IMDb > The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
Page 7 of 25: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

A Worthy Sequel

Author: Cannibal-Feast
4 December 2003

I picked up The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 the other day for $10. I saw this movie once many many years ago. It was actually the first TCM movie I ever saw. Despite lots of criticism, I found it to be pretty damn good. It worked well as a sequel and was worthy of the TCM name. They should have left the franchise alone after that and never produced the train wreck that was TCM 3. I haven't even seen part 4 yet. I understand it is pretty horrible. I will probably buy it anyway just to complete the set. But I digress. This thread is about TCM 2. Great horror movie with a healthy splash of comedy. Very worthy to follow up TCM and carry its name. Dennis Hopper was cheesey as hell but absolutely perfect. Caroline Williams was the perfect horror movie hotty, although she screamed too much. Even Leatherface was pretty good. Bill Johnson managed to carry himself in much the same way as Gunnar Hanson. Jim Siedow was absolutely great reprising his role as Drayton Sawyer. The movie probably would not have worked without him. My only gripes are as follows. How the hell did the hitch hiker survive getting run over? I thought it was pretty clear that he was dead at the end of the first one. Although I did like the character in this one. And how did Grandpa get so much more energy in this one? Anyway, great movie overall. If you think it's unworthy, look again. You may be surprised.

Quite Possibly My All Time Favorite Movie ! ( :

Author: DrummerDude714 from California
28 November 2003

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 is quite possibly my all time favorite movie....I first saw this great film back in 1990 when I was 9 years old....I remember the day my mom took me to the video store and I came home with Chainsaw 2....theres just something I really like about this movies.....its a movie I still watch at least every couple weeks....theres just something spceal about this one to me....its got a great cast....Caroline Williams- man, I have had the hots for this babe since the 4th grade...hehe....Bill Mosley- this dude rocks....some of the greatest, and funniest lines ever ( 'lick my plate you'..... :))....Jim Seidow- a horror icon in my eyes....I am so glad they got him to return for this sequal...if they wouldnt have gotten him back for this one...to me, it would have not been half as great as it turned out ( just like the last few chainsaw movies were, without him)...and Leatherface- this man needs no introduction- the star of the chainsaw movies forever \m/ But anyway...I cant say enough about this great film...I know I will never get tired of it.....this movie has it all- gore, action, commedy, Beutiful women, great memorable, and funny lines, a great cast....this one is very hard to top.....Long live 2 of the greatest movies ever made, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1, and 2 !!! \m/ ( :

" You got one choice boy...sex, or the saw...sex is,...well, nobody knows...but, the saw...the saw is Family !"

RIP Jim Seidow- You will be missed,...but never forgotten.

Don't waste your time

Author: fep_3000 from Ohio
27 November 2003

The hard to please critic

"texas chainsaw massacre 2" Spoiler alert!!! Ok in the beggining these 2 guys are in a car shooting state signs. Then they play chicken or some idiotic game with someone unknown in the car. Then later that night the car drives close and starts ramming them. They keep going the same way (god knows why) and leatherface chops the side of the car off. Then chops half the head of the driver.(which looks like ketchup squirting out of his head). Then its all downhill from there. Leatherface likes this girl and instead of killing her he rubs his chainsaw on her. Then leatherface goes to his house and the girl follows him! She gets trapped then "lefty" the sherrif goes and looks like a retard chainsawing down boards and other junk. At the end the father of leather face throws a grenade and it shows The radio station girl at the top of this mountain moving her chainsaw around yelling. My advice is don't waste your money on this no plotted movie. It shouldn't be called "the texas chainsaw massacre 2" because no one died. The only scary part is the work of the actors and this film alone. Overall grade: F

That's one mighty long bridge they drive across!!!

Author: toxiemite from Melbourne, Australia
19 November 2003

This is a very underrated film. Down here in Australia it is actually banned (which is ludicrous) and the majority of horror buffs haven't been able to see it (not everyone imports).

What bothers me is that the rest of the world spits and curses all over this film. Why? They say it shows us what the original only lets us imagine..... so what? Didnt most of you see the original for the first time expecting to see the violence?

Yes, yes, I agree that the absense of blood and gore in the original was it's main strengh. However, the formula was exorcised and executed... time to move on to the next chapter.... which is probably more disturbing when you watch it properly. I mean, the blatent use of gore and the insane humour which it's delivered with is very disturbing.

The character of the 'father' is probably closer related to Ed Gein than what he was in the original... and seeing as they attribute the inspiration for TCM from Ed Gein, It would suggest to me that this second film is a success! The character of 'Chop-Top' adds to the disturbance of the film even more. His over the top sense of humour is greatly misjudged. As a viewer, his irritating and immature ranting and raving makes me feel very uneasy. While we have one character feeling violated and blood-caked on the ground, we have Chop-Top standing over them prancing around like a child, relishing every suffering moment.

This is a highly original film (for it's time) and a very worthy follow up. Do not rate this movie in comparison with the original film.... both aim to shock the audience from different angles... and if viewed correctly, this one should hit you right in the jugular.

I rate this film 7 corpses out of 10.

Not as good as the first one but still okay

Author: Kory Kane (badgirlkane@yahoo.com)
18 November 2003

I don't have a lot of praise for this sequel which is by no means as bad as the sequels that followed this one but is no where as great as the 1st film. And considering Tobe Hooper who directed both movies is still on helm here as the auter, WHAT HAPPENED??? Still has cool gore scenes especially where the character Stretch played by b-movie actress Caroline Williams has to wear her best buds stripped off facial skin and then dance a little with Leatherface. And how in the hell did they get Dennis Hopper for this movie?? Bill Mosely steal the show as he does in the equally dissapointing more recent horror film that directy rips off the TCM films House of a 1,000 Corpses. Bill is great as Chop-Top. ** out of *****.

Dennis Hopper's wooden performance, unfunny attempts at dark humor nearly kill rushed, mediocre 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre' sequel

Author: Michael Pilkington (mjpilkington@yahoo.com) from Richmond, CA
18 November 2003

Dennis Hopper stars as an ex-Texas Ranger seeking revenge on the murderous chainsaw-wielding family responsible for murdering members of his family from the previous installment. Meanwhile, a radio deejay (Caroline Williams) recorded one of their grisly murders and played it on the air only to upset Cook (Jim Siedow, the only returning actor from the original), Chop Top (Bill Moseley), and Leatherface (Bill Johnson).

Tobe Hooper is back as director, but unfortunately the sequel is rushed and (surprisingly) mediocre. Instead of keeping the eerie atmosphere and suspense that worked in the original, he throws in touches of dark humor that barely works. The crazed family is no longer scary, but rather obnoxious and annoying. Hopper must have needed the money for his wooden performance. His chainsaw battle with Leatherface is lame. Tom Savini provided the cheesy gory effects. My evaluation: *½ out of ****.

These are the parts I liked...

Author: redskin999 from Atlanta, Georgia
9 November 2003

SPOILER!!!! 1. When the two idiots at the beginning saw leatherface`s truck.

2. When the driver of the two idiot`s car... I mean, when the driver had part of his head cut off.

3. When the old fart ``Lefty'' bought the chainsaws.

4. When stretch was forced to wear the other guy`s face.

5. When the girl pulled the chainsaw from leatherfaces mom ,and it looked like the head from Friday The 13th 3: 3-D.

Thank you for listening to my junk. Now i`ll be at A Nightmare On Elm Street!!!!!!!!!

More yummy than Drayton Sawyers award winning chili.

Author: (king_jack_the_wicked@hotmail.com) from Frakes, Ky
27 October 2003

Doesn't it bother you when you read these reviews, both of fans and of "pros". An opinion is one thing, I have one, you have one - we all do... but what about the people who seem to take it too far, too serious. That was the case with this movie I do believe. People dogged it and killed it in reviews, it was a great horror movie, what were you expecting GONE WITH THE WIND?

The first movie came out in 1974 introducing the world to Leatherface, chainsaw slaughter, hillbilly hobbies and the vision of Tobe hooper. None of which impressed me much, I did have a bit of a place in my heart for Bubba "Leatherface" Sawyer - still think he is one of the best things to happen to horror films. Tobe Hooper, however is not something I feel that's added much to horror, in fact Texas chainsaw and its impact WERE all that anyone felt from him. FUNHOUSE, INVADERS FROM MARS, LIFEFORCE were all dull and forgettable and POLTERGEIST was a perfect film, but it's so obvious that Spielburg directed that film just let Tobe hold the camera. I have watched almost every film of Tobe's in the last couple days with the exception of the 3 I don't have. I decided that I wanted to watch different directors; Raimi, Carpenter, Craven, P. Jackson, Romero, etc. and try to feel which one really spoke to me most - just as far as direction goes, not story or anything else, but enjoying everything about it as I watch.

TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE 2 was one of the first movies I ever bought back in the very late eighties or early 90's. One of the first 10 movies I bought and now I have thousands - so maybe it holds a place in my heart for that fact, all I know is I like it alot.

Tobe's direction is nothing amazing as I expected, but don't get me wrong he's not bad, just simply not unique. The story was not scary but not many films are. Gunnar admitted that when he played Leatherface in the first film that he based him on a mentally retarded person. Given a fact like that and seeing how his family were hillbilly lunatics it was hard to take it very seriously, so when I hear people complain about part two being more funny I have to argue that that was the only way to make it. If they had tried to make Leatherface really mean it would've been totally unbelieveable. His murder skills and madness were taught to him, he simply didn't know any better, so making him a killjoy slasher would've been wrong.

The cast of this movie was great. The guy with the metal plate in his head was wonderful - All you Primus fans out there might remember the song "Jerry was a Race Car Driver" from the SAILING THE SEAS OF CHEESE album in 1991 where a sample of Chop Top saying "Dog will hunt" can be heard. I am sad Gunnar Hansen didnt play Leatherface in it, but the guy who did wasn't so bad. Dennis Hopper in this movie is still somewhat of a shock to me, but he was great in it. The female dj "Stretch" is not a very familiar face, even though I have seen her in a few other horrors - is it just me or does she remind you of Laurie Metcalf (Jackie from ROSEANNE).Last but definatley not least the wonderful Jim Siedow (Drayton Sawyers), he was in the first Texas massacre also and just really has more depth than any one person from these movies. I can say I don't wan't to taste his chili though, made of only the finest human meat. Draytons encounter with Lefty (Hopper) will be one he, nor his ass will ever forget.

The battlefields and radio station and even the bridge made for great settings. Fun to watch all the murder and chases and such go on there and if nothing else watch this movie to see people sword-like fighting with huge chainsaws - Thats Entertainment!

With all that said and out of the way I will get back to my original point about this being a horror movie, a sequel at that, given an X rating for violence and it's a slasher movie - some of us like it, some like me, love them. When I go to buy a horror and it shows a guy holding a chainsaw on the box, I know what Im getting, I go home and I enjoy it - some are better than others, some downright SUCK! but I knew what I was getting and didnt expect it to be a life changing film.

I am sick and tired of people dogging horror movies. It never stops....

You know if it cost hundreds of millions of dollars to make and is directed by James Cameron that it's gonna be massive, you know if Tom Cruise or Tom Hanks is in it that it's gonna be massive, and you also know that when you get a movie like this what you are about to watch, so if you know you're going to hate it, then don't watch it and come here and put it down, unless youre a horror movie fan and have earned the right.

FREDDY V/S JASON, TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, JEEPERS CREEPERS 2 and movies like that have lead the box office this year - so maybe critics, movie companies and everyone will see that horror is what the fans want and have always wanted. We've got to keep horror on top and maybe movie companies will start dishing out money for horror film makers and start promoting horror more, one can only hope.

TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE 2 - the kind of horror movie I like 7 out of ten stars

Texas Chainsaw 2 Points to Ponder

Author: yipching
15 September 2003

Leatherface was scary when he was Leatherface, but in TCM2 we learn that his name is Bubba. I dunno, maybe he was called Bubba in the 1st. I don't quite remember. Bubba just doesn't move me in the same manner.

The concept is very disturbing: cannibals of such inferior genetics that they look 10 times worse than the creepiest backwoods hick that you've ever seen. You know the type: bad skin, bad teeth and that look about them that makes Darwin's entire theory flash by in a nanosecond.

But as gross, disturbing and slightly shocking as TCM2 can be, there is one point I can't get past. Bubba and family aren't anything beyond creepy, de-evolved cannibals. They don't have powers, they aren't killing via dreams; they aren't able to absorb bullets and come back to life. This isn't like the first movie where it is teens or whatever that are in the middle of nowhere and are stuck at their little fortress of human nutrition; rather there are 2 people who both end up in the Leatherface stronghold by seeking it out. Unarmed. No police. Well, Dennis Hopper ends up bringing a weapon: a chainsaw. 3 of them.

Disturbing he may be, but if you think about it a well thrown rock would be enough to disable Mr. Leatherface and his 65 year old father. A 12 year old with a modicum of common sense, a .38 snub nose and 6 bullets could have sunk 2 in each of the bad guys in this movie, and there wouldn't have been any coming back to life or whatever other supernatural power you can muster. I can't help but think of this as I watch it, and therefor I have no sympathy for the broad that ends up terrorized, nor am I impressed by Mr. Hopper's Ramboesque infiltration and destruction of the underground lair etc. etc.

That alone makes this a very dumb, dumb movie, but hey maybe I was in a particularly bad mood as I watched it. Or, maybe not.

part 2 much better than first one

Author: Freya(sableOnBlond) the-real-roobeemoon from orbiting around Marz
1 September 2003

I like this flick a lot. Great summer horror. I liked the original TCM , but this has a lot more depth to it.

I dont find either of the two all that scary - but I just like the feeling that part 2 gives its viewer. The best part is when Leatherface and his brother (I forget his name) - go to the radio station to kill off the chick DJ. Leatherfaces' brother was the totally freaky guy from the first one - and hes even more of a mess in this one. I wouldnt laugh at this flick and I would not be scared to watch it late at night , alone and in the dark. I just think that it is a great item to have in any horror fanatics collection.