IMDb > A Room with a View (1985) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 8 of 10: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Dazzling Comedy of Manners

Author: DizzyDitz from California
2 March 2002

A room with a view is a tale of passion hidden as a comedy of manners. Helena Bonham-Carter is gorgeous as Lucy, a constrained English girl who is vacationing in Italy, closely guarded by her pathetically uppity elder cousin Charlotte. Everything is dazzling in this film from the sumptuous Italian setting to classical music to the Victorian costumes(and Helena Bonham-Carter's hair). The characters are all hilarious in their individual parts, but Daniel Day-Lewis absolutely steals the show with his portrayal of Cecil Vyse, an insufferably narcissistic gentleman of birth and breeding.

The film can best be summarized by the Rev. Mr. Beebe's comment, that if Ms. Honeychurch ever takes to living as she plays[the piano], "it will be very exciting". Like a work of Beethoven among music is "A Room with a View" among movies. Please watch.

My Favorite Movie

Author: msparry from New York, USA
21 February 2002

If I HAD to pick my favorite movie, this would be it: great social commentary, subtle & not so subtle wit, beautiful scenery and set design, fantastic music, and last, but not least, great ensemble acting.

Take A Back Room to A Room With A View **1/2

Author: edwagreen from United States
15 February 2012

You don't need much room to view this disappointing 1985 film. The problem is that with the exception of Maggie Smith, who gives new meaning to spinsterhood, the characters are unbelievable in this brooding Merchant-Ivory piece set in the Victorian era.

Daniel Day-Lewis comes off as a fop or dandy; even though he is engaged to Helena Bonham Carter here. She finds true love in Italy and it follows her back home in England.

The film often drags The scene with the naked men was funny but the result was highly predictable.

The men in particular are really off the wall in this film.

Classic Helena Bonham Carter

Author: copperncherrio from United States
13 March 2011

I've really been in a bit of a crack of Helena Bonham Carter period pieces lately. Howard's End, Wings of a Dove (or something like that) and Room with a View have been surprising and put me into an overlapping Emma Thompson niche as well. I may be regressing to my younger days, when small period dramas where a thrill. When intimate relations was defined by being alone with a man or when social taboo was a simple kiss.

I use to despise such period pieces until I watched Gosford Park and Quills (though not in one sitting). So when watching this film, I guess I was just looking for good old drama with semi-insightful dialogue. This film is for gals who enjoy chick flicks in unrequited shame. I also revel in how thick Helena's eyebrows are.

Well, for a period piece there is a handful of good (if not great) actors, as well as good conversation in the realm of love.

Another visually stunning film from Merchant Ivory

Author: Maddyclassicfilms from United Kingdom
3 July 2008

A Room With A View is directed by James Ivory, is based on the novel by E.M Forster, has a screenplay by Ruth Prawer Jhabvala and stars Helena Bonham Carter, Julian Sands, Denholm Elliott, Maggie Smith, Judi Dench, Daniel Day-Lewis and Simon Callow.

This is another must see film by Merchant Ivory filled with memorable characters, beautiful costumes and spectacular locations.

Lucy Honeychurch(Helena Bonham Carter)is on holiday with her cousin Charlotte(Maggie Smith)in Italy.She finds herself growing up and becoming much less sheltered as she immerses herself in the beauty and history of Rome.

Lucy meets and falls in love with George Emmerson(Julian Sands).George loves life and he and his kind father(Denholm Elliott)don't believe in religion, they believe you should live life how you wish and do what you feel.

Charlotte puts a stop to their relationship and Lucy returns to England and becomes engaged to the stuck up Cecil (Daniel Day-Lewis).It seems that they will be married until George shows up with his father and they move into a nearby house. Lucy must choose between the two men and decide who she wants to be with.

The entire cast are excellent with Helena deserving special praise for her performance as Lucy. There's fine comic support from Simon Callow as the Reverend Beebe and Judi Dench as Eleanor Lavish a scandalous writer.

A Timeless Masterpiece

Author: Tanu from Canada
8 August 2005

"A Room with a View" has a kind of dream-like fairy tale quality to it. It's romantic and funny while still working within the framework of a drama. This is NOT an Edwardian Julia Roberts/Meg Ryan movie. Neither is it a historical melodrama. While probably earning the title of 'chick flick', this certainly doesn't feel like one. This is the kind of romantic movie that you don't feel the need to justify your love for it.

Everybody rises to the challenge with their characters, from central roles such as those played by Daniel Day-Lewis, Helena Bonham-Carter and Julian Sande to the smaller characters played by Judi Dench and Rupert Graves. The scenery is beautiful and the music adds to the experience wonderfully. In some ways, this movie doesn't have that typical "costume drama" feel to it - while being set in a certain period in history, "A Room with a View" feels rather timeless. One doesn't feel the social and cultural differences of the era as much as one might while watching "Pride and Prejudice" or even "Maurice" - a second E.M. Forster novel adapted by Merchant Ivory. Whether or not this is a good thing depends on the viewer. Regardless of preferences, I fully recommend "A Room with a View" to anyone who enjoys light romantic comedies that don't resort to being silly and contrived.

My favorite Merchant Ivory film

Author: burgan6203 from Bozeman, MT, USA
1 October 2004

James Ivory and Ismail Merchant(together with screenwriter Ruth Prawer Jhabvala)have produced some of the best period movies of any given time. "A Room With a View" is my personal favorite.

Adapted from a fabulous book by EM Forster, ARWAV has fantastic photography(particularly the first half in Italy, which was all filmed on location), a solid musical score and top-notch performances from all involved- my two favorites being Daniel Day-Lewis as the foppish twerp Cecil Vyse and Maggie Smith as Miss.Bartlett, the "prematurely aged martyr"(to quote my favorite line from the book)_.

It also contains IMO one of the best screen kisses: a field of wheat overlooking Florence... it's just about perfect.

The one thing I felt was unnecessary was the scene with George Emerson in the tree shouting. But that's a minor compliant.

I highly recommend "A Room With a View".

A comedy of manners, evoking a lost age...

Author: Steve Swayne from Canberra, Australia
30 October 1998

A wonderful movie, evoking a time when the manners and morals of Victorian society were slowly but surely making way for the more liberal and modern ways of the 20th century. Memorable settings in a languid pre First World War Italian summer, coupled with costumes and set design really capture the period feel of this movie very well.

An excellent performance by Maggie Smith as the prim and proper Charlotte Bartlett determined that her young companion Lucy Honeychurch (Helena Bonham Carter) will gain the educational benefits of the 'Grand Tour' and conduct herself in a proper manner, and a very contained performance by Daniel Day-Lewis as the reserved suitor Cecil Vyse. The blossoming of Lucy Honeychurch and her awakening passion is a highlight of the film.

Another excellent Merchant/Ivory period movie, I gave it 10 out of 10.

in one word....Odd

Author: borninthewrongcentury from United States
14 November 2013

I don't know what so many see in this movie. Certainly not as a "serious" romantic drama. I think if I had been told it was a romantic "comedy" I would have been much more inclined to like it as a comedy, but certainly not as a serious romantic drama like for instance North and South or A Royal Affair. Maybe for the English this IS a serious drama. But for me it was just silly and well, odd.

I truly do not get all the rave reviews and remarks about this movie. I just found it goofy and weird. If you like that, I think you would like it for the goofy, odd humor. But as a serious drama, pass.

I mean seriously many times I felt really icked out by a few of the characters. Like Mr. Beebe. He almost seemed like a fetishist or something. He gave me the creeps so I think it made it even more difficult to watch with his parts especially the way he talked about such a young girl. If I met a man like that today talking about my daughter that way, he would be in big trouble.

Cecil, the true hero

Author: Karl Ericsson (karlericsson@telia.com) from sweden
17 March 2008

23 years later, this film makes a different impression from when I saw it first. The truest character and the only loving one is Cecil - not the other hoodlums. Rocco Siffredi look-alike Julian Sands is full of lust, that is clear, but love? Hardly. True too, is the older Emerson and he, his only fought being his blindness to his son's self-love, is the central character of the film, for sure - besides Cecil. Poor Cecil - nobody understands him and he cannot express himself more without giving it all away - of course, I'm talking about the true Cecil now, the Cecil that the author of this book misinterpreted but not enough for him (Cecil) becoming totally invisible. Too good for this world - that is Cecil. I kid you not!!!

Page 8 of 10: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]