Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986) Poster

Hugely enjoyable!
NiceGuyTommy21 February 2005
First off, I'm not a big BIG 'Star Trek' fan. I've seen the first six films, and catch an episode of the TV series every now and then (I saw the whole first season recently, which made me re-visit the Shatner/Nimoy films). I did however, find this film extremely entertaining! In fact, it was about as much fun as I think you can have at home with a (tasteful) video! I found 'Star Trek: The Motion Picture' a tad dull, although I still enjoyed it. And II and III work well together, and are both enjoyable sci-fi action flicks ('Wrath of Khan' is another classic, but I feel IV pips it to the post). However, when 'The Voyage Home' was over, I had no idea that a film with a plot which involved two humpback whales and mid-1980s San Fransico could be so damn fun.

Shatner is on great form as the rogue Capt. Kirk, and Nimoy is brilliant in conveying Spocks absolute confusion at being stuck on a planet he partly understands, in a time he cannot comprehend. When Kirk explains Spocks oddness to the brilliant and frankly underused actress Catherine Hicks, Kirk says that Spock did a lot of "LDS" back in college.

Kelley, Takei and company are all on fine form, and the score, direction and script all work brilliantly. The fact that the 1980s now seems so long ago (it after all, did not age as well as some decades) only adds to the films premise.

I would thoroughly recommend this film to anyone - 'Star Trek' fan or not - as it is a wonderfully entertaining film for all ages. I'm sure wherever Gene Roddenberry is, he looks back on this film venture with a wry smile and a bag of popcorn.
70 out of 103 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Time travel and whales
Maddyclassicfilms15 July 2016
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home is directed by Leonard Nimoy. The film stars William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, Nichelle Nichols, James Doohan, George Takei, Walter Koenig and Catherine Hicks.

Kirk and the crew are returning to Earth to face the consequences of their actions during the third film. A mysterious probe is sending a signal to Earth that is interfering with communications and causing severe storms.

The crew discover the probes signal is the sound of humpback whales, which are sadly extinct in the 23rd century. The crew travel back in time to the 1980's to find some humpback whales, and bring them back to the future so the probe can detect them.

Upon arriving in the past, Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhura, Sulu, Chekov and Scotty must adjust to a chaotic world. Spock (Leonard Nimoy)is struggling to readjust to his life, he is more Vulcan now than he has ever been and this means he doesn't understand human humour as much as he used to, this leads to many hysterical scenes between him and McCoy.

Kirk is helped by whale expert Gillian(Catherine Hicks)and their growing relationship is really sweet to watch.

This is a really funny film, I crack up every time I watch this during Scotty's "hello computer scene" and Chekov's interrogation. McCoy's amused reaction to Spock covering up his pointed ears is priceless and don't even get me started on Kirk's reaction to Spock swimming with whales. McCoy's reaction to 20th century medicine is great too.

The cast are all superb and the film is such good fun.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
There be whales here.
bigwig_thalyi25 July 2005
An alien probe is heading towards earth causing tidal waves and hurricane winds. The probe is trying to get in touch with humpback whales which no longer exist.In time honoured tradition it is up to James kirk and crew to go back to the 20th century, find some humpback whales,take them home with him and save the day again. This is by far the funniest of all the star trek films due to the fact that it is played totally tongue in cheek and the cast aren't afraid to poke fun at themselves.To the crew it is like visiting an "undiscovered country" and the customs of modern man confuse them totally. Catherine Hicks plays their 20th century contact,joins in the fun and adds to the confusion they are feeling by playing her role totally straight. Some classic scenes include Scotty trying to instruct a computer by talking into the mouse,Dr Mcoys horror when surgeons are about to drill into Chekovs skull and Spocks solution to dealing with an arrogant yob on a bus. However it also has a serious ecological message.If we don't stop destroying our planet then the day could well come when every kind of whale will cease to exit.Some video clips, shown in the scene in the museum,displaying images of men killing whales are disturbing because they are real. Watch this film ,enjoy it, but remember that sometimes fact is more disturbing than fiction. In memory of James Doohan 1920- 2005 RIP.
61 out of 102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The most popular Star Trek movie
perfectbond4 February 2003
The Voyage Home is the Star Trek film that had the highest box office gross. It captured the imagination of the public who were eager to see Kirk and the crew in present day (1986) San Francisco. Luckily, the film was solid in all aspects and was enjoyed by long-time fans of the series as well. Although the outcome of the film is never in doubt, it never loses the attention of the viewer and entertains throughout. It actually felt fresh and original despite the fact that time travel had been done before (in the TV series) and it was the fourth film in the franchise. Recommended, 8/10.
45 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Vivid, Upbeat, Frequently Intelligent and Delightful Sci-Fi Adventure
silverscreen88815 June 2005
The fourth entry in the "Star Trek" movie series is the most popular and unarguably the best-liked of these entertaining movies. It has a fine variety of scenes, intelligent comedy to leaven the more serious adventures. it is fast paced, beautifully directed by Leonard Nimoy who also plays "Spock". What prevented it from being even better perhaps appreciated is a deliberate attempt by the writers to write short, choppy-sentence dialogue that in some scenes does not work as well as more formally-structured words might have worked. The film is bright, the art direction is very good, the music by Leonard Rosenmann is outstanding. And the story line is one of the best that sci-fi filmmakers have yet devised, in my judgment, because it has everything. As Captain James T. Kirk of the 23rd century starship Enterprise, William Shatner acts with unusual intelligence and even strength to get by. As his half-alien First Officer Spock, just recovering from a traumatic experience that caused him to have to be reeducated from ground zero, Leonard Nimoy is even better. Everyone of Jim Kirk's crewmen, including James Doohan as Engineer Montgomer Scott, De Forest Kelley as CMO Leonard McCoy, Nichelle Nichols as Lt. Uhura of Communications, talented George Takei as Helmsman Sulu, and Walter Koenig as Navigator Pavel Chekhov, have good scenes to perform and do them seamlessly and with professional style. Others in the cast including Brock Peters, Jane Wyatt, Mark Lenard, Grace Lee Whitney, Alen Henteloff, Robert Ellenstein and a relative unknown as the earthwoman who becomes enmeshed in the Enterprise officers' mission,are given telling moments. There are many memorable visual moments, including the departure of a stolen Klingon warbird from the planet Vulcan, the near-wreckage of Starfleet Headquarters, the landing of an invisible vessel in Golden Gate Park, a slingshot run around the sun, a descent from the invisible craft to the ground, scenes around the Alameda Navy Yards, a chase in a hospital and scenes at the cetacean Institute all make themselves hard-to-forget. It is the sheer fun and adventure of the storyline--sending a starship back in time to rescue two hump-backed whales and save the earth from alien destruction--that sets this film apart. Ignored by critics who have nearly always ignored sci-fi achievements, this cinematic attainment set a standard for future sci-fi to which hardly any film's maker has yet approached. The revelation of character could have been deeper, but the relevance of every moment to the plot line could hardly have been bettered. Harve Bennett deserves some of the credit for this script's excellences; so do the special-effects creators, since for once in Hollywood, every such effects serve to further the progress the central character and his helpers are making. This is probably a film to be watched over and over; I wish there were more such adult sci-fi efforts that eschew pretension and present so much intelligent dialogue, acting and intriguing "differences".
47 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Anti-Trek Film
Alasdair_Wilkins8 August 2002
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home is my favorite Trek movie but one that I say is off-limits when my friends and I discuss which Trek is the best. Quite simply, this movie is not really a Star Trek movie; Star Trek II and III are far better examples of the genre. Of course, that is what makes Star Trek IV such a fantastic movie; it's crazy and hilarious. This movie is also probably the best one for a family to see other than Insurrection, which is a weaker film anyway. The movie does have more profanity than usual, but it is dealt in such a comedic fashion that it is excusable (the whole colorful metaphors thing always makes me laugh). This is a movie that you could put a very mixed crowd in front of and enjoy; you don't have to love Star Trek to love this movie. This movie is also great because the acting has improved immeasurably since the hammy days of Star Trek: The Original Series and Star Trek - The Motion Picture but everyone has not gone decidedly gray yet. This movie might be looked upon best as a spoof of the genre, but it is not Spaceballs. What this is is a wonderful movie with some great comedy but still some great science fiction ideas (particularly the probe, which is one of the more chilling things I have ever seen in a movie). This was the first Star Trek movie I saw as a child, and it was only until years later that I watched the others. If you have children and want them to introduce them to Star Trek, this is the perfect way. It was for me.

3.5/4 stars
36 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Time for some colorful metaphors...
gazzo-220 October 1999
This one is great-I remember laughing my butt off the first time I saw it, and it still works now. Very well done, the time travel angle was better handled here then it has been in other Trek films, shows, etc.-and one thing that makes this work is that they didn't take themselves too seriously. What a romp! The crew come back to save the whales so they can save themselves in the future-and make some commentary on 1986, too.

Personally I donno if this is the best of the run-Undiscovered Country and Khan are its main competition-but I applaud them for doing this; and hope they can lighten up the newer generation too now. It is needed.

*** outta ****, good stuff.
36 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A perfect, light hearted Sci-Fi Comedy which keeps you entertained for the whole two hours
jmanchak61 March 2010
WARNING!!! POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!!!!!! "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home" is arguably the greatest Trek. It is the most popular Star Trek film (not including the 2009 reboot). Before the reboot, it was the only Trek to gross over $100 million domestically, plus it was extremely well received by critics and fans alike. It surpassed every expectation that it had set up for itself, simply because it is the funniest and most light hearted Trek.

The best part is the interactions between the characters. Yes, the film was nominated for 4 Oscars (once again, the most of any Trek) including best effects, but the effects aren't the best part. It was the success of this film that convinced Paramount Television to give a spin-off series a shot. As you probably know, TNG, DS9, ST:V, and ST:E were all very successful, and they were the result of a chain reaction which started with the success of "The Voyage Home".

The film also noted Leonard Nimoy as a top-notch comic director. This won him the job of directing "Three Men and a Baby".

If you like Star Trek, this is definitely the film for you. Everyone else? Just research the characters a bit and I'm sure that you'll have a good time.

This film earned its money and its acclaim. It features many classic moments (Spock mind-melding with the whale, Scotty talking to the computer, Kirk using "colourful metaphors" to handle an angry cabbie, Spock using the nerve pinch on a punk on the bus, Kirk and Spock arguing over their preferred foods, and that's just scratching the surface!).

10/10 A Sci-Fi Comedy along the quality of "Ghostbusters", "MIB", and "Back to the Future"! That might be an overstatement, but I think it's true!
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Silly but Trek at it's best!
Mel J16 April 2006
'Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home' is the most popular of the Trek films and quite right too. Not only does it appeal to both fans and non-fans of the show but it revels in the spirit of what Trek has always been about: how perfect and Utopian the citizens of the twenty-third century are compared to their Neanderthal ancestors of the late twentieth century!

The film sees Kirk and his crew, in disgrace after disobeying Starfleet orders to save Spock following the events of 'Star Trek III: The Search for Spock', travel to 1986 San Francisco to retrieve a pair of hump-back whales, a species extinct by Kirk's era. The whales are the key to communicating with an alien probe that is in the process of destroying Earth. As well as the non-too-subtle eco-message ('don't allow any animal be hunted to extinction as they may save us all in the future!'), there is much fun to be had as Kirk, McCoy, Uhura, Sulu, Scotty and the ever-logical Spock struggle to integrate themselves into most alien situation they have ever been in. They are clueless about exact-change buses, pizzas and why 1986 doctors think it's a good idea to drill into someone's head.

It is very light-hearted at times but I imagine this is the film Gene Roddenberry is most proud of given the way it portrays the best of all our favourite characters and reaches the heart of the ethos of 'Star Trek'. When I first watched this as a child, I wished Kirk would come and let me join him in the twenty-third century. In fact, the only thing that could improve this film would be if the probe had aimed its venegeance entirely at Japan and Norway in retaliation for the sins of these countries' backward twenty-first century 'ancestors'. After all, it's these two countries who will surely bring about the extinction of whales.

While this doesn't delve too much into the mythology and background of Trek, it is a great film and deserves to be counted as the best of the ten films. It is also an excellent option for Trek fans trying to convert friends and family to 'seeing the light' and loving Trek!
35 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
mattkratz14 March 2001
I liked this movie. It is my favorite Star Trek film. The blend of scifi and comedy works.

Ever been shocked if you visit another country and have to adapt to its culture? Try visiting another time period! That's what Kirk and company do, as they visit 20th century America to retrieve a pair of humpback whales to ward off an alien probe, and you will love their (mis)adventures as they adapt.

*** out of ****
18 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Admiral, There Be Whales Here!
Rainey Dawn6 November 2016
I just recently re-watched this one after a long time of no-see and I will say it's still as funny today as it was in 1986! Spock trying to use colorful language, Scotty's "hello computer", Chekhov's problems with the police - on and on... a very unforgettable Star Trek film and still on of my all time favorite movies.

This film involves a probe that shuts things down in the 23rd century - threatening all existence... it simply wants to communicate with whales but there are no whales in the 23rd due to human whale hunting. It's up to Kirk and crew to devise a plan to go back in time in order to obtain a male and a female whale to save life in the 23rd century.

First time viewers: This movie you really don't have to watch parts 1, 2 and 3 to know what's going on in part 4 but I do recommend watching parts 2 and 3 so you will understand the beginning of the film and what's going on with Mr. Spock a lot better.

A fun, fun movie!! 10/10
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Eric-6229 April 1999
This movie marked the death of quality in Star Trek, and as far as I'm concerned it still hasn't recovered thirteen years and five movies and three more television series later. So much promise existed after the wonderful movie that was "Star Trek II" and it was all thrown away first in Trek III (a very ridiculous story designed to get Spock alive again and undo what made II so poignant) and then in this film where all sense of serious storytelling is thrown out the window for some silly laughs mixed in with discourses of political correctness about whales. On top of that, consistency is thrown out the window with a number of plot holes and illogical developments that don't mesh with what was established in the last two films and even worse James Horner's wonderful music is replaced further lending to the sense of inconsistency.

This marked the end of my love of Star Trek. Fortunately I'll always have the original series and the second movie to go back to.
22 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Star Trek with a sense of humor!
MartinHafer15 July 2006
My wife loved this movie and I did enjoy it more than most Star Trek films. This surprised me a little bit because the ads for the film made it look like a film made by Green Peace or PETA--with its emphasis in going back in time to rescue some whales. However, while this was part of the plot, the journey there was so much fun that it didn't seem preachy.

The important crew members (you know, the ones you knew couldn't die when they went on landing parties in the old show) take a stolen cloaked (i.e., invisible) ship back in time to the 1980s to bring back some whales to save the Earth of the future. Some odd probe arrived over the planet and began sending messages to the Humpback whales but since they'd all been wiped out, the probe began destroying everything). Once they arrive, they try with little success to blend it. Spock tries cursing a lot because he'd read that the 80s were a rather coarse time, McCoy starts effecting miracle cures in the hospital he visits, and Chekov, with his Russian accent, gets busted when he begins asking where he can find the "Nuclead Wessels (vessels)". It's all great trivial fun. Not the deepest movie, but the trip was so much fun who cares?
13 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Silly but fun and even more enjoyable after the straight-laced part 3.
bob the moo18 January 2004
Still on the Vulcan planet awaiting repairs to their captured Klingon ship, Kirk and his crew are summoned to earth by the Federation to stand trial for making Star Trek 3 so very dull. However a deep space probe is approaching earth sending out a communication signal that is disrupting power and damaging the whole planet. When they find that the signal relates to the now extinct humpback whale, Kirk decides to travel back in time to the 1980's to recover and bring back a whale.

Part 2 of the series is easily my favourite to this day of the Star Trek movies, so part 3 was a major problem, being so very dull and heavy, but part 4 was an improvement simply because it was so much more light hearted and fun. The plot is potentially very silly and a barely hidden ecological subtext that threatens to sink the film, but it is delivered with tongue in cheek and it is that saves it. The mocking humour is gentle and really carries the film as fish-out-of-water gags abound and the contrast between the crew and their surroundings is used well.

While the plot is nonsense, the cast all enjoy themselves in whatever roles the script gives them. Shatner has the biggest role of course but has the least fun as he has to carry the unlikely love interest. Nimoy is good fun despite having a follow on from the last film that is a little heavy and he does a steady job as director. The rest of the crew have small roles but each is funny - whether it's Chekov appearing to be a communist spy, McCoy berating modern doctors as the Spanish inquisition and Sulu happily flying helicopters for some reason.

Overall this is not the best Star Trek film as it lacks any real action, excitement or tension, but what it lacks in this area it makes up for in terms of gentle laughs. Looking at it alone it is only reasonable but after watching the dull `Search for Spock' this is a fun relief.
13 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This goes to show what you can do with the right people at the helm
ozthegreatat4233011 April 2007
Each of the previous Star Trek films had their moments and they were leading up to this one. With the death and resurrection of Spock, his character was able to become more human. Director Nimoy used this to helm a delightful Trek Episode that was as much fun as the series episode "The Trouble with Tribbles," which was everyone's favorite. This film was allowed to be a lot more general audience friendly as well. The plot was a good one, the script was well written, and there were improvised scenes that helped to move things along quite nicely. I can't help but believe that the Trek movies from here on in would have fared better if Nimoy had continued to direct.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great Comedy and well deserved rest away from the drama.
jed-estes28 August 2006
This film is comedy at it's best. Who ever came up with the idea of sending the Enterprise crew into the past is a genius and should be hugged because as far as I am concerned Star Trek is lacking comedy. At the time of this film's release comedy was somewhat uncharted territory for the persons involved with Trek. At this point there been three comedic episodes in the original series produced and they were Mudd's Women, I Mudd, and the legendary The Trouble with Tribbles episode. Everything else in the saga had been drama based and sometimes dull if it was androgenic , which fortunately Star Trek did deliver most of the time on there drama based episodes it just became rhetoric and in need of change. And change is what this film is. It takes all the heated battles and death from the previous three films and says lets take a brake and laugh. The most comedic element of this film is when Chekov goes around asking random people to take him to the Nuclear Weesle's, comedy gold is what that scene is. I laugh every time I think about it. The whole plot with the whales is cool and makes sense in the grand scheme of the Trek universe. I wish more Trek movies and episodes would go in to this territory of comedy. There is always the chuckle here and there from the light hearted banter of the ships crew, but rarely in any of the follow up shows have the went for the jugular on comedy. If Star Trek would do this I think it would draw in new crowds and we would not have to worry about J. J Abrahams ruining this beloved franchise that has forty years of history. Watch this movie and laugh.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Misunderstood film
ae764110 January 2005
I believe "The Voyage Home" is among the greatest Star Trek films, but it has been misunderstood. Although it seemed light and humorous, it was a serious film. But serious like "Dr.Strangelove" which was funny only to make the comment that the arms race and the situation the world was in was ridiculous and insane and so the film lampooned it. Star Trek Voyage Home also was done in a similar way and made the point that man's destruction of life and the greed and selfishness of the 80's was ridiculous and insane. The enemy here is man's greed and selfishness and it is defeated not by phasers but by the crew's sticking together. The film made points about unnecessary curse words in public and print and that our behavior makes us more like primitive barbarians--even with our technology that is laughable to the people of two hundred years from now. You should not compare the film to others but look at it for what it is. Even on the series, the episodes varied in subject and approach.

Beneath the humor, there is a great film.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Lighter Side of TREK is GREAT Fun...
Ben Burgraff (cariart)26 November 2003
Gene Roddenberry's original Star Trek 'family' fully expected that Paramount would 'pull the plug' and end their series of films after STAR TREK III: THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK. After all, Spock had died and been reborn, Kirk and the crew were fugitives from the Federation, and the Enterprise itself had been destroyed, with the cast, now the proud owners of a Klingon 'Bird of Prey', staying with Spock's parents, Sarek and Amanda, on Vulcan. Pretty heady stuff for a franchise considered past it's prime, and as the studio seemed to be focusing it's attention on the upcoming 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' television series, which would introduce a younger cast, there was a general feeling that the aging veterans of the first series, now all in their fifties and sixties (with the exception of George Takei, a 'kid' of 46) were overdue to be 'put out to pasture'.

But producer Harve Bennett and Leonard Nimoy had an idea for a 'Trek' film that would be 'hip', lighter-hearted, could 'tie up' the loose ends of the series, and, as the film would be set largely in the 20th century, be both inexpensive to make, and 'audience friendly'. "Inexpensive" was always the key word for Paramount's 'brass', particularly concerning 'Star Trek', and after Bennett and Nimoy made the rounds pitching their script outline, and Nimoy agreed to direct, the project was green-lighted.

The story is simple and straightforward; returning to Earth in the 'Bird of Prey' to face charges for hijacking the Enterprise, and destroying it, Kirk and crew discover that the planet is 'under attack' from a gigantic tube-like object, emitting weird sounds and laser-like beams that are playing havoc on the weather, world-wide. Spock determines that the sounds are the language of humpback whales, a species extinct in the 23rd century, so our heroes slingshot the spaceship back in time to the 20th century, in an attempt to capture a pair of the whales, and bring them 'back to the future'.

As the Klingon ship has a cloaking device that can render it invisible (a wonderful invention that helped keep the FX budget down!), it is easy to 'hide' the spacecraft in a park in mid-eighties San Francisco, and the crew, after a funny sequence strolling the streets of the city, are divided into teams, with Kirk and Spock to procure the whales, McCoy and Scotty to build a tank to house them, Sulu to find a means of getting the tank to the ship, and Uhura and Chekov to siphon off some nuclear fuel (from the U.S.S. Enterprise, no less!) to help power the ship back to the 23rd century. Each team has their own mini-adventure (Kirk and Spock meet whale expert Dr. Gillian Taylor, played by perky Catherine Hicks, who, eventually, insists on accompanying the whales to the future, while sweetly shrugging off Kirk's passes; Scotty has to 'invent' the glass for the tank, potentially rewriting the future; Sulu is like a kid, flying an antique helicopter; and Chekov gets captured, then injured...Chekov is ALWAYS getting injured in the 'Trek' films!...providing McCoy a chance to perform some 'miracles' and criticize 20th century medicine). These vignettes are wonderful, and remind one of what terrific actors the original crew of the Enterprise were.

The Earth is, of course, saved, Kirk is busted from Admiral back to Captain (the rank he was best suited for), Dr. Taylor informs him she's too busy to date (Kirk strikes out???), and the crew is assigned to a new starship...named Enterprise, naturally!

STAR TREK IV, the most popular and successful 'Trek' movie yet made, would have been a fitting conclusion to the adventures of the original cast, but William Shatner, as part of his contract, was promised a writing credit and the director's chair for the next 'Trek' film...
9 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Too jarring for my taste
funnygy24 March 2006
Many people, both "Trek" fans and the general public, consider "The Voyage Home" to be the best "Star Trek" film with the original cast, if not the best "Trek" film period. I disagree. However, I do not feel that "Voyage Home" is necessarily a bad film; merely that I did not enjoy it.

There's something about playing the "Trek" set-up for laughs that just doesn't sit well with me. I agree that "The Search for Spock" bordered on space opera and that many critics found that film too serious, but IMHO the producers went too far in the opposite direction for the follow-up. I don't see what is gained by putting these characters in a present-day setting. This "fish out of water" premise worked on the TV series (particularly in "The City On the Edge of Forever"), but it wears thin on such a grand scale. I found the most interesting character in the piece to be Gillian, the scientist who cares more for the whales than anything else. She could be seen as an analogy for those of us who hope that the future will bring a civilization in which the quest for money is not our primary concern.

Further, many feel that the true appeal of the original series was the interplay between the characters of Kirk, Spock and McCoy; so it makes sense that the producers would try to mine the possibilities of having Kirk try to explain 20th Century Earthling behavior to Spock as they go along on their bizarre journey. But to me, this just doesn't ring true.

It has been said of science fiction that it concentrates too much on technology and effects and too little on character. Perhaps the producers of this entry were trying to change that with this one. But to this viewer, the experiment just didn't work. I have no qualms with those who like the film, I'm just saying I don't.
10 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sci-fi or comedy
midnight_lamp15 December 2002
I do not like this film. Although it is the most successful and popular Star Trek film, the story is very dull and slow. The comedy in the movie was not only annoying, but rather unfunny. I don't know to look for this movie under sci-fi or comedy when I'm at the video store. The music is very bad and aggrivating, because it is just way to cheerful (considering Earth is facing total destruction). The character of Gillian is very useless in trying to establish a love story. I can't stress just how bad I though this movie was. But even though this is truly a bad movie, Star Trek V:The Final Frontier is even worse.
8 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Who would have thought the best Star Trek film would be the one with a sense of humor?
I B21 August 2010
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home is a delightful film. A large alien probe threatens the Earth, and the officers of the USS Enterprise have to travel back in time in order to save the day. In my opinion the special effects, by Industrial Light & Magic, were the best yet for a Star Trek film. Leonard Nimoy's direction is a definite benefit. While the story is quite simple the dialogue and character interactions are witty and entertaining. The scenes where the officers make their way in the San Francisco of the past were a joy to watch. It's clear that the actors were having a good time during filming. The Voyage Home is notable for being the first film to raise the issue of whale hunting. Whales, like many other species, have been hunted to near extinction by man. This important message is clearly expressed in the film. If that weren't enough there's also a fitting ending. The Voyage Home is entertaining and thought-provoking, one of the very best Star Trek films (I think it's the best). Discussions about interstellar politics are almost absent here. I highly recommend seeing it.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
'Star Trek' can't get any better!
Christopher Smith17 June 2001
This is without question the best STAR TREK movie in the series. It is full of great special effects, clever dialogue, sharp humor, and absolutely dazzling action sequences. It is the most fun to watch out of all the STAR TREK movies and is the most creative of them too. This is was easily one of the best movies of 1986.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
amazing movie, and I think the best one.
neighborlee11 May 2008
This movies exemplifies not only the virtues as a society we need to embrace ( moving to non-monetary society, and protecting animals, instead of exploiting them ) , but it also enlists comedy to help drive home the point that our society is headed in the wrong direction.

This is the one movie that I would refer friends and first time trek fans ( any non trek fans left ? ) to as it embraces everything that 'starfleet' stands for, and in the real world that is a good thing.

When we live in a world where basic needs of health and happiness are met [ we all need to adjust ], and teach our children to respect animals not hunt them, as only then will we find our true humanity, the one path God set us on in the beginning, and I think this movie does a wonderful job of illustrating that with just a touch of humor thrown in for humility .

This movie encapsulates everything a passionate society stands for as it allows us to embrace the Heartseed , a non-violent coexistent stance with our world.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not really Star Trek at all
Les9 February 2006
This film was a bigger disappointment than Star Trek the Motionless picture. It was more like Police Academy than anything out of the ST universe. Everything about it was too silly for words. Firstly an alien race turns up and on failing to contact whales for some reason not explained they shrug their shoulders, if they have any, and decide to boil Earths oceans away! From that point the film only gets worse as the crew camp it up around a Los Angeles that seems to have taken loss of its senses! Ridiculous. I nearly walked out before the end! However I did persevere to the final titles seeking some valid conclusion to the plot , in vain. I will concede that this film has some great humour in it possibly to the detriment of the plot but to me its still the worst StarTrek movie of them all. Sorry!
7 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this