IMDb > Nomads (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Nomads

Nomads More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Some of the worst French accents you'll ever hear

Author: Nywildcat1 from United States
5 January 2012

"Nomads" really shouldn't be classified as a horror film, per se. I really consider it more of a Supernatural thriller since nothing horrific actually happens.

The movie starts off with Pierce Brosnan, who plays a French Anthropologist with the worst french accent this side of a grade school production, who winds up in the emergency room ranting and raving and dies while whispering something in Lesley Anne Down's ear, who plays the ER Doctor attending him. Her character going forward is pretty much used to tell his story leading up to his arrival in the ER in flashbacks, as it seems his spirit, or at the very least his memories, have taken her over.

Though somewhat enjoyable,this movie could have been a lot better than it actually was with a few retweakings. Lesley Anne Down's character was completely unnecessary and added nothing to the final story, even at the end. They would have been better off just telling the story from the moment Pierce Brosnan and his wife move into the house. Also, the horrible French accents used by Mr. Brosnan and Ms. Monticelli (who portrays his wife) are so horrible, it adds an unintentional comedic flair to the film. There doesn't seem to be any real reason as to why their characters had to be French, other than to have Lesley Anne Down's character utter some french words while in a delusional state (perhaps to give the appearance that she's possessed)? Or maybe to stretch Pierce Brosnan's acting wings (since he was still doing "Remington Steele" at the time as was not, as of yet, a big movie star).

However, a movie that shows Pierce Brosnan in a full frontal nude scene, that was completely gratuitous, can't be all bad. If anything, you have to give Mr. Brosnan some props for showing his junk during a time period when very few male actors would, especially television stars.

Underrated

Author: haildevilman from Tokyo, Japan
15 July 2006

An early McTiernan flick.

This is not the most coherent film, but at the same time, the pacing and frantic build-up more than make up for it.

The best scenes are when Brosnan's character suddenly realizes he's been following the Nomads for 30 hours and they haven't stopped to sleep once.

Then, when he's hiding in the dark alley, and trying to take pictures of No. 1, (Adam Ant) they make it clear they know, and knew all along, he's been watching. At this point everyone was wondering who, or what, these people are.

The biker/punk look was a new twist, even if it looks dated now.

And Brosnan should really avoid French accents.

I'm also pretty sure that was Paul Bartel's voice on the phone. The fact that longtime friend Mary Woronov is in this film makes me all the more sure.

Creepy flick.

Not For Me, Maybe For You

Author: gavin6942 from United States
2 July 2013

A French anthropologist (Pierce Brosnan) moves to Los Angeles and is followed by the evil spirits of an extinct tribe he once uncovered.

Despite the incredible Adam Ant, and starring Pierce Brosnan (as a Frenchman?)... and being written and directed by John McTiernan, master of the action film, this movie has received overwhelmingly negative reviews.

Jay Scott is the exception, as he described Nomads as "a breathlessly unself-conscious film (there is none of the self-congratulatory stylization of Blood Simple), the tone alternates maniacally between scaring the audience and making it giggle." Scott said McTiernan "has brought to his project a staggeringly resourceful technique. The sharply unpredictable editing, the hypnotic use of slow motion and rack focus (that's when the background and foreground reverse in clarity), the ominous rock music - everything adds up to a debut of singular confidence, full of fun and creepiness."

Scott may be alone. I was not all that thrilled by the film as a whole, neither a horror fan nor as someone who has otherwise enjoyed McTiernan's work. Perhaps I need to give it a second chance, but this is a largely forgotten film that has probably earned its place in the memory hole.

Has it's moments, but not all that much

Author: slayrrr666 (slayrrr666@yahoo.com) from Los Angeles, Ca
27 September 2008

"Nomads" is a terminally boring and barely worthwhile effort.

**SPOILERS**

Working a grueling hospital shift, Dr. Flax Stafford, (Lesley-Anne Down) begins to feel very weird after meeting Jean-Charles Pommier, (Pierce Brosnan) an anthropology professor and begins to suffer from a series of strange visions. When it soon gets to be a little more than her friends can bear, she is tested by the staff for signs of what's happening while she begins to experience his life through some strange means. She begins to realizer that she is being possessed by him in order to find out his obsession with a specific roaming nomadic biker gang that's been terrorizing people for a long time until she realizes what the connection is between the two of them. Finally understanding what's going on, she vows to get away from the horrifying truth and solve the mystery of the gang.

The Good News: There's only a few moments here that actually work. The early scenes, where it's hard to determine what's going on and are based around the confusion over what's happening, is actually not that bad and generates some decent moments, especially with the flashing images that appear to be from one source but come from another set, leaving this part feeling rather creepy and interesting. That's it all done in the first half of the film, with the wild hospital scenes also coming into play as well making really enjoyable. The chases at the end are also really good, with it's fun setting and only real use of putting in something with some adrenaline into it, which the rest of the film sorely lacks and manages to get something out of it. The only other part in here that manages to get anything decent out of it is the single sequence where, confronted inside a singularly creepy-looking house by a similarly creepy-looking apparition, is told the truth about what's happening and then disappears off into the darkened house, forcing him to chase them through the house. It's a long, creepy chase that actually does a lot of good and manages to have some really tense moments. Frankly, though, these are all the film has going for it.

The Bad News: This is a thoroughly disappointing and disjointed effort. The fact that this one is so dull is one of the greatest problems with it. Nothing in here happens, as it's mainly just a bunch of scenes of him running around the gang trying not all that greatly to incorporate himself amongst them, which isn't exciting. Watching him walk around doing his worst at being incognito around them with some of the lamest tricks to try to hide the fact that he's spying on them is some of the lamest stuff around and offers up nothing interesting or exciting about these things. Since they're so flawed, it manages to make for some really lame sequences and are just so dull that there's nothing at all so impressive about the scenes, which take up nearly all the scenes in the middle of the film that there's nothing worthwhile in there. The other flaw in here has two big parts to it, the film's sheer incomprehensive storyline. This one has one of the single hardest plots to figure out in the world, making it nearly impossible to figure out or understand. It has something to do with an Eskimo spirit that only they believe in tormenting the professor, but even that's a stretch to fully use in here, it's so hard to understand. There's also the fact that it's nearly impossible to figure out if what we're seeing is even real or not. This has an ability to show the scene as being through the one person's eyes, then switching it around to show that it's really about the person possessing the other one and seeing life through their eyes. It's all done in a very confusing manner and it's impossible to figure out. The inherent dullness, though, constitutes the biggest flaw.

The Final Verdict: Barely features anything worthwhile at all, and those few good moments are so beaten down by the negatives that it all falls apart badly. If you want to give it a shot, go ahead, but keep expectations low, but those who know this won't appeal to them shouldn't waste time on it.

Rated R: Violence, Language, Nudity and a mild sex scene

Awful, slow, confused, terrible choreography

Author: jtownsle from United States
20 August 2013

The movie starts out slow and confused. Perhaps I'm simply imposing a 2013 movie-watching experience on a 1986 film. But I've seen plenty of pre-1986 films that were great. This one is awful. You occasionally get glimpses of a plot, but it's rare. Brosnan is a decent actor, but I could barely stand to watch the film because of his farcical French accent. And while he has a nice body, I don't know what the rear and frontal nudity has to do with the movie. In another scene, he defends himself against an interloper (Adam Ant), and while his swings all look like they miss by a good foot, the attacker still goes down, even though for one of the blows there is a lamppost between the Brosnan's arm and Ant. People appear in and out of nowhere and switch bodies--perhaps it's real, perhaps it's part of a transcendent consciousness, or even just a dream--who knows? Certainly not the audience. How could anybody think this was a scary movie? When the movie was made I was 10--perhaps I would have thought it was scary then.

An interesting experiment

Author: Luca Durante from Napoli, Italy
5 November 2002

I think this is a very interesting movie, basically for two reasons: 1)The fear atmosphere is strong around all the time, the horror plot is suggested but almost never showed, and it increase the suspence and the desire to discover the end. 2)It's a low-cost movie and I appreciate it for this. There isn't special effect, gore or whatever but the odiens are still disoriented by a mysterious direction. This is a clear foot-print of a talent director! Good interpretation of Pierce Brosnan (too much better than 007!!). Enjoy it!

More thriller than horror

Author: Friendend from United States
6 May 2010

I remember this movie from when I was a teen in high school. I thought I had remembered the plot but was quite wrong when I started to watch this with a friend on a Saturday night. Being the 80's horror fanatic that I am, I figured this would be a good addition to my collection. And I must say WOW!!! WHAT A TREAT!!! This movie grabbed my attention from the get go. It was set up very well and the character development made me care for the doctor that was going through this "experience". The story moves along fairly well and keeps you curious about what is going to happen next. The editing between Pierce Brosnan's character and the doctors is done cleverly as well. It's not so much a horror movie but the trailer, if you watch it, promotes it as such. It's more a thriller than a horror flick. Still... I must say that I wasn't disappointed with it and was entertained from beginning to end.

"They're nomads."

Author: Backlash007 from Kentucky
6 March 2005

~Spoiler~

Watch as Adam Ant and Mary Woronov chase Pierce Brosnan to an 80's soundtrack with guitar licks provided by Ted Nugent in Nomads. I really have no idea what I just watched. Let me see if I can attempt to make this thing make sense for myself. Pierce Brosnan is a French anthropologist who studies nomadic tribes around the globe. He moves to California and, at the film's opening, we find him at a hospital. He dies there and whispers his last words to nurse Leslie Anne Down who then becomes possessed by his memories. Through flashbacks she witnesses Brosnan's last days as he tracks a modern nomadic gang through the city. However, these nomads may not be human. They may be mythological spirits who have actually been tracking Brosnan all along. Sounds complicated, no? Well that's not really even scratching the surface with this movie. There's a lot more going on but I'll leave it to you to answer some of the more nerve-wracking questions. Let's just say there's no linear narrative and the convoluted script is unapologetic. We see twist after twist after twist and hope the end is in sight soon. I must confess, I was getting really restless towards the end of the film. I can say that the end image does bring some coherency to the first 90 minutes, but I'm still missing a piece of the puzzle. It's not at all what I expected out of director John McTiernan (Predator, Die Hard). Surprisingly subtle stuff for a McTiernan film. Nomads is a film that will benefit from repeat viewings.

A Fantastic Haunting Experience

Author: Tab L. Uno (tabuno@slc.quik.com) from Salt Lake City, Utah
15 October 1998

"Nomads" is one of the best movies made. It successfully captures Pierce Brosnan and Lesley Ann Downs in one of the most unusual yet polished performances about a cultural anthropologist and a doctor's intimate experience of his last few days in tracking down a strange group of young wanderers. This is a haunting movie that will leave you with a striking bittersweet final image for the rest of your life.

obscure jewel

Author: dew55 from salt lake city
22 August 2004

A very well acted and directed movie. There was very little bad to say about this movie, so on to the positive.....Dark, concise, with a few twists that still are a bit on the provocative side, nearly 20 later.

I don't like to comment to much on the contents of a movies plot, as not to give anything away. Suffice it to say if you enjoyed 'Identity' with Cusack, Liotta, And Amanda Pete, you likely will enjoy the ride that this future 'Bond' takes you on.

This movie ranks much higher than the stars assigned to it. I like the fact that this movie cannot be pigeon holed nice and neatly into a category, although the tag is 'horror'. It is not a slice and dice ho-hum, but a tight psychological thriller. ENJOY! (adult viewers)

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]