IMDb > Raw Deal (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Raw Deal

Raw Deal More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

One of Arnold's best. A must for every Schwarznegger fan.

Author: sol1218 from brooklyn NY
2 October 2003

Arnold takes on the entire Chicago syndicate run by mob chief Luigi Petrovita, Sam Wanamaker, with predictable results.

Arnold, Mark Kaminski, is canned from the FBI because he was too rough with the bad guys and told by his boss Baxter, Joe Regalbuto, to "resign or be prosecuted". Now working in a dead end job as a lawman in some hick town in North Carolina a friend of his from the FBI Harry Shannon, Darren McGavin, gets in touch with Arnold for help in the death of his son who was killed in a mob attack on a FBI safe house.

Harry tells Anold that there's a mole in the FBI's higher ups that's tipping off the mob on what the FBI has as informers and witnesses and where there being kept from the mob to live long enough to testify against it and is responsible for his son's death. Arnold goes undercover as a hood and joins the mob to find out who's working with them from the FBI and bring him to justice in this action-packed Arnold Schwarznegger vehicle; and just guess who the FBI mole is?

A must for Schwarznegger fans with Arnold, for the first time in his movie career, speaking whole sentences and showing some sensitivity in scenes with his love interests in the movie his wife Amy, Balnche Baker, to whom Arnold utters the movie best line " You shouldn't drink and bake at the same time". There's also Arnolds sexy mob girlfriend Monique, Kathryn Harrold, whom he avoids having any action with and has no idea that Arnold is an undercover lawman as well as a loyal and happily married man.

Great action sequences sprinkled all throughout the film with a tremendous and unbelievable shoot-out at the end of the movie to the explosive and thumping music score of "The Kaminski Stomp" which raises the adrenaline level of the theater audience to it's limits.

Ingedients:Full of Nutritious Arnie one liners. (no artificial acting)

Author: (matthew-lamb) from United Kingdom
18 April 2005

Raw Deal was in the classic Arnie era, the era of one line classics and bad acting. How quality is this film, its just non-stop from start to finish. You've got the classic good guy joins the mobsters gang in order to bring them down - Arnie sports a classic lumberjack shirt in this film as he plays a small town sheriff (check out the car chase at the beginning). He rolls of classic line after classic line, there is one instance where him and his wife have a argument - she throws are cake at him after she has had a few drinks, he says

"You shouldn't drink...and bake"

how cool is that

this looks surprisingly low budget for Arnie, but you have to watch it for its comedy value

hilarious

Author: al_phillips2000 from Cornwall, Ontario
16 December 2001

Arnold at his peak as a one-man wrecking crew as he demolishes a crime family single-handed. It reminds me of the Stallone film where Rambo takes on Russia in Afghanistan. This film has good acting though, and the ever-evil Robert Davi at his slimy best. The shoot-out at the gravel pit with "Satisfaction" playing is a classic. And don't forget the classic line :"You should not drink and bake"!

2nd rate Schwarzenegger, but fans will still enjoy it

Author: lemon_magic from Wavy Wheat, Nebraska
19 November 2005

Don't be angry with me for only awarding "Raw Deal" 5 stars out of 10. It's a 'strong, almost a 6' 5, not a 'weak, barely above a 4' 5. If that makes any sense.

I think that part of the problem is that I saw this after I saw "Terminator" and "Commando", and it was a bit of a let-down. (And I might have been suffering from a bit of "Schwarzenegger-overexposure".) Arnold is a bit wasted here. It's as if someone mistakenly cast him in a role meant for someone like Chuck Norris. Let's face it, this is a smaller scale movie with a seemingly smaller budget; Dolph Lundgren or Rutger Hauer or Micheal Biehn or even that guy from "Eddie And The Cruisers" could have filled in for the S-man in this movie and you would hardly have noticed the difference, except for a few one-liners. Not to mention the director for "Raw Deal" seemed to be nowhere near Cameron's or Lester's class. Same thing goes for the cast (with all respect to Darren McGavin and Robert Davi). Kathryn Harrold is not a substitute for Linda Hamilton. She's OK, but she's a Ford Taurus to Hamilton's Corvette Stingray.

There are pacing problems, too. The screenwriter felt the need to include several filler sequences that are meant to advance the plot and fill in back story and give the other cast members something to do. But most of these sequences are pretty lackluster: a fistfight in a women's clothing store goes nowhere; a romantic confrontation between Davi and Harrold leaves no lasting impact (though it does let Harrold get off a good put-down line); and the 10 minute car chase scene where a crime boss winds up hamburger is an exercise in by-the-numbers padding if there ever was one (good sound design, though).

But the last 20 minutes serves as a payoff to the first part of the film, and it is basically one long bullet-fest. Arnold basically shoots everything short of LAWs and RPGs at the bad guys, and they obligingly miss with all their shots and fall over and die. None of this is staged with anything like the panache of the firefights in "Commando" or the desperate high speed run-and-gun highway fights in "Terminator". It's all very meat-and-potatoes stuff that wouldn't have be out of place in a typical Cannon/Golan-Globus production. But there's plenty of it, and the S-man is appropriately grim and indestructible, and any fan will be satisfied once the final bad guy goes down in the final hail of bullets.

After 3 viewings, I still don't understand why no one can hit the huge, slow-moving white guy when they shoot at him, but it's his movie, so I'll just attribute it to Arnold's penchant for bringing a Browning Automatic Rifle to a revolver fight, and let it pass.

And I don't discount this movie just because it was an Arnold vehicle - I felt that his follow-up "The Running Man" was a return to form (although still not as good as "Terminator" and "Commando").

Anyway, "Raw Deal" doesn't place in the top 5 (or even 10) Arnold films, but any Schwarzenegger completist will want to have it, and will probably find much to enjoy. And fans of "Crime Story" and gangster films in general will also find this to their liking.

Great Film for What It Is

Author: weezer76 from Columbus, Ohio
19 August 2002

This is a great film for what it purports to be. It's an action picture, but it also has curious storyline that keeps one interested in Joey P. Brenner's travails, and it's not all that predictable until the very end. Moreover, it does have a human element at times (plus we see a still-massive Arnold sporting a wife-beater). Granted, Arnold doesn't have much depth of dialogue, but it's not Shakespeare. I don't understand why everyone else dislikes "Raw Deal" to such an intense degree, as one must first understand where it is coming from. It is a fun film, one of the few Schwarzenegger films that is a must-have on dvd.

Author: MyOpinionIsFact from United States
21 May 2000

I own this movie. Well, I own most of Arnold's movies. But I've only watched this one 3 or 4 times over the last decade. It's not a great movie although I think I enjoy it a little bit more with each viewing. The flick does have its moments. I like the interplay between Max and Brenner. And Arnold plays a very cool Mafia-like guy. The ending -- if you could even call it that -- is terrible. Did the script say, "Insert ending here"? Nevertheless, I liked the action even if it was corny at times. And the style of the movie grows on you with each viewing. I give it a 6/10 for been slightly more enjoyable than average.

The Deal Is Raw

Author: DarthBill from United States
22 April 2004

Arnold is an ex-FBI man turned small town sheriff. He was forced to leave the FBI because he lost his temper with a suspect who molested and mutilated a little girl and beat the crap out of the offending villain. Because this is a big step down for him, he's having problems with his wife, who misses their old life in New York. Then Arnold is asked by an old pal to infiltrate a hot Chicago mafia ring and destroy them from the inside. Why? Because the old pal's son was killed and he wants to get even through Arnold. Arnold gives up his trademark spiked hair look for the slicked back look, trades in his leather jacket for the double breasted suits, has a semi-affair with Kathryn Harold, and when Robert Davi nearly kills his old friend and then starts raising hell and even manages to settle the score with a crooked old FBI associate - the same guy who cost him his FBI job in the first place! Film ends happily with the old friend making a complete recovery and Arnold not only fixing his relationship with his wife but knocking her up too with their first child. Arnold is fun to watch as always, but this one just doesn't measure up to "Terminator", "Commando", "Predator" or "The Running Man" among Arnold's other contributions to cinema.

What do you think I look like, Dirty Harry?

Author: lastliberal from United States
7 July 2008

I have been soaking up a lot of vicarious aggression lately with Van Damme, Stallone, and Ahnuld. I bet a lot of Arnie's fans have missed this little gem. No, we don't look for quality here, but Schwarzenegger does a credible job of acting and he keeps throwing out these funny lines that keep you in stitches.

Nothing original here - failed FBI agent, now small town Sheriff (think Bruce Willis in Hostage or Striking Distance, Tom Selleck as Jesse Stone, or many others who are out in the cold because of their screw-ups or someone's evil deed - called to infiltrate the mob and bring them down.

You know Arnie's going to get the job done with muscle and firepower. He even manages a little romance - damn little - with Kathryn Harrold.

Paybacks are hell!

Raw Deal? Don't mess with Schwarzenegger..!!

Author: smiley-32 from Luton, England
25 October 2005

I got this on video.. Looks like it's totally uncut. But Schwarzenegger is at his best, since playing The Terminator.. In this film, he's brought down to earth as this former FBI agent turned Sheriff in a small North Carolina town..

When an old friend's son of his get shot.. Schwarzenegger's character Kaminski decides to take the job in revenge of his friend's son. This leads him into the underworld of the crime bosses who are at each other's throat. On one side, you got Luigi Patrovita played by the late Sam Wanamaker.. On the other, you've got Laminski played by Steven Hill..

Paul Shenar looked great as Paulo Rocca.. Man! I suppose anyone didn't want to mess with this guy..!

As the film goes on, tension remains that Kaminski is determined to bring down Patrovita.. whatever the cost!

The music score in this film sounded OK! John Irvin's direction really kind of hooked me from the moment the film started, right way round to it finished..

Darren McGavin gave a good performance as Harry Shannon.. Although his character wanted to do what was best for his son.. Give 'em hell! or according to Kaminski.. 'Do what an old friend told me to do.. knock 'em dead!'

Robert Davi.. The cool, sophisticated, suave looking heavy Max Keller.. He played this character very well. It seems that when you see Robert Davi in character.. He plays one of those mean tough looking characters that you don't want to mess with..

All-in-all, the film lives up to its title.. Schwarzenegger certainly did his job by taking down the bad guys, no matter what!

Finally, I forgot to mention Kathryn Harrold.. She looks stunning in the film! Shame Kaminski couldn't go any further..

A good action film.. 8 out of 10!

Raw Deal - One of his best

Author: rawhide-5 from United States
17 November 2005

This movie gives you everything you want to see in a true action movie from the Hero at his weakest to his strongest. Typically, action movies aren't awarded Oscars because the character development is poor. Most of the characters die before you really get to know them in some of the films we see. In this film, Arnold accomplishes character development as well as action in the same movie. Although, some of the characters are stereotypical gangsters, his interaction with them helps solidify their presence in the movie. The movie does rank in the same category as Commando but if you love watching his movies, then this one should be a real treat!

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]