IMDb > The Quest (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Frog Dreaming

The Quest More at IMDbPro »Frog Dreaming (original title)

One of my favorite movies as a kid

Author: Samus Aran from Canada
2 July 2002

Yes, this movie was peculiar. Yes, the plot was sort of strange and a bit difficult to follow the first time around ... that is why we watched it many times !

The boy is a great inventor, and goes exploring strange things in this lake... and I thought the movie was just very mysterious and exciting as a kid.

I just thought I would put out this little review, as the other voter quite disliked it, heh. I thought it was superb !

Ever wondered what's at the bottom?

Author: eepiwee from Washington, USA
6 May 2004

It's been many years since I've seen this movie but I'm working on making it a part of my collection. Basically, there's an eerie, spooky, creepy pond that perks a boy's curiosity. The boy, Cody, starts investigating an old legend about "Donkegin" and/or "frog dreamings," all this I don't quite remember but I do remember certain parts as being incredibly intriguing. As a kid, and even today, I've always been fascinated with lakes and ponds, always wondering what's at the bottom. I believe they even get some underwater footage at some point when Cody wears an old-fashioned dive suit! This is an excellent adventure movie that's great for the whole family! Highly recommended!

Cool adventure film for kids

Author: pleiades10 from Woodbridge, Virginia
16 August 2000

Let me start by saying it has been about 8 or 9 years since I last saw the Quest, but I still remember it fondly.

Henry Thomas, soon after his performance as "Elliot" in E.T., finds himself living with relatives in Australia after his parents pass on. He soon begins to investigate a local legend called the "Dahnk-a-gin" (or something like that...), a fierce loch-ness-monster style beast living in an old quarry that has been flooded.

As a child, I was always very inquisitive and imaginative, and loved to explore old buildings and creepy places, so this movie appealed to me greatly. The area surrounding the flooded quarry is littered with scrap metal, beat up shacks, and a cool broken down 50's car that just call to the exploring spirit.

During some scenes, Henry rides the railroad using a modified bicycle that could lock onto the railroad tracks... start pedaling, and off you go! I always wanted one of those...

Anyway, check out the Quest, and see if it doesn't sweep you up in it's imaginative spell!

Very creepy!

Author: Paul Emmons (pemmons@voicenet.com) from Philadelphia
5 August 2001

Cody Walpole (Henry Thomas) is a scientific, mechanically-minded, and ruggedly individualistic 14-year-old loner. He is also brave to the point of foolhardy, quite the daredevil-- except that he doesn't let anyone tell him what to do. Extremely inner-directed, what he dares and endures are come out of a quiet but fierce determination of his own prompting.

He stumbles upon a seemingly haunted, God-forsaken spot in the Australian wilderness, a long-abandoned mine or quarry flooded with filthy brown water. He knows of an old hermit who spends his vacations living alone in the area. After seeing none-too-recent evidence of this man's presence, he calls out and searches for him and eventually finds his skeleton. It looks as though the man was literally scared to death. This place is not on any map and, after some further investigation, he hears that the local aborigines shun the spot as the legendary lair of a monster living in the murky pool, a being so horrible that the mere sight of it kills. The place seems to exude bad luck and gives everyone the creeps who goes near it.

Cody believes that there must be a rational explanation for this phenomenon and becomes obsessed with the site and discovering the true nature of the creature in the water. This mission requires him to defy and disobey everyone in the local village, even his guardian, another individual so laconic and independent as to be a soul mate, who usually lets this resourceful boy do whatever he wants. Cody's steps in solving the mystery are breathtakingly lonely and dangerous.

As much as I admire individualism and independence, it is difficult for me to sympathize with courage carried to such an extreme for no compelling reason. Although others have recommended this film for children, I can't agree. It is the stuff of which nightmares are made-- I think it could even give me some. And Cody's reckless behavior, despite his admirable traits, makes him something of an anti-hero.

There is no denying, however, that the filmmakers have done a superb job with atmosphere and have captured some gorgeous wilderness scenery. I can understand this being among someone's favorite films. It is certainly different.

Welcome in dreamtime...

Author: Froggy Dreamer (froggydreamer@spray.fr) from "Donkegin's Hole" (and France)
13 August 2000

I was quite young when I first saw THE QUEST (also known as FROG DREAMING,it's original Australian title). I can remember that day and how I felt,no other Film had ever done such an effect on me before that. Now I'm 21 and after all those years I came here to write a review about a Film which is going to remain my favourite one forever,and for many reasons,the most special to me.

Indeed FROG DREAMING is a very special Film,I would even say that it is unique. The screenplay was written by Everett DeROCHE,a brilliant scriptwriter full of talent and imagination,who did a lot for the Australian Film industry. Director Brian Trenchard-smith managed perfectly to create an eerie climate along with Production designer Jon Dowding (who also did the Mad Max Films). There is a wonderful photography and Brian May,the famous Australian composer,did an amazing music score,exceptionally effective in mood-setting,using Aboriginal instruments such as sticks,didjeridoo and bullroarer.

FROG DREAMING is a Film about a young boy,Cody (Henry Thomas)and the mystery of an Aboriginal dreamtime myth. A story about how myths are created and where is the truth or is there a truth , it is also about how some people just do not want to question themselves,fearing that the answer might be followed by even more questions.

No,FROG DREAMING is not the most famous Film in the world,no it is not an Hollywood highly commercial movie made with an incredible budget,but does it mean that this is not a great Film ? Maybe a little-known Australian production based on a great and imaginative screenplay has got more interest than a blockbuster only based on special F/X ,it's up to you to decide. I think that everybody should enjoy this Film,of course someone only interested in slasher movies full of blood would,probably,not like it. But I think that if you can watch it with Cody's eyes,if you have imagination,if you can dream and if you are still capable of questioning yourself,you will undoubtedly love FROG DREAMING.

There are Films that you can't remember the day after you watched them,but sometimes there is a Film which is different,a Film which gives you something more than any other and which becomes a part of your own life. To me,FROG DREAMING is that Film and I am deeply convinced that it is a GREAT FILM.

The day I saw FROG DREAMING my soul went at "Donkegin's Hole" and it never came back.

May I remain there forever...in dreamtime

If you saw this as a child... and didn't like it, you probably have no soul!

Author: rich_percival from United States
18 September 2005

I have not seen this in 15 years but it has stayed with me enough to look it up here, (more than you can say for most films aimed at kids.) At the time I think we did watch it hoping it would be another 'Goonies.' What we found was different and slower but still fantastic at inspiring the imagination. Frankly if you found it confusing or overly wordy then you were either very young or pretty dumb. The pragmatic lead kid is sure there must be a rational explanation to an Aboriginal story about a spooky lake. He does indeed discover that the 'donkegine' is really just a donkey engine left at the bottom of the lake (maybe the writer was watching Star Trek the motion picture or something) but he learns about an alternate and interesting culture as well as I suppose grasping that there isn't an answer to everything out there. It's a charming 'coming of age' story that I'd like to see again.

Critics really hate this film.

Author: Zacha from Sydney, Australia
18 August 2000

It's been a very long time since I saw this film. It was called "Frog Dreaming" in Australia. It has a simple, slow rhythm, like in "The Year my Voice Broke". It's not "ET" and its not "Close Encounters", and that's probably what bothers people who pick it up at the video store. Critics hated this film at when it came out at the cinema. I loved it.

Not a Bad Flick

Author: ScottG74 from Joliet, IL
5 July 2001

I have not seen this movie in over 10 years, but it must have been good because I still remember it. I saw it when I was 12 and it seemed really cool at the time. The plot didn't seem boring to me, kids looking for a lochness-type monster. Had a lot of dialogue, but good stuff. I remember thinking the young girl in it was so cute. That is the whole reason I looked this movie up, to see what her name was (Rachel Friend). Unfortunately, she never did much else. Anyway, I think pre-teen and young teens would still like this movie.

Pretty good

Author: (highlites@lineone.net) from Cornwall England
4 September 2001

I saw this film about ten years ago (when I was ten) on TV and always wished I could have an exciting summer holiday like the kids in it did. It's basically a children's adventure so of course it's not going to be critically acclaimed but it's still a good movie to watch. It's a crime that Henry Thomas didn't succeed into a great career after this as it certainly proved he was very talented as an actor (though I hear he's doing well in a film called Fever at the moment). Anyhow this is a nice movie for the generation I grew up in. It was released over here as FROG DREAMING. 8/10. It wasn't boring at all.

The Quest

Author: mysticalruby from United States
9 November 2006

I have to say that growing up and watching movies like this has made me who i am i'm a dreamer and i'm all for finding how if it's true or if it's all made up and this movie has it all from not wanting to list to his dad to finding a truly fun thing to do with your day's and time...

i'd say this movie was truly great of the best and i have been LOOKING for years for this movie i growing up watch more movies then anything and this one always stuck in my head only i forgot the name and we are now in the age of DVD's and very little VHS's and you can't find anything.... on VHS's anymore..... I truly hope this movie comes out on DVD for it's movie i want all my kids and Gran kids and so on...... to watch for it's truly a family fun movie.