Reykjavik, Iceland
7 September 2002

I can not believe how the man who directed "Texas chainsaw massacre" could make so stupid and fake sequence.. If it was not for the existance of the first film, this one would be a bad and silly horror film, but after the great TCSM (1974) which is the best horror film I have ever seen ( together with "Psycho" ) now this turns to be a very very bad fake and disappointing try of a horror film. I actually could not watch it to the end and stopped it somewhere at the second half. I had to do this after the first 10 minutes of the film.

FuNNY STuFF-- ***5/10***

Author: framer94 from Rochester / NY
1 September 2002

Texas Chainsaw Masacre 2 is basically an upgrade from the origional with better make up on the Grandad, more tasty chunks taken out of the victims, and a completely new cannibal hideout--this time, underground and made entirely of human/animal bones.

This time we see a single girl at the hands of the madmen as opposed to 5 kids in a myster van. A girl who works as a radio DJ gets a phone call on the air from 2 gung-ho party idiots who stay on the air all night...until they get butched while driving by fellow road-hogs. The girl goes to the local Sherrif with a hunch that the tape may prove as an explanation to the murders going on in texas over the years. Mayham follows when the trio learn of the tape, and invade the radio station, kidnapping the girl, etc etc

The movie has it's funny momments, with a senile, almost zombie like grandad trying to take out our heroes with a workman's hammer, etc. The most disapointing thing about this movie is the lack of realism-- the first was all about reality because the events actually took place, and many of teh same scenes from teh first are simply being redone, only thuis time more elaborate. It's worth a watch though...

***8/10***

The Buzz is back...kind of.

Author: DNDRKOWILLSAVEUS from ohio
29 August 2002

I'm not a huge fan of the first but i do recognize the fact that it is a landmark movie. The second is gorier, longer, and a hell of a lot harder to watch. This one unlike the first is crystal clear and the blood, guts, a terror-ridden faces shine bright on the screen. The first one had a very small budget and was very grainy, whereas this one is way more polished. One of the perks of the first one was that a lot of the violence and gore were hard to see, in this one it's very clear and in your face. Still it's a decent sequel for what it's worth.

What the heck ??

Author: Moonknight31 from St. Charles
29 August 2002

The first was a classic, but this is just trash to say the least. Im not sure what Tobe Hooper was trying get across when he made this and whatever it was it didn't work. Stick with the first movie it maybe less gory but overall it's 100 times better.