IMDb > The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
Page 4 of 25: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

What was Hooper thinking? Why turn gold to dirt?

Author: donmunk321 from United Kingdom
11 January 2013

I am big fan of the original and the character Leatherface but this was just poorly done. The original was creepy and intense where as this sequel went a different approach, a tongue and cheek slasher...should have stayed with the original format, fair play they tried something different but to me that like wearing gloves on your feet. They had a good story with a bunch of creepy characters and just turned them into cartoon versions of themselves.

Leatherface did not sit well with me at all. I love the character Leatherface but in this version he was very badly portrayed, would say the acting and directing are responsible. He just seemed like a caricature, almost like they was trying to hard to show you his slow mentality, too much lip licking and that stupid little chainsaw dance he done every time he was chasing someone. They should have tried a more subtle approach, rather than he keep doing the same thing throughout the film, yes we get the point he's retarded, we are not.

Choptop was a horrible addition as well, he was annoying always repeating himself, chanting and again he seemed like a caricature, this time a badly done clone of the Hitchhiker from the original, I think they are suppose to be brothers but still does not make it acceptable to have a badly done version of the Hitch hiker repeating things that neither were funny or creepy, he was bugging the hell out of me. Even Drayton and Grandpa did not come off as creepy and well.

Dennis Hopper was believable and not bad and so was the leading female. For a 80s slasher it's not bad, some good gore scenes, acting overall not too bad, except I was really disappointed by the villains portrayal in this movie, really spoilt it for me.

The ending was pretty abrupt and seemed a bit unfinished.

Not the worst but not the best either. If you are looking for a simple 80s slasher to give a watch this will do the job but if you are looking for the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre experience you will more than likely be disappointed.

Watching this film felt like Tobe Hooper put some poo in a brown paper bag, set it on fire and ran off and left me to clean it off my shoes.

"I'm the Lord of the Harvest."

Author: Scott LeBrun (Hey_Sweden) from Canada
24 September 2012

Tobe Hooper follows up his legendary shocker with this dozen years belated sequel, which he'd always intended to be outrageous in a different sort of way. Things still get pretty intense, but there is a more blatantly humorous approach (albeit in a dark way): "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2" is very campy stuff. Therefore, it may take more than one viewing to be able to appreciate it, as was the case for this viewer. Gone, also, is the suggestion of horrible violence, to be replaced by much more obvious, in-your-face gore supervised by makeup effects master Tom Savini. And he does some extremely impressive work here. The story has a nutty former Texas Ranger, "Lefty" Enright (Dennis Hopper) obsessed with revenge against the cannibalistic Sawyer clan, as he turns out to be the uncle of the Sally and Franklin characters from the first film. Lefty leans upon radio DJ "Stretch" Brock (sexy, husky voiced Caroline Williams) to air a tape she'd made of two dim bulb kids being slaughtered by Leatherface while tooling down the highway. This only angers the Sawyer family, who proceed to terrorize Stretch over and over again. One very effective element to this sequel is its visual design; things are taken to another level in terms of the production design, lighting, and set decoration, as the Sawyers have headquartered in an old run down theme park. The music score, credited to Hooper and Jerry Lambert, is decidedly more conventional than that of the first film, and the eclectic soundtrack includes tunes by the likes of Timbuk 3, Concrete Blonde, The Cramps, and Stewart Copeland. The early set piece on the highway is a great one, and the action in the old park takes on an unrelenting, nightmarish tone, although ultimately it's not quite as effective as the simplicity of the first TCSM. The acting is over the top from most everybody concerned; Hopper is a hoot in his unhinged performance, Williams does a lot of screaming (so much of it that it may annoy some viewers), Jim Siedow is delightful as the put upon Drayton "Cook" Sawyer, Bill Johnson (replacing Gunnar Hansen) gets to show us a different side of Leatherface, and Bill Moseley, in a hell of a breakthrough performance, is memorable as live wire Chop Top. Ken Evert takes over the role of Grandpa from John Dugan, and Lou Perryman is endearing as good ol' boy L.G.; his final scene with Williams is really fairly poignant. The screenplay, by L.M. Kit Carson, contains some gems of dialogue, and there's one very enjoyable jump scare during the confrontation sequence at the radio station. While the excesses of this sequel may not appeal to some tastes, they're bound to delight others. All things considered, this is a pretty good follow-up to a classic film, and is generally regarded as the cult favourite of the series. Seven out of 10.

At least the title wasn't misleading.

Author: WakenPayne from Valhalla
17 September 2012

These movies. After watching the first one would undoubtedly have new coming fans looking for the sequel. Here it steps out of the true story margin and more into the "What the Hell is going on?" margin.

One thing that I hated was the Leatherface love relationship. He makes sexual suggestions to her WITH A CHAINSAW. I know this is supposed to be a comedy but... come on, please? I will actually sit down and watch 3 and 4 (thank god there's only 4) but there is something that I will point out in this movie which in order to make more Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies will have all suspension of disbelief thrown out the window. In this one Dennis Hopper's character runs a chainsaw through Leatherface and a grenade goes off. Are you telling me he survives that? This is more unbelievable then trying to get me to believe Michael surviving burning to death in Halloween 2.

So this is decent at it's best. Nothing more. A 6/10 because I'm in a generous mood. If I wasn't - probably a 3.

Excellent film about family values

Author: robbie bird from United States
6 August 2012

I really dig this film. Cinematography, the dialog, the acting and the special fx are all done very well and helps create a very demented view of a particular families values. The absurdity of the film kicks in immediately as the two preppy dbags encounter Leatherface. The mask behind the mask was a neat touch to a great and surreal introduction scene of our antagonists.

There are truly weird moments, Leatherface and his crush with the main heroine, chili cook off, Choptop at the station (creepy amazing scene), the old guy going nuts as Dennis Hopper tests out his new chainsaws. There are some very funny lines and not in a bad dialog way.

Plenty of black humor and pokes fun of what the genre has become since he blazed the trail with the original Texas Chainsaw.

I highly recommend this film to horror fans especially, that might be bored with the usual stuff. Influential and underrated.

Decent Sequel

Author: moviemajesty from United States
6 December 2011

I was pleasantly surprised by this film. The original Texas Chain Saw Massacre has always been one of my favorite horror films, and I was expecting this film to be a typical poorly made sequel. To my surprise, it was actually fairly entertaining. Although the beginning is slow, it quickly picks up, but doesn't seem to know where it is going, becoming more of a comedy than a horror. At times, the film is able to capture the emotion and intensity of the original. However, other times I was rolling my eyes at the stupidity of some of the scenes. Not to mention some scenes that were directly remade from the original. In the beginning, I thought Caroline Williams was a poor choice to play the main victim of the story, but she definitely proved me wrong, sometimes even reminding me of Sally from the original. Overall, this is a decent sequel that is worth a watch, but don't expect it to be as good as the original.

Not the worst in the series

Author: atinder from United Kingdom
2 July 2011

This basically makes a mockery of what the first film was all about. I am of those who fell in love with the original and hail it as one the best horror movies out there.

This movie did have really good opening scenes the two teenagers in Car calling up Radio station and having run, they are cut and they call again few hours later and they heard screaming on Radio as Leatherface is killing them. (This has some good amount of gore in that scene.

That was only worth watching scene from the whole movie, I did not like anything after that scene, rest of the movie just flat and I hated Leatherface in this movie as was he like teenager in love or something.

The from the whole cast in this movie is Not great but really good, the acting dose a lot worse after this sequel.

I did not really understand the ending of this movie all, it shame it didn't carry on to next one.

This movies is a least worth watching once

4 out of 10

Author: Toronto85 from Canada
29 June 2011

TCM 2 was definitely not as serious as the original film, but it had a lot of charm to it. It begins in Texas (of course) with two young men driving along the road. They call a local radio station which is when we meet our leading lady Stretch (Caroline Williams) the DJ. While on the phone with the guys, Leatherface murders both of them Stretch manages to hear the chainsaw in the background. The police try to make their deaths seem like a simple auto accident, but when a former Texas Ranger Lefty (Dennis Hopper) sees the accident scene, he knows it was more than an accident. And when Stretch gives him the audio tape of the murder, he realizes that Leatherface has struck again. Once the infamous Sawyer family catches on that people know of their crimes, they trap Stretch in their sick twisted maze of dead corpses and rotting flesh.

Chainsaw 2 was made at a time when it was competing with the Krueger/Myers/Vorhees sequels. So it had to live up to the modern day slasher film, that means more blood. It's a lot more gory than the controversial first TCM. In this one, you literally see a guy get skinned alive, his face is almost peeled off for Leatherface to use as a mask. Oh and the family is explored more in this sequel. Jim Siedow reprises the role of "The Cook" Drayton Sawyer. He now sells chili to the fine people of Texas. He proclaims at a local cook off that it's his special secret recipe. Take a guess what he uses to make the chili....

Yeah so as you can see, TCM 2 is a little more morbid and comical in a black comedy sort of way. The maze that Stretch gets trapped in near the end is an old amusement park that the Sawyers are living in. Very creepy set they built for it as well. The acting is pretty good for this one as well. We also discover Dennis Hopper's character is related to Franklin, the man in the wheelchair from the first TCM. Nice little connection. All in all, a decent sequel to a 70's classic. It's not as memorable as the first or even as good, but a fine slasher film nonetheless.

Sex or the Saw, but the Saw is FAMILY!

Author: tequila101 from Australia
30 April 2011

U got one choice boy, sex or the saw! I remember that line in the film the most and it was my favorite quote. Anyway let's get down to another review of horror madness from the dead, lol.

The original 1974 cult (never go to Texas) classic Texas Chainsaw Massacre was a large hit and still remains in our souls of being one of the most bone chilling, shocking horror films of all time. It is my third favorite horror film and I treasure it for it's memories of disgust but intelligent scares. That was Tobe Hooper's good and only really scary film.

Now the his sequel "The Buzz is Back!" isn't a bad sequel at all though it really falls on the lines of the original as Tobe decided to go to a more comedic root instead of sticking to the horror ones. The horror roots were put back into the third and fourth though they are way beyond crappy.

Moving on I'll point out the good and bad plotters for TCM 2.

The good: The acting is still good especially Bill Moselsy who played the insane, cannibalistic f***ed up Chop Top who loves his dead corpses. The only returning character (s) is Dawerer (I think that's his name) and he still did a good job. Dennis Hopper also did really well and the back up actors were average.

The kills aren't great though there bloody enough. 1 point there.

The music also had a weird feel to it and the humor was contained well and there were enough scenes to make me enjoy this film a lot.

The bad: The only problem I had with this film was that even if the humor was average and contained well, it sucked that Tobe Hooper took it to a different level and the scares are no where to be found. That's the only major problem other wise.....

6.5/10 (It's another good slasher film if your bored and it has the right amount of enjoyment leaking out of it) I would watch this awesome sequel than wasting my time on TCM 3, TCM Next Gen and TCm the Beginning. My opinion.

Author: jDriftyx82 from United States
19 April 2011

The first Texas Chainsaw Massacre was sick, twisted, and vile film. With all of it's clichés and parts of complete stupidity, I enjoyed it somewhat. In the sequel. It's more or less the same.

In this movie, we see more of the cannibals, which I really liked because they made the movie for me in the first one, so that was cool. But the whole movie is almost like a joke. It's like a sequel that's spoofing the first movie.

Maybe it's because it's a different writer, and they wrote to be scary and it just wasn't. But either way, it was funny. Intentional or not.

The acting of the cannibals was good. There was this Grandpa who they say is like 137 years old, and to be honest, I thought he was dead. But they hand him a hammer, and after about 5 minutes he does what he needs to get done with the hammer.

The guy who played Chop-Top was great. He was nuts! Couldn't wait for him to get back on screen.

I can't really say if you loved the first one, then see this. Because this movie got mixed feelings.

But if you're planning on watching all the TCM movies, this isn't AS BAD as I thought it'd be.

A misunderstood and much-maligned sequel that isn't nearly as bad as you've heard

Author: happyendingrocks from United States
15 April 2011

One's enjoyment of Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 will largely depend on the ease with which you can judge the film on its own merits and divorce your criticism from any comparison to the legendary classic that preceded it. There's no question that the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre is one of the most truly scary and horrifying films the genre has ever been graced with, so any sequel is pretty much pre-destined to be a lesser experience. However, if you can manage the seemingly impossible task of forgetting all about TCM and focusing solely on what this film brings to the table, you will be forced to grudgingly conclude that while Masscare 2 doesn't venture anywhere near the heights of Tobe Hooper's original macabre masterpiece, this unnecessary sequel is still a fun romp in its own right.

The tone here is so far removed from the movie it reprises that it's hard to believe that Hooper was once again sitting in the director's chair. While Texas Chainsaw Massacre was a relentless and brutal tour de force of terror, Part 2 inserts a black humor sensibility that discards any pretensions of this being a strictly horror-based vehicle, and shifts our entire view of the cannibalistic Sawyer clan. This time out, the family doesn't come across as a hideously deranged group of killers, but rather as somewhat goofy collective of sadists whose tastes for violence veer closer to the physical comedy of The Three Stooges than to anything in the fright flick canon. Admittedly, this shouldn't work as well as it does, but a brilliant performance from Bill Mosely, who handily steals the show, straddles the fine line between gruesome and giggling and keeps the film from sinking beneath its playful facade.

The plot is fairly ridiculous by any standards, and when the impetus for lead heroine Caroline Williams to be stalked by the saw-happy band of lunatics is her repeatedly playing an audio recording of a brutal murder on her radio show, we know right away that we're going to have to suspend our disbelief to swallow this one.

Hooper's direction is surprisingly keen considering the radical departure he's overseeing, and he keeps us wondering exactly how far into the realm of absurdist comedy the film is going to reach until about the midway point. When an amusingly manic Dennis Hopper straps a pair of chainsaws to his hips like six-shooters and charges into the meat-loving family's lair screaming like Rambo, it should be abundantly clear to even the most jaded viewer that the film isn't going to bother to take itself seriously, and we shouldn't either.

Despite the heavy emphasis on morbid funnies, the film does throw a few solid scares into the mix, and these jump-inducing moments arrive precisely when we've let our guard down, giving them unexpected and jolting impact. There's also a fairly generous amount of gore, and the effects work of Tom Savini adds immeasurably to the horror quotient.

Unfortunately, Savini's skills aren't called upon very often here, and even when they are, the MPAA did a particularly thorough job of forcing much of Tom's artistry to linger on the cutting room floor. Only a couple of scenes recall the gravitas of Savini's most infamous work, and while it's certainly not his fault that his creations were so severely neutered, his name in the credits writes a check that the heavily-trimmed final product can't cash.

Still, the film does deliver some grotesque elements, and it's far bloodier than its predecessor. It's also a bit more twisted in its own quirky way, and Leatherface's amorous attachment to Caroline Williams provides some demented moments that are almost uncomfortable to laugh at. The sequence where our "hero" presses his decidedly phallic chainsaw against Williams's crotch assuredly skirts the bounds of bad taste, but the scene that sticks out most in my mind is one in which he covers her face with the flayed skin of her friend and playfully dances with her in a room cluttered with severed body parts.

Williams is excellent here, as is Hopper, who seems to be having a ball hamming it up and wringing every bit of mirth possible out of his one-dimensional archetype. Bill Johnson is equally fantastic as Leatherface, and he manages to convey a multi-faceted character through his nuanced grunts and facial expressions, no easy feat when all we see of him are his eyes and mouth.

The sprawling subterranean set where the final action unfolds is an impressive and well-realized creation that provides an audaciously epic upgrade from the humble farmhouse in the first film. Dicey loopholes inevitably arise (if the family travels from place to place to keep their crimes undiscovered, would they really have hauled the body of Franklin, who they killed over a decade before, to their current location, where Hopper finds it?), but those who admire set decoration will have a lot of fun pausing the frames and taking in the vast minutiae on display in the background.

The climax, where Hopper and Leatherface duke it out with dueling chainsaws like a pair of swashbucklers, is by far the most widely referenced aspect of the film. Most detractors point to this scene as the stupidest part of the movie, and they're clearly right. However, considering that the bulk of the film revels in a parody mindset, I actually can't think of a more fitting way for it to conclude.

Yes, there clearly shouldn't have been a sequel to such a perfectly essayed snapshot of horror. But Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 is an inherently enjoyable offering if you accept it on its own terms. There's no denying that it's an entertaining film, and since it practically announces its separation from the original from the opening frames, we can't accuse Tobe Hooper of failing to realize his vision, however skewed that vision might be.

Give this troubled production another look, and, more importantly, give it a chance.