IMDb > TerrorVision (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
TerrorVision

TerrorVision More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

TerrorVision owns the WORLD!

Author: FatLadyKILLER from United States
30 January 2005

TerrorVision is one of the most original B-Films ever made. A very sexy Elvira type woman named Medusa, a heavy metal dude named OD, plenty of awesome FX and alien monsters. Ted Nicolaou directed this horror/sci-fiction/comedy. Movies like this need to be released. I swear, I have seen some HORRIBLE films make the DVD jump. Why in the hell can't TerrorVision? Its an absolute crime. A CRIME I tell you! But wait! Now, you too can help. Yes, thats right. There's now a petition to get TerrorVision on DVD once and for all! It is located at PetitionSpot.com. I'm having trouble posting the link for it, so if it doesn't work go to google or petitionspot and look fr the TerrorVision DVD petition. Come on, go sign it and help!

Do not change that channel! Check out this hysterically bizarre film instead...

Author: David Choi from New Jersey, USA
3 August 1999

TERRORVISION is a very peculiar horror-comedy that has the word "camp" labeled all over it. This fairy tale tells about a sloppy alien puppet monster who, presumably by accident, enters Planet Earth via a TV satellite dish. This enormous monster appears on the TV screen at first, then, talk about visual effects, it eventually materializes, appearing live, in the flesh! Talk about audience participation!!

Gerrit Graham (PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE, THE ANNIHILATORS) and Mary Wodornov (EATING RAOUL) portray the Puttermans, a happily married suburban couple. They do not realize the "realism" of the monster they see on TV, HA! This so-called "couple" leads a VERY dysfunctional family with a military obsessed son and his survivalist grandfather. There is also a crazed daughter who loves heavy metal rock music, and her mentally inept boyfriend, who looks like Kid Rock minus the attitude and pizzazz. There is also a horror movie hostess, Medusa (Jennifer Richards) who fits into this scheme for absolutely no plausible reason. Meanwhile, the monster devours each of the family members one by one...later reproducing their heads when necessary in order to cover up its actions.

Planet Earth is in grave danger, once again and its only chance into stopping this hungry creature is an intergalactic police alien. He explains to everyone that this creature was originally suppose to be disposed of...but instead, it lands on Planet Earth. This interstellar alien cop is the only one who can blast the gross alien creature into oblivion but...well, I'm sure that you are interested in finding out the rest, so go see this movie!

TERRORVISION is a funny, hilarious horror cult film that has plenty of humor to liven this movie up. There are silly one-liners, hokey special effects, and a variety of "eccentric" characters to give this film strength. It is a stupid film at times, and the cast definitely overacts, but if you are looking for a nice, relaxing horror film that offers a very different style from the rest of the horror movies in this genre, then TERRORVISION is recommended for you!

This film was again produced by the one and only Empire Pictures, and you know what that means: cheesy special effects and acting galore! The monster especially is the most ludicrous...hairball-type creature that I have ever seen on screen. The rest of the special FX in this movie are standard fare though, with a elegant touch of cheekiness...

If you are in the mood for a humorously bad movie, then this picture is the perfect candidate for you! In addition to being a delightfully stomach churning horror experience, TERRORVISION is a satire on the media-obsessed suburban middle class family. Hey, these guys make "The Simpsons" look and act like those mature, civilized, and pleasantly lovable neighbors living next door. If you thought that your own family may be "dysfunctional," hey (trust me), the family portrayed in this movie will add new meaning to that word!

For a fine sense of humor that will appeal to cult film fans, TERRORVISION is destined to become that next "special" classic. Beware, if you are not prepared to laugh and be disgusted at the same time, then perhaps you should skip this film...

RATING: ** out of ****.

Remember the 80s!

Author: otaku312 from United States
21 April 2006

"Terrorvision" is a fun little slab of 80s cheese. With the costumes,(ranging from Yuppie to Metal Head to Cyndi Lauper) slang, set decor, music (including a 5 sec shot of Blackie Lawless from W.A.S.P. >:) ) props (including a hi-fi with the one of the first CD players.) this movie doesn't need carbon dating to show it was made in that era. I first came across this film on the Sci-Fi Channel in the summer of 1999 (the defunct Vestron Television was the ones who distributed the edited mess and judging by the edits made for broadcast, this was aired circa the late 80s when FCC restrictions were *really* tight) I kinda threw it off as a bad movie. Years later, I picked up the complete R-rated video at the local mom-and-pop video store and watched it. The 2nd time around was way better than the first. My opinion changed after seeing the full version. If you like classic B-movie material meshed with the 80s, this is your movie.

A collectible classic. Unforgettable Sci-Funny movie.

Author: Peter from Australia
20 January 2006

8 (or more) out of 10 for those of us who like this particular genre. Otherwise it just may not be for you. If you like good comedy timing, some great lines and a well put together cast of characters then this one is for you. The story is pretty original. A stray transportation beam is accidentally caught by the Putterman family's el-cheapo satellite receiver and a large stray pet alien dog-like creature materialises inside the Putterman mansion. The Putterman's are swingers and leave to meet and later invite the 'Man's Man' Spiro, a muscular Greek gay to their residence. While their gone, we meet the kids, grandpa and the pet-thing. The kids try and train the alien pet who unfortunately isn't normal, even to alien standards and proceeds to eat friends, relatives and almost anyone who drops by.

Parts of the film remind me of Eating Raoul, The Big Bus and a little bit of Bucakroo Banzai as it plays like a cartoon. The main theme (Terrorvision) is really catchy. All in all, a movie that you are bound to watch again, just to re-experience some great lines and scenes.

Good ole fun

Author: one4now4 from Ft. Worth, TX, USA
25 October 2003

This is a movie I've kind of been wanting to see. I am ready to add this to my list of personal favorites after watching it for the first time, so I know they did some stuff right. While it's still fresh in my mind, there are some things I definitely want to say. First off, I am extremely surprised that this doesn't seem to have a cult following to it. "TerrorVision" is a great film that should have definitely achieved cult status. From the start (after some credits set to music by Siouxsie and the Banshees imitators!), this has a definite John Waters look and feel. When the fast-paced story moves into grotesque monster territory, it gets even better. And, regardless of how goofy it is, I dig the commentaries the filmmakers are sprinkling all throughout this movie, the main one of all being the most obvious: television giving birth to monsters. This is definitely one of those wild movies that gets weirder and more bizarre as it moves along. As for people quoting favorite lines from Bert Remsen's "Gramps" character, I love it when he refers to MTV as a secret conspiracy to rot the brain. "TerrorVision" wasn't as gory as I've heard, relying more on gooey FX than gory ones, but there are no complaints here. I love this, it was a real upper of a flagrant horror satire. I am so glad I saw this, and I would give it no less than a definite 9 on a scale of one to ten. In fact, I'm tempted to give it a full 10.

terror-vision music

Author: eilon elikam (eilonelikam@hotmail.com) from Israel
6 March 2005

well, i saw some comment's on the film's music. the band who wrote and performed all the themes are an l.a "art" punk band called: "the Fibonaccis", the movie soundtrack is almost impossible to get. those fibonaccis guys are really one of it's kind, play some strange mixture of lounge and punk music, with obvious 50's, 60's retro, like the movie itself. and for the movie, i just love it, light, cheesy entertainment, with lot's of weird stuff and a monster who ate'em all. it is just plain simple and clear that this is intended bad taste. and unlike some other "the worst the better" trash flicks, this one just works great. o.d character is kicking ass, and the "this is food, this is rocknroll" scenes are over the top. the set that in this case is the family's house is a mess, in a good way of course. it seems like the movie is being taken in some futuristic period of time, with a sixties mood in it. a world where everyone is in to party's, late t.v, and cooool cars.

Lyrical Silly Charm

Author: Damien Harvey from United States
26 January 2007

Sherman Putterman is your standard alien monster film kid who has seen a monster but can't get anyone else to believe him. His grandpa (Bert Remsen in the film's best performance) is a survivalist promoting his lizard tail jerky product (the perfect food because lizards' tails grow back and you can eat it again) and hiding out in his well-stocked fallout shelter.

If it were possible for a complete parody to be called original, "Terrorvision" (1986) would be the first to qualify. This is another cheap Albert and Charles Band (Empire Studios) production, but is not as mindless as something like "Redneck Zombies" and even has a bit of lyrical (yet very silly) charm. Everyone involved is obviously having a good time and the creature is much like something Richard Carlson would have encountered in a 1950's sci-fi film, but with much more slime. Not until "The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra" would there be a more self-aware genre parody. Although rated "R" because of some off-color humor, it would not be worth denying middle schoolers the pleasure of viewing this film because the overall style and effect is best appreciated by that age group.

Sherman's swinging parents are Gerrit Graham (who played superstitious car salesman Jeff in "Used Cars") and Mary Woronov ("Eating Raoul").

1980's teen queen Diane Franklin plays Sherman's sister Suzy and Jon Gries (of "Pretender" fame) is her boyfriend "O.D." who is really into heavy metal music. Franklin is almost unrecognizable in her mid-1980's "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" look.

Although the parody is primarily directed at the excessive cuteness of "ET", "Terrorvision" also goes after Elvira and Vampira with a similar late night horror show hostess called Medusa who wears a wig of snakes, has two enormous talents, and manages a host(ess) of semi-explicit puns.

The real star is an alien house pet whose mutation into a hungry beast forced its owners to send its atoms out into space. The film begins on a distant planet where this mutated pet is being processed at the mutated creature facility. A stray planet causes the creatures atoms to deflect through space until it finally is sucked down to earth by Sherman's father's new satellite dish.

By the middle of the film the monster has chewed and sucked its way through most of the family and their friends when Sherman, Suzy, and OD have an "ET" moment with it. The monster can mimic anyone it has eaten so the other cast members have a couple of post- demise scenes.

"Man, this is the dumbest movie I ever saw!"

Author: lost-in-limbo from the Mad Hatter's tea party.
7 October 2011

Charles Band and Albert Band's Empire pictures have made some fun productions and "Terrorvision" happens to be one of those inclusions. Wacky sci-fi horror comedy with a terrifically animated cast featuring Mary Woronov, Gerrit Graham, Diana Franklin and John Gries with vividly chintzy special effects by John Carl Buechler. The cartoon-like premise is quite original and mock-serious in its approach, which sees the Puttermans a suburban family getting a new satellite TV which draws in a hungry outer space monster (which looks great). This monster then goes about eating the family, by transporting its self from one TV to another. Everything is done in a comical manner and purposely so, from the flamboyant performances to the colourfully cheap sets and then the creatively grotesque make-up effects. It's downright goofy and surreal, but still far from light-hearted with it streaming with numerous oddball sexual innuendo (especially since Woronov and Graham are playing swingers) and an Elvira like character known as Medusa. Director Ted Nicolaou does a capable job. Diana Franklin is cute and Chad Allen is likable as the young boy who goes up against the beast. While short-lived, it's a constantly amusing tongue-in-cheek outing that's fairly unpredictable, while at the same time haphazard. Despite the fair share of hate, I found it hard not to like this camped-out medium.

"What you looking at you creep".

TV - TV - Foooooooooooooood!

Author: Julie Hoverson from Seattle
28 October 2003

Can't help it, I love this dorky pile of schlock. While, yes, it is a bad homage to cheesy horror films, it has a "certain naive charm."

Plot: An alien pet which has been disintegrated and shot into space (the alien equivalent of "putting to sleep") is accidentally picked up by a haywire satellite receiver (remember back when they were the size of a hot tub, rather than a dinner plate?) and begins to appear - and come out of - the various TVs of the Putterman household.

The Puttermans aren't your average family, either - Mom and Dad like to swing (and the house is LOADED with the least tasteful erotic art I've ever seen), Grampa is some kind of vet who lives in the basement/bomb shelter and tries to sell people on the ultimate survival food - lizard tail jerky ("you break off its tail, and it grows another one, then you break that one off, and it grows another one!!"), sister Suzy is a Cyndi Lauper clone, and Sherman, the baby (well, he's probably about 12) seems normal, but comments are constantly being made as to his "meds" and the possibility of being sent back to the doctor... It's like the Addams family by way of the self-serving 80s.

(spoilers)

So the alien starts to eat people. That's because it's a Hungry Beast - its insatiable appetite is what got it vaporized in the first place. It can also extrude simulacrums of anyone whom it has eaten, and speak in their voices - meaning that even after dad and mom are appetizers, they can still tell the kids to butt out when questioned about what's going on in their bedroom. ("Gross!")

Oh, and there's a lot of goo.

However, the movie takes a sentimental turn when Sherman, who has only survived by breaking every TV in sight ("securing the perimeter") and set off grenades, is joined by his sister and her boyfriend O.D. (a metalhead, complete with black leather and spikes) - they manage to make friends with the beast and start training it to speak (O.D. - "you know, like in that movie with the ugly little alien that made you cry like a butt-head.").

Nothing nice lasts, and the ending leaves you wondering just how much of the world the Hungry Beast may be able to devour.

My favorite part (among many) of this movie is Medusa - she's a late-night horror hostess (very much an Elvira clone with a head of foam-rubber snakes) who Sherman calls and tells about the monster. I also love Grampa's attitude toward TV: "War flicks and monster movies - they're both survival oriented!"

The movie is never taken seriously (even by the actors, who ham up every moment), and just plain fun to boot. In a world of cheese, this is one of those movies I come back to over and over again.

One parting warning (courtesy of Grampa): "Brain shot - gets 'em every time!!!"

Totally trash

Author: ricardovs27 from Brazil
13 December 2005

Well, I have watched this movie when I was a teen, about 15 years ago, and recently found it in a VHS sale. Of course I picked it at once, because I could not help myself smiling at the sight of it. The movie is a trash jewel, any fan of horror flicks should watch it at least once in their lives. The performances are poor and over the top, the effects are cheesy, the script is a complete turmoil... But I dare say that you have to like it! The one that has never seen a pure garbage movie throw the first stone. The productions from Empire, owned by Charles Band, are famous for the lack of common sense and this is not an exception. Like I stated before, do not expect anything but an hour and a half of involuntary laughs, it is a totally trash movie through and through.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]