IMDb > The Money Pit (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Pit silly

Author: Cedric_Catsuits from United Kingdom
16 July 2011

Tom Hanks' early performances were often a bit too slap-stick for my liking, and this is no exception. Silly almost to the point of childishness, this quickly becomes very boring. Shelly Long, on the other hand, is very watchable and so there is an almost-reasonable balance here.

By and large the story canters along OK and the scenes are decorated with some colourful characters, but it's all a little lightweight and one-dimensional.

If 1960s-style comedy and 1980s fashions are your thing, then you will probably enjoy this. Anyone with a taste for more sophisticated or edgy humour will probably not.

The House Is The Lead of It !

Author: ahmed elshikh (ahmed_abd_elreheem@yahoo.com) from Egypt
20 November 2009

This is undoubtedly a lovely time. It makes you laugh from start to finish. There is a clear intention to pay a big homage to the silent cinema and the slapstick history. The cast did it so fine. The directing made great cartoon for most of the time. But as much this was perfect fun, as much it gave me something to criticize.

The house is the actual lead of it, with all the non-stop problems and the different sketches. Which leaves the storyline of the young lovers so thin in comparison. I didn't feel utterly any symbolism in this story; as if the house, one way or another, embodies the ups and downs of the 2 leads' relationship.

Ahhh. The 1980s. I have all the passion in the world for such a decade. The movies were innocently enjoyable.. without toilet humor, nasty jokes, naked people, free heavy bad tasting.. to the end of what we're living now. Along with that, but not too far from nostalgia, I was in love with even more factors..

(Shelley Long)'s delightful beauty. She's so ordinary yet so sexy (great legs by the way; I feel that the producers intended to show them off in all of her movies as a lead in the 1980s!). I loved the classic music. That was smart touch, especially with a long comic sequence. Look at (Hanks)'s outfits as well. Simply "Classic" is something fills this movie up to a degree charms me.

In fact I love this movie as it is. It's my love that pushed me to complain, because with another – more present – plot this could have been more than just nice visual farce.

To the fans only : in 1986 there were other movies that can compete for being in the 1980s ultimate tops such as (Wise Guys), (Legal Eagles), and (The Boy Who Could Fly).

Silly slapstick comedy/romance...

Author: dwpollar from Evansville, Indiana USA
16 June 2010

1st watched 6/14/2010 -- 4 out of 10 (Dir-Richard Benjamin): Silly slapstick comedy/romance about a house that falls down around a couple played by Tom Hanks and Shelley Long. The movie has a few funny bits as different parts of the house crumble at random times, but most of the movie is flat. The story starts as the Hanks' character's father gets married in Rio de Janeiro but this character doesn't come back til the very end of the movie and really isn't developed or mentioned much else. Hank's character is a lawyer who gets people out of trouble after his father supposedly steals from them(what a strange father-son relationship this is?) and Long's character is a musician who used to be married to a conductor -- who pops in and out of the story occasionally. They then buy a house -- which looks good initially -- but then bit-by-bit falls apart to the point where it has to be totally rebuilt. The problem with the movie is that the character's aren't developed very well and the house and it's crumbling(including some interesting sets & special effects) becomes the main plot. Long and Hanks don't really play well together and it shows a little too often, also. They try to bring in a mushy romantic ending, but at this point no-one really cares and we're just waiting for the movie to end. This movie proves that slapstick really doesn't work very well these days in movies and it's embarrassing that Spielberg has his name attached to this. Although, this isn't the only movie with his name attached that flopped --- remember 1941, and at least on this one he's just the executive producer.

You'll almost die laughing!

Author: ladyhawke_aia from United Kingdom
4 September 2005

I remember seeing this film when it first came out on video to buy and I have never laughed so much in my life!

There are many outstanding physical comedy scenes but the staircase, kitchen and bathtub ones with Tom Hanks are truly hilarious and show him to be a great comic actor and had me crying with laughter and almost unable to breathe!

All these years later I now have the film on DVD (due to wearing out my video version) and have seen it so many times but still find it absolutely hysterical.

A terrific one and a half hours entertainment.... A MUST SEE!!

The Pits.

Author: tfrizzell from United States
2 July 2002

Early Tom Hanks vehicle that has the rising superstar paired with Shelley Long as a young New York couple who want to buy the mansion of their dreams. Naturally the house looks much better on first glance than it actually is. A silly comedy that feels like a sitcom that does not know when to stop. Long was about to be canned on "Cheers" and was looking to hop on to the big screen. Of course this film did not help her case. Only Hanks' greatest fans will get anything worthwhile out of "The Money Pit". 2 stars out of 5.

awful, even for early hanks

Author: (spazz-5)
12 May 2000

quite a nice idea, update mr blandings builds his dream house, unfortunately

the casting and the performances leave a lot to be desired. hanks has never

been more objectionable, his nice-guy schtick has never grated quite so

much and shelly long is little more than an annoyance, but she does it with a true committment.

Amusing, but falls short of potential

Author: MartianOctocretr5 from Redondo Beach, CA
14 August 2006

A typical '80's slapstick farce style comedy that would have been a lot more fun if it wasn't burdened with a lot of needless sub-plot clutter. The film's one-joke premise of a couple trying to renovate a disintegrating fixer-upper house was a clever idea. Apparently, however, the film makers believed peripheral stories should be tossed in.

Tom Hanks is a plus for every movie he's in, and he makes the most of what the script offers. Most of the comic material in the script is recycled stuff, but Hanks manages to hit the right level of slapstick to generate some humor from it. Shelley Long displays great comic timing and delivery too, and she and Hanks make a pretty cute couple to look at.

The house falling to pieces whenever somebody touches something is an OK idea, but it only can carry a story so far, even with the strong lead actors. After a while, everything falling apart or falling down, or falling on characters gets stale. By the time a long winded scene of a domino-effect series of destructive accidents takes place, the joke is over. Then there's weird characters thrown in that just annoy the principal characters and the audience. The unwanted suitor bit is worthless and unfunny, especially the counterfeit accent the actor does. A few other comic relief characters, based on tiresome stereotypes used way too often in this sort of movie, are just extra baggage with no laughs.

The movie has moments, especially early on. If the director had utilized Hanks and Long to the level of their talents, this movie would have been more akin to a Tracy/Hepburn screwball comedy. Instead, some of the comic potential falls apart much like the house does.

I cringe every time this movie comes on TV.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
12 February 2004

I actually rented 'The Money Pit' a few years ago. After all, a movie with Tom Hanks, how could it go wrong?? Maybe because I have been a home-owner for so many years, and have this irrational fear that something really bad and expensive will happen to mine. But this is a difficult movie for me to watch, and I don't find it funny at all. It is ironic that as much as I like Hanks, two of the movies I find very difficult to watch are his. The other one is 'The 'Burbs.' Anyway, the critic Ebert has a good review of 'The Money Pit', I won't repeat any of it here. Suffice to say I believe the IMDb votes have been unusually kind to this movie, I would rate it '3' on the 10-point scale.

I would give this 2 thumbs up and 10/10 because it was a Comedy and Romance. I loved it.

Author: Victoria-12 from USA
8 August 1999

I had Just seen it less than 2 weeks ago on TNT. It was at 1:00 in the morning, I didn't get to see the first 30 minutes but I began to watch it because of Shelley Long. I loved it so much that I stayed up the whole night trying to see when it would be on again. well no luck. I talked to my mom about and she had it taped because she loved it to. We couldn't find it so she went out and bought. It has only been almost 2 weeks and I have seen it about 2.5 billon time. Even though it was made the same year I was born (13 years ago) I love it so much. The end is my fave part. The Argument is so sad then they get back together with a big kiss and get married. If you haven't seen the Movie go out and rent it is soooooooo good. It's about a girl (Shelley Long) and a guy (Tom Hank) and the ex husband. They buy a house and it comes crashing down on them. It is soooooooooo good.

The first film was great, the second one was good, the third one not so good.

Author: SanDiego
8 August 1999

It all started with the play "George Washington Slept Here" based on the true story of the need for a bigger home in the country and the problems that would follow. It was subsequently made into an hilarious film starring Jack Benny and Ann Sheridan. Cary Grant and Myrna Loy starred in the remake called "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House." It wasn't quite as funny, and the story line was somewhat abbreviated from the original, but Grant and Loy are perfectly cast and always entertaining. Television made "Mr. Blandings" a classic though video should give "George Washington" it's due. A pre-Oscar Tom Hanks (in his "The Burbs," "Turner and Hooch" days) and a post-Cheers Shelley Long bring the comedy down a knotch or two and pretty much eliminate any of the points made in the first two films. I have heard that many people have enjoyed this film, but if you watch the first two in order, and then this one, you probably will end up tossing this one out of your collection.

Page 4 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]