IMDb > The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
Page 8 of 25: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Dennis Hopper's wooden performance, unfunny attempts at dark humor nearly kill rushed, mediocre 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre' sequel

Author: Michael Pilkington (mjpilkington@yahoo.com) from Richmond, CA
18 November 2003

Dennis Hopper stars as an ex-Texas Ranger seeking revenge on the murderous chainsaw-wielding family responsible for murdering members of his family from the previous installment. Meanwhile, a radio deejay (Caroline Williams) recorded one of their grisly murders and played it on the air only to upset Cook (Jim Siedow, the only returning actor from the original), Chop Top (Bill Moseley), and Leatherface (Bill Johnson).

Tobe Hooper is back as director, but unfortunately the sequel is rushed and (surprisingly) mediocre. Instead of keeping the eerie atmosphere and suspense that worked in the original, he throws in touches of dark humor that barely works. The crazed family is no longer scary, but rather obnoxious and annoying. Hopper must have needed the money for his wooden performance. His chainsaw battle with Leatherface is lame. Tom Savini provided the cheesy gory effects. My evaluation: *½ out of ****.

These are the parts I liked...

Author: redskin999 from Atlanta, Georgia
9 November 2003

SPOILER!!!! 1. When the two idiots at the beginning saw leatherface`s truck.

2. When the driver of the two idiot`s car... I mean, when the driver had part of his head cut off.

3. When the old fart ``Lefty'' bought the chainsaws.

4. When stretch was forced to wear the other guy`s face.

5. When the girl pulled the chainsaw from leatherfaces mom ,and it looked like the head from Friday The 13th 3: 3-D.

Thank you for listening to my junk. Now i`ll be at A Nightmare On Elm Street!!!!!!!!!

More yummy than Drayton Sawyers award winning chili.

Author: (king_jack_the_wicked@hotmail.com) from Frakes, Ky
27 October 2003

Doesn't it bother you when you read these reviews, both of fans and of "pros". An opinion is one thing, I have one, you have one - we all do... but what about the people who seem to take it too far, too serious. That was the case with this movie I do believe. People dogged it and killed it in reviews, it was a great horror movie, what were you expecting GONE WITH THE WIND?

The first movie came out in 1974 introducing the world to Leatherface, chainsaw slaughter, hillbilly hobbies and the vision of Tobe hooper. None of which impressed me much, I did have a bit of a place in my heart for Bubba "Leatherface" Sawyer - still think he is one of the best things to happen to horror films. Tobe Hooper, however is not something I feel that's added much to horror, in fact Texas chainsaw and its impact WERE all that anyone felt from him. FUNHOUSE, INVADERS FROM MARS, LIFEFORCE were all dull and forgettable and POLTERGEIST was a perfect film, but it's so obvious that Spielburg directed that film just let Tobe hold the camera. I have watched almost every film of Tobe's in the last couple days with the exception of the 3 I don't have. I decided that I wanted to watch different directors; Raimi, Carpenter, Craven, P. Jackson, Romero, etc. and try to feel which one really spoke to me most - just as far as direction goes, not story or anything else, but enjoying everything about it as I watch.

TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE 2 was one of the first movies I ever bought back in the very late eighties or early 90's. One of the first 10 movies I bought and now I have thousands - so maybe it holds a place in my heart for that fact, all I know is I like it alot.

Tobe's direction is nothing amazing as I expected, but don't get me wrong he's not bad, just simply not unique. The story was not scary but not many films are. Gunnar admitted that when he played Leatherface in the first film that he based him on a mentally retarded person. Given a fact like that and seeing how his family were hillbilly lunatics it was hard to take it very seriously, so when I hear people complain about part two being more funny I have to argue that that was the only way to make it. If they had tried to make Leatherface really mean it would've been totally unbelieveable. His murder skills and madness were taught to him, he simply didn't know any better, so making him a killjoy slasher would've been wrong.

The cast of this movie was great. The guy with the metal plate in his head was wonderful - All you Primus fans out there might remember the song "Jerry was a Race Car Driver" from the SAILING THE SEAS OF CHEESE album in 1991 where a sample of Chop Top saying "Dog will hunt" can be heard. I am sad Gunnar Hansen didnt play Leatherface in it, but the guy who did wasn't so bad. Dennis Hopper in this movie is still somewhat of a shock to me, but he was great in it. The female dj "Stretch" is not a very familiar face, even though I have seen her in a few other horrors - is it just me or does she remind you of Laurie Metcalf (Jackie from ROSEANNE).Last but definatley not least the wonderful Jim Siedow (Drayton Sawyers), he was in the first Texas massacre also and just really has more depth than any one person from these movies. I can say I don't wan't to taste his chili though, made of only the finest human meat. Draytons encounter with Lefty (Hopper) will be one he, nor his ass will ever forget.

The battlefields and radio station and even the bridge made for great settings. Fun to watch all the murder and chases and such go on there and if nothing else watch this movie to see people sword-like fighting with huge chainsaws - Thats Entertainment!

With all that said and out of the way I will get back to my original point about this being a horror movie, a sequel at that, given an X rating for violence and it's a slasher movie - some of us like it, some like me, love them. When I go to buy a horror and it shows a guy holding a chainsaw on the box, I know what Im getting, I go home and I enjoy it - some are better than others, some downright SUCK! but I knew what I was getting and didnt expect it to be a life changing film.

I am sick and tired of people dogging horror movies. It never stops....

You know if it cost hundreds of millions of dollars to make and is directed by James Cameron that it's gonna be massive, you know if Tom Cruise or Tom Hanks is in it that it's gonna be massive, and you also know that when you get a movie like this what you are about to watch, so if you know you're going to hate it, then don't watch it and come here and put it down, unless youre a horror movie fan and have earned the right.

FREDDY V/S JASON, TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, JEEPERS CREEPERS 2 and movies like that have lead the box office this year - so maybe critics, movie companies and everyone will see that horror is what the fans want and have always wanted. We've got to keep horror on top and maybe movie companies will start dishing out money for horror film makers and start promoting horror more, one can only hope.

TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE 2 - the kind of horror movie I like 7 out of ten stars

Texas Chainsaw 2 Points to Ponder

Author: yipching
15 September 2003

Leatherface was scary when he was Leatherface, but in TCM2 we learn that his name is Bubba. I dunno, maybe he was called Bubba in the 1st. I don't quite remember. Bubba just doesn't move me in the same manner.

The concept is very disturbing: cannibals of such inferior genetics that they look 10 times worse than the creepiest backwoods hick that you've ever seen. You know the type: bad skin, bad teeth and that look about them that makes Darwin's entire theory flash by in a nanosecond.

But as gross, disturbing and slightly shocking as TCM2 can be, there is one point I can't get past. Bubba and family aren't anything beyond creepy, de-evolved cannibals. They don't have powers, they aren't killing via dreams; they aren't able to absorb bullets and come back to life. This isn't like the first movie where it is teens or whatever that are in the middle of nowhere and are stuck at their little fortress of human nutrition; rather there are 2 people who both end up in the Leatherface stronghold by seeking it out. Unarmed. No police. Well, Dennis Hopper ends up bringing a weapon: a chainsaw. 3 of them.

Disturbing he may be, but if you think about it a well thrown rock would be enough to disable Mr. Leatherface and his 65 year old father. A 12 year old with a modicum of common sense, a .38 snub nose and 6 bullets could have sunk 2 in each of the bad guys in this movie, and there wouldn't have been any coming back to life or whatever other supernatural power you can muster. I can't help but think of this as I watch it, and therefor I have no sympathy for the broad that ends up terrorized, nor am I impressed by Mr. Hopper's Ramboesque infiltration and destruction of the underground lair etc. etc.

That alone makes this a very dumb, dumb movie, but hey maybe I was in a particularly bad mood as I watched it. Or, maybe not.

part 2 much better than first one

Author: Freya(sableOnBlond) the-real-roobeemoon from orbiting around Marz
1 September 2003

I like this flick a lot. Great summer horror. I liked the original TCM , but this has a lot more depth to it.

I dont find either of the two all that scary - but I just like the feeling that part 2 gives its viewer. The best part is when Leatherface and his brother (I forget his name) - go to the radio station to kill off the chick DJ. Leatherfaces' brother was the totally freaky guy from the first one - and hes even more of a mess in this one. I wouldnt laugh at this flick and I would not be scared to watch it late at night , alone and in the dark. I just think that it is a great item to have in any horror fanatics collection.

Still better than The Next Generation

Author: cwillis_m from OH.
11 July 2003

I had conflicting feelings as I was watching "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2." There were times when I really thought it might be going somewhere, then there were moments that I thought were stupid or goofy. I believe this movie is meant as a parody of the original TCM. I liked some of the humor in it, particularly the scene where Dennis Hopper goes to the chain saw store. I can't help but think that the movie could have easily been better than what it is, since there is some good material in it. I liked the idea of Stretch getting a murder on tape at the very beginning of the movie, and this putting her in danger. That's a pretty good idea, but there's so many strange moments in it that seem to take away from it.

As it may sound, I'm still trying to sort out my thoughts on this movie. It has it's moments, and it's a masterpiece compared to "TCM: The Next Generation," but falls far, far, far short from the original, but I'll still give it a 6 out of 10.

The buzz is back - better late than never....

Author: templer_doom (templer_doom@yahoo.co.uk)
23 June 2003

The UK fans, myself included, waited 15 years for this eagerly anticipated sequel to Hooper's classic horror film. LEATHERFACE turned up at the now defunct Scala cinema in London in a double bill with THE HILLS HAVE EYES and the reaction by both critics and cinemagoers was muted,since the film played for about a week in the West End of London at one screen.

For me, I am one of the pro-CHAINSAW 2 lobby. Granted, the logistics of the piece and the fact that some elements may well have been missed in the mix (no doubt due to the Cannon Group's insistence on an 'R'rating) but you cannot fault that CHAINSAW 2 has a dynamite opening when the college boys are turned into bacon by Leatherface.

Of the films Hooper did with Cannon, this stands head and shoulders above LIFEFORCE and INVADERS FROM MARS (the strangest remake of a 50's film I have ever seen) It may not have won the critics over, but it is still a damn fine horror sequel and one of the best ever produced over the years. I hope that Universal will have the decency to release a widescreen version of the FUNHOUSE at some point, with all the trimmings to replace my tired old VHS copy.

The Only Good "TCM" Sequel

Author: Codename-MovieBuff
16 June 2003

This movie isn't that bad. Actually, I thought it was almost as good

as the original. It's definetely gorier, but there was really no gore in

the first one. But hey let's face it, gore or no gore, nothing is going

to top the masterpiece that is "Texas Chainsaw Massacre", but

this movie makes a decent effort. I would recommend this movie

over any of the other sequels, in fact the others should have never

been made in the first place. Ignore the poor ratings and bad

reviews. Don't compare it to the original, just watch and enjoy. 7/10 stars.

Insanity Unleashed

Author: Joseph "God" Jordan (angelmengele@hotmail.com) from NYC, United States
30 May 2003

It is not often that a film manages to be simultaneously terrifying, comic, ridiculous, disturbing, absurd, alienating and affecting, but this well-written, masterfully directed and amazingly performed feast for the eyes, ears and mind certainly achieves just this. Taking the cast of killers from TCM and supplanting them in the hypocritical, amoral, success-crazed America of the 1980's, Tobe Hooper uses cannibalism as a metaphor for capitalism (a feat accomplished just as successfully several years later by Wes Craven's superb satire "The People Under the Stairs") and takes the guns out of the hands of the vengeful (if not thoughtful) cowboys of the USA and replaces them with chainsaws. This is a larger than life world where ambition takes the place of reason, pop-culture replaces the idea and the "moral" are more destructive than their flesh-eating, chilli-cooking, radio-blasting quarry. The film is the great landscape on which the battle between "good" and "evil" takes place, though neither role is so simply defined. The "good" Texas Ranger seeking "justice" proves to be completely ineffectual or inadvertantly malignant, while his opponents (which include the moneyhungry cook from TCM, an insane former-hippy-cum-war-veteran music lover, the love-crazed manchild Leatherface and, finally, Grandpa and the Hitchhiker from TCM [named Nubbins], both of which are of dubious vitality) are so steeped in madness that their (often unsuccessful) acts of malice take on a playful, insanely logical quality that can hardly be deemed "evil." Amidst this sea of chaos are a small town Radio DJ looking to make it big and her smitten, ill-fated cohort, destined for slaughter or stardom. The great battle takes place at an abandoned amusement park where brutal battles were once re-enacted and celebrated. See this film if you enjoy intelligent satire, scathing comedy, chainsaw-phalluses, dead skin masks or the brutal murder of teenage yuppies.

Rather lousy

Author: valens-69 from New York
15 May 2003

Radio host Stretch(Caroline Williams) keeps getting annoying phone calls from two men, while on the phone with her they're killed.

Stretch has it all on tape and takes it to Lefty(Dennis Hopper) a former Texas Ranger.

Stretch now finds herself under attack from Leatherface(Bill Johnson) and his psycho family.

Lefty now must come and rescue her and take down the family.

Jim Siedow is the only cast member to return and gives a funny performance.

But Bill Moseley steals the show as Chop Top.

Bill Moseley is the only reason to watch.

Bill Johnson is horrible as Leatherface he puts shame to the role originally played by Gunnar Hansen

L.M Kit Carson wrote the script and did a lousy job, and Tobe Hooper Director of the original TCM returns.

Tobe Hooper made one of the greatest horror films of all time in the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre and since then has made a bunch of lousy films.

And here with TCM 2 he shows once again he is nothing more then a hack who got really lucky the first time around.

Or maybe Tobe Hooper made enough money after the original TCM that he just didn't care.

It's shame cause TCM was just amazing, Hooper showed what a talented young director he was.

Everytime i watch the original i think what could have been with Tobe Hooper but he turned out to be a hack.

At times TCM 2 is more of a dark comedy mixed with horror if it would gone in one direction it might have been a better film.

The only reason to watch is Bill Moseley he had me laughing the whole way through.

If you're too rent this just watch Moseley's scenes and you won't have to suffer with one lousy movie.

Tom Savini does the F/X