IMDb > Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 1 of 22:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Hugely enjoyable!

Author: NiceGuyTommy from Bristol, England
21 February 2005

First off, I'm not a big BIG 'Star Trek' fan. I've seen the first six films, and catch an episode of the TV series every now and then (I saw the whole first season recently, which made me re-visit the Shatner/Nimoy films). I did however, find this film extremely entertaining! In fact, it was about as much fun as I think you can have at home with a (tasteful) video! I found 'Star Trek: The Motion Picture' a tad dull, although I still enjoyed it. And II and III work well together, and are both enjoyable sci-fi action flicks ('Wrath of Khan' is another classic, but I feel IV pips it to the post). However, when 'The Voyage Home' was over, I had no idea that a film with a plot which involved two humpback whales and mid-1980s San Fransico could be so damn fun.

Shatner is on great form as the rogue Capt. Kirk, and Nimoy is brilliant in conveying Spocks absolute confusion at being stuck on a planet he partly understands, in a time he cannot comprehend. When Kirk explains Spocks oddness to the brilliant and frankly underused actress Catherine Hicks, Kirk says that Spock did a lot of "LDS" back in college.

Kelley, Takei and company are all on fine form, and the score, direction and script all work brilliantly. The fact that the 1980s now seems so long ago (it after all, did not age as well as some decades) only adds to the films premise.

I would thoroughly recommend this film to anyone - 'Star Trek' fan or not - as it is a wonderfully entertaining film for all ages. I'm sure wherever Gene Roddenberry is, he looks back on this film venture with a wry smile and a bag of popcorn.

Star Trek 4: Get Your Whale On Baby

Author: garthbarnes-83945 from United States
27 June 2015

Spoilers Ahead:

OK, now if some giant, black, anal probe looking thing starts tooling around shutting down everything and killing everybody, do you think it might be hostile? If monkey boys can tell their effects on their universe why would this giant suppository be different. Oh, it is full of whales seeking their progeny currently swimming, eating and crapping in the oceans of the past? Whales are always friendly, just ask the seals being thrown back and forth on the discovery channel while killer whales, those saintly creatures, take bites out of them while they scream. What is with these people? Why are all superior creatures, always benign? In THE MOTIONLESS PICTURE, the giant ball of rectum gas apparently did not know scans from weapons; gee, the people who made the Star Trek movies can, if they can anybody could. Give us a break, stop worshiping lower life forms and get some therapy. The plan is we go to the past in this old, beat up, piece of crap bird of prey pick up some whales and 2000 tons of water and try to attain the same speed when we almost all died last time? It wiped out the dilithium crystals in the monkey boy engines? Did the person who wrote this take serious sedating medicines? Is he under ten years old? Is the script written in crayon?

What is with these people? Superior beings in their films that are oblivious to wiping out everything around them. I do not care what monkey boy Spock says, on earth, as you ascend the evolutionary ladder it comes with greater not lesser awareness of the consequences of how your actions effect your environment. Non Sequitur, pointy. Whale Woman is a great teaching tool if you know someone talking like this open the phone book to T for therapist. I cannot type what is going on let's just say she really, really, really likes whales. It started way back here even before DANCES WITH WOLVES, glorifying lower life forms or primitive cultures idealizing them beyond Walt Disney to a psychotic level. These are animals they eat each other OK? They did not descend from heaven in a beam of light, get a grip on yourself, you are scaring us.

Presumeably, the eating, swimming and crapping machines will do what Star Trek people cannot do, tell the anal probe, "hey, do you notice our oceans going into the sky, that kills us retards?; get lost, go eat some mackerel." To people who read these things called books without the really big print and pictures your movies are frightening. Next time you see a pod of hungry killer whales take off your clothes and jump in there, good luck to you. You look like a giant Reuben sandwich to them. Yes, Whale Woman we promise after we feed the billions of starving people and eliminate poverty and suffering; the whales are next on the list, until then take these pills for us. What is hilarious is if other humans were doing this it would be inimical but whales? Oh, they love everybody; listen, GALOOOOO, BALLOOOO that means we love you. Please, you are making us sick. This movie is drop dead funny and I do not mean that in a nice way.

There be whales here.

Author: bigwig_thalyi from United Kingdom
25 July 2005

An alien probe is heading towards earth causing tidal waves and hurricane winds. The probe is trying to get in touch with humpback whales which no longer exist.In time honoured tradition it is up to James kirk and crew to go back to the 20th century, find some humpback whales,take them home with him and save the day again. This is by far the funniest of all the star trek films due to the fact that it is played totally tongue in cheek and the cast aren't afraid to poke fun at themselves.To the crew it is like visiting an "undiscovered country" and the customs of modern man confuse them totally. Catherine Hicks plays their 20th century contact,joins in the fun and adds to the confusion they are feeling by playing her role totally straight. Some classic scenes include Scotty trying to instruct a computer by talking into the mouse,Dr Mcoys horror when surgeons are about to drill into Chekovs skull and Spocks solution to dealing with an arrogant yob on a bus. However it also has a serious ecological message.If we don't stop destroying our planet then the day could well come when every kind of whale will cease to exit.Some video clips, shown in the scene in the museum,displaying images of men killing whales are disturbing because they are real. Watch this film ,enjoy it, but remember that sometimes fact is more disturbing than fiction. In memory of James Doohan 1920- 2005 RIP.

The most popular Star Trek movie

Author: perfectbond
4 February 2003

The Voyage Home is the Star Trek film that had the highest box office gross. It captured the imagination of the public who were eager to see Kirk and the crew in present day (1986) San Francisco. Luckily, the film was solid in all aspects and was enjoyed by long-time fans of the series as well. Although the outcome of the film is never in doubt, it never loses the attention of the viewer and entertains throughout. It actually felt fresh and original despite the fact that time travel had been done before (in the TV series) and it was the fourth film in the franchise. Recommended, 8/10.

Time for some colorful metaphors...

Author: gazzo-2 from United States
20 October 1999

This one is great-I remember laughing my butt off the first time I saw it, and it still works now. Very well done, the time travel angle was better handled here then it has been in other Trek films, shows, etc.-and one thing that makes this work is that they didn't take themselves too seriously. What a romp! The crew come back to save the whales so they can save themselves in the future-and make some commentary on 1986, too.

Personally I donno if this is the best of the run-Undiscovered Country and Khan are its main competition-but I applaud them for doing this; and hope they can lighten up the newer generation too now. It is needed.

*** outta ****, good stuff.

A Vivid, Upbeat, Frequently Intelligent and Delightful Sci-Fi Adventure

Author: silverscreen888
15 June 2005

The fourth entry in the "Star Trek" movie series is the most popular and unarguably the best-liked of these entertaining movies. It has a fine variety of scenes, intelligent comedy to leaven the more serious adventures. it is fast paced, beautifully directed by Leonard Nimoy who also plays "Spock". What prevented it from being even better perhaps appreciated is a deliberate attempt by the writers to write short, choppy-sentence dialogue that in some scenes does not work as well as more formally-structured words might have worked. The film is bright, the art direction is very good, the music by Leonard Rosenmann is outstanding. And the story line is one of the best that sci-fi filmmakers have yet devised, in my judgment, because it has everything. As Captain James T. Kirk of the 23rd century starship Enterprise, William Shatner acts with unusual intelligence and even strength to get by. As his half-alien First Officer Spock, just recovering from a traumatic experience that caused him to have to be reeducated from ground zero, Leonard Nimoy is even better. Everyone of Jim Kirk's crewmen, including James Doohan as Engineer Montgomer Scott, De Forest Kelley as CMO Leonard McCoy, Nichelle Nichols as Lt. Uhura of Communications, talented George Takei as Helmsman Sulu, and Walter Koenig as Navigator Pavel Chekhov, have good scenes to perform and do them seamlessly and with professional style. Others in the cast including Brock Peters, Jane Wyatt, Mark Lenard, Grace Lee Whitney, Alen Henteloff, Robert Ellenstein and a relative unknown as the earthwoman who becomes enmeshed in the Enterprise officers' mission,are given telling moments. There are many memorable visual moments, including the departure of a stolen Klingon warbird from the planet Vulcan, the near-wreckage of Starfleet Headquarters, the landing of an invisible vessel in Golden Gate Park, a slingshot run around the sun, a descent from the invisible craft to the ground, scenes around the Alameda Navy Yards, a chase in a hospital and scenes at the cetacean Institute all make themselves hard-to-forget. It is the sheer fun and adventure of the storyline--sending a starship back in time to rescue two hump-backed whales and save the earth from alien destruction--that sets this film apart. Ignored by critics who have nearly always ignored sci-fi achievements, this cinematic attainment set a standard for future sci-fi to which hardly any film's maker has yet approached. The revelation of character could have been deeper, but the relevance of every moment to the plot line could hardly have been bettered. Harve Bennett deserves some of the credit for this script's excellences; so do the special-effects creators, since for once in Hollywood, every such effects serve to further the progress the central character and his helpers are making. This is probably a film to be watched over and over; I wish there were more such adult sci-fi efforts that eschew pretension and present so much intelligent dialogue, acting and intriguing "differences".

Anti-Trek Film

Author: Alasdair_Wilkins from United States
8 August 2002

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home is my favorite Trek movie but one that I say is off-limits when my friends and I discuss which Trek is the best. Quite simply, this movie is not really a Star Trek movie; Star Trek II and III are far better examples of the genre. Of course, that is what makes Star Trek IV such a fantastic movie; it's crazy and hilarious. This movie is also probably the best one for a family to see other than Insurrection, which is a weaker film anyway. The movie does have more profanity than usual, but it is dealt in such a comedic fashion that it is excusable (the whole colorful metaphors thing always makes me laugh). This is a movie that you could put a very mixed crowd in front of and enjoy; you don't have to love Star Trek to love this movie. This movie is also great because the acting has improved immeasurably since the hammy days of Star Trek: The Original Series and Star Trek - The Motion Picture but everyone has not gone decidedly gray yet. This movie might be looked upon best as a spoof of the genre, but it is not Spaceballs. What this is is a wonderful movie with some great comedy but still some great science fiction ideas (particularly the probe, which is one of the more chilling things I have ever seen in a movie). This was the first Star Trek movie I saw as a child, and it was only until years later that I watched the others. If you have children and want them to introduce them to Star Trek, this is the perfect way. It was for me.

3.5/4 stars

Science Fiction without violence.......To Boldly Go Where No Man Has gone before !!!

Author: elroy_geronimo from Holland
26 December 2002

In spite of it's many critics, I think it's one of the best Star Trek-films with the original cast. Star Trek has always been about exploring new frontiers. There are some who complain there's no violence in the film, something I think is a plus in this movie (It was one of those new frontiers to try and do without). Wasn't it creator Roddenberry who believed that we the people from earth will one day come together as one to live in peace and harmony so we could face the perils of alien races and outer space ? The second thing that makes this a memorable film is that Leonard Nimoy tries to get us narcissistic humanoids of the idea that all intelligent life in space will in some way resemble us. Well I guess the people who choose to believe that are the ones that think we are the most or even the only intelligent life on earth, because we can create.......Well I'm not one of them simply because we are also the only living beings on this earth which destroy and what's so intelligent about that ?? So critics if the above mentioned pre-conceptions on life are yours I understand where you're coming from (and pity you) but please do not criticize this movie for being the odd one out it was meant to be.............

Silly but Trek at it's best!

Author: Mel J from Dundee, Scotland
16 April 2006

'Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home' is the most popular of the Trek films and quite right too. Not only does it appeal to both fans and non-fans of the show but it revels in the spirit of what Trek has always been about: how perfect and Utopian the citizens of the twenty-third century are compared to their Neanderthal ancestors of the late twentieth century!

The film sees Kirk and his crew, in disgrace after disobeying Starfleet orders to save Spock following the events of 'Star Trek III: The Search for Spock', travel to 1986 San Francisco to retrieve a pair of hump-back whales, a species extinct by Kirk's era. The whales are the key to communicating with an alien probe that is in the process of destroying Earth. As well as the non-too-subtle eco-message ('don't allow any animal be hunted to extinction as they may save us all in the future!'), there is much fun to be had as Kirk, McCoy, Uhura, Sulu, Scotty and the ever-logical Spock struggle to integrate themselves into most alien situation they have ever been in. They are clueless about exact-change buses, pizzas and why 1986 doctors think it's a good idea to drill into someone's head.

It is very light-hearted at times but I imagine this is the film Gene Roddenberry is most proud of given the way it portrays the best of all our favourite characters and reaches the heart of the ethos of 'Star Trek'. When I first watched this as a child, I wished Kirk would come and let me join him in the twenty-third century. In fact, the only thing that could improve this film would be if the probe had aimed its venegeance entirely at Japan and Norway in retaliation for the sins of these countries' backward twenty-first century 'ancestors'. After all, it's these two countries who will surely bring about the extinction of whales.

While this doesn't delve too much into the mythology and background of Trek, it is a great film and deserves to be counted as the best of the ten films. It is also an excellent option for Trek fans trying to convert friends and family to 'seeing the light' and loving Trek!

Save the whales while you still can!

Author: dochamp-2 from Dallas, TX
28 August 2000

I first saw this movie in Orlando, Florida right after Navy boot camp. Ironic that I ended up serving on board USS Enterprise CVN-65 as a nuclear machinist. Their depiction of the engine room was pretty good, but I can tell you that there are no German shepherds running around and the nuclear reactor doesn't have a nice window looking into lava-land.

Another neat thing was the Pontiac Fieros you see driving through San Francisco. Don't see that much any more - but I still got one! And how can you go wrong with time travel? So many great one-liners too! All in all, Star Trek IV is my favorite Star Trek movie; it was very timely when it came out. It combines the revival of Spock with saving the whales and demotion of Kirk from Admiral to Captain. I think when Star Trek first came out, it was Hollywood's way of dealing with the Cold War. It placed Russians side by side with Americans on the same ship, thus showing that we could all get along - with or without a greater enemy. After the tremendous success of Star Trek due to its love of high tech space exploration, I think we forget that original message. It jeers back at us in this movie when Chekov asks the San Francisco police officer where the naval nuclear "wessels" are. And the policeman just stands there in disbelief - as if the Russians can't afford to train their spies in proper English. Kudos to Star Trek IV for bringing us full circle!

Page 1 of 22:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]