IMDb > One More Saturday Night (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

One More Saturday Night More at IMDbPro »

Another underrated film of the 1980s.

Author: jeffman52001 from Normal, IL, USA
15 July 2005

"One More Saturday Night" is a film that should have got more respect.It is a very funny movie, Al Franken and Tom Davis(both of Saturday Night Live) wrote the script to the film and starred in it. The movie really does have a lot of great moments in it and it has a great cast in it.

The movie is about a typical Saturday night in a small town. The story revolves around some teenagers who have a really wild night, one teen is hoping to score with his girlfriend, another teen is babysitting for a couple, her boyfriend ends up having a party at the house. A teen thief who ends up becoming a burglar goes to break in a house with his fellow female friend, but he develops a conscience and decides to take the stuff back to the house. A man who goes out on a date with a woman both make out in the back seat of the car. Two members of a rock band called "Bad Mouth" are hoping to get laid.

The movie really has a lot of funny moments and I give it 2 thumbs up, Al Franken and Tom Davis who wrote and appeared on "Saturday Night Live" did an awesome job with the film.

One More Saturday Night is a nice showcase for writers/stars Al Franken & Tom Davis

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
2 June 2010

Having first heard of this movie when writer/star Al Franken plugged it on "Weekend Update" on "Saturday Night Live" during the season finale in 1986, I had long been curious about it and just now watched it on the Crackle site. He and partner Tom Davis play the leading members of rock band Badmouth who stop at St. Cloud, Minnesota, for a gig while various teenagers in town have their own adventures during one Saturday night. I'll stop there and just say that as the authors, Franken & Davis give nuanced style to the situations and characterizations that gradually takes one to heights of hilarity as the narrative goes on before once again going back to the subtler route. So don't expect the wacky hijinks of a Caddyshack or Wayne's World here. Which means the R-rating is mostly for a few scenes of the f-word being said. So on that note, I highly recommend One More Saturday Night. P.S. While Meshach Taylor is the only other cast member I recognized in name and face having watched "Designing Women" a lot, I had watched "China Beach" during the early seasons but was unaware that the woman who played Cherry there-Nan Woods-was Diane here. Besides her, other natives of my birthtown of Chicago that appeared here include Frank Howard, Nina Siemaszko, Mike Hagerty, and Nathan Davis who also died there (as did Second City veteran Del Close who played Mr. Schneider/Large Tattooed Man here). Oh, and much of the movie was shot around my birthtown.

Tom Davis, RIP

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
28 August 2012

SNL's Tom Davis recently passed away. He was known for his collaborations with Al Franken. While their SNL stuff was their most famous work (as well as an appearance in "Trading Places" as the luggage handlers), another collaboration was this 1986 comedy about a band performing in St. Cloud, Minnesota. The band's arrival is more of a conduit for a series of crazy events throughout the town, as the teenagers get into all sorts of mischief. In that sense, the movie does seem a little disjointed, but the crazy stuff that the different characters do makes up for that. "One More Saturday Night" isn't really anything special, but still OK. I bet that no one predicted that one of the cast members would one day get elected to the US Senate.

Best Teen Flick Ever!!!!!!

Author: j-crabbe-1 from Eugene Oregon
17 May 2005

This movie has gone virtually unseen and what a crime that is. The movie is hilarious and stands to repeated viewings. You will catch all kinds of stuff the more you watch it. Like when the pesky little brother is watching "The Great Escape" on TV then enters his own hot pursuit on his ATV only to have it end as he gets close lined (literally) as does Mcqueen. A funny little know fact. The movie premiered in Marin County in 1986 and I was attending Sonoma State at the time. I knew someone that was attending the premiere of a movie that had something to do with Jerry Garcia called "One More Saturday Night". Well in the movie Franken and Davis are in a band and if you listen carefully, one of Tom Davis's guitar solos has a noticeable "punch in" with recognizable Jerry Garcia licks finishing it out. They Deadhead who saw the premiere was needless to say perplexed. We all know of the great work of Al Franken and here is hoping that Tom Davis gets "Hitting the Wall" or anything else made someday soon. Lets pray for a DVD although that seems unlikely unless it gets a cult following in China in 20yrs.

Atypical 80s party movie.

Author: AutumnTwin from Chicago, IL
24 July 2004

This is not your typical "kid at the high school party" type of movie like the title makes it sound. It follows the happenings of a few kids and their crazy adventure on one Saturday evening in St. Cloud, MN (actually filmed entirely in Illinois). Unfortunately, it didn't gain as much cult status as other movies of its time, but it's a great flick to catch if you can! Al Franken fans will love this rare glimpse of Franken in the role of a traveling band member! The characters are fun to follow and may remind you of people YOU may have gone to high school with and heard of THEIR antics while out on Saturday nights. It's available on VHS (who knows IF a DVD will come out or not...try eBay if you're having trouble finding a copy for your library)

Cute Movie!!

Author: MYKEL MARION (TULULAHMOON1985) from st.louis, mo
23 November 2001

I saw this movie when i was 12 and i loved it.I personally think this movie was one of most neglected 80's movies that ever hit the movie theater in 1986. I personally i find this movie very hilarious and fun.

Forget The Critics! This Movie Is Good (Okay..so I'm a critic too then).

Author: Scott (Scootman78) from Lakeland, FL USA
13 October 2001

First of all, if you read Leonard Maltin's review of this film...forget he wrote it. Leonard Maltin's been wrong about a lot of reviews, and this is one of them. In fact, you shouldn't trust any critic about any movie. Your eyes are the one watching the movie for your brain...not theirs. Ok, to finally get to my review of "One More Saturday Night": it is a good movie. The only thing you need to remember before watching it is that the movie takes place in a town in Minnesota, on one particular Saturday night. There are a few different plots to follow, but it's nothing that will confuse even the slowest viewer. The movie stars (although it doesn't freely admit it) Al Franken, best known for his work on Saturday Night Live and his political commentaries. He does a believable performance as a nerdy-like and very likable star of a band that's doing a stop-over for a gig in the town. Franken's character doesn't try to come off being too suave, nor does he do any over-acting at all in the movie. The rest of the stars also do a good part in making the movie go along. Best of all, the movie's jokes are funny. Sure it's a dumb kind of funny most of the time, but a laugh is a laugh. The bottom line is, as long as you aren't picky about your movies, this is the movie for you. It's re-playable too (you won't get sick of it the first time out...unless you're the picky type that I mentioned).