IMDb > A Room with a View (1985) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
A Room with a View

A Room with a View More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

The perfect weekend movie.

Author: malia (mburgess33@hotmail.com) from slc, utah
20 November 2001

This movie is one of my very favorite films of all time. Fine acting performances from the cast (especially Daniel Day-Lewis as Cecil Vyse) and some of the wittiest dialogue in a period piece ever.

"A Room with a View" is set partly in Florence, Italy, and the film showcases the beauty of the city via its art, architecture, sculptures, and general feeling.

This film is a wonderful treasure that E.M. Forester would be proud of today. Cuddle with your loved one and watch this movie.

The best period film ever made...period.

Author: GirlwonderReturns from Boulder, Colorado, USA
12 October 2001

This was my best friend's most favorite film back when we were in high school, and for over a year I refused to watch it. What was the point? I was a 17-year-old heavy metal fan; period dramas were stuffy and joyless, something that I only watched when I was forced to by parents or teachers.

Well, finally I relented and agreed to give it a shot...and ended up loving it even more than she did. Everything about this movie is wonderful; it's funny, romantic, wise, and touching. The cast simply couldn't be better - I especially liked Dame Maggie Smith as Charlotte Bartlett, Denholm Elliott as the wonderful Mr. Emerson, Simon Callow as the Reverend Beebe, and Rupert Graves as the irrepressible Freddy Honeychurch, although similar kudos must be given to Helena Bonham Carter, Daniel Day-Lewis, and Julian Sands. The love story is wildly romantic without also being painfully sappy. And the message is wise, loud and clear: life without passion is not really life at all. If only I could find my own George Emerson!

One of the best films of all times

Author: annika-2 from Gothenburg, Sweden
5 July 2001

This film was my awakening, both to Italy and Giacomo Puccini's music. It also includes some of my favourite actors/ actresses such as Helena Bonham Carter, Maggie Smith and Simon Callow. Together with the rest of the cast they make this film better than the novel. I have never seen a film which was better than the novel until I saw this one. See it and fall inlove with Tuscany, British actors and Giacomo Puccini's music. The latter so masterly performed by Dame Kiri Te Kanawa.

A subtle but touching tale of young love.

Author: anatja from LONDON
12 April 2000

I have just sat through "A Room with a View" again and I still can not believe this film is 14 years old. I don't think many people can appreciate that the film and the novel which it is based on, is a subtle social commentary, also the films characters seem to come alive on the screen! I think we have got so used to crafty films, sardonic humour and twists in the end, that we fail to appreciate what a masterpiece this film is.

A dreadful bore with a pleasant stop by the pool

Author: rgcustomer from Canada
15 February 2011

Sorry, but I find the 7.5 rating of this film on IMDb to be laughable. This film was a total bore. I didn't feel anything for any of the characters, some of whom I couldn't identify from scene to scene, and others I couldn't understand over the blaring music with their heavily-accented whispers.

Indeed, the only good thing about this film is the delightful water frolic that woke me up for a pleasant minute or two before returning me to dull boredom.

This film is a drama, with no drama. Romance, with no romance. Comedy, with no comedy.

A magnificent!!!! film which like Yasujiro Ozu's Late Spring is a movie which I must watch at least once every year.

Author: (belfman@bellsouth.net) from Atlanta, GA
28 December 2001

Helena Bonham Carter, Julian Sands, and Denholm Elliot bring passion, soul and heart to a story that continues on every viewing to touch something inside me, that stirs my own feelings as it does the characters in the film.

In many ways, an almost flawless film with superb directing and acting by all. A great chance to see magnificent supporting performances from Daniel Day Lewis, Judi Dench, and Simon Callow. Maggie Smith does her standard role of the repressed, repressing, and self-flagellating chaperone/martyr, which here works effectively as it gives Helena Bonham Carter something to react against.

The direction finds the perfect note to contrast the physical sensibilities of the Italian culture with the properness of upper class British moralities.

The passion forthcoming in the understatement found all the way around is palpable in nearly every scene.

"The Tempestuous Tulip."

Author: Robert J. Maxwell (rmax304823@yahoo.com) from Deming, New Mexico, USA
25 February 2010

A tasteful film. Very tasteful. I knew it was going to be tasteful during the first scene. A soprano has just been singing a familiar aria. The setting is a pension in Florence. Two middle-class English women, Maggie Smith and the younger Helena Bonham Carter, find that the rooms they've booked don't have a view. Smith makes a considerable fuss.

Two English gentlemen witness this confrontation, Denholm Elliott and his son, the handsome blond Julian Sands. Elliott interrupts the argument with his brusque working-class manner and offers the ladies his rooms, which do have a view. Huffily, slightly wary, Smith accepts after she thinks about the propriety of the act, but then makes Carter take the elder man's room because, after all, you never know what might happen if a young lady sleeps in the room a young man has just vacated.

I was fully prepared to nod out, while everyone intuited everyone else on the screen. Not that I'm an anti-elitist. I'm a literature maven myself. I read James Joyce's poem, "Trees," though I have to admit I've always thought "A Room With a View" was written by Virginia Woolfe. No matter.

The whole affair is so subtle as it unfolds before us. Should Helena Bonham Carter marry the sere, stiff aesthete Daniel Day-Lewis (in a magnificent performance)? Or should she marry Julian Sands, the impulsive, dashing, reckless youth who wordlessly wraps her in his arms in the middle of a barley field and smothers her with a big wet kiss? She opts for the more dangerous mate, the one whose father has shouted, "The answer to the everlasting WHY, WHY, WHY -- is YES!" I worried for her, frankly. I was afraid her married life might turn out to be a little more -- experimental -- than she might have anticipated.

Well, it's easy to make fun of these Edwardian finger exercises. The rules are so strict that Bonham is advised to avoid playing Beethoven on the piano because it might make her "peevish." Yet it's unfair to do so. However ridiculous the social guidelines seem to us, I can easily imagine our own looking equally ridiculous to those left alive a hundred years from now. Also, speaking as an anthropologist, a culture is a culture and we should always hesitate before making judgments about the customs of others, whether distant from us in space or time. There's a reason for everything, and certainly the stone-heavy repression we see here is reason enough for "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde." The problem, if there is one, lies not with the culture, with its hints and intrigues, but with the thoroughly serious treatment of it by E. M. Forster. Some critics see irony in it. I tend to see irony in Oscar Wilde.

I don't know if Julian Sands is particularly handsome or not. He gives a smooth and easy performance as a free thinker. Daniel Day-Lewis has a more complex role in that he's faced with a challenge to his prissy self-esteem and is forced to deal with it. With his stiff bearing and precise demeanor, his thin mustache, his walking stick, and his pince nez, if he cocked his hat to the side a bit, he'd look like James Joyce, whose "Ulysses" was set in the same period. Helena Bonham Carter is innocent and virtuous, though her performance suggests a tiger lurking underneath all that froth and filigree. She's a little doll. She looks about five feet tall. Her features are pinched and beautiful. She has a large, pale forehead and tiny lips and her eyes project a keen intelligence.

At any rate, I didn't nod out. Some of the characters and their names -- I just couldn't keep straight, but the story wandered around in an interesting way, like a tour of an exotic city. Nice views of the Ponte Vecchio, the Florentine bridge on which Dante fell in love with his lovely Beatrice -- from which I once saw a man with perfect poise urinating into the Arno below. A little more of that kind of irony might have pepped things up.

A brilliant film,great entertainment

Author: boyan-denizov (denizov@abv.bg) from Russe, Bulgaria
18 October 2004

This film is indeed one of my favourite.I have watched it three times and even after that i can never recall a dull moment.The film is very carefully balanced-it has everyhing-drama,romance,humour,strong characters in perfect blend.The music-Italian operas -serves as a wonderful background to the plot which takes place in Florence and in the English countryside.There are numerous moments and phrases which I have remembered which comes to prove that this film have impressed me and entertained me as few others have.The actors play wonderfully.Another merit of the film is that it is a comedy without being stupid or improbable.This alone is nothing short of a feat in nowadays comedies.This is British cinema at its best!!!

Luscious period drama

Author: george-102 from Germany
25 May 1999

This film is what I expect from Merchant Ivory, a tourist guidebook of a movie with wonderful scenery and acting. I don't see much else beyond a very ordinary boy-meets-girl plot. I have only seen this film once, so there are probably nuances I've missed. But I think there are much better nostalgic movies about the English upper classes as they never were, such as "A Passage to India" or (if it counts as a movie) "Brideshead Revisited".

It's a Good Movie If You Can Stay Awake Through It

Author: evanston_dad from United States
6 May 2008

I'm pretty sure I've seen "A Room with a View" from beginning to end, but I can't say with any certainty that I've done so sequentially. See, my wife loves this movie, but every time she puts it in it lulls me instantly to sleep. It's like an adult version of a "Mr. Rogers" episode.

This Merchant/Ivory production is typically polished and oh-so-tasteful, but like all of their movies it feels like the cinematic equivalent of one of those museum dioramas. It's not very lively, even if it is painstakingly accurate in its period detail.

Maggie Smith and Denholm Elliott were awarded Oscar nominations, but the standout actors are Daniel Day-Lewis, playing a hopelessly uptight and ridiculous suitor, and Judi Dench, who plays an adventurous novelist who's far more exciting than any other character in the film.

Grade: B+