IMDb > The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
Page 5 of 27: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Highly entertaining sequel to a horror classic!

Author: Horror_Metal from United States
11 September 2013

Twelve years after Sally Hardesty escaped the clutches of Leatherface (Bill Johnson) and his sadistic clan, her uncle Lefty (Dennis Hopper) gets help from a local radio DJ named Stretch (Caroline Williams) to put an end to these brutal crimes once and for all. He arms himself with three chainsaws and infiltrates their underground hideout after Stretch is kidnapped. It seems that Leatherface has a huge crush on her, and apparently wants to keep her alive despite the protests of his brothers. Lefty finally arrives at the lair of the murderous psychopaths ready to exact his revenge. But the evil cannibals aren't going to go down without a fight. Let's rev up the chainsaws and go at it!

This followup to one of the greatest horror films of all time takes a completely different approach than the original and I, for one, completely respected that. It's hard to capture that kind of magic twice in a row. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2 is gorier, more action packed, and way more humorous. This movie is filled with several scenes of slapstick comedy which, in my opinion, serve the film very well. Lefty, played by the always excellent Dennis Hopper, is one of the coolest horror film protagonists ever and his determination to bring the demented Sawyer family down is what kept me so entertained while watching this awesome flick. He and Caroline Williams have great chemistry. I also thought that Bill Johnson was a great Leatherface (though he comes nowhere near Gunnar Hansen) and loved seeing Jim Siedow reprise his role as Drayton from the first movie. Chop Top (played by genre favorite Bill Moseley), an extension of the Hitchhiker character from the original, is a really fun character and stole every scene he was in. I really loved the underground tunnel setting as well. This film isn't without its flaws (that ending seemed rushed and was way too abrupt) but the groovy chainsaw duel during the climax of the film more than makes up for it. All in all, this is an extremely fun movie and a worthy successor to the original masterpiece!

Best TCM sequel

Author: Sorpse from Canada
23 February 2013

currently there are 6 TCM movies out and this movie has yet to be topped. it is in my opinion the best sequel to TCM. Every other film in this franchise has basically been a remake of the origonal with slight changes and TCM2 is easilly the most origonal. SPOILERS First of all they change the setting, instead of taking place at a house this one is in a abandoned cole mine. I thought this was a great place to have the hideout and allowed for some original scares. Another change was the characters. Of course we have the famous leatherface character but for the only time in TCM history (including the following 4 sequels/remakes/prequels)there are actually some likable characters. The sheriff was badass. The scene of him having a chainsaw battle with leatherface who is battling with a chainsaw through the stomache was awesome. Also just the scenes of the sheriff holding the duel chainsaws was great. The female lead 'stretch' also did a great job. in horror movies a lot of the time we are treated to sub par acting but the actress who played stretch did a very good job. A returning character was grandpa who came back for the essential dinner scene and looks uglier than ever, One other notable moment was when stretch is forced to wear the skin of her coworker who wakes up and has a conversation with her while she wearing his face! this was cool stuff. Even better is when hes doing his signature 'spit' so you are reminded who the guy with no face is haha. Again i say this is by far the second best chainsaw massacre after 6 installments. The ending was super cool too with stretch standing atop the mine swinging the chainsaw, memorable stuff.

"I'm the Lord of the Harvest."

Author: Scott LeBrun (Hey_Sweden) from Canada
24 September 2012

Tobe Hooper follows up his legendary shocker with this dozen years belated sequel, which he'd always intended to be outrageous in a different sort of way. Things still get pretty intense, but there is a more blatantly humorous approach (albeit in a dark way): "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2" is very campy stuff. Therefore, it may take more than one viewing to be able to appreciate it, as was the case for this viewer. Gone, also, is the suggestion of horrible violence, to be replaced by much more obvious, in-your-face gore supervised by makeup effects master Tom Savini. And he does some extremely impressive work here.

The story has a nutty former Texas Ranger, "Lefty" Enright (Dennis Hopper) obsessed with revenge against the cannibalistic Sawyer clan, as he turns out to be the uncle of the Sally and Franklin characters from the first film. Lefty leans upon radio DJ "Stretch" Brock (sexy, husky voiced Caroline Williams) to air a tape she'd made of two dim bulb kids being slaughtered by Leatherface while tooling down the highway. This only angers the Sawyer family, who proceed to terrorize Stretch over and over again.

One very effective element to this sequel is its visual design; things are taken to another level in terms of the production design, lighting, and set decoration, as the Sawyers have headquartered in an old run down theme park. The music score, credited to Hooper and Jerry Lambert, is decidedly more conventional than that of the first film, and the eclectic soundtrack includes tunes by the likes of Timbuk 3, Concrete Blonde, The Cramps, and Stewart Copeland. The early set piece on the highway is a great one, and the action in the old park takes on an unrelenting, nightmarish tone, although ultimately it's not quite as effective as the simplicity of the first TCSM.

The acting is over the top from most everybody concerned; Hopper is a hoot in his unhinged performance, Williams does a lot of screaming (so much of it that it may annoy some viewers), Jim Siedow is delightful as the put upon Drayton "Cook" Sawyer, Bill Johnson (replacing Gunnar Hansen) gets to show us a different side of Leatherface, and Bill Moseley, in a hell of a breakthrough performance, is memorable as live wire Chop Top. Ken Evert takes over the role of Grandpa from John Dugan, and Lou Perryman is endearing as good ol' boy L.G.; his final scene with Williams is really fairly poignant.

The screenplay, by L.M. Kit Carson, contains some gems of dialogue, and there's one very enjoyable jump scare during the confrontation sequence at the radio station.

While the excesses of this sequel may not appeal to some tastes, they're bound to delight others. All things considered, this is a pretty good follow-up to a classic film, and is generally regarded as the cult favourite of the series.

Seven out of 10.

Excellent film about family values

Author: robbie bird from United States
6 August 2012

I really dig this film. Cinematography, the dialog, the acting and the special fx are all done very well and helps create a very demented view of a particular families values. The absurdity of the film kicks in immediately as the two preppy dbags encounter Leatherface. The mask behind the mask was a neat touch to a great and surreal introduction scene of our antagonists.

There are truly weird moments, Leatherface and his crush with the main heroine, chili cook off, Choptop at the station (creepy amazing scene), the old guy going nuts as Dennis Hopper tests out his new chainsaws. There are some very funny lines and not in a bad dialog way.

Plenty of black humor and pokes fun of what the genre has become since he blazed the trail with the original Texas Chainsaw.

I highly recommend this film to horror fans especially, that might be bored with the usual stuff. Influential and underrated.

Decent Sequel

Author: moviemajesty from United States
6 December 2011

I was pleasantly surprised by this film. The original Texas Chain Saw Massacre has always been one of my favorite horror films, and I was expecting this film to be a typical poorly made sequel. To my surprise, it was actually fairly entertaining. Although the beginning is slow, it quickly picks up, but doesn't seem to know where it is going, becoming more of a comedy than a horror. At times, the film is able to capture the emotion and intensity of the original. However, other times I was rolling my eyes at the stupidity of some of the scenes. Not to mention some scenes that were directly remade from the original. In the beginning, I thought Caroline Williams was a poor choice to play the main victim of the story, but she definitely proved me wrong, sometimes even reminding me of Sally from the original. Overall, this is a decent sequel that is worth a watch, but don't expect it to be as good as the original.

More equals less.

Author: TOMASBBloodhound from Omaha, NE USA
5 October 2008

A dozen years had passed since Tobe Hooper's classic film The Texas Chainsaw Massacre was made. And you would have thought that Tobe and company would have had time to conjure up a worthy sequel. This time they'd have the money that would allow them just about anything they wanted to create on screen. But after watching this disaster, one cannot help but be reminded of the old adage that "sometimes less is more".

The original film was shot in four weeks under brutal conditions and with a budget that must have run in the tens of thousands of dollars. This time the scale is larger, and most of it obviously shot on actual sets. Tom Savini was on board to provide some disgusting gore that the original lacked. They even had an experienced star like Dennis Hopper to give top billing to. How could this film have missed? Well first of all, the tone is more comedic than frightening. This film is not at all frightening, nor does it seem to be trying to be. The original had a few moments that may have provided a chuckle or two, even if by accident. But it is painfully obvious that nobody is really that concerned with scaring the audience here. Even back then, they had to have known that gore alone is not scary. At the most it only provides the audience with discomfort. So this sequel lacks the suspense, the claustrophobic atmosphere, and basically all of the tension packed into the original. Not a good way to go, Mr. Hooper.

The cast is not bad. You wish Hopper would have a more carefully defined role than that of just an ex(?)-lawman trying to avenge the death of the wheelchair-bound Franklin from part one. Hopper was seeing a career resurgence at this time, and maybe they just figured he'd provide even more zaniness as he battles Leatherface chain saw to chain saw. Hopper would go on to state that this was the worst film he ever made. Jim Siedow is the only returning cast member from part one, and gone is the edginess from his earlier performance. He and Bill Moseley are only going for laughs. Bill Johnson is an active and menacing Leatherface, but here he's made into too much of a sympathetic character by the third act. Caroline Williams is decent enough. She appears to have had a physically demanding role, and she sure knows how to scream.

Go ahead and watch this film if you must. Especially since the Red River football weekend is coming up very soon! But by the time these creeps are chasing Ms. Williams around the bowels of a deserted amusement park, you will be disappointed. You will miss the tension, the atmosphere, and most importantly the scares from part one. Tobe Hooper's career had begun to slip by this point, and this film did him no favors. In fact the films of this series only seemed to get geometrically worse with each additional sequel or new meditation on the original idea. 4 of 10 stars.

The Hound.

Average

Author: killbill_28 from Australia
1 October 2008

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 is set 12 years after the events of the first movie which was released in 1974. For a decade, Taxes Ranger "Lefty" Enright (Dennis Hopper) has been trying to chase down the cannibalistic Sawyer family that killed his brother Franklin 12 years ago. With no help from the local police. Lefty with the help of a local disk jockey, find the Sawyer's underground butcher shop and take matters into there own hands.

Tope Hooper returns to the helm to tell another chilling story and the evil Leatherface and his overpowering chainsaw. The main story was written by L.M. Kit Carson and it was released by the now bankrupted company Cannon films. This film was banned in some country's for 20 years for it's gore and graphic violence, but only two people get killed by the chainsaw in this movie and it's gore isn't as bad as some of the other movies I've seen. The recent "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" made in 2006 was a lot worst then this, the gore which was shown in that film made this one look like it was G rated. But I guess they had different rules back in 1986 when this film was released to the public.

The Taxes Chainsaw Massacre 2 isn't as good as the original. The bigger budget, cheap scares, length and it's comedy was the major flaws in this movie which could had been a lot better. The film does lag half way through once they enter the underground butcher shop. The ending which was also disappointing shows Leatherface having a chainsaw duel with Lefty which ends up with Leatherface coming out second best and the disk jockey doing Leatherface's famous chainsaw dance after she kills "Chop Top".

Just finished watching this for the 1st time and.......

Author: tim-williams-6 from United Kingdom
5 January 2008

I have to say that I was fairly disappointed but not surprised. At first I couldn't see where Tobe Hooper was coming from. It took him 11 years to come up with a sequel and what he has made does not compare to the original, in the way of FEAR! No, he definitely played this for laughs and it shows, but tried to make up for it by employing Tom Savini to pile on the gore and Dennis Hopper for comedy value. Having said this I did enjoy it. The little nutcase with the coat hanger was suitably f**ked up (quite a good scene with him and the DJ when they first meet). Leatherface this time round was by no means scary! What really bugged me was his impression of a limbo dancer every time he'd smash through a wall or a door, close to his victim. This is a silly little sequel, but well worth watching. I read the review of this from the Radio Times which I usually find pretty good value. They view this film with very high regard – very odd. When you first start reading it it's as if your reading a review of Apocalypse Now or something. You think they must have got this wrong, but as you read on you realise that they are talking about the same film!

Sawing into Stardom

Author: John Crane from United States
7 December 2007

This sequel, unlike the original classic, was like an acid trip with extra acid. Not that I'm saying it was horrible or that it was the best thing to hit horror cinema, what I am saying is that it seemed a bit too cheesy and b-movie-ish. It wasn't scary as much as it was disturbing, but at the same time it seemed like a comedy and there were many points where it was a bit too over the top. The acting was descent, the cinematography (special effects and lighting) where way over the top, the plot was worn out and the scares were replaced by some good laughs. It was not the original and it had far more impossibilities than any other Tobe Hooper film I have seen. In this case, Texas Chainsaw 2 was okay and worth watching.

First off, the acting was okay, it wasn't Oscar worthy but it certainly wasn't the worst acting I have seen. Bill Moseley, who plays Chop Top, does a real good performance capturing the demented and mentally damaged war veteran who has an obsession of transforming the theme park into NamLand. Ken Evert, was okay and did a somewhat good job recapturing the personality of the grandpa from the original, but in this movie he ads a bit more comic relief (i.e. the people he cuts up is used for award winning Chile). Dennis Hooper, whom I'm surprised to see, did a fairly silent and random character that is out for revenge. Now, giving the fact he was brilliant in Easy Rider, this film was a step below his acting career. In the movie he seems a bit over the top (when he goes nuts with the chainsaws), and at points seemed as if he did this for fun. In this film, Leatherface was not a maniac that had faces resemble his personality, but seemed more like a young boy who has fallen in love and throws temper tantrums. This reworking of Leatherface, to me, proved to be a disaster and a step below the personality of the original killer.

The plot is vastly different from the original; basically a radio hostess hears a brutal murder over the phone and is later kidnapped by the very same cannibalistic family. A renegade cop searching for redemption is proved to find the culprits even if it means destroying the entire place with duel chainsaws in a spaghetti western style showdown. However, some of the stuff that could have been vastly scary or disturbing turned out to be a bit funny and gross. They try to bring back that iconic scene from the original with the old man and the hammer, but this one backfired and proved to be comic rather than horrific. Some things that made this plot line seem a bit too unnatural was the use of some extreme impossibilities that was used in this film. Examples like: standing up on a car and killing people in the other vehicle with chainsaw, a skinless man walking and talking and having two huge chainsaws hanging from a belt. They seemed so cheesy and out of the blue that it was enjoyable. It was just way different from the original and I guess that is okay.

The one thing that I really like that the other one did not have was the extreme use of camera angles, lighting and tone of the film. These aspects were so over the top that it made up for some of the poor audio and music. The lighting, especially at night, were very colorful and high contrast and seemed to have come straight out of a comic book. In the radio building there was a high contrast of shadowy reds when Moseley's character appears, even higher tones of red and splashes of green when Leatherface appears. In numerous hallways there was dim lighting with obtuse red, green, yellow and blue shapes and oranges in the main dining hall. I think that by utilizing the lights, it really made this movie atmospheric and haunting. The camera angels (mostly seen in the radio station) where amazing and uses a wide variety of zooms and pans. Some of the best pans and trucks were seen in the "cave" where this family lives and one the best zooms is when it zooms out of the dinner table and the girls is crying. With the camera angles, this movie had a bit of a zest to it that I don't see that often in movies of this magnitude.

Overall, this movie was not the worst thing I have ever seen, nor was it the best thing I have ever seen. There was an equal balance of good and bad aspects of this film ranging from bad acting to excellent cinematography and it had a vastly different plot, but was executed wrongly. I enjoyed this film mainly because it was different that your average cannibalistic family tale, this one seemed a bit more on edge and acid driven. Of coarse, it did not frightened me the way I initially hoped, but it did strike me as being very theatrically disturbing and seemed as if it came from the mind of a drugged out hippie. I would recommend this film to any horror fan, partly because its trip and an experience that I think al horror fanatics should be aware of. It's one of those movies it's famous for being famous, and the first of its kind in along sad history of Texas Chainsaw Massacre sequels. (I hated Texas Chainsaw: Next Generation). It's just a fun and wacky film that nobody should miss.

Crazy, gross, funny - Tobe Hooper all the way

Author: Nick Faust (vidfaust1@me.com) from Evansville, Indiana
8 August 2004

OK, so it's not the first one. But how could it be? Texas CHAINSAW MASSACRE is the CITIZEN KANE of horror movies; you don't top that. What this movie does, though, is it takes its crazy ideas and wacks you over the head with them; it goes all the way, and then some. That's the Hooper hallmark. Playing the movie for obvious laughs works to make it even more disturbing. The jokes play against the gruesome carrying on; this is a world gone mad because nothing, and I mean nothing makes sense. We're beyond surreal; we're through the looking glass; which, I think, is Hooper's intention. Stretch falls down the hole - it's not a rabbit hole, and she doesn't meet the mad hatter. But what she does experience is a world that questions sense and sanity. The reason most find this one less satisfying then the first is because it's not seamless; we can see Hooper's gears turning and, unlike the first time, we're actually in on the joke. That aside, Hooper's directorial vision remains consistent. It's not a story, per se, we are following, it's a chase, and we're running, running, running like mad.

Hooper seems to have an unerring ability to get inside the crazies that populate his movies. These weird, disastrous, antisocials he creates have dimensional life; and it's all their own. We follow their thinking, their thought process, and in doing so, the irrational in his movies becomes logical. This is his gift. When he works on material like CROCODILE, where the "monster" is not in some way human, the work stutters and spits. Hooper's mad men are scary because they are human, and their humanity is cleverly displayed. Remember Neville Brand's nutty soliloquies in EATEN ALIVE? Brilliant, I thought. Massacre 2 knows it's being funny, and the surprise we felt in the first one is all but lost. This time, though, instead of surprise, we find ourselves tumbling down the rabbit's hole and we end up with more than we bargained for. Chop Top is one of the weirdest, wildest, funniest, monsters ever put on the screen. Bill Mosley's performance shoots off into areas few actors even know about, much less enter. He is gross, funny, and frightening all at the same time. The crazy things he says are like DaDa ravings; he's the irrational made flesh. Jim Siedow weaves back and forth between rationality and the exact opposite with little or no warning. In truth, he looks like he's on the verge of breaking up throughout the entire movie. The scene where Stretch finds herself tied to a chair at the head of this wildly long table is one of Hooper's finest moments. The entire scene is one long take with the camera tracking into Stretch and then back out over the table, then back in to her, then, yet again, we track back out beyond the table, with Siedow raving on like a mad Baptist minister. The tracking, swooping camera, constantly changing our perspective, creates an almost lyrical sense of grandeur in this mad, mad world; Hooper has let us in on the joke, but he surprises us with such effects because we feel, with the Sawyer clan, the power and drive of their subterranean mania.

Hooper is an extraordinary director. Even when his work misses, there's a power to it. In some way or other he understands what it is to be a lunatic, and his major movies, this one included, celebrates the hysteria while putting us non-lunatics through the ringer.