Peggy Sue Got Married (1986) Poster

a classic - in the same mold as "Field of Dreams" and "Frequency"
Drewboy-225 September 2000
I rented this film the other night when I knew I would be alone - that's just the way I have to watch this, alone - guess I'm not comfortable with people seeing me cry. I cried when it was in the theatres in 1986 and I've seen it maybe 10 times now - and it gets me each and every time, as if I were watching for the very first time! Sorry to drone on, but it has just the right touch - you've heard a lot of comparisons with "Back to the Future" - believe me, it isn't! If you liked the two movies I mentioned in my header, especially "Frequency" since it is about to be released on video - you will love this film!

Kathleen Turner was excellent - I have seen Debra Winger (originally scheduled to play the title role) in several films, including "Terms of Endearment" and though I respect her as an actress, she just couldn't have done this part justice. Nicolas Cage was great in his role - the whiny voice was a bit much - but it's hard to believe he was only 21 when this film was made. He plays a high school kid and a guy in his 40's equally well - he's always had a gift for that. Jim Carrey - then mostly unknown - displays some of the physical slapstick routines that would later earn him praise and renown. Then there's Joan Allen - as I saw this movie for the first time, I thought how much she resembled former first lady Pat Nixon in her earlier years - and sure enough, that's who she played in Oliver Stone's "Nixon". Helen Hunt portrays Kathleen Turner and Nicolas Cage's daughter - ironic, since she is older than Cage! It was one of her beginning roles as well.

Without a doubt, the scenes with Peggy Sue and her grandparents are the most touching in the whole film. Think about it - if you had the chance to see someone again who had died long before, what would you say to them? What would you do? This wonderful film gives us the chance to find out.

Will "Peggy Sue Got Married" ever be available on videocassette for home purchase again? I hate to have to rent it each time I want to see it!
41 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Delightful Romance About Reevaluation of Life
Claudio Carvalho12 June 2005
In the reunion of the twentieth-fifth anniversary of high school, the former popular student Peggy Sue, who is facing a divorce of her husband Charlie Bodell (Nicolas Cage), faints and wakes up in 1960. The experienced Peggy Sue decides to change and improve her life in this new opportunity.

"Peggy Sue Got Married" is a delightful and charming fantasy about reevaluation and a second chance in life. The story is very beautiful, the production is very careful and I am really surprised how underrated this movie is in IMDb. I do not get tired of this film, and it is among my favorite romances. Kathleen Turner is extremely beautiful in the lead role, and watching this movie in 2005, it is a great chance to see names like Jim Carrey, Joan Allen and Sofia Coppola twenty years ago in the beginning of their careers. In Brazil, unfortunately this movie has not been released on DVD. My vote is nine.

Title (Brazil): "Peggy Sue – Seu Passado a Espera" ("Peggy Sue – Your Past Waits For You')
48 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"The girl's gone, let's play poker!"
BumpyRide9 November 2004
I'm surprised by the number of people on here who don't like this movie. Like a few of the positive reviewers I'd have to say this is one of my favorite, "contemporary classics." The story is exquisite, who wouldn't want to go back to a time when things were a bit simpler and someone was there to take care of you and make you feel safe? Whenever I stumble upon it, I end up watching it. Too many scenes start the old water works for me.

Peggy seeing her little sister for the first time, going into her old bedroom, and hearing her grandmother's voice on the phone are all quite touching.

Call me crazy but I just love the moment where Charlie takes Peggy down into the basement and confronts her about what is going on. When he leaves, Peggy opens a music box, pulls out a cigarette and lights it.

Another special moment happens when Peggy smokes a joint and talks about what she'd like to be when she grows up, as she turns around and around under a starry sky.

This is quite a good movie, filled with many special performances and scenes along the way.
67 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A warm and underrated movie
bsinc20 April 2003
Kathleen Turner is great in this movie, she more or less pulls off her task and is very believable as the teenager who gets to relive and, to some point, change and correct her past. Francis Ford Coppola knows exactly where to draw the fine line between heart warming and pathetic and does so with great artistic knowledge and taste. This movie is filled with memorable quotes, like "No more jello for me, mom!" and is altogether very funny. Great performances from a pile of familiar faces, Nicholas Cage is irritating at first, but is likeable at the end. A great score, a great and heart warming story, solid acting and nostalgia make this movie more than worth a second viewing. 8/10
56 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Comfortable as an old shoe...
BeafyBear18 September 2003
This movie is definitely on my Top 20 list of all time favorite movies. Whenever I come across it while channel surfing, I end up watching it again-and I hate watching movies that are edited for TV!

As others have pointed out, it showcases so many talented actors. Joan Allen is great here, as is Catherine Hicks. And the amazing Barbara Harris, whom I adore for her work on the stage, is excellent and dead-on as Peggy's mother. Jim Carrey is here as well and surprise, he's overacting in most of his scenes! While I've never completely figured out why Nicholas Cage was encouraged to employ the weird-ass voice that he did, his performance winds up being very likeable. Barry Miller is also great as Richard.

The premise is cool. Who among us wouldn't want to have such and opportunity (OK, maybe not the passing out in public part)? As a person that grew up in the 60s, I'd love to return and see some of the sights and sounds that filled my innocent, pre-Internet world. And the scene when Peggy hears her Grandmother's voice on the phone makes me cry every time.

I likey!
43 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Wizard of Oz in Sonoma County, California
oowawa30 August 2007
Maybe I am a bit prejudiced about the greatness of this film; I grew up in Sonoma County, and the sight of Peggy Sue Kelcher standing on the senior steps at Santa Rosa High School (where I drop off my granddaughters every morning) gives me a great thrill. When I drop them off, I often say, "If you see Peggy Sue, tell her I said hello." And they respond--"We will, grandpa." (And they no doubt think: "What an old cornball.") What a beautiful school! And it still looks just the same as it did in the 80's (or the 60's, for that matter). The place seems to be in a time warp. In a certain sense, taking this movie to heart has mythologized my world. Francis Ford Coppola's talent for finding the perfect settings for his comic philosophic masterpiece is unerring throughout--even if he had to paint the streets in Petaluma purple just to get the exact effect that he wanted.

"Peggy Sue" would be very high on my all-time top 100 film list, if I had such a list. The film is not only funny and soulful, it also directly addresses what is perhaps life's central existential question: "If you had the opportunity to relive your life, making the same mistakes and suffering the same consequences, would you do it?" Remember, in making your decision, that your children's lives, and the loves and friendships you have experienced in your lifetime, are contingent upon your answer.

When you watch "Peggy Sue," notice how the film parallels "The Wizard of Oz." Like Dorothy, Peggy Sue goes 'over the rainbow' into a magical world. It is in fact the world of her own past, but everything has been enchanted and transformed by her adult point-of-view. The Wizard himself, who must contrive to return Peggy Sue back home, is Peggy Sue's kind old grandfather, with his wonderful bogus lodge magic. Her friends at the reunion have their counterparts in the "over the rainbow" world of the past, just as Dorothy's friends on the farm have their counterparts in Oz. When Peggy Sue awakens from her trip, her old stale world and her old disappointing husband appear in a new light. Like Dorothy, Peggy Sue awakens and learns that there is no place like home, and the time-worn cliché is suddenly vital and alive. Like Dorothy, she is once again back in "Kansas," but it is a Kansas in which the characters, and she herself, have assumed new depths of meaning. She is now ready to step into her fate--her new enriched life (and there are also nuances of "It's a Wonderful Life" in the film).

One last comment: nowadays, I cannot watch this "comedy" without tears in my eyes through pretty much the whole movie, and much of this effect is due to the masterful performance of Kathleen Turner as Peggy Sue. Turner is usually on the hysterical edge of breaking down, and her proximity to the precipice is a knot in my gut through the whole movie. It is a shame that she did not win the Best Actress award for this performance.
23 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Very Special Movie
Idocamstuf19 May 2005
Every time I see this film, it leaves me thinking about it for days. The subject of time travel is a fascinating subject and this is the only non sci-fi film that I can think of that revolves around the subject. Kathleen Turner is wonderful as the 40-something year old mother of two who is in the process of getting divorced from her husband(Nicolas Cage), but gets hurled 25 years into the past when she passes out at her high school reunion. This is a truly touching film about going back in time and being able to experience your youth and priceless times that you will never be able to experience again. One of the most touching scenes is when Peggy Sue gets a call from her long dead Grandmother and doesn't know what to do or say. Also, be sure to watch out for some very early bits from Joan Allen, Jim Carrey, and Helen Hunt. ***1/2 out of ****.
38 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Does "nature" or "nurture" determine our future??
TxMike3 August 2001
In the 1986 film, "Peggy Sue Got Married", a question is asked during the 25-year class reunion, and Peggy Sue answers, "If I knew what I know now, I'd do it a lot differently." So, she faints, her heart stops, and she wakes up in 1960, with a chance to do it all over again. Would she still get pregnant at 18 and marry Charlie, who grows up to be a cheating husband, bringing her much misery?

She seems to try hard to do it differently. She spends lots of time with Richard, the high school geek, helping him understand the types of things that will come - man on the moon by 1969, pantyhose, small computers, large radios! She asks, "Is time travel possible?" He says, "Time is like a burrito, folds over on itself." She laughs when her father brings home a new Edsel. Richard says, "Change your destiny, marry me." "No", she says, "Peggy Sue got married, and that's it." (Thus the title of the film.)

Later, when Peggy Sue wakes up in 1985 again, in the hospital, we must ask ourselves, was this just a dream? No, it wasn't, because Charlie shows her a book classmate Michael had given her, a book he wrote, that he dedicated to her, based on a one magical night they had together, which had not happened the first time through. During the "dream", she had suggested he write a book based on that night.

Thus, the movie answers, at least for Peggy Sue, the question of doing it all over again. In the end, she still did the same thing, but the future somehow looked brighter for her and Charlie. The right conclusion, I think, because it has become well-established that "nature" is more important than "nurture" in forming our adult tendencies.

It was fun seeing all the fine actors, most before their prime. Of course Kathleen Turner (Peggy Sue) was already established at age 32, with hits like Body Heat (81), Romancing The Stone (84), and Prizzi's Honor (85) on her resume'. Nick Cage (real name Nick Coppola), who plays Charlie, was 22 and in his 9th film, but the first with a featured role. Jim Carrey was only 24, still 8 years before he was noticed with Ace Ventura, Mask, and Dumb/Dumber films, all in 1994.

Joan Allen was an old 30, playing a high schooler, in her first theatrical film, and 9 years before her defining role in Nixon as Pat. Helen Hunt, Peggy Sue's daughter, was 23 and already in her 28th film, 3 years after Quarterback Princess, but 6 years before the hit TV series, Mad About You. And then there was Sofia Coppola, 15, who played Peggy Sue's little sister, in her 7th film. Had she either been attractive, or a good actress, she might not have become a director (Virgin Suicides, Lost In Translation).

I was a teenager in the 60s, and this film for me is nostalgic, especially hearing all the original songs from that time. My only complaint about the movie is Nick Cage's voice. Something about it at age 22 made it very irritating to listen to. Now that he has grown up, I find his voice much more pleasant. Had he not been the director's nephew, I doubt that he would have gotten the role of Charlie. Overall I rate this one "8" of 10. I like it a lot.
35 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Oh, Ma...Chanel No.5 Always Makes Me Think Of Home" - Peggy Sue
Blooeyz200111 August 2002
What a great movie! Originally intended for Debra Winger, but Kathleen Turner is wonderful as the title character Peggy Sue. It's a time-travel movie about a 42 year old woman who gets transported back in time to high school (circa early 1960's). Who wouldn't love an opportunity like that, not to mention being 18 again?? My favorite scene is when she walks back into her house, & sees her mom young again, while that beautiful music plays on the soundtrack. It's so touching & heartfelt. This movie has it all. Great acting, comedy, drama, fantasy, & a good story. Nicholas Cage can get annoying at times, but he felt this was the best way to portray his character (Charlie). He gets to "sing" in this movie too ("He Don't Love You"). Look for a very early performance by Jim Carrey. The cast also includes Helen Hunt & Catherine Hicks (the mom on the TV show "7th Heaven").
13 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Essential Time Travel movie
mrw87 December 2007
This has to be the only female lead time travel movie in history. Men and boys have dominated this premise since H.G Wells, but Kathleen Turner takes it back following the success of 1985's Back to the Future. Turner looks like a hot mom and then a hot high school senior. How is that possible? Casting and probably some fairly rigorous exercising. Nick Cage really is a youngster who looks more 18 than 40. But the story is all about Peggy Sue and the strange situation she finds herself in as she relives her 1960 senior year and gets the benefit of perfect hindsight. I think all will agree that the scenes with Peggy Sue's grandparents (who are of course long dead to the 40 year old Peggy Sue) are very touching. It's inconceivable that a film marketed for a teen audience would include these scenes. Just the mention of grandparents to a 15 year old is enough to get them heading the other direction. But even when I watched this as a 15 year old I was moved. Only an adult would truly appreciate the wisdom of their elders. But by the time we are adults our grandparents are gone. It's as true as the sky is blue. But Peggy Sue gets to take advantage of her time travel and seeks her grandparents out. The brilliance of the writing is apparent as the grandparents end up playing an important role in the plot and general moral of the story. Imagine that! There are a few gimmicks in the script such as the Beatles song and Hemingway references and the Edsel car, but these are minor. The bulk of the story is firmly planted in Peggy Sue's ability to change her 17 year old decisions based on 25 years of disappointments.

So she isn't actually going back in time (occupying the same space as her 18 year old self) as actually RELIVING the past with the memories of her adult self. There is a big difference. She's got the experiences of a 43 year old woman but is now in the body of her 18 year old self.

But Francis Ford Coppola gets the credit for absolutely brilliant directing. From the opening mirror shot to the closing mirror shot his framing and editing choices are superlative. They are miles apart from what most directors were doing in 1986. This guy is a genius with the camera. There are so many cinematic references in here I can't begin to name them all. Charlie's spooky shadow a'la Lon Chaney as he sneaks up to Peggy Sue's bedroom is one that stands out. And check out the shadows in the Physics Lab. That's no accident.

Make no mistake about this movie, it is a real work of art. The premise is not as serious as Apocalypse Now but the execution is just as direct and effortless. That's what strikes me about this movie every time I watch it: Much effort went into the execution of these scenes even though the scenes themselves don't merit much effort. We're talking about kids at a party singing Doo Wop songs. Why go through the bother of blocking and multiple takes and multiple angles? This is marketed for children and Coppola is spending production dollars. But I'll be darned if Turner didn't get nominated for an Oscar for this role. Give Coppola the credit for not making a disposable movie.

The score is employed well and the attention to details pays off on an emotional level. Turner isn't weak because she ultimately can't go through with her radical changes, she basically surrenders to a destiny that she can't escape from. Her children will only exist through her decision to stay with Charlie. Her surrender is what ultimately sets her free. But did she actually relive her life? Or was it a dream? You can speculate either way. The important thing is the lessons she learned from her experience. It can be summed up in one word: Strudel. This is one of the few movies that is guaranteed to make me cry.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
fascinating and funny
wutisay23 January 2005
This movie has a lot going for it. First, there's a superb acting by both Turner and Cage. Both embody the 60s. The cars, settings and attitudes are fully representative of the era and bring back memories of a seemingly simpler time. But, in this movie, things are complicated by the culture of a later period. I found this movie enjoyable and thought-provoking. It is fun, also, to see Jim Carrey in what must have been his first (or nearly so) role. The mannerisms and cartoonish characteristics that would make him a super-star are evident. In this movie there is character, with one theme about how people treat others, especially thoise of us with personality or other challenges. Good stuff.
23 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Makes You Think, "What If......"
ccthemovieman-131 January 2008
I can't remember anybody who didn't like this movie when it came out just over 20 years ago. It was very popular, and justifiably so. It had a lot of charm to it and romance, comedy and time-travel seem to be a good mixture.

Also, it had an intriguing premise and made us think about it. If you could go back in time, knowing what you know now, would you do it and what would you do? I'm not talking short periods like in "Groundhog Day" (which was done seven years after this film) but if you could do it ALL over, from a certain point, like high school. Anyway, it's fun to think about.

Nicholas Cage and Kathleen Turner were fun to watch. If you view this film today, be prepared to be shocked how young Cage - and Jim Carrey - look in here. Turner isn't so shocking only because today we don't see her in films regularly as we do those two guys. In fact, Turner was a big star in the '80s and most people remember her looks from that period, beginning with "Body Heat" (1981). She is the star of this film, too.

When I last watched this, in the late 1990s, I found it wasn't as good as I remembered, but it still has a lot of charm and sentiment to it. It's nothing super, but it is more-than-decent entertainment. It helps to be fascinated by time travel, which I am.

I had forgotten this was a Francis Ford Cappola-directed film, which is a bit of a shock because most of us associate him with "The Godfather" films and "Apocalypse Now," not some fantasy-romance-comedy. However, it comes together a little more when you realize Cage was his son. Cappola also finds a small role in here for his young daughter Sophia.

If you are a film buff, you'll be shocked at all the familiar faces in this movie, from veteran actors like John Carradine to a young Helen Hunt. Check out the names in this cast! If you haven't seen this film, you owe it to yourself. I'm not saying it's terrific, but it's definitely worth your while not just for the actors but the thought-provoking subject matter.
27 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A fun film!
miken-324 January 2005
In this time travel spin a woman (Peggy Sue) at her high school reunion has a heart attack and while lingering between life and death, is transported back in time to her high school days. Peggy Sue knowing that her boyfriend Charlie will turn out rotten after she marries him, is determined not to repeat the same mistakes of the past. Peggy Sue tries to distance herself from Charlie and has an affair with a rebel/philosopher student to try to change things. While doing this she learns about Charlie that she never knew and ends up falling in love with him all over again.

I really enjoyed this film and it shows that Peggy Sue with all her future knowledge and superior attitude is still unable to change what originally occurred.
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A great film about love and life
FordPrefect-425 November 2006
If you have seen Back to the Future (1985) you may think this Francis Ford Coppola film is a bit of a knock-off, at least that's what I thought. But then I watched it. The beginning is fairly normal, Peggy Sue (Kathleen Turner) goes to her high school reunion and is complemented by her peers, even though she feels her life is a wreck because of her cheating husband. She wishes she could "go back and do things differently", and when she wins the title of class queen, she faints, and wakes up in 1960.

She soon realizes she actually does have the chance to make some changes in her life, and starts out trying to break up with her boyfriend whom she will marry in the future, Charlie Bodell, played by Nicolas Cage. But she keeps falling for him, even though she experiments with going out with the town poet, treats the class nerd better and asks for his help in getting back to her time, and tries to develop a better relationship with her sister.

In the end, she gets back to her time to realize not much has changed, and she ended up marrying Charlie. But now she realizes she can't go back and merely fix her past problems, she needs to work them out with herself and her family.

The entire film is very entertaining and feels a bit like Back to the Future, only less flashy and more serious. I enjoyed all of it, but a part near the end, involving Peggy Sue's grandfather and his lodge friends sending her to 1986, is very strange and a bit out of place. All of the actors do a great job with their roles, Kathleen Turner received an Oscar nomination, but I think Nicolas Cage does the best job. It's hard to tell if his character is genuinely in love with Peggy Sue, or if it is just a teenage infatuation, but in the end he tells her how much he wants them to work things out. Some people may find his voice strange and annoying, but I found it at times funny and sad, and it made his character seem just like the adolescent he is. He gives a truly Oscar worthy performance.

Overall, Peggy Sue Got married is an excellent drama with some great comedic moments. Francis Ford Coppola deserves credit for taking a story that could have been a rip-off of Back to the Future and turns it into a great story about love and life. I highly recommend this film and hope it becomes a bit more well known.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This movie just keeps getting better and better
bs12278211 November 1999
Kathleen Turner has never been better than she was in those 1986 film. A much more touching time travel film than Back to the Future -- Turner's character (an unhappy middle-aged woman) has the chance to re-live her high school days and do things differently only to end up making the same mistakes she made before. Turner is a gifted comedienne who has the ability to convey the pathos underneath the comedic layer.

Nicholas Cage is grating at first but the character grows on you after awhile. A then unknown Jim Carrey has a small role as does Joan Allen.

Francis Coppola may have just been a director-for-hire on this film but he is never an uninteresting director. Look closely he adds many small touches to the film. I especially liked a scene where Barbara Harris (as Peggy Sue's mother) is having her jewelry appraised when Peggy Sue walks into the house. Mom lies to Peggy Sue and tells her the man is taking an election poll then tells Peggy Sue she will vote Democratic in 1960. The scene is never explained any further but it is interesting to note that 1960 was the very beginning of the women's movement. Perhaps Mrs. Kelcher is beginning to see that there is a life outside of being a housewife and mother. She wants to but is afraid to assert her independence. Hence the jewelry appraiser. Since Mrs. Kelcher has no skills outside of the house it is comforting for her to know that should it come to it she would be able to support herself temporarily by selling her jewelry. Her nest egg so to speak should she decide to leave the nest.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Kathleen Turner's Comment Right On the Mark
mercuryix-124 January 2008
I wondered why I didn't like Peggy Sue Got Married more than I did, when it first came out in 1986, with all the hype. Somehow I found Nic Cage's character off-putting. Way off-putting. Then the plot didn't seem to make sense. Then by the end of the credits, the question came to mind: What point was this movie making? What was it saying? The answer, unfortunately, was not much, if anything. I really don't think this movie aimed at making a statement; unless it was "your life is your life, you're gonna make the same mistakes no matter what, so keep your eye upon the doughnut, and not the hole". Not a very profound statement, and I'm sorry, not profoundly made in this movie. The writing simply isn't that good. The direction is uneven, and is strangely overblown at times. Kathleen Turner was the best, and in my opinion, only worthwhile thing in this movie, and performed something of a miracle creating a whole character despite bizarre, unexplained circumstances, with a script that had no apparent statement to make.

She also finally cleared up the mystery for me of the main reason I didn't enjoy this movie more. She states in her autobiography that Cage made a point of fighting his uncle Coppola's direction every step of the way, doing it "his own way" (not a good idea for a new actor), and putting on a goofy voice she called "stupid". His voice was annoying, abrasive and unnatural, and his character was obnoxious and overbearing as a young guy. I understand what he was attempting to do: play a young-guy "hot shot" who is not as hot as he thinks he is, setting up his own karma for future failure. But he goes overboard, the way he does it is abrasive, not effective, and if he had listened to his uncle instead of "fighting the Man", we would have had a more enjoyable film. Cage slips a little with his obnoxious voice stylings in the movie and occasionally sounds like a real person, and those scenes are more watchable than others. But if I had to watch the movie through in its entirety, I would find myself wanting to pay someone in L.A. to pour a bucket of water over his head during some of his more affected (put-on) scenes.

The movie doesn't aim for a statement, doesn't make a point, is great to look at except when Cage is doing a demented Elvis impression (but without the voice), and is, ultimately, confusing and a waste of time. Given all this, Kathleen Turner surely deserved an Oscar in this flailing mess of a movie. I can't recommend anyone spending two hours watching this, unless you like Turner and have a remote to pick out all her scenes. Believe me, you will miss nothing plotwise by skipping the other scenes, and it will make just as much sense.

Kathleen Turner is getting a lot of flak from critics regarding her Cage comments, which proves that she's strong enough to be honest, and to hell with other people's comments. You go, Turner! I'm not particularly a fan of this actress any more than I am of any other first-rate actor or actress, but her candor is refreshing. Cage's acting can be good to annoying, and here it doesn't work. At least, in this film, now we know why.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Time Travel with Peggy Sue!
victorianezine13 January 2008
A woman (PEGGY SUE) whose husband just left her for some younger woman, goes to her high school reunion, faints, but ends up 25 years earlier in time with friend, family, and her philandering husband as high school boyfriend-in 1960 high school! Should she break up with her teen boyfriend-and change her future? Should she run off with the mysterious beatnik poet??? Or,

should she just stay in 1960 and discover the Beatles early, invent pantyhose, and make lots of money?

I LOVED watching this movie because I remember 1960 as a little kid. My BABYSITTERS (and their boyfriends)---some older cousins, some younger aunts/ uncles - talked and acted like these 1960 pre Beatles and early Rock & Roll teens in PEGGY SUE GOT MARRIED.

Who does Peggy Sue see in 1960???

The girls in ponytails, shirtwaist dresses, plaid "pedalpusher" shorts (not recommended for women with a larger "mom butt" but cute on teens), transistor radios, big plastic pointy cornered eyeglasses...the boys with ducktail haircuts, white sox and penny loafers - her own YOUNGER looking parents, her currently ESTRANGED husband as her teen adoring boyfriend...and...

• the long dead but still loved - GRANDPARENTS whom Peggy Sue will go to for help in leaving 1960- so Peggy Sue can return to to her future, her kids and - her repentant HUSBAND.

************** Buddy Holly, an early Rock and Roll teen idol, wrote and performed the title song "Peggy Sue" back in 1960. A fun nostalgic film.

Turner's character has that bit of mature woman's lite cynicism which keeps this film from getting sentimental

EXCEPT where she is comforted by her grandparents. There she doesn't act as a teen, but is the middle aged woman asking her long dead (but still loved) grandparents for advice!

A kind of women's Back to the Future but with no DeLorean needed.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Back to the Future "Romance"
canadianct11022 September 2007
I consider Peggy Sue Got Married as one of the all time great movies. Kathleen Turner and Nicholas Cage both do a superb job in this one. The Orchestra Music, I believe was by John Barry was also wonderful. Reminded me of the kind of great music in "Out of Africa" and even a one song in "Doc Hollywood". It really moves you and you'll never forget where you first heard the songs. The main theme is "Peggy Sue's Homecoming", or is it "Somewhere in Time" by John Barry; its one or the other, for sure . I wish that Hollywood would bring out more shows like this...some romance, nostalgia, no real violence, no swearing AND yet it was a hit! Wonderful! I must admit that I'm a nostalgia fan and movies like this one, all the back to the future shows have me fascinated. Perhaps it's because we often find ourselves daydreaming of the good old days and simpler times...far removed from the hectic pace of today. Heck, I even love watching reruns of the Waltons! I would highly recommend this movie to everyone...cozy up to your TV with a good friend, make some popcorn, put a fire on and ENJOY! How could anyone NOT love this movie!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A very good film made better by the exquisite Kathleen Turner
wfisher9 July 2003
Having now seen the film on its Australian release and then bi-annually since its release on video, for me, I believe the film has stood the test of time. Yes, it's great to see Cage, Hunt et al in one of their earlier movies but for me, Turner was, as usual, wonderful and elevated the film considerably. I cheered for her on Oscars night as I felt she'd already been unfairly denied a "gong" for Crimes of Passion". The woman is not only beautiful, she can act. Her stage experience is obvious. I'll stop now before I get carried away.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of my favorite movies of all time!
chrisuab6 February 2003
This movie is definitely in my top ten. One reason is Kathleen Turner's acting. She does a wonderful job throughout the movie, even though she may look older than a teenager when she goes back in time. (However, have you noticed how teenagers in high school through the years look younger and younger? My mom's high school yearbook appears to be filled with 30 year olds.) Another reason I love the movie is that it makes my brain ponder on what I would do if I could go back to high school. Peggy revisiting her young mother, seeing her baby sister, and being able to see her grandparents again one last time is just a beautiful thing in itself. I guess I just like reminiscing about my childhood, which is probably why I like this movie. (Even though I'm a child of the 80's.) Very few things bother me in this movie. And no, it's not Nicolas Cage's accent! That didn't bother me that much. :) It was the fact that Peggy's son Scott is not seen in the movie, but is mentioned several times by Peggy and a character for Scott Bodell is in the credits at the end of the movie. Also, at the reunion, Rosalee, the girl in the wheelchair responsible for inviting people to the reunion and close friend of Peggy's, is also not seen in the time travel back scenes. I wish the DVD had some deleted scenes that may explain these disappearances. But to end this review on a good note, the soundtrack was superb as well! The music is just beautiful and is one of my favorite movie scores to date. Way to go John Barry! I recommend this to anyone who thinks about going to a high school reunion or wishes they could go back in time to do some things differently.
No More Jello...?
alexandraslate2 November 2002
This movie is a classic.

But like several of the other reviewers, I agree that more care and thought should have been taken with several elements of this film. Nic Cage, although a great actor, is I believe totally miscast as Charlie. He's too young to bring the maturity necessary to pull off this part the way that Kathleen Turner did. To make up for his lack of experience, he gives his character a gratingly irritating voice that takes the viewers attention away from the performance. He has a decent singing voice though. I also agree that the scene where her grandfather and his cronies try to send her back to the future with a bizarre incantation is unnecessary, and way too far fetched even considering the subject matter we're dealing with here.

Still it's a fun and interestingly different take on the usual comedy, and definetly worth seeing at least once. It has some great one-liners in there..."No More Jello For Me Mom" was really great.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"If I Knew then What I know now, I would do a lot of things differently!"
mz829 May 2000
"Peggy Sue Got Married" is a time travel movie you wish you could actually do. Who wouldn't want to go back to high school and change at least something. This movie has so many scenes that touch your heart, such as Peggy seeing her old room again after 25 years. Visiting her grandparents who she hasn't see for a long time! Seeing her children in her Locket and knowing Charlie is worth it, and that she really does love him! Kathleen Turner is outstanding in this movie! She really does make you believe she is a teenager and an adult at the same time! Turner and the rest of the great cast really do make this movie one of the best movies of all time. After watching it you'll really start to think "If I knew then what I know now, I would do a lot of things differently!"
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A wonderful film with a relatively simple but very effective premise
GusF29 December 2014
I saw this film for the first time two or three years ago and was decidedly underwhelmed. However, as with "The Dark Crystal" and "The Lady Vanishes", I adored it on the second viewing. Kathleen Turner is excellent in the title role, playing the world weary 43-year-old Peggy Sue who finds herself in the body of her 17-year-old self to perfection. Nicolas Cage, the nephew of the director Francis Ford Coppola, is every bit her equal as her future husband Charlie. This is a very successful example of nepotism, something for which the Coppola family is well known. In recent years, he's become almost a parody of himself and has starred in some awful films but this is one of his best ones.

The film has a very strong supporting cast with the exception of Sofia Coppola, a less successful example of nepotism. What's really interesting about it is that it features three actors (Cage, Jim Carrey and Joan Allen) near the beginning of their careers who went on to bigger things in major or supporting roles and lovely cameos from three elderly actors (Leon Ames in his final film, Maureen O'Sullivan and John Carradine) at or near the end of theirs. Coincidentally, I've seen the latter three in films from the 1930s and/or 1940s in the last few weeks so it's fascinating to see them in later life.

The premise of the film is relatively simple but it's extraordinarily effective, extremely relatable and timeless. We all wonder what it would be like to live our lives over again knowing what we do now and we all wish that we could see dead parents, grandparents, etc. so we can tell them how much we love them and miss them. I'd give anything to see my grandparents again.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very cool movie
Minted_Lamb23 January 2007
A very cool movie, though a bit slow in places, both for guys & dolls; another movie worth a look. Nicolas Cage was wrongly cast as the hunk interest, he looks & sings for all the world like an American Idol filler-act. Other than this the movie is very enjoyable to watch on ones own, with that special partner or even a girls-night in.

One of a number of time-travel movies PSGM leaves the primary character initially confused with being aware of both the past, in which they are now living, & the future they have apparently left; 13 Going On 30 is a much better example scoring a perfect 10.

PSGM holds together well for an old movie & should form part of your DVD collection.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
are u drunk? just a lil.
uga_baby_1325 June 2006
it starts off Peggy sue is fixing to get a divorce from her high school sweetheart because he started having affiars. her and her daughter are going to her 25th high school reunion and during it she passes out when she wakes up she in 1960 (the year she graduated). and then Charlie (husband) comes in and she trys to get away from him as soon as she can. and she enjoys a day at school and then goes to her girlfriends party with Charlie and finds him cute and charming. and she realizes she didn't know him as good as she thought she did. she also helps the school geek with inventions such as pantyhose, big radios, and so forth. in the end she realizes her 2 kids are her and Charlie and the marriage was worth it. this is a touching movie like when she hears her grandmother and when she sees her sister. my favorite parts was when she got drunk, when Charlie is singing, and when she wants to have sex. i love how Charlie is so in love and isn't gonna give up on her. don't we all wish we could find a guy like that! lol i mean i could watch this movie all day long. its a movie for all ages and if you like back to the future and movies like that you will love this! and its really great seeing all the now famous stars such as Joan Allen and Catherine hicks just starting out. and Nick cage and kathreen turner are great in this movie this wouldn't have been so good with out them. i find it amazing a 30 something can play a 42 year old and a 17 year old! one of my top 5 i don't see why it isn't a classic!!
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this