IMDb > The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Sucked

Author: vengeance20 from United Kingdom
9 October 2012

***Contains Spoilers***

After watching this sequel I was absolutely thrown back by miles! It was totally crap & also a massive spin off after the speech at the beginning of the film which gave somewhat of an indication that it was continuing the story line from the first Texas Chainsaw Massacre film. It was just terrible & I wouldn't recommend you see this as it literally just didn't look scary or even sinister.

It wouldn't have bothered me so much if they didn't make it look stupid & more of a comedy. Even if it meant completely different characters it wouldn't have been so bad as long as it was done in the same style as the first.

All in all terrible film.

Meh.

Author: Clive McGraw from Australia
22 July 2008

I'm a REALLY big fan of the original TCM, I hadn't seen this for a while so I got it out today, and just finished watching it.

From the very outset I knew something was wrong as the voice over, is reading the fill in a little too fast. It kind of makes you realise that the whole film came about in the same way. The ideas were put to paper a little too fast, there wasn't enough time just having it sit in the writers head growing, and becoming refined.

The nest part of the intro, the ten minutes with the frat boys shooting signs and then playing chicken with the wrong hill billies, was awful, and leaves a bad taste in your mouth that pretty much sticks around for the rest of the movie. The tone and pace of the whole sequence is so different to the rest of the film, it just doesn't even fit in right, and a much better re-introduction of the maniacal family was really in order.

The comical bits were pretty stupid, as if that was the direction they wanted to go in, it should've been very dark humour...It could've been very disturbingly funny. The end scene in the original with the grandpa trying to bludgeon the girl with the hammer is pretty powerful, one of the few scenes in any movie that scares me a little, it feels like your in the same messed up situation. The end scene in this is just....meh.

If the film was more dark, the final shot in this, mirroring the final shot of leather face in the first. Again would've been powerful and really effective.

Bill Moseley asking if the tape was from the Rambo 3 soundtrack was retarded, not just because the movie only came out two years after this (I just looked that up, didn't know it off the top of my head), which could've still made sense and is not necessarily a goof. But it doesn't make sense that the family would know what Rambo was, as they are segregated from society and only the dad interacts with other people.

I liked the chilli cook off idea. That worked well with the black humour theme, it's just too bad everything else they tried didn't.

Once again Tobe Hooper shows of his ability to shot the exterior's of buildings really well. Actually I think many of his shots in this were good. Just the script killed it self.

funny in its own way

Author: joseph-horseman from United Kingdom
1 September 2013

this film is great if you like dark humour like me but if you are looking for a serious sequel then you are not going to enjoy this movie i would suggest watching the remake or Texas chain saw the beginning or even the third movie. Overall this movie is good in its own way because it is not trying to be as good or better than the original its kind of a spoof or satire of the original and thats what makes it unique and stand out and there is no point in comparing this to the original because they are both totally different movies but still share the same characters in my opinion it is a good movie in a strange way because it shows that a ton of effort was put in by the actors and behind the scenes because all the characters are believable and the sets and lighting in this movie gives it its own kind of style so i would recommend this movie to people who like dark humour and are fans of the franchise.

The ending saved you Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2

Author: Snyder-matthew23 from United States
6 April 2013

This movie was good... In the beginning and then, of course, it drops to being boring as hell. I loved all the other Texas Chainsaw's but this one was disappointing. I got my hopes up and thought I would love it but it was just plain good and average. I guess that's good right? Well the first 10 minutes and the last 10 minutes saved this film from being to a 5 from 7 stars. The rest of it was just boring. You would be expecting this movie to be fun when the title with the words "Chainsaw" and "Massacre" are in it. It still was a little bit fun but that was only at rare time periods. This one is my least favorite out of the Texas Chainsaw series. I thought this film was overall OK and I would only recommend this to super Texas Chainsaw fans.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2

Author: Toronto85 from Canada
29 June 2011

TCM 2 was definitely not as serious as the original film, but it had a lot of charm to it. It begins in Texas (of course) with two young men driving along the road. They call a local radio station which is when we meet our leading lady Stretch (Caroline Williams) the DJ. While on the phone with the guys, Leatherface murders both of them Stretch manages to hear the chainsaw in the background. The police try to make their deaths seem like a simple auto accident, but when a former Texas Ranger Lefty (Dennis Hopper) sees the accident scene, he knows it was more than an accident. And when Stretch gives him the audio tape of the murder, he realizes that Leatherface has struck again. Once the infamous Sawyer family catches on that people know of their crimes, they trap Stretch in their sick twisted maze of dead corpses and rotting flesh.

Chainsaw 2 was made at a time when it was competing with the Krueger/Myers/Vorhees sequels. So it had to live up to the modern day slasher film, that means more blood. It's a lot more gory than the controversial first TCM. In this one, you literally see a guy get skinned alive, his face is almost peeled off for Leatherface to use as a mask. Oh and the family is explored more in this sequel. Jim Siedow reprises the role of "The Cook" Drayton Sawyer. He now sells chili to the fine people of Texas. He proclaims at a local cook off that it's his special secret recipe. Take a guess what he uses to make the chili....

Yeah so as you can see, TCM 2 is a little more morbid and comical in a black comedy sort of way. The maze that Stretch gets trapped in near the end is an old amusement park that the Sawyers are living in. Very creepy set they built for it as well. The acting is pretty good for this one as well. We also discover Dennis Hopper's character is related to Franklin, the man in the wheelchair from the first TCM. Nice little connection. All in all, a decent sequel to a 70's classic. It's not as memorable as the first or even as good, but a fine slasher film nonetheless.

Sex or the Saw, but the Saw is FAMILY!

Author: tequila101 from Australia
30 April 2011

U got one choice boy, sex or the saw! I remember that line in the film the most and it was my favorite quote. Anyway let's get down to another review of horror madness from the dead, lol.

The original 1974 cult (never go to Texas) classic Texas Chainsaw Massacre was a large hit and still remains in our souls of being one of the most bone chilling, shocking horror films of all time. It is my third favorite horror film and I treasure it for it's memories of disgust but intelligent scares. That was Tobe Hooper's good and only really scary film.

Now the his sequel "The Buzz is Back!" isn't a bad sequel at all though it really falls on the lines of the original as Tobe decided to go to a more comedic root instead of sticking to the horror ones. The horror roots were put back into the third and fourth though they are way beyond crappy.

Moving on I'll point out the good and bad plotters for TCM 2.

The good: The acting is still good especially Bill Moselsy who played the insane, cannibalistic f***ed up Chop Top who loves his dead corpses. The only returning character (s) is Dawerer (I think that's his name) and he still did a good job. Dennis Hopper also did really well and the back up actors were average.

The kills aren't great though there bloody enough. 1 point there.

The music also had a weird feel to it and the humor was contained well and there were enough scenes to make me enjoy this film a lot.

The bad: The only problem I had with this film was that even if the humor was average and contained well, it sucked that Tobe Hooper took it to a different level and the scares are no where to be found. That's the only major problem other wise.....

6.5/10 (It's another good slasher film if your bored and it has the right amount of enjoyment leaking out of it) I would watch this awesome sequel than wasting my time on TCM 3, TCM Next Gen and TCm the Beginning. My opinion.

A definite classic!

Author: imad_jafar (imad_jafar@hotmail.com) from Pakistan
8 February 2010

This shocking - and bizarre - sequel to director Tobe Hooper's own 1974 original is one of the greatest slasher films of the past thirty years. It has, however, been overlooked by both critics and fans, who, in the past, have detested and misunderstood it's rich combination of insane black comedy and harrowing horror. Perhaps they were expecting another disturbingly suggestive nightmare like the first "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" - this just seemed so immature with it's scenes of explicit violence. It's zany style, coupled with Dennis Hopper's maniacal performance, is, however, a masterstroke that Hooper manages to pull off surprisingly well. The movie bursts with inventive Gothic satire and an unrelenting energy so powerful that it deserves to have it's own position as a landmark fright flick. This is one slasher film that is a must-see for any true fan of the sub-genre.

Cool film!

Author: experten-1 from Russian Federation
20 May 2009

Cool film! On another also you will not tell. In difference from the cult first film which become by the ancestor of a genre and has generated numerous continuations and imitations, the sequel has turned out with a strong bias in «a black comedy» balancing on the verge of a trash. Well, where you still will see fight on Chainsawes between Leatherface and the sheriff? It is worthy of it, that it have looked! And an episode when the sheriff chooses to itself these most Chainsaw for forthcoming fight is simply hilarious. Though blood in a film like many, but rather bloody episodes of all, perhaps, two: in one scenes, one of members of a family a hammer has smashed a head to the employee of radio and an episode rip up a stomach Chainsaw. And this with the fact that I looked the full version of a film designated as «gruesome version». Nevertheless, the film has turned out in my opinion very quite good: It very dynamical, especially since an episode when Leatherface with brother to be declared on dismantling on radio station – from this point on in general begins a high-grade drive to the end of a film. Here I looked without coming off. It is necessary to tell about actor's works especially. Actor Dennis the Hopper which became popular enough actor in America after a cult film «Careless goer», all film goes with the most serious look, but thus, does amazing acts, and looks impressively. But the actress of Carolina Williams became a film star. Actually the most part of screen time is taken away to it, instead of Leatherface. By the way, the actress who at the moment of shootings was 29 years, looks it very not bad in all senses that is called, will handicap many young. She also plays pretty well, and very nice in itself. Though nudity with its participation in a film is not present, it is compensated to that the actress all film goes in super-short shorts and . In a film there is one episode when art of the director to create full erotic scene from anything, has proved to be in all beauty – in one of episodes of Leatherface gently drives switched off Chainsaw on the bared foot of Stretch, and then rested Chainsaw to it in pubis simulates sexual intercourse. Yes, it's worth seeing! to Make from Chainsaw phallus a symbol such it is necessary to think up! Tob Huper unequivocally talent. And victorious dance of Stretch with Chainsaw in hands in the film ending unequivocally makes impression original anthem of a bloody victory! It is a pity that Carolina Williams did not become the well-known actress though the data at it, in my opinion, all were. By the way, in the third part of a serial - The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3, Carolina Williams has seemed in a tiny episode without words (will look the third part – pay attention on reporter at the very beginning of a film), probably to show communication between the second and third part of a serial. I summaries. An original and dynamical sequel with a bias in a black comedy. It is necessary to look unequivocally. In my opinion, one of the best parts of a serial.

The Leather One is Back!

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
7 October 2002

[CONTAINS SPOILERS]

Our story opens with two ignorant college boys driving into Texas. They listen to a radio personality, Vantia "Stretch" Block. They crank call her and won't leave her alone. The fun goes on all night until pretty soon a truck is driving beside the boys. On the back is a strange looking character. He whips out his chain saw and saws off the top of the boy driving which results in a terrible car crash. The killer was, of course, Leatherface.

Stretch had got the whole thing on tape. The screaming and the saw buzzing. This whole thing seemed to interest Texas Marshall, Lt. 'Lefty' Enright. Lefty was the father of Sally and Franklin Hardesty, from the first Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Stretch tried showing the tape to Lefty, even play it on the air. Lefty didn't seem at all interested, but he secretly knew all about these sick people and wanted very much to get revenge on them for killing his son. He goes to a hardware store, buys three chain saws, two little ones and one big one. He tries them out aggressively on a log. That night, Stretch found a weird character in the studio. His name was Chop Top. He was also the hitchhiker from the first movie. He had heard Stretch's tape over the air and seemed very interested in it. Suddenly, out of the record room came Leatherface, or Bubba, with his chain saw roaring. He chased Stretch into a storeroom where she was somehow able to talk him down, so Leatherface and Chop Top left, taking L.G. McPeters, Stretch's partner with them. She followed them to their secluded spot. Lefty also arrived; in their secluded spot, skeletons and human bones were everywhere. Also down there was Dreyton Sawyer and Grandpa! Stretch witnessed the gruesome skinning of L.G., then Lefty burst in with his chain saws for a showdown! Sawyer had a grenade and it went off, but it is unclear whether he, Lefty and Leatherface were blown sky high. Stretch takes a chain saw from Grandma's skeleton, starts it up and screams like a maniac.

My opinion: somewhat of a downer. This one is much more violent than the first. Dennis Hopper is here. Caroline Williams, who plays Stretch, also appeared in Leprechaun 3. Also, in the opening narration, the narrator says the van that belonged to Sally Hardesty and her friends was a Volkswagen. It wasn't. It was a GMC, I think, or maybe a Chevy. And this is also the only one where Sally was referred to as Sally Hardesty-Enright. She wasn't called that in the first one. We learn, in the opening narration, that poor Sally went into catatonia after her encounter with Leatherface and died shortly thereafter. Tragic. But in conclusion, if you saw the first, you oughta see this one.

The intent to be TRASH

Author: David Balparda de Carvalho (Ackbar-2) from Belo Horizonte, Brazil
12 May 2001

Alright, this movie does not have the ambient of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1, and though gorier and with better effects, not as half as scary. I must say, this is a Trash movie.

On my view, this masterpiece had to be made on purpose to be Trash. Very few would, in full mental faculties, finish shooting THIS and think of it seriously.

(SPOILER) The grandpa hammering scene, the chainsaw duel, the Lefty demolition, Leatherface's love, Chop Top himself, are Trash in concept. As for the chainsaw duel, here's a bit of physics: conservation of angular momentum makes the chainsaw unwieldy to swing, so the duel would be quite tough in real life. Well, that's what movies are all about, aren't they?

Page 2 of 26:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]