IMDb > The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 2 of 25:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

GOOD SEQUEL

Author: Big Movie Fan from England
17 February 2002

First of all, the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre was an innovative and thrilling horror film which was so ahead of it's time that any sequel would just not seem as good. However, I think it's unfair to compare this sequel to the original because they are so different. Chainsaw Massacre 2 is more of a comedy horror where as the original is a dark and disturbing film done documentary style. Comparing the two would be like comparing Dirty Harry to the Naked Gun movies.

Dennis Hopper plays the menacing Lefty out to avenge his family. Caroline Williams does just as good a job as Marilyn Burns did in the original. You really feel for her in this film as she is taken hostage by that demented family.Jim Siedow is back as the cook and in my opinion he is the scariest character because one minute he seems relatively sane and the next minute he's demented.Grandpa is also back looking older than ever (if that's possible). Bill Johnson plays Leatherface. He doesn't do too badly but he makes Leatherface a little bit too human.We're introduced to Bill Moseley who plays the demented Chop Top. Bill tries to emulate the hitchhiker character played by Edwin Neal in the original and to be honest he does a good job even if he is the ugliest thing I've ever seen in a film.

(POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD) This is a great film with some funny scenes. In one scene L.G. (one of the characters in the radio station) is repeatedly hacked on the head by Chop Top and he just doesn't seem to die. In another great scene we are introduced to Grandma. The showdown at the end between Lefty and Leatherface is truly funny.

I strongly recommend this film to fans of the original.

Gorier than the original

Author: twatts7 from Chainsaworld
18 April 2001

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2 is much gorier than the original, which has a reputation for being a big gore-fest. This one's even crazier and funnier than Chainsaw 1. Bill Moseley as Chop-Top is great, spitting out some remarkably memorable quotes like, " Dog will hunt!"

Leatherface shows up alot in this film as he did in the original and the rest of the series. This one's filled with gore for sure, thanks to gore-wizard Tom Savini. Of course we can't forget Dennis Hopper's as the vengeful officer, searching for the killers of his brother's kids, Sallie and Franklin

Massacre of the original

Author: stenopelmatidae from mass
26 March 2001

Some argue that this film does what the original "intended" to do. Personally, I think this could be possible. In that case, I will go on believing that the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre was an unintentional masterpiece - the product of serendipity.

While TCM 2 may be a "hilarious" black-comedy film, it should have never been given the title of a TCM sequel. The crazy family have all been re-cast, and the characters themselves are completely different. "Leatherface," who is now verbally referred to as that, has a soft side and a conscience. "Chop-top" is now a full-blown hippie Vietnam veteran. The hero of the film is a chainsaw-toting cowboy named "Lefty," who spends most of his screen time sputtering quotes from the bible as he flails about. Overall, the film turned out to be more of a hackneyed drama/action hybrid like Speed or True Lies than a realism-driven horror film like it's predecessor. This movie is what a TCM Saturday morning cartoon would've been like.

Sucked

Author: vengeance20 from United Kingdom
9 October 2012

***Contains Spoilers***

After watching this sequel I was absolutely thrown back by miles! It was totally crap & also a massive spin off after the speech at the beginning of the film which gave somewhat of an indication that it was continuing the story line from the first Texas Chainsaw Massacre film. It was just terrible & I wouldn't recommend you see this as it literally just didn't look scary or even sinister.

It wouldn't have bothered me so much if they didn't make it look stupid & more of a comedy. Even if it meant completely different characters it wouldn't have been so bad as long as it was done in the same style as the first.

All in all terrible film.

Nothing Near The Brilliance Of The Original, But Certainly Not As Bad As Some Say

Author: Bensch from Salzburg, Austria
19 July 2007

Tobe Hooper's "Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2" of 1986, is certainly no masterpiece, and not even anywhere near the brilliance of the original "Texas Chain Saw Massacre" of 1974, but nevertheless, it is not nearly as awful as many people seem to feel it is. The sequel is certainly differs completely in plot and style, as it is in no way as raw and scary as the original, but more of a black comedy that sadly borders on complete silliness in some parts, but apart from its flaws the movie also has genuine creepiness, delightful gore, and many other great qualities. Number one: Dennis Hopper. Who else could fit in the role of a hard-boiled cynical Texas Ranger as Hopper does. One must give it to this sequel that some scenes are really as morbid as one should hope, and some sequences really are hilarious.

WARNING! SPOILERS AHEAD!

Vantia 'Stretch' Block (Caroline Williams), who hosts a Rock'n'Roll programme on a Texas radio station, is annoyed when two drunk idiots call her show and refuse to hang up the phone. Things quickly get interesting, when the two callers are sawed apart by our friend Leatherface and his freak brother on a freeway while live on air. Hoping for a jump in her career, Stetch decides to show the macabre tape to Lieutennant 'Lefty' Enright (Dennis Hopper), A Texas Marshall and uncle of Sally and Franklin Hardesty, who had been victimized by Leatherface and his demented cannibal family in the 1974 film. Lefty has been hunting the cannibal maniacs ever since, desperately following any clue...

As mentioned above, the casting of Dennis Hopper is one of this movie's best qualities and his character Lefty is responsible for most of the film's strongest and most hilarious scenes. I also liked Caroline Williams as southern beauty Stretch, she may not be the best actress ever, but she fit in perfectly in this movie, as far as I am considered. Lou Perryman plays the redneck radio station assistant LG way over the top, but this is exactly what fits in here.

Both Leatherface and his equally crazy brother are played by different actors than in the first movie, the only cannibal family member played by the actor from the original, is the family's sleazy and disgusting father who has in the meanwhile become an award-winning cook (due to 'quality meat'), played by Jim Siedow again. The fact that Leatherface is played by Bill Johnson instead of Gunnar Hanson doesn't make much of a difference, since he's wearing his lovely face mask all the time anyway. Ken Everett, who plays Leatherface's brother Chop Top does quite a good job being an extremely creepy and disgusting freak. Chop Top, who is obviously what the equally disgusting hitchhiker from part one (then played by Edwin Neal) has become, is great fun to watch, especially for his morbid and disgusting habits. Many things have changed since 1974, the cannibal family's morbid little house has somehow turned into a huge cave palace of necrophilia, for example.

The great gore effects are another quality, which doesn't surprise since Gore-icon Tom Savini was responsible for make up and effects.

All things considered, "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2" doesn't equal the innovative brilliance of the 1974 Classic, which was, without doubt, a milestone in Horror movie history, but it is nevertheless an entertaining mix of nasty Horror and black comedy. People should definitely see the original before seeing Part 2, but as far as I am concerned, this is not nearly as bad as some say. 6/10

The movie that spoofed itself

Author: Gafke from United States
1 February 2004

Wow. I've never seen a sequel that spoofs its predecessor harder than this one does. 10 years after the original TCM, Leatherface is back, making a stunning entrance atop a speeding pick-up truck with his legendary chainsaw held high. After dispatching two incredibly annoying, cell-phone wielding yuppies, the cannibalistic Sawyer family is after Stretch, a DJ who was on the phone with the two idiotic victims and heard everything that happened. Simultaneously using Stretch as bait and protecting her from the Sawyers is bug-eyed weirdo Dennis Hopper, playing the demented, chainsaw packing sheriff and uncle to one of the previous films unfortunate victims.

This movie is definitely played for comedy, black as it may be. It's almost a retelling of the first tale, as Stretch runs screaming through the Sawyers underground abode, only to end up bent over a washtub while Grandpa feebly whacks away at her head with a hammer. There's a great chainsaw-as-penis scene, where Leatherface suddenly discovers sex and orgasms and promptly loses interest in chainsawing Stretch to death. There's also a hideous hammer murder and a gruesome "defacing" scene, just so you don't forget that, no matter how hilarious, this movie is still about over-the-top gore, mutilations, cannibalism and fates worse than death. Just when your stomach starts lurching, along comes another sickening joke to relieve the tension.

This is a brilliantly done film, made even better by its offbeat humor and oddly likable characters. In my humble opinion, it's the perfect sequel, done the way more sequels ought to be done.

Meh.

Author: Clive McGraw from Australia
22 July 2008

I'm a REALLY big fan of the original TCM, I hadn't seen this for a while so I got it out today, and just finished watching it.

From the very outset I knew something was wrong as the voice over, is reading the fill in a little too fast. It kind of makes you realise that the whole film came about in the same way. The ideas were put to paper a little too fast, there wasn't enough time just having it sit in the writers head growing, and becoming refined.

The nest part of the intro, the ten minutes with the frat boys shooting signs and then playing chicken with the wrong hill billies, was awful, and leaves a bad taste in your mouth that pretty much sticks around for the rest of the movie. The tone and pace of the whole sequence is so different to the rest of the film, it just doesn't even fit in right, and a much better re-introduction of the maniacal family was really in order.

The comical bits were pretty stupid, as if that was the direction they wanted to go in, it should've been very dark humour...It could've been very disturbingly funny. The end scene in the original with the grandpa trying to bludgeon the girl with the hammer is pretty powerful, one of the few scenes in any movie that scares me a little, it feels like your in the same messed up situation. The end scene in this is just....meh.

If the film was more dark, the final shot in this, mirroring the final shot of leather face in the first. Again would've been powerful and really effective.

Bill Moseley asking if the tape was from the Rambo 3 soundtrack was retarded, not just because the movie only came out two years after this (I just looked that up, didn't know it off the top of my head), which could've still made sense and is not necessarily a goof. But it doesn't make sense that the family would know what Rambo was, as they are segregated from society and only the dad interacts with other people.

I liked the chilli cook off idea. That worked well with the black humour theme, it's just too bad everything else they tried didn't.

Once again Tobe Hooper shows of his ability to shot the exterior's of buildings really well. Actually I think many of his shots in this were good. Just the script killed it self.

Lousy Follow-Up To A Landmark Horror Film.

Author: drownsoda90 from Portland, Oregon, USA
27 August 2004

When I saw Tobe Hooper was directing this, I was thinking "Okay, this should be decent, it's the director of the original". Boy was I wrong. This movie didn't seem like a Texas Chainsaw Massacre film at all, it was just some plain, corny, gory flick. One reason is because a lot of it was taken place in a radio station, so the isolation and helplessness that all the other films contain is gone. It seemed like half the movie is Leatherface and ChopTop chasing this radio host around the radio station, which got old really quick. Then it turns out the family's home is a maze of caverns that was formerly a Texas state national park, each tunnel being decorated with lights, furniture, and corpses.

The biggest problem that I have with the film though, is that it lost all similarities with the original film, which I consider to be the best horror film of all time. It's much more comical, and much less serious. The powerful, grainy, realistic aura of the original film is completely lost, this film is more of a quirky freak show of the Sawyer family. It doesn't match up with the terrifying original.

Bottom line is, Mr. Hooper lost what the rest of these films had - the sense of isolation in the Texas country, and the serious, realistic attitude that made the original movie so scary. This film is in my opinion the worst sequel of the series. If you're going to see this, just don't expect anything close to the original. I think that may be the reason I didn't like it as much, I had no idea that it was so different. 5/10.

Although not the serious sequel we were expecting but it is entertaining for a messy sequel.

Author: Lucien Lessard from Canada
25 August 2005

For 14 years, there's has been reports of disturbing, horrific murders. The weapon of choice is a Chainsaw to these horrible crimes. When a tough as nails late-night disc jockey (Caroline Williams) accidentally caught their last crime on a tape from a telephone call by two rich kids (Barry Kingon & Chris Dovriads). A former Texas ranger by the name of Lefty Enright (Dennis Hopper) is obsessed for years trying to catch these psychotic mass-murderer. The only person is left to help is the disc jockey. When Lefty persuades her to play the tape. She haven't realize that she is the only witness (soundwise) to the crime & she lure the maniacs out of their hiding places and try to get rid of her.

Directed by Tobe Hooper (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Eaten Alive, Salem's Lot) made a wilder, hilarious, straight-face spoof of the original. It's seems that Hooper wanted to make fun of his original film and make it different. Dennis Hopper did definitely did this film for the money but Hopper seems to be enjoying himself in some scenes. This has terrific make-up effects by Tom Savini (Creepshow, Dawn of the Dead, Friday the 13th). The movie even has a Stanley Kubrick reference! This film did OK at the box office but it become more successful on video.

DVD has an fine non-anamorphic Widescreen (1.85:1) transfer (also in Pan & Scan) and an good-Dolby Surround 2.0 Sound. DVD only extra is the original theatrical trailer. An alternative version exist of the film with 14 minutes of additional footage on Laserdisc & VHS.

The latest DVD transfer from MGM/Fox is superb. This new DVD titled "The Gruesome Edition" is excellent. There's two commentary tracks by the filmmaker, the cast and make-up effects artists. Which no doubt... they are informative, entertaining, funny and never boring. Commentary one is by the director and documentarian filmmaker:David Gregory (Who directed "The Shocking Truth" for the latest Two Disc Set for the original "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre"). Commentary Two is by actors:Bill Moseley and Caroline Williams, Make-Up effects artist:Tom Savini and DVD Producer:Michael Felsher. DVD includes:A Six Part featurette titled "It Runs in the Family", Deleted Scenes and more.

The crazed killers are played by Bill Johnson as Leatherface, Bill Moseley as Chop-Top, Jim Siedow as Drayton Sawyer & Ken Evert as Grandpa. Siedow is the only actor is back from the original. Moseley as Chop-Top is a total hoot. This film is not as good as the original but only funnier! Written by L.M. Kit Carson (Paris, Texas). (****/*****).

Fitting Sequel

Author: Nicholas Rhodes from Ile-de-France / Paris Region, France
15 July 2004

Very similar to the first movie,some of the actors even

look the same ( those that survived first time round ). Granpa must be really old by now and he just cannot bring that hammer down with enough force to split the young ladies' head apart. I seem to remember him having the same trouble in the first film. The sets for the last half hour are really spaced out and I wonder where they shot it. There is more comedy and tongue-in-cheek humour than in the original film, and the glorifying of the chain saw as a "sacred" object is obviously pushed further! I reckon the directer wanted to get a few things across that he regretted not having put in the original film ! Picture quality is obviously better than first time round. I would say that what is missing is the novelty effect but with a sequel we obviously cannot expect that. If you liked the original movie, then this one shouldn't disappoint too much. I wonder what happened to Dennis Hopper in the end !

Page 2 of 25:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]