IMDb > The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
Page 4 of 25: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

The ending saved you Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2

Author: Snyder-matthew23 from United States
6 April 2013

This movie was good... In the beginning and then, of course, it drops to being boring as hell. I loved all the other Texas Chainsaw's but this one was disappointing. I got my hopes up and thought I would love it but it was just plain good and average. I guess that's good right? Well the first 10 minutes and the last 10 minutes saved this film from being to a 5 from 7 stars. The rest of it was just boring. You would be expecting this movie to be fun when the title with the words "Chainsaw" and "Massacre" are in it. It still was a little bit fun but that was only at rare time periods. This one is my least favorite out of the Texas Chainsaw series. I thought this film was overall OK and I would only recommend this to super Texas Chainsaw fans.

Best TCM sequel

Author: Sorpse from Canada
23 February 2013

currently there are 6 TCM movies out and this movie has yet to be topped. it is in my opinion the best sequel to TCM. Every other film in this franchise has basically been a remake of the origonal with slight changes and TCM2 is easilly the most origonal. SPOILERS First of all they change the setting, instead of taking place at a house this one is in a abandoned cole mine. I thought this was a great place to have the hideout and allowed for some original scares. Another change was the characters. Of course we have the famous leatherface character but for the only time in TCM history (including the following 4 sequels/remakes/prequels)there are actually some likable characters. The sheriff was badass. The scene of him having a chainsaw battle with leatherface who is battling with a chainsaw through the stomache was awesome. Also just the scenes of the sheriff holding the duel chainsaws was great. The female lead 'stretch' also did a great job. in horror movies a lot of the time we are treated to sub par acting but the actress who played stretch did a very good job. A returning character was grandpa who came back for the essential dinner scene and looks uglier than ever, One other notable moment was when stretch is forced to wear the skin of her coworker who wakes up and has a conversation with her while she wearing his face! this was cool stuff. Even better is when hes doing his signature 'spit' so you are reminded who the guy with no face is haha. Again i say this is by far the second best chainsaw massacre after 6 installments. The ending was super cool too with stretch standing atop the mine swinging the chainsaw, memorable stuff.

Not enough buzz

Author: PeterMitchell-506-564364 from Australia
18 February 2013

When this one finally hit DVD, a few years back, and I saw it, I almost wish I didn't. This one was such a let down, which if released in 86', I almost certainly would of had a higher opinion of it. One plus in this film, was the presence, of a revenge seeking cop, played by the wonderful Dennis Hopper, which among so many great performances, he was only nominated once for an Oscar. We have a radio lass, who receives a couple of prank calls, one of them not so much a prank, by these two young lads, who are pursued by Leatherface, in their car. In the other vehicle, a ute, in the back, stands our bloodthirsty madman, operating the chainsaw. So when the cars draw level, we have quite a hairy scene. The radio lass teams up with Hopper to take down these freaks. We do have some quite genuinely terrifying scenes, that take place in an underground lair of Leatherface's. A sort of trophy room, but not as much gore as you'd think, but when presented, it's genuinely grisly. I just feel somehow I got short changed here. The revenge angle I liked, especially, when it's lines are delivered by the always excellent, late great Hopper.

What was Hooper thinking? Why turn gold to dirt?

Author: donmunk321 from United Kingdom
11 January 2013

I am big fan of the original and the character Leatherface but this was just poorly done. The original was creepy and intense where as this sequel went a different approach, a tongue and cheek slasher...should have stayed with the original format, fair play they tried something different but to me that like wearing gloves on your feet. They had a good story with a bunch of creepy characters and just turned them into cartoon versions of themselves.

Leatherface did not sit well with me at all. I love the character Leatherface but in this version he was very badly portrayed, would say the acting and directing are responsible. He just seemed like a caricature, almost like they was trying to hard to show you his slow mentality, too much lip licking and that stupid little chainsaw dance he done every time he was chasing someone. They should have tried a more subtle approach, rather than he keep doing the same thing throughout the film, yes we get the point he's retarded, we are not.

Choptop was a horrible addition as well, he was annoying always repeating himself, chanting and again he seemed like a caricature, this time a badly done clone of the Hitchhiker from the original, I think they are suppose to be brothers but still does not make it acceptable to have a badly done version of the Hitch hiker repeating things that neither were funny or creepy, he was bugging the hell out of me. Even Drayton and Grandpa did not come off as creepy and well.

Dennis Hopper was believable and not bad and so was the leading female. For a 80s slasher it's not bad, some good gore scenes, acting overall not too bad, except I was really disappointed by the villains portrayal in this movie, really spoilt it for me.

The ending was pretty abrupt and seemed a bit unfinished.

Not the worst but not the best either. If you are looking for a simple 80s slasher to give a watch this will do the job but if you are looking for the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre experience you will more than likely be disappointed.

Watching this film felt like Tobe Hooper put some poo in a brown paper bag, set it on fire and ran off and left me to clean it off my shoes.

"I'm the Lord of the Harvest."

Author: Scott LeBrun (Hey_Sweden) from Canada
24 September 2012

Tobe Hooper follows up his legendary shocker with this dozen years belated sequel, which he'd always intended to be outrageous in a different sort of way. Things still get pretty intense, but there is a more blatantly humorous approach (albeit in a dark way): "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2" is very campy stuff. Therefore, it may take more than one viewing to be able to appreciate it, as was the case for this viewer. Gone, also, is the suggestion of horrible violence, to be replaced by much more obvious, in-your-face gore supervised by makeup effects master Tom Savini. And he does some extremely impressive work here. The story has a nutty former Texas Ranger, "Lefty" Enright (Dennis Hopper) obsessed with revenge against the cannibalistic Sawyer clan, as he turns out to be the uncle of the Sally and Franklin characters from the first film. Lefty leans upon radio DJ "Stretch" Brock (sexy, husky voiced Caroline Williams) to air a tape she'd made of two dim bulb kids being slaughtered by Leatherface while tooling down the highway. This only angers the Sawyer family, who proceed to terrorize Stretch over and over again. One very effective element to this sequel is its visual design; things are taken to another level in terms of the production design, lighting, and set decoration, as the Sawyers have headquartered in an old run down theme park. The music score, credited to Hooper and Jerry Lambert, is decidedly more conventional than that of the first film, and the eclectic soundtrack includes tunes by the likes of Timbuk 3, Concrete Blonde, The Cramps, and Stewart Copeland. The early set piece on the highway is a great one, and the action in the old park takes on an unrelenting, nightmarish tone, although ultimately it's not quite as effective as the simplicity of the first TCSM. The acting is over the top from most everybody concerned; Hopper is a hoot in his unhinged performance, Williams does a lot of screaming (so much of it that it may annoy some viewers), Jim Siedow is delightful as the put upon Drayton "Cook" Sawyer, Bill Johnson (replacing Gunnar Hansen) gets to show us a different side of Leatherface, and Bill Moseley, in a hell of a breakthrough performance, is memorable as live wire Chop Top. Ken Evert takes over the role of Grandpa from John Dugan, and Lou Perryman is endearing as good ol' boy L.G.; his final scene with Williams is really fairly poignant. The screenplay, by L.M. Kit Carson, contains some gems of dialogue, and there's one very enjoyable jump scare during the confrontation sequence at the radio station. While the excesses of this sequel may not appeal to some tastes, they're bound to delight others. All things considered, this is a pretty good follow-up to a classic film, and is generally regarded as the cult favourite of the series. Seven out of 10.

At least the title wasn't misleading.

Author: WakenPayne from Valhalla
17 September 2012

These movies. After watching the first one would undoubtedly have new coming fans looking for the sequel. Here it steps out of the true story margin and more into the "What the Hell is going on?" margin.

One thing that I hated was the Leatherface love relationship. He makes sexual suggestions to her WITH A CHAINSAW. I know this is supposed to be a comedy but... come on, please? I will actually sit down and watch 3 and 4 (thank god there's only 4) but there is something that I will point out in this movie which in order to make more Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies will have all suspension of disbelief thrown out the window. In this one Dennis Hopper's character runs a chainsaw through Leatherface and a grenade goes off. Are you telling me he survives that? This is more unbelievable then trying to get me to believe Michael surviving burning to death in Halloween 2.

So this is decent at it's best. Nothing more. A 6/10 because I'm in a generous mood. If I wasn't - probably a 3.

Excellent film about family values

Author: robbie bird from United States
6 August 2012

I really dig this film. Cinematography, the dialog, the acting and the special fx are all done very well and helps create a very demented view of a particular families values. The absurdity of the film kicks in immediately as the two preppy dbags encounter Leatherface. The mask behind the mask was a neat touch to a great and surreal introduction scene of our antagonists.

There are truly weird moments, Leatherface and his crush with the main heroine, chili cook off, Choptop at the station (creepy amazing scene), the old guy going nuts as Dennis Hopper tests out his new chainsaws. There are some very funny lines and not in a bad dialog way.

Plenty of black humor and pokes fun of what the genre has become since he blazed the trail with the original Texas Chainsaw.

I highly recommend this film to horror fans especially, that might be bored with the usual stuff. Influential and underrated.

Decent Sequel

Author: moviemajesty from United States
6 December 2011

I was pleasantly surprised by this film. The original Texas Chain Saw Massacre has always been one of my favorite horror films, and I was expecting this film to be a typical poorly made sequel. To my surprise, it was actually fairly entertaining. Although the beginning is slow, it quickly picks up, but doesn't seem to know where it is going, becoming more of a comedy than a horror. At times, the film is able to capture the emotion and intensity of the original. However, other times I was rolling my eyes at the stupidity of some of the scenes. Not to mention some scenes that were directly remade from the original. In the beginning, I thought Caroline Williams was a poor choice to play the main victim of the story, but she definitely proved me wrong, sometimes even reminding me of Sally from the original. Overall, this is a decent sequel that is worth a watch, but don't expect it to be as good as the original.

Not the worst in the series

Author: atinder from United Kingdom
2 July 2011

This basically makes a mockery of what the first film was all about. I am of those who fell in love with the original and hail it as one the best horror movies out there.

This movie did have really good opening scenes the two teenagers in Car calling up Radio station and having run, they are cut and they call again few hours later and they heard screaming on Radio as Leatherface is killing them. (This has some good amount of gore in that scene.

That was only worth watching scene from the whole movie, I did not like anything after that scene, rest of the movie just flat and I hated Leatherface in this movie as was he like teenager in love or something.

The from the whole cast in this movie is Not great but really good, the acting dose a lot worse after this sequel.

I did not really understand the ending of this movie all, it shame it didn't carry on to next one.

This movies is a least worth watching once

4 out of 10

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2

Author: Toronto85 from Canada
29 June 2011

TCM 2 was definitely not as serious as the original film, but it had a lot of charm to it. It begins in Texas (of course) with two young men driving along the road. They call a local radio station which is when we meet our leading lady Stretch (Caroline Williams) the DJ. While on the phone with the guys, Leatherface murders both of them Stretch manages to hear the chainsaw in the background. The police try to make their deaths seem like a simple auto accident, but when a former Texas Ranger Lefty (Dennis Hopper) sees the accident scene, he knows it was more than an accident. And when Stretch gives him the audio tape of the murder, he realizes that Leatherface has struck again. Once the infamous Sawyer family catches on that people know of their crimes, they trap Stretch in their sick twisted maze of dead corpses and rotting flesh.

Chainsaw 2 was made at a time when it was competing with the Krueger/Myers/Vorhees sequels. So it had to live up to the modern day slasher film, that means more blood. It's a lot more gory than the controversial first TCM. In this one, you literally see a guy get skinned alive, his face is almost peeled off for Leatherface to use as a mask. Oh and the family is explored more in this sequel. Jim Siedow reprises the role of "The Cook" Drayton Sawyer. He now sells chili to the fine people of Texas. He proclaims at a local cook off that it's his special secret recipe. Take a guess what he uses to make the chili....

Yeah so as you can see, TCM 2 is a little more morbid and comical in a black comedy sort of way. The maze that Stretch gets trapped in near the end is an old amusement park that the Sawyers are living in. Very creepy set they built for it as well. The acting is pretty good for this one as well. We also discover Dennis Hopper's character is related to Franklin, the man in the wheelchair from the first TCM. Nice little connection. All in all, a decent sequel to a 70's classic. It's not as memorable as the first or even as good, but a fine slasher film nonetheless.