IMDb > The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
Page 3 of 26: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

A definite classic!

Author: imad_jafar (imad_jafar@hotmail.com) from Pakistan
8 February 2010

This shocking - and bizarre - sequel to director Tobe Hooper's own 1974 original is one of the greatest slasher films of the past thirty years. It has, however, been overlooked by both critics and fans, who, in the past, have detested and misunderstood it's rich combination of insane black comedy and harrowing horror. Perhaps they were expecting another disturbingly suggestive nightmare like the first "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" - this just seemed so immature with it's scenes of explicit violence. It's zany style, coupled with Dennis Hopper's maniacal performance, is, however, a masterstroke that Hooper manages to pull off surprisingly well. The movie bursts with inventive Gothic satire and an unrelenting energy so powerful that it deserves to have it's own position as a landmark fright flick. This is one slasher film that is a must-see for any true fan of the sub-genre.

Cool film!

Author: experten-1 from Russian Federation
20 May 2009

Cool film! On another also you will not tell. In difference from the cult first film which become by the ancestor of a genre and has generated numerous continuations and imitations, the sequel has turned out with a strong bias in «a black comedy» balancing on the verge of a trash. Well, where you still will see fight on Chainsawes between Leatherface and the sheriff? It is worthy of it, that it have looked! And an episode when the sheriff chooses to itself these most Chainsaw for forthcoming fight is simply hilarious. Though blood in a film like many, but rather bloody episodes of all, perhaps, two: in one scenes, one of members of a family a hammer has smashed a head to the employee of radio and an episode rip up a stomach Chainsaw. And this with the fact that I looked the full version of a film designated as «gruesome version». Nevertheless, the film has turned out in my opinion very quite good: It very dynamical, especially since an episode when Leatherface with brother to be declared on dismantling on radio station – from this point on in general begins a high-grade drive to the end of a film. Here I looked without coming off. It is necessary to tell about actor's works especially. Actor Dennis the Hopper which became popular enough actor in America after a cult film «Careless goer», all film goes with the most serious look, but thus, does amazing acts, and looks impressively. But the actress of Carolina Williams became a film star. Actually the most part of screen time is taken away to it, instead of Leatherface. By the way, the actress who at the moment of shootings was 29 years, looks it very not bad in all senses that is called, will handicap many young. She also plays pretty well, and very nice in itself. Though nudity with its participation in a film is not present, it is compensated to that the actress all film goes in super-short shorts and . In a film there is one episode when art of the director to create full erotic scene from anything, has proved to be in all beauty – in one of episodes of Leatherface gently drives switched off Chainsaw on the bared foot of Stretch, and then rested Chainsaw to it in pubis simulates sexual intercourse. Yes, it's worth seeing! to Make from Chainsaw phallus a symbol such it is necessary to think up! Tob Huper unequivocally talent. And victorious dance of Stretch with Chainsaw in hands in the film ending unequivocally makes impression original anthem of a bloody victory! It is a pity that Carolina Williams did not become the well-known actress though the data at it, in my opinion, all were. By the way, in the third part of a serial - The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3, Carolina Williams has seemed in a tiny episode without words (will look the third part – pay attention on reporter at the very beginning of a film), probably to show communication between the second and third part of a serial. I summaries. An original and dynamical sequel with a bias in a black comedy. It is necessary to look unequivocally. In my opinion, one of the best parts of a serial.

The Leather One is Back!

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
7 October 2002

[CONTAINS SPOILERS]

Our story opens with two ignorant college boys driving into Texas. They listen to a radio personality, Vantia "Stretch" Block. They crank call her and won't leave her alone. The fun goes on all night until pretty soon a truck is driving beside the boys. On the back is a strange looking character. He whips out his chain saw and saws off the top of the boy driving which results in a terrible car crash. The killer was, of course, Leatherface.

Stretch had got the whole thing on tape. The screaming and the saw buzzing. This whole thing seemed to interest Texas Marshall, Lt. 'Lefty' Enright. Lefty was the father of Sally and Franklin Hardesty, from the first Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Stretch tried showing the tape to Lefty, even play it on the air. Lefty didn't seem at all interested, but he secretly knew all about these sick people and wanted very much to get revenge on them for killing his son. He goes to a hardware store, buys three chain saws, two little ones and one big one. He tries them out aggressively on a log. That night, Stretch found a weird character in the studio. His name was Chop Top. He was also the hitchhiker from the first movie. He had heard Stretch's tape over the air and seemed very interested in it. Suddenly, out of the record room came Leatherface, or Bubba, with his chain saw roaring. He chased Stretch into a storeroom where she was somehow able to talk him down, so Leatherface and Chop Top left, taking L.G. McPeters, Stretch's partner with them. She followed them to their secluded spot. Lefty also arrived; in their secluded spot, skeletons and human bones were everywhere. Also down there was Dreyton Sawyer and Grandpa! Stretch witnessed the gruesome skinning of L.G., then Lefty burst in with his chain saws for a showdown! Sawyer had a grenade and it went off, but it is unclear whether he, Lefty and Leatherface were blown sky high. Stretch takes a chain saw from Grandma's skeleton, starts it up and screams like a maniac.

My opinion: somewhat of a downer. This one is much more violent than the first. Dennis Hopper is here. Caroline Williams, who plays Stretch, also appeared in Leprechaun 3. Also, in the opening narration, the narrator says the van that belonged to Sally Hardesty and her friends was a Volkswagen. It wasn't. It was a GMC, I think, or maybe a Chevy. And this is also the only one where Sally was referred to as Sally Hardesty-Enright. She wasn't called that in the first one. We learn, in the opening narration, that poor Sally went into catatonia after her encounter with Leatherface and died shortly thereafter. Tragic. But in conclusion, if you saw the first, you oughta see this one.

The intent to be TRASH

Author: David Balparda de Carvalho (Ackbar-2) from Belo Horizonte, Brazil
12 May 2001

Alright, this movie does not have the ambient of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1, and though gorier and with better effects, not as half as scary. I must say, this is a Trash movie.

On my view, this masterpiece had to be made on purpose to be Trash. Very few would, in full mental faculties, finish shooting THIS and think of it seriously.

(SPOILER) The grandpa hammering scene, the chainsaw duel, the Lefty demolition, Leatherface's love, Chop Top himself, are Trash in concept. As for the chainsaw duel, here's a bit of physics: conservation of angular momentum makes the chainsaw unwieldy to swing, so the duel would be quite tough in real life. Well, that's what movies are all about, aren't they?

Gory and really stupid.

Author: Mike Campbell (godmonster) from Lake City CO.
9 September 2000

I wanted to like this movie. The first one is an all-time favorite; this is the worst excuse for gratuitous violence I've ever seen. Tom Savini's work is effective as usual. Some of the gore scenes left me shaking for days. Great art direction and music (Boingo in the first murder scene...) cannot save this awful mess. Dennis Hopper adds nothing but his name to this travesty. I like horror comedy like "Evil Dead" and "Dead Alive", but the attempts at humor in this mean-spirited film just left me feeling sick. The swiss cheese plot was topped off with a pointless ending. If you want to see some really sick blood and gore then this may be right up your alley, but it seemed pretty pointless otherwise.

Leatherface in Love??

Author: zuccozoid from United States
6 January 2010

The original TCM_1, like the original JAWS, should never have been "remade" or recycled. TCM_1 was a product of its time, and truly inspired. It relied on claustrophobic atmosphere, believable characters and implied violence. Very tough to watch with the lights out - especially alone.

TCM_2 is simply ridiculous. Gone is the nightmarish claustrophobia, the shadows and sense of impending doom. This sequel goes for "black comedy" but instead makes a parody of itself.

We get way, WAY too much of the crazy jabbering bad guys, especially Chop Top, who never shuts up. The villains' dialog is almost vaudevillian in its oneupmanship of pseudo-clever lines. Leatherface literally falls in love with our Heroine. They repeat the entire Grandpa's dinner scene from the original.

Since this was supposedly about our cannibal clan (hiding in an abandoned amusement park) capturing and killing people to make chili they serve at state fairs (!) wouldn't it've been cooler to have the baddies force our Heroine to EAT it - rather than repeat the same scenes from the original? Nothing here except a lot of gore, noise and bombast, all amounting to nothing.

To be fair, we're not in HOBGOBLINS territory here. But the final shot, with our short-shorts babe doing a chainsaw jiggle dance - makes me wonder what the heck they were smoking.

George Romero (with a lot of help from Dario Argento) made a grand leap from the bleak horror of NOTLD to DAWN, with sharp social commentary, and the humor, such as it is in DAWN, is well placed: it's NOT a comedy.

All of TCM_2 should have been left on the cutting room floor, so to speak.

Tobe Hooper's Masterpiece

Author: Bob_Balaban from United States
27 May 2006

In 1974, director Tobe Hooper and writer Kim Henkel set out to make a pitch black dark comedy entitled: "Headcheese". They intended the film to be PG rated comedy, but they ended up making what some see as the most horrifying film of all time which they retitled the more effective "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre". Now, while they did create a brilliant film which most now see as a classic, in their intentions, they did fail.

Twelve years later, Hooper enlisted L.M. Kit Larson (Wim Wender's great "Paris, Texas") to write him a sequel to "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" appropriately titled: "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2". Larson's screenplay was witty, satirical, and much, much more violent than the original film, which contained much less violence than it is known for. To bring the gore Larson wrote in his screenplay to celluloid, Hooper teamed up with the wizard of gore himself, Tom Savini (Dawn of the Dead, Maniac). Savini's gore looks great and at some points is truly gruesome, thanks to the great cinematography by Richard Kooris. Kooris' cinematography a bizarre yet beautiful feel the original did not have. The age make-up on the grandfather character is also considerably better than in the first film. The music as well, which in the first one was much more avant garde and ultimately bland, here is exciting and really fun.

While Bill Johnson is certainly no Gunnar Hansen at playing Leatherface, this is made up for in the supporting roles, especially those by Bill Moseley ("The Devil's Rejects") and Dennis Hopper ("Easy Rider", "Land of the Dead"). Hopper's character of an insane sheriff hunting down the Leatherface clan is great, but appears to have a much more complex layer to him than the other characters. All in all, the performances do add to the insanity of his brilliant film. I really do enjoy it and I hope you will too!

THIS MOVIE GETS BONUS POINTS FOR:

Chainsaw Duels Dennis Hopper Tom Savini effects

I can't believe it is from the same director!

Author: Tito Aguiar from Brazil
14 January 2006

A bad, bad sequel! Tobe Hooper was drunk when made this movie! The first TCM it's a masterpiece compared to this. Maybe those who like trash-bad movies would like this one. Penned by LM Kit Carson (director of Hopper documentary "The American Dreamer", and writer of 1984's "Paris, Texas"), the film finds the inbred cannibalistic family of the original (though few of the original cast, including Gunnar Hansen, could be tempted to return) now residing in a cavernous underground lair, venturing above ground only for the odd slaughter. Hot on their heels is equally deranged former Texas Ranger Lieutenant Enright (Hopper), a relative of the youngsters long since butchered by Leatherface, Grandpa, and co.

Enright finds an unlikely ally in plucky local disc jockey Stretch (Williams) whose suspicions that the local chilly contains prime meat of the long pig variety has the chainsaw wielding Leatherface (here played by Johnson) knocking on her door.

Long since denied a certificate of any sort by the BBFC, appearing now in a director's cut version, this is the first time that the film has been released in the UK on any format. Gratuitously violent, and none too subtle (it lacks the subversive qualities of the original) it's also undeniably funny, maniacally energetic fare with a liberal smattering of enjoyable set-pieces.

A committed post-comeback Hopper, whose career since the heady heights of "Apocalypse Now" had re-reached a state of permanent flux, is a hoot. However, admirers of the first film may be in for a disappointment.

Gory Sequel Galore

Author: terrible2 from Istanbul
3 June 2005

As in the case with the "Evil Dead" series, I can honestly say that I enjoyed this sequel better then the original. Director, Tobe Hooper, must have had a bit more of a budget in order to land the likes of Dennis Hopper as "Lieutenant "Lefty" Enright" as our deranged hero. The film centers around "Stretch" (Caroline Williams) as a disc jockey who accidentally records an audio tape of a chainsaw massacre in progress from some listeners. Of course, our favorite murderous family wants the tape and will do what it takes to obtain it. This is where the film really takes off. "Bubba" or "Leatherface", whichever you prefer is played by Bill Johnson, who does a fine job behind his mask of human flesh, but my personal fav has got to be "Chop Top" played brilliantly by Bill Moseley. The two gruesome brothers set out on a chainsaw rampage, that includes a mixture of slap stick and one liners, all the while splattering the screen with enough blood and guts to make even the the truest horror junkie blush. The "Chainsaw" films that came after this one could never match it's humor or gore. It has remained in my top five horror flicks, since it's release.

Excrement.

Author: mpython013 from Pennsylvania
27 July 2004

From a young age, entertainment has been an incredibly large percent of my life. From the time I was a young child to now, it is safe to say that I have seen tons upon tons of movies. These ranging from decently good ones, to truly amazing ones, to ones that make me ponder how any person who owns a brain would spend the time, money, and equipment to make something so awful. Well, this film is flat-out the worst film I have ever witnessed. Anyone who says otherwise obviously knows dick about movies. The effects are terrible, the acting is unbelievably awful, and the story is...well, I don't even remember. The first ten minutes are almost tolerable, then it comes to the point where you either make fun of the movie the rest of the time, or simply eject it and return it to the video store because watching the entire thing will result in you losing 5% of your IQ. Heck, staring at the box alone will make you feel less intelligent. Now, don't get me wrong; the first one is a pretty good campy cult film, and the remake released last year is incredibly creepy. It's just this thing is all and out garbage. Its a film that I would never, EVER consider purchasing or even accept as a gift. I almost want to tell you all to see it just to see how bad it is, but this film is just so terrible that it isn't even funny; it is purely and simply: Excrement.