IMDb > Maximum Overdrive (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Maximum Overdrive

Maximum Overdrive More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 21: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

It Shook Me All Night Long- with scarinessness!

Author: Derek Carpet from United Kingdom
25 May 2010

This is one of THE great films of the 80s, featuring some of the biggest stars in Hollywood. Emilio Sheen, Lisa Simpson, and Stevie-Nix-King head up the terrific cast in this brutal, haunting, and often sad story of man versus machine set in the future (about 2 weeks I think). Based on one of King's most famous works- Cujo, the film follows a weekend in the lives of a bunch of Hicks who are surrounded, tormented, and murdered by their favourite household appliances- microwaves, TVs, Big Blue Pleasure Devices, chair lifts, and of course staples. The main threat though comes from their cars, their motorbikes, their trucks, vans, and hover crafts. They all get stranded in a diner off Route 66, and in classic Night Of Lovely Dead style they argue and fight amongst themselves whilst trying to solve the main problem and escape the nightmare in one or three pieces.

Emil Esteves is a loner, a truck driver who just happens to pull into the diner for a burger and a litre of coffee, and perhaps to make a deposit in the traps. He meets an assortment of locals, weirdos, and workers but soon after all Hades breaks loose. One customer is in trap 1, but when he tries to flush it gurgles speech at him. 'Honey, this la-vor-a-tory just called called me an ass hole!' he cries. It retaliates further by spewing forth what he had previously spewed forth in a glorious twist of irony. Soon people are being stabbed, crushed, decapitated, and victimised. This film has what idiots call the likability factor. In other words- you can like it. There isn't much of a story after the first 12 minutes as the final hour is just scenes of carnage accompanied by music by metal band ABBA. Occasionally Yardon Smith (From the Simpson Family programme) shrieks something unintelligibly which would usually make me want to cut out my eyes and replace them with some sort of larvae, but here it serves to increase the tension. With superb actings throughout, lots of killings, and plenty of naked action, this is one of the all time must sees.

Best Scene: When that weirdo looking freak (whoever he is he should never be allowed near another film again!) at the start trying to reason with a cash machine but it keeps calling him a twatbag!

An entertaining little flick

Author: Friendend from United States
6 May 2010

Wow this movie just takes off with no hesitation. It had just enough character development to keep you caring for the humans against the machines. I especially was rooting for the kid that knew the Morse code. Hoping that he would stay alive. When the kids get killed on the baseball team and the kid I like gets away I was hoping nothing would happen to him more than anyone else. When kids get killed in horror films you immediately have a cult classic and this movie didn't hold a lot back. I also liked that the machines didn't have much to say except for "Give us gas" and "We're in charge". And for the horror fans there's just enough gore for ya.

What a great classic action/sci-fi!

Author: metallipowerman5000 from United States
27 March 2010

I gave it 10 out of 10, gotta get that overall rating a lot higher! I can't believe the low ratings on here! I don't know a single person who hates this movie! I thought it was common knowledge that this was a great original movie!?

It's one of those movies that you can really put yourself into it.

This movie is a great 80's action/sci-fi/horror movie. The plot is simple, yet kind of silly. I mean back then most cars were carbureted or had primitive fuel injection with little to zero computers in them, so it doesn't make sense. However if they did a remake of this movie today, it would make much more sense, obviously 90% of things out there are computer assisted or controlled completely.

But this is a good classic 80's action horror movie, it is cheesy at times. Certain things don't make any sense at all, but it has some good solid action and tons of explosions and guns. It's funny watching something like this, because when I was younger, this movie scared the daylight out of me, but now, it's just plain ol' hilarious! I mean how can you NOT out run a big-rig or just step out of the way at the last second as it's charging you!? Those things have the speed and agility of a house on wheels! It's just funny things like that, and all of the killing scenes just had me laughing out loud! It's kind of hard to take it serious, it's not done completely cheesy and fake, it could have been a thousand times worse if someone other than King directed it. But it's still funny to think these idiots can't get out of the way of a big rig coming from over 200 yards away! But the movie makes good effort to stay realistic with a lot of scenes. The acting of Emilio and the lead girl, along with a few other characters aren't that bad at all, but some of the acting done by everyone else was kind of goofy at times.

But it's an original classic movie, no stupid over-paid actors or Oscars here! But that's what makes this movie great, plus ACDC has a million songs throughout this entire movie, and it really goes perfect with the flow of things ( a lot of 80's movies are known for doing this......)

But it's got a good soundtrack, and good flow, a lot better than the crappy music they make today! If you can even call it music!

A Fun Ride

Author: ShotgunHemingway from United States
25 March 2010

The poster tag "...masterpiece of terror directed by the master himself" may be a little bit of an overstatement. In reality, Maximum Overdrive is one of the campiest, most fun horror flicks of the eighties. And, it's pretty easy to see that it was intentional when the first scene has an ATM calling Stephen King an asshole.

The plot is pretty simple. The earth passes through the tail of a comet and, without warning, all of earth's machines take on a life of their own. Oh, and they are murderous. Can't forget that part. We never actually come into any realization as to why the machines are rebelling, I guess it's technically possible that there are invisible aliens that are driving the trucks around. The main story follows a group of people that are surrounded by circling semi-trucks inside a gas station. These include a pervy Bible salesman, newly wed couple, and a badass ex-con played by the Mighty Duckman himself, Emilio Estevez.

Just look at the poster to get a sense of the overall awesomeness of the film. Yeah, I think it's a picture of a well-bearded Steve King breaking through a trailer holding strings attached to semi-trucks like he was the puppet master of so many marionettes. Then you've got Gordon Bombay holding an M16 like he's gone commando while standing next to the female lead.

The characters are underdeveloped, the plot is so full of holes it's ridiculous, and the gore is fairly light, but dammit, this movie just works for me. It's such a ridiculous premise and the leads play it completely straight, ostensibly to give the terror some legitimacy. But the cheese that spews forth from Emilio playing a hard nosed ex-con taking on both shitty boss Pat Hingle (who is excellent by the way) and an onslaught of nefarious, sentient trucks is just amazing beyond words. If somebody pitched that movie to me, I would green light it faster than you can say Another Stakeout.

At this point, let me go back and address the gore, and say that I have only seen the cut version - word is there is another print of the film that has all the kills in tact. I'm holding out hope that the infamous "little kid run over by a steamroller" kill gets even more awesome in the uncut version.

I also want to discuss a little bit about, at least what I see as, the major plot holes. For instance, why are some machines controlled by the alien force, and some are not. Why does the force not just take over the newly weds car instead of trying to use a dump truck to squash them? It seems like it would be easier. We also know that the force is capable of taking over simpler machines, like guns (as is seen when the rolling machine gun acts as a sentry at the gas station), but in the final act all of our protagonists use guns in an attack against the truck menace. It boggles my mind! I'm assuming that someone of King's caliber recognized this and either didn't feel the need to address it, addressed it and it was cut, or just didn't give a damn.

But, the fact of the matter is that none of these flaws make me like the film any less. In fact, I think they are kind of endearing. In reality, I should think that this movie is pretty shitty, and maybe it is, but I happen to think it's awesome.

ermmm...where should i start??

Author: Majid-Hamid from Malaysia
28 February 2010

Well,i just don't believe it! People are giving higher stars for stupid sci-fi movies such as dark knight, matrix trilogy, blade runner and bla bla bla... Let's get straight to the point, is MO good or not?? In my opinion of course it is not the best,not a classic either, but it is a good movie to enjoy. What else do we want from a Stephen King movie?? I used to be a fan of Stephen King, so i really think that this movie should be given at least 6 stars or higher! MO has good elements in it, and KIng always create a story which is very very unique and "out of mind". Machine@trucks ruling the world?? Whoever in this goddamn world would think of such an idea?? The acting is simply good with Pat Hingle and Emilio Estevez in this particular movie!

Come on...why would u hate a movie like this?? It's simply enjoyable!

10/10*** (Excellent)

An awesome soundtrack

Author: Chad Thomas (BadCompanyProductions) from Canada
11 January 2010

It's common to see a Stephen King movies based off his novels but its uncommon to see him direct, write (all from trucks one of his short stories), and even make an appearance in the beginning of the movie. The whole movies soundtrack is from AC/DC's album Who made Who except for a couple songs the whole album was used. Emilio Esteves stars in the movie if you liked him in the Breakfast club I'm not sure if your going to like him here.The story is a bit sketchy with having 2 reason's why the trucks go insane and start killing people but I'm not going to spoil any thing. Also I've notice some minor details like when they use the M72 anti tank missile launcher you don't reload it you throw it away. Over all Its a movie worth seeing I give it 5 stars for the musical aspect. So check it out.

fun movie

Author: drystyx from United States
17 August 2008

This is Science Fiction, or perhaps Horror. Machines come alive due to a comet passing overhead (Okay, about as scientific as "Day of the Triffids"), and these machines start killing people.

The machines have demonic intentions. It appears that whatever the comet possessed, be it energy or whatever, is more likely a supernatural being than a force of Nature. The chief causes of destruction are motor vehicles, and semis are extremely dangerous.

What makes this interesting are the characters. Pat Hingle is the rottenest of them, but he always seems to find good movies to participate in.

There are a lot of likable characters that we can relate to or identify, and we can genuinely care about what happens during the film. They are isolated, holed up in a diner, and try to survive.

This is a fun movie, with lots of fun comments that can keep an audience interest level up.

God awful but fun

Author: paul51 from United States
20 July 2008

Well, Mr. King has demonstrated on several occasions why writers are normally not allowed to be anywhere near the filming of their own works. To his credit, he has shown improvement in this department...though the TV miniseries adaptation of The Stand is still something you couldn't consider "good" by any stretch of the imagination, it was a cut above this film.

This is the sort of movie you loved as a kid because you are gullible enough to be scared by the premise and the violence. Classic and good for a few laughs, no doubt.

Mr. King has written some wonderful novels, but still has yet to direct anything that comes up to that level.

Well boys and girls put on your silly hats.

Author: Boomstickman from United States
30 January 2008

The plot (Based off of a short story by Stephen King called "Trucks") centers around a group of people trapt in a gas station by a group of big bad semi trucks, trying to survive because apparently some sort of a comet is passing by the earth and wouldn't you know it, it's bringing the machines alive to kill us. They are lead by a good hearted ex con(Emilio Estevez) and his spunky and newly acquired girl friend. Side dishes also include the boss/owner,(who has a stash of automatic rifles and rocket launchers in the basement no less) a newly wed couple with the most annoying bride you'll ever have the displeasure of meeting, and a waitress who is going off her rocker (WE MADE YOU!)

Stephen King decided that after a slew of movie adapts of his novels that he didn't enjoy, that if he wanted it done right he would have to do it himself. In all respects I think he was right. It has all the dark humor and blood and guts of one of his books.(Not even the kids are spared in a hilarious attack by a disgruntled soda machine!) He also hand pick the band AcDc to provide the score and its a beyond perfect fit. If your looking for a movie that doesn't take itself or the viewer seriously, check this one out. I doubt you'll be disappointed. Who made who indeed.

I give it 8 lawn-mower attacks out of 10

the movie

Author: marshallemerica from United States
23 June 2006

eh the movie is pretty odd its funny then it try to make you scared of some crazy trucks along with any thing electrical killing everyone.

it has not been done a lot in movies because most people would just laugh it off and not even get it but come on when will you ever see a movie like this again you wont so you should just go rent it.

the only bad things about this movie lets see budget you can tell very easily, and some of the actors are a bit lame.

but but but you must see the trucks kill people and have a show down its so funny wow another movie i would say get is duel its a bit like this just minus the crazy electrical stuff and have a plot with just a man and a nother man chasing one in other so yeah if you could not tell i don't really try to be proper when i type i just type anything that pops in my head so sorry if your confused