IMDb > The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
Page 4 of 26: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Downright Stupid - Spoilers

Author: SlayerRob
19 November 2003

Ever seen a running back tear his ACL and return the following season a mere fragment of what he was before?

This movie is like that running back.

It was mentioned in another comment on here how the first movie was a "mindless horror film" and the second one at least had "real people". I must assume this person accidentally switched the DVDs in his/her cases before he/she watched the movie.

The first Texas Chainsaw Massacre was a low-fi, gritty, dark horror film that left a lot up to the imagination and had a generally creepy vibe throughout. The atmosphere was great--a family of murderous cannibals, who even make furniture out of the limbs and skeletons, and Leatherface wears masks made out of skin. The hitchhiker gave a truly great performance with one of the snidest smiles I ever saw, and Marilyn Burns has the best scream I've ever heard. Not a super-intelligent movie, no, but really atmospheric and dark.

This movie is just pure cheese. I am sure some of it was intentional (Chop Top was obviously inserted for comic relief, except I'm not sure what we're being 'relieved' from, since it wasn't scary), but I'm wondering how much wasn't.

The film takes the gore up thirty notches, but most of it is cartoonish and stupid, proving more gore doesn't mean more thrills. Gunnar Hansen is out as Leatherface and his replacement looks like he's trying to do the Funky Chicken while he plays with his chainsaw, and he seriously looks like Quasimodo. Two kids making harassing phone calls to a radio station get sliced to pieces (or at least rubber cutouts of them do) while making the call, and the radio DJ Stretch plays it on the air, prompting a visit from Leathermodo and Chop Top. Leatherface spares her, instead attempting to get her off with his turned-off chainsaw (I am not making this up, I swear). They kill her partner, who they later skin, and leave, and she follows them, where she lands in a body pit.

The remainder of the film is lots of screaming, hollering, and yelling, and Dennis Hopper does his best Barney Phife impersonation, while Drayton Sawyer (the cook) seems to do a complete 180 from his character the previous movie (wasn't he the squeamish one when it came to killings?)

I can't believe what a huge dropoff this is from the first movie. some bits are so bad they're hilarious, but if I want to watch a 'so bad it's good' comedic horror film, I'll watch Evil Dead 2. Actually, that one wasn't 'so bad it's good', the funny bits were cleverly planned.

HORRIBLE movie.

Worst Movie I Have Ever Seen!

Author: Mike from Pasadena, CA
27 March 2003

I went into this film with good intentions. Although the first Texas Chainsaw Massacre was hokey and low budget it was a fine horror film and had good characters. The family was terrific. However, this movie was downright awful. I am still in awe of the badness of this film.

First off, what happened to their house? Somehow they went from a little home in the middle of nowhere in Texas to some sort of underground death theme park. It didn't make any sense and it was stupid. Leatherface falls in love with the DJ or some small radio station and one of the family members has a METAL PLATE in his head. There were too many unintentional laughs in this movie to make it worth your while. At times it was downright awkward watching this movie.

I think the script for this movie must have been about 3 pages long, because everything anyone said was just repeated a hundred times over and over again until I wanted to shoot the TV. In this movie the family isn't even exciting. They are annoying and pathetic and the one guy with the metal plate just laughs throughout the entire movie. It's awful. Everything about this movie it awful.

The real kicker for me though was that in the first movie Leatherface was never reffered to as Leatherface, because his real name is Bubba, but his family in TCM 2 actually called him Leatherface. I couldn't handle it.

Whatever you do, don't see this movie. It was just horrible. Worst thing I have ever seen.

The WORST Horror movie ever made

Author: Mr Pogo from South Amboy, NJ
12 August 2001

First off, let me inform you the the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre was the best horror movie ever, which made this film even worse. I was so excited to see the sequal to my favorite horror movie. Boy was I in for a rude awakening. This movie is nothing but a confusing blob of unfunny black comedy, chili cooking contests, an annoying as hell new guy named "Chop Top", and a guy getting is face cut off and surviving! To top all that off, they ruined Leatherface by giving him emotions, having him fall in love, and by trying to make him look more funny then scary.

Mr. Pogo has spoken.

The worst semi-mainstream movie ever made.

Author: Michael Duplantier from NO, LA
11 April 1999

This is the perfect example of a film that challenged me to rationalize why any production crew with a fairly considerable budget would decide to produce such inexplicable garbage. It's rare when you see a film so elaborate, constructed so rich with visual detail that you get a great sense of atmosphere (the underground setting), but also so terrible in ever other way to cause one to stop and ponder the extent to which films could be made bad all the while cognizant of the fact that it takes many "professional" individuals collectively to take on a project such as this. Basically I ask why? How?

OK. Maybe it isn't THAT bad. I remember renting this with 2 of my friends a couple of years ago. Disbelief abounded. That is the best way I can express laconically the reaction to the sequel to the cult classic TCM. Disbelief as to how the characters could be so corny, the dialogue so bad, the plot so incredibly paper thin. In all honesty, it was so bad it was hilarious, and we have since, on many occasions, recalled some of the films's more memorable scenes such as the one in the beginning when a poor young college boy gets a generous portion of his head sliced off by ole Leatherface himself, despite the fact that he's behind the wheel of a speedy 4x4 and you would think that he would do whatever it took to prevent his brain from being hacked open like a ripe apple (like maybe ducking). Also, the acting by the lead actress was decent.

It was nice I guess to see Dennis Hopper in this film, but I would seriously question his sincerity if he told me personally that the TCM2 was just the dignity injection that his career needed.

1 out of 10.

Correct and much worthier of attention compared to other sequels

Author: antoinecatry from France
15 January 2009

With these lines, I classify TCM 2 as a good and pertinent sequel. I was a 12 year old full of acne when I first rented it at the nearest videostore and completely ignorant at the time of the first one because French cultural institutions were still very reticent towards shocking works-of-art. I recently re watched TCM 2 on DVD and, in possession of many elements of comparison between the 2 films, I am not afraid to put it on an equal level of quality next to its predecessor for the followings :

1) It is a motivated and consistent sequel : the murderous and cannibalistic family is still on the loose. An atrocious series of crimes remained unpunished, which justifies the part of Dennis Hopper, uncle of the Hardestys. 2) The way he accomplishes his vengeance brings laugh, the lone and mystic ranger way, like an angel of retribution with God and saws on his side. The change of tonality was severely criticized but let's face it, had Tobe Hooper filmed the same first-degree tale of horror, fans would have been much harsher. This mixture of western and horror makes it an original and entertaining sequel. So please don't crucify the creator too much ! 3) As in the first one, analysis can be added to pleasure. No matter what savagery the Sawyers commit, they are still victims of recession, unemployment and automation, not just plain psycho-killers. The introduction of Chop Top, Viet Nam veteran brother to Leatherface, constitutes a real point of interest : the superimposition of one tale of historic horror to another one in film. This, in my opinion, refutes any accusation of trivialized violence. Last but not least, the impossible romance of Leatherface simulating a penetration with his saw rather turns him more into a pathetic than crude individual. We would almost sympathize. 4) Some touches of macabre and amoral humor are really enjoyable : the chili contest won by a certain "Sawyer". Would we realize it if we were fed human flesh ? Would we savor it if we were told it was a secret of longevity (cf 137 years old Granpa Sawyer) ? This disturbs and amuses at the same time the horror fan that I am.

As a conclusion, in spite of its commercial failure of the time, this film deserves reconsideration in memory of an age long forgotten, when horror films were not all merely franchises targeted to sex freak teenagers. Ever since what has followed TCM 2, there has not been a single ounce of creativity or interest, apart from a few gore novelties and demonstrations of free sadism : TCM 3 is not about the same family, TCM 4 is just terrible, the 2003 remake and its prequel do not mention cannibalism and clumsily try to tell the youth of Leatherface without any explanation about how he came to be what he is, pointless. TCM and TCM 2 form an efficient diptych to spike a night of boredom or weary tranquility. If you have not seen the others yet, don't waste your time trying !

Massacred my brain...

Author: Treeman222 from United States
7 November 2007

Loud, annoying, headache inducing mess of a sequel. It's a very different film than the first - some defenders of it think that you have to judge it on its own terms. Okay, I am, and it's awful. I like good horror movies. I even like bad ones that are fun to watch. This is just painful. It's not scary, it's not even that gory, and it ain't funny either. It's all screams and blaring chainsaws...not my idea of fun. Dull, plot less and pointless.

Does it make me feel like I'm losing my mind watching it? Yes. Does that make it good? Hell no. Avoid at all costs. Seriously, this is one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

Looks like it, feels like it, but not it!

Author: Jacobi1 from United States
30 October 2006

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre II *1/2

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre 2 is basically a continuation of the first one. Instead of making a brand new movie, the sequel is the same movie expect worse. We don't get the energy from Leatherface, (instead we get a more reasonable one), and the characters are some what annoying. The movie was in trouble at the beginning sequence on the bridge. First question, how long was that bridge, plus wouldn't be easier just to put the brake on. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre 2 is one of the many movie to be destroyed by a film studio. Tobe Hooper wanted to film the why behind the movie, instead the film studio wanted the same movie. Why would anyone want to waste money on a film when you have the same film at home.

This was a mistake

Author: theshadow908 from London, Ontario
8 August 2006

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 picks up 12 years after the original film. Dennis Hopper stars as Sally and Franklin Hardesty's uncle. He is searching for the family of cannibals responsible for their deaths so he can have his revenge. Meanwhile, the cannibalistic family goes after a radio DJ who accidentally recorded a murder. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a cult classic, and since Tobe Hooper returns to the director's chair, you might think this would be a decent sequel. You'd be dead wrong.

When Tobe Hooper directed the first Texas Chainsaw Massacre, he did it on a shoestring budget. It ended up being a cult classic, and the low budget gave it a style all its own. He was given a much bigger budget for this sequel. What he does wrong is take his big budget and try to make it look as low budget as the first film. This doesn't give it style, it makes it look ridiculous. The other big problem is that this movie was turned into a comedy when it should have been horror. The family is now a bunch of bumbling fools, including Leatherface. Leatherface was originally an inhuman killing machine, but now he has mercy toward a woman he's supposed to kill because he's horny. The plot and dialogue are absolutely ridiculous.

The acting is atrocious. Dennis Hopper is usually okay for a b-movie actor, but he is especially bad in this movie. The female lead, who's name I can't remember, is pathetic. As I said before, the cannibalistic family is played only for laughs now, and it's really stupid.

Overall, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 doesn't touch the original film, or the remake. Avoid at all costs.

God awful mess

Author: ryanbrandonflynn from United States
28 June 2006

There are some movies that should never have been made. This is one of them. Where to begin?

1. leather face is a total ass wipe who loves to do pelvic hip thrusts with his chainsaw thingy.

2. one thing i didn't get was when ms. bimbo was giving a tour to the guy with the stds and was telling him goodnight. thats all they were saying to each other for about 3 hours. i think the bimbo could have done something else than say goodnight forever.

2. all that retarded bimbo can do is just scream and cry and sit there while all the other people are going to straight up murder her ass.

3. what was the point of that old fart grandpa? all he did was moan from his aids and threw a hammer at the bimbo.

4. what was dennis hopper going all through leather faces fun house screaming nothing but jiberish and cutting everything. Than he comes to that skeleton and starts talking to it telling it not to cry. whats next is he going to make out with it?

5. what the hell is with the ending? that retarded bimbo is trying to start the chainsaw while mr. std is stabbing her. when she finally gets it started she cuts him like once and he falls to his death.

All in all, this movie is a disgrace to the original movie and horror movies everywhere. If you've never seen this movie, do yourself a favor and avoid it entirely.

Humor

Author: madscientist2787 from United States
14 June 2006

The description of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 sounds like a recipe for an unarguably perfect horror sequel. The cannibalistic family are still up to their usual hijinks, and Dennis Hopper stars as an ex-Federal Marshal who has sworn revenge for the deaths of his brother's kids in the first film. There's a bigger movie budget this time, allowing for the family to relocate from their farmhouse to an labyrinthine underground lair beneath a cheesy tourist attraction which looks like something out of a Mario Bava film. A screenplay by L.M. Kit Carson (Paris, Texas) and makeup effects by Tom Savini. The first death in the film is a 90-mile-an-hour car chase/chainsaw-induced head wound set to Oingo Boingo's song "No One Lives Forever"... now look me in the eye, and tell me that that doesn't sound better than Citizen Kane? As fate would have it, though, this film is actually completely terrible. It's about as far removed from its predecessor as Killer Klowns from Outer Space is from Psycho. I don't know how, or why, but some idiot somewhere decided to play this film for yucks. Presumably, their reasoning was that it would be too hard to try and outdo the original in terms of grueling ferocity, so they opted instead to mix the gore with slapstick. It might have looked good on paper, but the filmmakers amped the goofiness up to eleven and it really all falls to pieces.

Replacing Edwin Neal in the role of The Hitchhiker is Bill Moseley, who is 1,000,000 times more irritating here than he is in the overrated The Devil's Rejects. Prancing about, picking his metal-domed head with a rusty coathanger (don't ask) and giggling manically like an evil Jimmy Fallon, he embodies about everything that is wrong with this movie. Well, just about everything, because then there's also Leatherface. Gone is the unstoppable, ruthless killing machine we all know and love, and in his place, we have a puppy-eyed, Quasimodoesque lunkhead with a strange preference towards dry-humping young women with the aid of his chainsaw instead of chopping them to bits without hesitation. I can only assume Hooper was going for some kind of Blue Velvet parody here... which brings us to Mr. Hopper. Even when he's tearing around the family's lair, slicing everyone and everything up with his chainsaw and shouting "I am the Lord of the Harvest!!!" at the top of his lungs, he still looks bored and confused. "One for them" indeed.

Amazingly, this film actually does have a substantial fanbase. Many of them insist that anyone who doesn't like this film could only be an unpleasable complaint-artist who wouldn't be satisfied with anything that wasn't exactly like the original. And that's just not true. I mean, I wouldn't have minded a funny Texas Chainsaw Massacre sequel if it had actually been, well, funny. But...it just wasn't.