IMDb > Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 1 of 23:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Hugely enjoyable!

Author: NiceGuyTommy from Bristol, England
21 February 2005

First off, I'm not a big BIG 'Star Trek' fan. I've seen the first six films, and catch an episode of the TV series every now and then (I saw the whole first season recently, which made me re-visit the Shatner/Nimoy films). I did however, find this film extremely entertaining! In fact, it was about as much fun as I think you can have at home with a (tasteful) video! I found 'Star Trek: The Motion Picture' a tad dull, although I still enjoyed it. And II and III work well together, and are both enjoyable sci-fi action flicks ('Wrath of Khan' is another classic, but I feel IV pips it to the post). However, when 'The Voyage Home' was over, I had no idea that a film with a plot which involved two humpback whales and mid-1980s San Fransico could be so damn fun.

Shatner is on great form as the rogue Capt. Kirk, and Nimoy is brilliant in conveying Spocks absolute confusion at being stuck on a planet he partly understands, in a time he cannot comprehend. When Kirk explains Spocks oddness to the brilliant and frankly underused actress Catherine Hicks, Kirk says that Spock did a lot of "LDS" back in college.

Kelley, Takei and company are all on fine form, and the score, direction and script all work brilliantly. The fact that the 1980s now seems so long ago (it after all, did not age as well as some decades) only adds to the films premise.

I would thoroughly recommend this film to anyone - 'Star Trek' fan or not - as it is a wonderfully entertaining film for all ages. I'm sure wherever Gene Roddenberry is, he looks back on this film venture with a wry smile and a bag of popcorn.

There be whales here.

Author: bigwig_thalyi from United Kingdom
25 July 2005

An alien probe is heading towards earth causing tidal waves and hurricane winds. The probe is trying to get in touch with humpback whales which no longer exist.In time honoured tradition it is up to James kirk and crew to go back to the 20th century, find some humpback whales,take them home with him and save the day again. This is by far the funniest of all the star trek films due to the fact that it is played totally tongue in cheek and the cast aren't afraid to poke fun at themselves.To the crew it is like visiting an "undiscovered country" and the customs of modern man confuse them totally. Catherine Hicks plays their 20th century contact,joins in the fun and adds to the confusion they are feeling by playing her role totally straight. Some classic scenes include Scotty trying to instruct a computer by talking into the mouse,Dr Mcoys horror when surgeons are about to drill into Chekovs skull and Spocks solution to dealing with an arrogant yob on a bus. However it also has a serious ecological message.If we don't stop destroying our planet then the day could well come when every kind of whale will cease to exit.Some video clips, shown in the scene in the museum,displaying images of men killing whales are disturbing because they are real. Watch this film ,enjoy it, but remember that sometimes fact is more disturbing than fiction. In memory of James Doohan 1920- 2005 RIP.

Star Trek 4: Get Your Whale On Baby

Author: garthbarnes-83945 from United States
27 June 2015

Spoilers Ahead:

OK, now if some giant, black, anal probe looking thing starts tooling around shutting down everything and killing everybody, do you think it might be hostile? If monkey boys can tell their effects on their universe why would this giant suppository be different. Oh, it is full of whales seeking their progeny currently swimming, eating and crapping in the oceans of the past? Whales are always friendly, just ask the seals being thrown back and forth on the discovery channel while killer whales, those saintly creatures, take bites out of them while they scream. What is with these people? Why are all superior creatures, always benign? In THE MOTIONLESS PICTURE, the giant ball of rectum gas apparently did not know scans from weapons; gee, the people who made the Star Trek movies can, if they can anybody could. Give us a break, stop worshiping lower life forms and get some therapy. The plan is we go to the past in this old, beat up, piece of crap bird of prey pick up some whales and 2000 tons of water and try to attain the same speed when we almost all died last time? It wiped out the dilithium crystals in the monkey boy engines? Did the person who wrote this take serious sedating medicines? Is he under ten years old? Is the script written in crayon?

What is with these people? Superior beings in their films that are oblivious to wiping out everything around them. I do not care what monkey boy Spock says, on earth, as you ascend the evolutionary ladder it comes with greater not lesser awareness of the consequences of how your actions effect your environment. Non Sequitur, pointy. Whale Woman is a great teaching tool if you know someone talking like this open the phone book to T for therapist. I cannot type what is going on let's just say she really, really, really likes whales. It started way back here even before DANCES WITH WOLVES, glorifying lower life forms or primitive cultures idealizing them beyond Walt Disney to a psychotic level. These are animals they eat each other OK? They did not descend from heaven in a beam of light, get a grip on yourself, you are scaring us.

Presumeably, the eating, swimming and crapping machines will do what Star Trek people cannot do, tell the anal probe, "hey, do you notice our oceans going into the sky, that kills us retards?; get lost, go eat some mackerel." To people who read these things called books without the really big print and pictures your movies are frightening. Next time you see a pod of hungry killer whales take off your clothes and jump in there, good luck to you. You look like a giant Reuben sandwich to them. Yes, Whale Woman we promise after we feed the billions of starving people and eliminate poverty and suffering; the whales are next on the list, until then take these pills for us. What is hilarious is if other humans were doing this it would be inimical but whales? Oh, they love everybody; listen, GALOOOOO, BALLOOOO that means we love you. Please, you are making us sick. This movie is drop dead funny and I do not mean that in a nice way.

The most popular Star Trek movie

Author: perfectbond
4 February 2003

The Voyage Home is the Star Trek film that had the highest box office gross. It captured the imagination of the public who were eager to see Kirk and the crew in present day (1986) San Francisco. Luckily, the film was solid in all aspects and was enjoyed by long-time fans of the series as well. Although the outcome of the film is never in doubt, it never loses the attention of the viewer and entertains throughout. It actually felt fresh and original despite the fact that time travel had been done before (in the TV series) and it was the fourth film in the franchise. Recommended, 8/10.

A Vivid, Upbeat, Frequently Intelligent and Delightful Sci-Fi Adventure

Author: silverscreen888
15 June 2005

The fourth entry in the "Star Trek" movie series is the most popular and unarguably the best-liked of these entertaining movies. It has a fine variety of scenes, intelligent comedy to leaven the more serious adventures. it is fast paced, beautifully directed by Leonard Nimoy who also plays "Spock". What prevented it from being even better perhaps appreciated is a deliberate attempt by the writers to write short, choppy-sentence dialogue that in some scenes does not work as well as more formally-structured words might have worked. The film is bright, the art direction is very good, the music by Leonard Rosenmann is outstanding. And the story line is one of the best that sci-fi filmmakers have yet devised, in my judgment, because it has everything. As Captain James T. Kirk of the 23rd century starship Enterprise, William Shatner acts with unusual intelligence and even strength to get by. As his half-alien First Officer Spock, just recovering from a traumatic experience that caused him to have to be reeducated from ground zero, Leonard Nimoy is even better. Everyone of Jim Kirk's crewmen, including James Doohan as Engineer Montgomer Scott, De Forest Kelley as CMO Leonard McCoy, Nichelle Nichols as Lt. Uhura of Communications, talented George Takei as Helmsman Sulu, and Walter Koenig as Navigator Pavel Chekhov, have good scenes to perform and do them seamlessly and with professional style. Others in the cast including Brock Peters, Jane Wyatt, Mark Lenard, Grace Lee Whitney, Alen Henteloff, Robert Ellenstein and a relative unknown as the earthwoman who becomes enmeshed in the Enterprise officers' mission,are given telling moments. There are many memorable visual moments, including the departure of a stolen Klingon warbird from the planet Vulcan, the near-wreckage of Starfleet Headquarters, the landing of an invisible vessel in Golden Gate Park, a slingshot run around the sun, a descent from the invisible craft to the ground, scenes around the Alameda Navy Yards, a chase in a hospital and scenes at the cetacean Institute all make themselves hard-to-forget. It is the sheer fun and adventure of the storyline--sending a starship back in time to rescue two hump-backed whales and save the earth from alien destruction--that sets this film apart. Ignored by critics who have nearly always ignored sci-fi achievements, this cinematic attainment set a standard for future sci-fi to which hardly any film's maker has yet approached. The revelation of character could have been deeper, but the relevance of every moment to the plot line could hardly have been bettered. Harve Bennett deserves some of the credit for this script's excellences; so do the special-effects creators, since for once in Hollywood, every such effects serve to further the progress the central character and his helpers are making. This is probably a film to be watched over and over; I wish there were more such adult sci-fi efforts that eschew pretension and present so much intelligent dialogue, acting and intriguing "differences".

Time for some colorful metaphors...

Author: gazzo-2 from United States
20 October 1999

This one is great-I remember laughing my butt off the first time I saw it, and it still works now. Very well done, the time travel angle was better handled here then it has been in other Trek films, shows, etc.-and one thing that makes this work is that they didn't take themselves too seriously. What a romp! The crew come back to save the whales so they can save themselves in the future-and make some commentary on 1986, too.

Personally I donno if this is the best of the run-Undiscovered Country and Khan are its main competition-but I applaud them for doing this; and hope they can lighten up the newer generation too now. It is needed.

*** outta ****, good stuff.

Anti-Trek Film

Author: Alasdair_Wilkins from United States
8 August 2002

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home is my favorite Trek movie but one that I say is off-limits when my friends and I discuss which Trek is the best. Quite simply, this movie is not really a Star Trek movie; Star Trek II and III are far better examples of the genre. Of course, that is what makes Star Trek IV such a fantastic movie; it's crazy and hilarious. This movie is also probably the best one for a family to see other than Insurrection, which is a weaker film anyway. The movie does have more profanity than usual, but it is dealt in such a comedic fashion that it is excusable (the whole colorful metaphors thing always makes me laugh). This is a movie that you could put a very mixed crowd in front of and enjoy; you don't have to love Star Trek to love this movie. This movie is also great because the acting has improved immeasurably since the hammy days of Star Trek: The Original Series and Star Trek - The Motion Picture but everyone has not gone decidedly gray yet. This movie might be looked upon best as a spoof of the genre, but it is not Spaceballs. What this is is a wonderful movie with some great comedy but still some great science fiction ideas (particularly the probe, which is one of the more chilling things I have ever seen in a movie). This was the first Star Trek movie I saw as a child, and it was only until years later that I watched the others. If you have children and want them to introduce them to Star Trek, this is the perfect way. It was for me.

3.5/4 stars

Time travel and whales

Author: Maddyclassicfilms from United Kingdom
15 July 2016

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home is directed by Leonard Nimoy. The film stars William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, Nichelle Nichols, James Doohan, George Takei, Walter Koenig and Catherine Hicks.

Kirk and the crew are returning to Earth to face the consequences of their actions during the third film. A mysterious probe is sending a signal to Earth that is interfering with communications and causing severe storms.

The crew discover the probes signal is the sound of humpback whales, which are sadly extinct in the 23rd century. The crew travel back in time to the 1980's to find some humpback whales, and bring them back to the future so the probe can detect them.

Upon arriving in the past, Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhura, Sulu, Chekov and Scotty must adjust to a chaotic world. Spock (Leonard Nimoy)is struggling to readjust to his life, he is more Vulcan now than he has ever been and this means he doesn't understand human humour as much as he used to, this leads to many hysterical scenes between him and McCoy.

Kirk is helped by whale expert Gillian(Catherine Hicks)and their growing relationship is really sweet to watch.

This is a really funny film, I crack up every time I watch this during Scotty's "hello computer scene" and Chekov's interrogation. McCoy's amused reaction to Spock covering up his pointed ears is priceless and don't even get me started on Kirk's reaction to Spock swimming with whales. McCoy's reaction to 20th century medicine is great too.

The cast are all superb and the film is such good fun.

A perfect, light hearted Sci-Fi Comedy which keeps you entertained for the whole two hours

Author: jmanchak6 from Canada
1 March 2010

WARNING!!! POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!!!!!! "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home" is arguably the greatest Trek. It is the most popular Star Trek film (not including the 2009 reboot). Before the reboot, it was the only Trek to gross over $100 million domestically, plus it was extremely well received by critics and fans alike. It surpassed every expectation that it had set up for itself, simply because it is the funniest and most light hearted Trek.

The best part is the interactions between the characters. Yes, the film was nominated for 4 Oscars (once again, the most of any Trek) including best effects, but the effects aren't the best part. It was the success of this film that convinced Paramount Television to give a spin-off series a shot. As you probably know, TNG, DS9, ST:V, and ST:E were all very successful, and they were the result of a chain reaction which started with the success of "The Voyage Home".

The film also noted Leonard Nimoy as a top-notch comic director. This won him the job of directing "Three Men and a Baby".

If you like Star Trek, this is definitely the film for you. Everyone else? Just research the characters a bit and I'm sure that you'll have a good time.

This film earned its money and its acclaim. It features many classic moments (Spock mind-melding with the whale, Scotty talking to the computer, Kirk using "colourful metaphors" to handle an angry cabbie, Spock using the nerve pinch on a punk on the bus, Kirk and Spock arguing over their preferred foods, and that's just scratching the surface!).

10/10 A Sci-Fi Comedy along the quality of "Ghostbusters", "MIB", and "Back to the Future"! That might be an overstatement, but I think it's true!

This goes to show what you can do with the right people at the helm

Author: ozthegreatat42330 from Central City, Kentucky
11 April 2007

Each of the previous Star Trek films had their moments and they were leading up to this one. With the death and resurrection of Spock, his character was able to become more human. Director Nimoy used this to helm a delightful Trek Episode that was as much fun as the series episode "The Trouble with Tribbles," which was everyone's favorite. This film was allowed to be a lot more general audience friendly as well. The plot was a good one, the script was well written, and there were improvised scenes that helped to move things along quite nicely. I can't help but believe that the Trek movies from here on in would have fared better if Nimoy had continued to direct.

Page 1 of 23:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]