IMDb > Maximum Overdrive (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Maximum Overdrive

Maximum Overdrive More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 21: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Clever Story Brought to the Big Screen

Author: Mandice from Salt Lake City, UT
5 March 2002

Yes, it was made in the 80's and yes, there's not much in the way of acting, but there's really a clever tale to be told if you can get past all of the other stuff.

Paraphrased: Imagine if you were a race of Aliens, looking for somewhere to live. Just like anybody, you've got to clean your new house before you move in...that's what they're doing. They've sent their intergallatic broom to turn our own machines against us and sweep us all away.

With AC/DC's hard driving tunes to keep you going, you will be able to watch this movie and forgive the half-efforted acting. I believe Stephen King's work at directing was totally worth it, despite varying opinions. He brought his vision of how very terrifing it would be to have our own machines turn against us, to life. I remember seeing this movie when it came out, so I was about the same age as Deke. Something to note about Stephen King's young characters is that he almost always has one, and the one is usually sharp! The same was true for Deke. Although he obviously came from a not-so-brilliant family or location, he could hold his own with no problem.

If you love the 80's and your into horror flicks, check this one out! By the way, the annoying "Connie" (Yeardley Smith) is also the voice-actress for Lisa Simpson!

I'm shocked!

Author: tony-p (tony-p@rocketmail.com) from Indiana
5 December 2001

Of all the Stephen King books and short stories that have been made into films, I was completely taken aback by the number of negative reviews for this movie! I remember seeing it when it first came out and having the s*** scared out of me! As for those who claim that King could never direct a movie, has anyone seen The Stand?

Tops to King for a great first experience in sci-fi/horror!

Funny!

Author: NateF88 from IL
28 November 2001

This movie is more funny than scary! I think thats the way it was supposed to be. It's about machines coming alive and wanting to kill people. *Spoiler Warning!* The steamroller part was very fake looking. You could see that the kid had a fake head and his shirt was full of socks to make it look like it was real. THat was funny!

GREAT MOVIE!!!

Author: Eli Spicer (2bspicer@bellsouth.net) from Georgia, USA
24 June 2001

this has to be one of the classics. sub-par special effects and great music make this one of the greatest movies i have ever seen. as being king's first directiorial debut (as so i have heard) this movie is great from the YOU ARE AN AS***LE at the ATM machine to the adios Mother F****r at the end. 10 out of 10 stars.

It ain't -Citizen Kane- . . .

Author: jlpicard (craig@perpendicular.com) from Austin, Texas
17 June 2001

. . . but it's fun. I'm kind of shocked at all of the bad reviews I've seen here, what'd they expect?

No-one is going to confuse Stephen King with Stanley Kubrick, but I give King credit that he targeted a nice, easily-digestible short story as the basis for a movie (versus the more 'standard' 600-plus-page King epic that most other directors go for). The end result is just a fun movie for a rainy Saturday afternoon.

Worth it.

Author: Alyssa Sloane from London, England
3 February 2001

Many people believe this is one of the cheesiest movies of all time. I love this movie, and am able to watch it over and over again. This is the classic tale of good versus evil, and everyone who is a little "bad" morally in this movie is giving their fair shake. It is a lot better than the other movie that was recently made, known as "Trucks", just because Stephen King directed this one. I love almost every movie that Stephen King directs, and always will.

I give 7/10

Author: clawsss (clawsss@hotmail.com) from Georgia
21 July 2000

I don't know if i'd chalk this with "Horror" movies, but it's definitely thrilling. It's got pretty good action, and it even has a pretty good story line that's always in motion. And Emilio Estevez did an excellent job with his character. It may not be King's greatest work, but when i see it on T.V., i stop to watch.

Maximum B-Movie

Author: spideyy from Myrtle Beach, S.C.
26 February 2000

This was one of the stupidest movies I have ever seen, but I enjoyed watching it. I read the short story before I saw the movie, and the short story seemed to be written, to be taken seriously. The movie on the other hand was written for a campy affect, and that is how it comes off. People getting soda cans embedded into there skulls, by the soda machines, is a great new way to off a character. I could almost guarantee that had never been done before. The soundtrack by AC/DC compements the movie well. One of the greatest metal bands, writing the soundtrack for a great "metal" movie. Some have said this movie was a waste of time. Well it's probably not the most prudent way to spend an hour and a half, but then again how many movies really are? One commenter mentioned that it didn't follow the short story, then went on to say that the Shawshank Redemption loosely followed King's short story of the same name. I have one question for this guy. Have you ever read these two stories? Especially Shawshank, because Shawshank was one of the few movies I have seen that followed the original story almost exactly. Please don't make comments about things that you have no idea what you're talking about. Thank you. If you like campy B-movies based on King's work check this out. If you only like serious movies based on King's work, go watch The Green Mile, it's one of his best. For a fun no brainer movie I would give this 8 out of 10. For a serious thoughtful movie, I'd give it a 1 out of 10. Don't watch it expecting a revelation.

B-horror/sci-fans should love it

Author: garetjax-2 from Cincinnati, OH
3 January 2000

Yes, the acting isn't great, the story doesn't flow perfectly, and some of the things the machines do can't be rationalized. But, Hey!, it's a sci-fi flick about machines coming to life! Get over it. For you fans of B-horror and sci-fi, this is a great flick.

See it on Monstervision

Author: Cartload
14 June 1999

In order to fully appreciate this movie, you have to catch it next time it is shown on TNT's Monstervision. Joe Bob Riggs' comments make the movie hilarious. Anyway, this movie is a great way to waste time. I must admit, even though the acting is terrible, this is one of the few films I could watch every single day and not get tired of. The best scene is near the end when Emilio Estevez and crew are at the boat dock. One of the guys sees a dead woman in her truck, and she's wearing a wedding ring. So, the guy completely forgets that the trucks are in close pursuit, walks over to the woman, and takes her ring. As he's walking slowly back over to the boat, eyes focused entirely on the ring he's just scored, one of the trucks comes out and rams him. Emilio Estevez then uses a missile launcher to destroy the truck. The funny part is that everyone starts throwing their hands up in victory and cheering while a very upbeat AC/DC song starts playing. If you tuned in just as the song started, you would never know that one of their friends had just been killed. When I saw this scene, I started convulsing with laughter. I mean, this movie was so wacked out and shallow, that it was I actually enjoying it. Do not buy it, and do not rent it. Tape it next time it's on TNT's Monstervision. Joe Bob's commentary is half the experience. Even though it will have been edited for T.V., the Monstervision experience is one that cannot be beaten.