IMDb > The Money Pit (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 5 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Pit silly

Author: Cedric_Catsuits from United Kingdom
16 July 2011

Tom Hanks' early performances were often a bit too slap-stick for my liking, and this is no exception. Silly almost to the point of childishness, this quickly becomes very boring. Shelly Long, on the other hand, is very watchable and so there is an almost-reasonable balance here.

By and large the story canters along OK and the scenes are decorated with some colourful characters, but it's all a little lightweight and one-dimensional.

If 1960s-style comedy and 1980s fashions are your thing, then you will probably enjoy this. Anyone with a taste for more sophisticated or edgy humour will probably not.

Good, could have been great

Author: tunnelboy from United States
30 May 2011

Very cute movie, and actually one of my favorites. Like a few reviewers pointed out previously, the script got muddied up a bit with little side stories that didn't seem to fit with the movie. I especially felt that Anna (Long) would never in a million years have gotten together with a character like Max. That part of the story was very hard to watch and totally unbelievable. In fact the character of Max himself was pretty nauseating and the casting of Alexander Godunov to play him was a mistake. Surely they could have come up with someone with better acting capabilities. But if you take that and a few other side stories out of the picture, or at least rework them a little, you have an entertaining and fun movie to watch.

The Ultimate House From Hell

Author: Eumenides_0 from Portugal
11 April 2010

The Money Pit stars Tom Hanks and Shelley Long as a couple who buy what they think is their dream house. It'd old and it seems to need some fixing, but they're young and in love and see it as an interesting adventure.

Then the house literally starts falling to pieces.

There's nothing in the house that works. The floor has holes; the electric system doesn't work; stairs fall down; even the trees in the garden are so frail one falls down when Hanks' character tries to cut out one of those cute heart-shaped messages with a couple's name inside them.

They hire a team to fix the house, which basically involves rebuilding it almost from scratch. The humor in this movie comes from many different sources: there's the acting from Hanks and Long, which is perfect in terms of timing; then there is the situational comedy, involving elaborate gags with props and sets, that would have made Chaplin and Keaton proud. There's also the dialogue, which is full of good lines. Then there's the obnoxious behavior of the construction team, and finally the sadistic car-accident-gazing pleasure of just watching the lives of this couple unravel.

The Money Pit is hardly a great movie, but for what it is, it's perfect, one of the best comedies I've ever seen in my life, charming, unpredictable, bittersweet.

Marmite

Author: agreen057 from Wellingborough, United Kingdom
23 March 2010

This film is very much like marmite, you either love it or hate it. Me, I love marmite and this film is funny all the way through. When they buy the lemon of a house and things go extremely to a pile of rubble. I think the best part within the film is when tom turns the lights on in the kitchen and the wire sparks with flames, then the TV blows up, the fan turns on and blows out the gas. He takes a match to it and the turkey goes through the window into the bucket in the bathroom. If you like the best bit within the film it is when the bath falls through the floor. These are just some of the highlights within the film. Please, please, please remember this film was made in 1986 and not 2010. Things were different back then and it should now be in the hall of classic funny films.

The house that roared...

Author: jc-osms from United Kingdom
17 December 2009

I rather enjoyed this mid 80's farce, as, fearing a Brat Pack teen-angst type movie, I was pleasantly surprised to see the film aim at a slightly higher age group. Thus there's little vulgarity, a simple story line any new house-holder can relate to and some genuinely comedic situations to raise a smile. While it may rely a little too much on knockabout farce, hey, it was good enough for Buster Keaton decades ago and the stunts involved are inventive and amusing.

Of course the dilapidated house palmed on to young twenty-somethings Hanks and Long is pretty much a character in itself as bit by bit it falls apart on our young charges in ever more improbable ways and steadfastly resists all their plucky attempts at renovation.

While the movie focuses on the action in the house it works just fine. Hanks and Long mesh well enough although the latter does seem a little too old for her toy boy lover. Away from the house the exposition is unnecessarily contrived, what with Hanks' job as an accountant for the rock industry and Long's as violinist for a symphony orchestra. Throw in Long's over-the-top hunk of a "not-over-her" ex-husband who's a stereotypically charismatic (= temperamental) orchestra conductor, Hanks' main petulant child-star client and just too many eccentric tradesmen for whom "two weeks" is a lifetime so that the pudding seemed over-egged to me.

Nevertheless Hanks sells it for all he's worth, he taking most of the pratfalls as the house collapses around him. Even in this early role he shows a little depth to his character, unlike Long as his co-star who, engaging as she sometimes is, is just too one-dimensional in her trademark "Diane Chambers" persona. Look deeper and you'll also see the great Joe Mantegna wasted in a "blink-and-you-miss-him" supporting role.

As for the stunts, some of them are really remarkable and convincing, like when the stairs fall away from Hanks' feet long before "A Nightmare on Elm Street", the bath falling through the floor and the chimney coming down the fireplace. There are some neat one-liners too, I'll settle for Hanks' "Home Crap Home" as the best of them

I think viewers like me will probably remember the sight gags of this movie more than the weak romantic comedy narrative or even the acting of the players. But I repeat, if it was good enough for Buster Keaton...

Sometimes Funny, Always Loud and Fast.

Author: Robert J. Maxwell (rmax304823@yahoo.com) from Deming, New Mexico, USA
15 June 2008

Back in the 1950s there were a series of films dealing with problems encountered by an increasingly prosperous and suburban America. Building a house, having your daughter get married, your first child, your first grandchild. Most of them were well written and amusing. "The Money Pit" belongs to that series but, inasmuch as it's already been done, is a little retro. But it's also updated. This isn't the story of a bourgeois family erecting a rural estate, as in "Mister Blandings Builds His Dream House." This couple (Tom Hanks and Shelley Long) aren't married; they're (gasp) cohabiting. Furthermore, it isn't just Daddy who brings home the bacon. Shelley Long works as a violinist in the orchestra of her ex husband, Alex Gudonov.

It's different from "Mister Blandings" in other ways too. It's less subdued. The earlier film, which followed in general the same paths to similar laughs, clearly was aimed at an audience of adults who were all moving to Levittowns in 1950. The gags were mostly conversational and situational. Here the pace is pushed and people shout and have arguments, and the laughs depend far more on collapsing staircases and the disintegration of several stages of platforms against the walls. It's closer to Laurel and Hardy.

But, aside from the jokes that the kids will appreciate, there are still some stingingly funny exchanges in the dialog, as when Hanks calls the local plumber and is quizzed by the plumber about things like his age, his insurance, his annual income, his job history. Some good lines are given to Gudonov as the orchestra conductor. At a rehearsal: "The union rules say I must release you for lunch. Those of you with a conscience and a taste for Haydn will not be able to eat it." And, commiserating with Hanks after Long leaves him: "You have just lost the best woman you will ever meet and you will regret it the rest of your life. Of course, I lost the same woman but it doesn't matter because I am shallow and self centered." I don't want to give away any more of the jokes because, pratt falls aside, there aren't really that many of them.

You've seen most of the jokes before in earlier movies or in sitcoms. The filthy water coming from the faucet, the exploding oven, the collapsing mattress, the leaking roof. But they're still amusing and some of the dialog is sprightly, like Shelley Long, a pretty blond who assumes a most inelegant position while bending over or squatting. She's like a young kid who is unaware of the way she's throwing her limbs around.

If there isn't much that's new, the film still floats along good-naturedly and gets the job of diversion done.

A worthy successor to "Mr. Blandings"

Author: Clothes-Off from United States
27 October 2007

I am normally a person who dislikes remakes or updated takes on classic film concepts, but since 38 had passed since "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dreamhouse"--and since that film is not as well known as several other Cary Grant comedies, this film seemed to have come along at the right time. I'm surprised it was not a box office hit.

Before anyone quibbles with my high rating, take a look at the list of every other film Tom Hanks made before BIG. Other than Splash, this is the only one that I would watch again. The concept is funny, there are some classic slapstick moments, and Maureen Stapleton is terrific in her brief screen time--much better than the boring real estate agent in "Blandings". As for Shelley Long, I couldn't picture anyone but her in the lead.

Hanks and Long have good chemistry as husband a married couple, so much so that it really hurts to see the house wreak havoc on their marriage--not to mention a well-cast Alexander Godonov tampering with it. I was surprised by the negative reviews this film received when it came out, since I saw it in a packed theatre that was laughing all the way through. And even though I'm no longer a high school freshman I still enjoyed it two decades later. To repeat, this is the best of the films Hanks made between Splash and Big--by far.

One of my favorites

Author: thebrainflow from USA
31 January 2007

There were maybe three films that I could continually watch growing up, and though they may not be the best and brightest the 80s had to offer, there was genuine laughter there, which has followed me today. I've seen The Money Pit about two zillion times and some of those scenes still slay me. I always point the film out to people looking for a comedy and reaching for the likes of Scary Movie. I'm a fan of well executed sight gags and slapstick, and that can only happen when the actors involved are committed to the realism of the moment. Its true, that comedy, though silly and often insipid can still ring true. No one does this better than Tom Hanks.

Though he may have forgotten his comedic roots at present, there is still something alarming about his charming ability to make you buy him as an oaf. His character in this movie is the ass, and he plays it up but not too over-the-top, with specific nuance that only an inspired and natural performer like Hanks can pull off. The laughter as the bath tub finally falls through the floor, his insane deep seeded laughter that shows you how far over the edge this house has made him. When he falls through the floor and Long's character searches the house. He tries to scream for her, but is constricted. He can only manage a feeble though specific, "I'm in the floor behind the couch." Of course the film falls completely apart at the end, letting a weak subplot spoil an otherwise unflawed romp. But, what 80s movie didn't have the ridiculous third act? We can only be thankful that there weren't any montages done to Tears for Fears songs.

An 8 out of 10 for many years of laughter.

A Mighty Good Laugh

Author: willeenlogan from Australia
23 January 2007

I watched this movie recently for the first time (2007). I laughed so much I thought I was at risk of having a heart attack. I had to watch it a second time to see the bits I missed because I was laughing so much. I laughed just as much the second time, so I am going to have to watch it a third time to see those bits I missed. Tom Hanks' comedy timing was spot on. Shelley Long was a good 'straight guy' for Tom. It is slap stick comedy at it's best. Sure, one can pick it to pieces, but keeping in mind when it was made, minor lapses of continuity were overlooked by audiences then. I was surprised to read in the credits that it was directed by Richard Benjamin and one of the executive producers was Steven Spielberg. It is the funniest movie I have ever seen, and I have seen a lot, including B&W early movies. I haven't heard of the movie, which surprises me. It makes me wonder if it is just me who found it so funny!

Funny until the end, then not so much

Author: DtTall from United States
15 December 2006

For the first 3/4 of the movie I was laughing and it was great. But when you get to the last 1/4 it takes a turn for the worse.

This woman got so drunk that she can't remember what happened and then she thinks that she slept with somebody other than good 'ol Tom Hanks. Then she lies to him about it. To Hanks said that he didn't care if she did it as long as she didn't lie. When she finally tells him, after she has lied about it, he gets angry at her (obviously). Then the stupid part, she gets angry at him that he isn't more understanding!!

She got so drunk she can't remember what happened, thinks she slept with some other guy, and then she has the audacity to claim that he should be more understanding. That just made me so upset I could not enjoy the rest of the movie. He should have left her on the spot, not because of what she did (or we find out didn't but was so drunk it doesn't matter) but because she is such a colossal stupid person, to keep it PG. She messed up. No matter his reaction, especially after she lied to him, she should be begging to be back with him. There is no logical reason for her to be upset. So much of a double standard it is ridiculous. Lost all respect for her character and didn't like the rest of the movie.

Page 5 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]