IMDb > Peggy Sue Got Married (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Peggy Sue Got Married

Peggy Sue Got Married More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

One of my favorite movies of all time!

Author: chrisuab from Birmingham, AL
6 February 2003

This movie is definitely in my top ten. One reason is Kathleen Turner's acting. She does a wonderful job throughout the movie, even though she may look older than a teenager when she goes back in time. (However, have you noticed how teenagers in high school through the years look younger and younger? My mom's high school yearbook appears to be filled with 30 year olds.) Another reason I love the movie is that it makes my brain ponder on what I would do if I could go back to high school. Peggy revisiting her young mother, seeing her baby sister, and being able to see her grandparents again one last time is just a beautiful thing in itself. I guess I just like reminiscing about my childhood, which is probably why I like this movie. (Even though I'm a child of the 80's.) Very few things bother me in this movie. And no, it's not Nicolas Cage's accent! That didn't bother me that much. :) It was the fact that Peggy's son Scott is not seen in the movie, but is mentioned several times by Peggy and a character for Scott Bodell is in the credits at the end of the movie. Also, at the reunion, Rosalee, the girl in the wheelchair responsible for inviting people to the reunion and close friend of Peggy's, is also not seen in the time travel back scenes. I wish the DVD had some deleted scenes that may explain these disappearances. But to end this review on a good note, the soundtrack was superb as well! The music is just beautiful and is one of my favorite movie scores to date. Way to go John Barry! I recommend this to anyone who thinks about going to a high school reunion or wishes they could go back in time to do some things differently.

No More Jello...?

Author: Alexandra Slate (alexandraslate@hotmail.com) from Virginia, U.S.
2 November 2002

This movie is a classic.

But like several of the other reviewers, I agree that more care and thought should have been taken with several elements of this film. Nic Cage, although a great actor, is I believe totally miscast as Charlie. He's too young to bring the maturity necessary to pull off this part the way that Kathleen Turner did. To make up for his lack of experience, he gives his character a gratingly irritating voice that takes the viewers attention away from the performance. He has a decent singing voice though. I also agree that the scene where her grandfather and his cronies try to send her back to the future with a bizarre incantation is unnecessary, and way too far fetched even considering the subject matter we're dealing with here.

Still it's a fun and interestingly different take on the usual comedy, and definetly worth seeing at least once. It has some great one-liners in there..."No More Jello For Me Mom" was really great.

"If I Knew then What I know now, I would do a lot of things differently!"

Author: (mz8@mail.csuchico.edu) from California
29 May 2000

"Peggy Sue Got Married" is a time travel movie you wish you could actually do. Who wouldn't want to go back to high school and change at least something. This movie has so many scenes that touch your heart, such as Peggy seeing her old room again after 25 years. Visiting her grandparents who she hasn't see for a long time! Seeing her children in her Locket and knowing Charlie is worth it, and that she really does love him! Kathleen Turner is outstanding in this movie! She really does make you believe she is a teenager and an adult at the same time! Turner and the rest of the great cast really do make this movie one of the best movies of all time. After watching it you'll really start to think "If I knew then what I know now, I would do a lot of things differently!"

Sweet, sentimental, and tripping all over itself. Misses beat after beat.

Author: secondtake from United States
9 September 2010

Peggy Sue Got Married (1986)

There is something fanciful and lighter than air about the intentions here, with a strain of something else very serious. And I respect a director (Francis Ford Coppola) trying to find a new airiness and unreality in this photographically real medium, especially with resorting to outward fancy. On the outside, this is a realistic film with acting meant to be at least as real as a good soap opera. And I mean that in a pertinent way...it is over the top interpersonal drama, and improbable.

So what goes wrong? I think that might be definable by some doctoral student, and it's some combination of editing, which is either awkward or merely functional, and the basic story itself, which is stretched thin over two hours. Other movies play with an existential trip while winking, but they keep the mind-bending part of the problem changing and moving, and that doesn't happen here.

The final nail in the coffin is the weak acting, even from Nicholas Cage (Coppola's nephew). At times it seems it's supposed to be farcical and comic booky, but it isn't quite plastic or silly or believable enough to work. The one exception is the very real and compelling lead, Peggy Sue, played by Kathleen Turner.

The biggest bummer is that it's such a sweet idea, such a wistful, wishful idea, and it just doesn't fly.

are u drunk? just a lil.

Author: uga_baby_13 from United States
25 June 2006

it starts off Peggy sue is fixing to get a divorce from her high school sweetheart because he started having affiars. her and her daughter are going to her 25th high school reunion and during it she passes out when she wakes up she in 1960 (the year she graduated). and then Charlie (husband) comes in and she trys to get away from him as soon as she can. and she enjoys a day at school and then goes to her girlfriends party with Charlie and finds him cute and charming. and she realizes she didn't know him as good as she thought she did. she also helps the school geek with inventions such as pantyhose, big radios, and so forth. in the end she realizes her 2 kids are her and Charlie and the marriage was worth it. this is a touching movie like when she hears her grandmother and when she sees her sister. my favorite parts was when she got drunk, when Charlie is singing, and when she wants to have sex. i love how Charlie is so in love and isn't gonna give up on her. don't we all wish we could find a guy like that! lol i mean i could watch this movie all day long. its a movie for all ages and if you like back to the future and movies like that you will love this! and its really great seeing all the now famous stars such as Joan Allen and Catherine hicks just starting out. and Nick cage and kathreen turner are great in this movie this wouldn't have been so good with out them. i find it amazing a 30 something can play a 42 year old and a 17 year old! one of my top 5 i don't see why it isn't a classic!!

underrated and destined to be a classic

Author: marc from United States
13 June 1999

Peggy Sue Got Married is one of those movies that did okay when it first was released and got generally positive reviews. Today it shows up, occasionally on the Comedy Channel which is ironic because the movie has more tears than laughter. It tells the story of a middle age woman who mysteriously, travels back in time, to her high school days where she attempts not to make the same mistake twice, i.e. marry her high school sweetheart and end up with an unhappy marriage.The movie never fails to bring me to tears in its poignant moments as Peggy Sue revisits her past- an early scene in which she speaks to her long dead grandmother on the phone is heartbreaking as is the scene in which she begs her soon -to-be husband, to give up his dreams of being a rock and roll singer because it will bring him grown up frustration and disappointment. The movie connects into feelings about mistakes and choices we make in life that make us who we are. Turner's performance is easily her best and even Nicholas Cage's performance which was criticized heavily at the time, grows on you(he is attempting to create a character who is sometimes silly and unlikeable and it sometimes throws the film into a different direction). Many critics disparage this as one of Francis Coppoloa's movies for hire- i.e. not a personal film. For me, "Peggy Sue" is one of his triumphs. The tears and emotions it evokes are well earned and the truths it plucks from the human condition are well worth exploring.

Kathleen Turner Got Stuck in a Bad Movie

Author: evanston_dad from United States
6 May 2008

Did Francis Ford Coppola have a brain aneurysm some time after directing "Apocalypse Now" that made him absolutely incapable of making a good movie?

You have to wonder what the director of "The Godfather" and "The Conversation" was thinking when he made this flabby film. It gives Kathleen Turner a starring vehicle, playing a woman who travels back in time and gets to redo her adolescence knowing all of the things that life as an adult has taught her, and Turner, the trooper that she is, does what she can with it, but this movie couldn't be saved by anyone.

It doesn't even have any style to it, and, given its director, one would expect that even if it had nothing else, it would have that.

Grade: C-

Fun idea. (spoilers)

Author: Pepper Anne from Orlando, Florida
10 March 2005

Fans of the time traveler genre and the teen comedy might enjoy this Copola-directed comedy. Kathleen Turner plays a middle-aged newly divorced mother attending her high school Reunion. After an unexpected collapse, she wakes up in the 1960s and is teenage Peggy Sue all over again, except that she knows everything that she knew in the future. What at first seems like an incredibly awkward dream (especially if you have to repeat all of the silliness of your high school years), turns out to be much more. She solicits the help of high school brain, Richard (Barry Miller) to help find a way to get her back. In the meantime, her reunion with the past allows her to change her future. (Yeah, one of those...).

Though often a hilarious comedy, it may be one well suited for older audiences, since the tackiness of both the middle-age attendees of their 1980s high school reunion and their 1960s teenage counterparts may seem cheesy to your modern teenager (which will, probably, in turn seem cheesy to future generations). But, still, the movie offers good laughs mostly from Turner. Look for a very young Sophia Copola as Peggy Sue's younger sister, in addition to many familiar and some then-unfamiliar faces (Jim Carrey) in supporting roles.

A wonderful film with a relatively simple but very effective premise

Author: GusF from Ireland
29 December 2014

I saw this film for the first time two or three years ago and was decidedly underwhelmed. However, as with "The Dark Crystal" and "The Lady Vanishes", I adored it on the second viewing. Kathleen Turner is excellent in the title role, playing the world weary 43-year-old Peggy Sue who finds herself in the body of her 17-year-old self to perfection. Nicolas Cage, the nephew of the director Francis Ford Coppola, is every bit her equal as her future husband Charlie. This is a very successful example of nepotism, something for which the Coppola family is well known. In recent years, he's become almost a parody of himself and has starred in some awful films but this is one of his best ones.

The film has a very strong supporting cast with the exception of Sofia Coppola, a less successful example of nepotism. What's really interesting about it is that it features three actors (Cage, Jim Carrey and Joan Allen) near the beginning of their careers who went on to bigger things in major or supporting roles and lovely cameos from three elderly actors (Leon Ames in his final film, Maureen O'Sullivan and John Carradine) at or near the end of theirs. Coincidentally, I've seen the latter three in films from the 1930s and/or 1940s in the last few weeks so it's fascinating to see them in later life.

The premise of the film is relatively simple but it's extraordinarily effective, extremely relatable and timeless. We all wonder what it would be like to live our lives over again knowing what we do now and we all wish that we could see dead parents, grandparents, etc. so we can tell them how much we love them and miss them. I'd give anything to see my grandparents again.

Wow, what a difference twenty five years can make!

Author: tomarx7 from United States
28 September 2011

The first time I saw this movie, I was very inexperienced, as far as relationships and everything else. The movie bugged me, I did'nt appreciate it at all. But tonight watching it as someone who has now lived through much of what Peggy Sue did, I totally enjoyed the movie. The main message of this movie is to live in the present, and not to think so much about the future. Unfortunately in our current world, we tend to think about the future too much, to the point of not living in the moment ever hardly. This is why this movie resonated with me so much this time around. But I did find it irksome how old everyone looked, most of the cast were well over twenty playing teens. But their performances were pretty good. I remember really not liking Nicholas Cage for around ten years after this movie, I found his nasally falsetto voice very irritating. Now days he is one of my favorite actors. He still seems to be pretty much a regular guy and that is a quality I think a lot of the stars lose pretty quickly after a certain amount of time at the top.

Page 3 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]