IMDb > Maximum Overdrive (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 21:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Maximum Stupidity

Author: grandfunkfan from United States
2 August 2008

I had never heard of this movie before I just saw it on the shelf. I picked it out because it had Stephen King's name on the cover. After viewing, it is very obvious why I'd never heard of it; it is just pure stupidity. If it was meant to be scary, it failed miserably. If it was meant to be funny, it failed miserably. Whatever genre it was meant to be, I assume it was meant to be entertaining, and therefore, it fails miserably. The story could have been somewhat scary, but any scare factor was overridden by poor effects and just plain uninteresting progression. As with any scary movie there is a great deal of blood and stupid decisions by people to set themselves up for catastrophe.

I never expected any real scientific explanation for why or how the machines came to life. No explanation is needed for a scary movie if it is interesting enough to hold the viewer's attention. This movie is not interesting. I don't think even die-hard bloodshed fanatics or Stephen King worshippers could find enough in this movie to hold their attention.

AC/DC Songs Save The Movie

Author: Zombie_CPA from United States
20 August 2001

This movie is only decent if you are an AC/DC fan. This movie seems more like a 1 1/2 hour AC/DC music video than a movie.

I give the movie a 7 out of 10. One for the movie and 6 for AC/DC.

If they do a sequel, maybe they have all Blue Oyster Cult music.

Not what I expected, but it's OK.

Author: bbickley13-921-58664
14 May 2014

I've seen better movies based on the work of Stephen king, but in all fairness, I possibly have not seen one he has directed. Maybe I was taking off by how campy the movie is, A true celebration of the B-movie.

The concept was cool. An alien ship flying inside a strange cloud causes the machines on the planet to go haywire and the story focus on a small band of misfits trying to survive.

Heading up this band is Emilio Estevez who at the time was a bigger star than his little brother Charlie Sheen. the movie is perfect for him as it's similar to other B-movies he toke the lead on during his hey day like Repo man and Men at Work, which he did with his brother. This seems to be Emilio's thing and he shines as a bad boy force to do the right thing.

I'm use to being more frighten by a Stephen king story but I really was not. I don't really think it was the campy, just might not have stood the test of time in this factor.

What did stand out was the development of the characters. it's on the level of a good Zombie movie where everyone tries to figure out a way to keep alive while dealing with an unstoppable horror. It also reminded me of Tremors as the people were trapped in a gas station by the machines

Slightly different from what I was expecting from King's work from the 80's, but that might be the point. If you've seen all the other Stephen King movies than watch this one.

"We made you!"

Author: Bezenby from United Kingdom
10 December 2012

This film deserves at least six Oscars. I remember as a kid watching that vending machine get the red mist and lay waste to a baseball team, followed up by a steamroller rolling over a child's head. That's just horror movie gold right there. Sure, the film is dumb as hell, but it's very far from boring, and has the right amount of daftness, gore and action that I need from a film.

Also worth noting is the amazing "We made you!" speech given by that waitress in the film, which is just devastating in it's delivery. If you aren't laughing at that point, then Maximum Overdrive is not for you.

My wife was asking questions like "How does the truck see with it's wing mirrors?" and "How did that guy get a rocket launcher?" and such like, but I said that this is the kind of film where you just let such things go, or else you'll end up feeling like that guy after the steamroller went over his head. The plot is as simple as an ACDC drumbeat - just sit back and left the daftness roll over you.

As Far as Cheese is Concerned: Maximum Overdose!

Author: benmcfee from Canada
29 September 2009

When Stephen King first set out to make this movie, he was up front about wanting to make a schlock film. Boy did he succeed. I was on the fence about whether or not to give this a great rating or a terrible one because this has got to be right up there with "Plan 9 From Outer Space" as one of the worst films ever made. But my god is it a good time, as long as you don't take it too seriously. I mean, in the world of "Overdrive" people's bodies seem to pop like grapes when trucks hit them, so how seriously can you take that? And there are some other great moments of cheesy stupidity that will have viewers barking with appalled laughter.

Unfortunately the elements of the film that are simply, and unpleasantly bad overpower the film and weigh down what laughs there are, which is why I settled on a poorer-than-poor rating. The bride character played by Yeardley Smith is one of the shrillest, most grating of characters that I have ever had the misfortune to see. The acting is so campy they may as well be singing "Kumbaya." This is funny most of the time, but as in the case of Smith, and a truly disgusting Bible salesman, watching this film feels like a waste of heartbeats.

However, upon seeing this film a second time, this seems like a good movie for drinking games, so there can be some use made of this. As for whether or not King should be put to death for this film's existence, I think I'll let him speak for himself: "*on writing a stinker*...it happens; as the author of "Maximum Overdrive", I'm qualified to say so." ("On Writing", p.216).

The true Stephen King movie

Author: MasterMeredith from United States
15 October 2012

It's great to see when a famous author steps into a director's chair, especially when it is critically-acclaimed author Stephen King. So what do you get when you take someone who writes a lot of horror stories and give him a cast, script, and budget? Maximum Overdrive, a cult hit from the 80's starring Emilio Estevez. Saying this is a Stephen King movie, you would probably be expecting a macabre movie, but nope, instead you get a lot of trucks, after all it's loosely based on his short story "Trucks!," and electronics that just want to kill and a really hilarious and enjoyable movie. The explosions look real nice and some of the kills, the steamroller and the kid as a great example, are just great to look at. For lack of better words there's basically no intricate plot, the characters are a little weak, but it still entertains. It's trash, but trash that is great to see and look and sometimes laugh at, but if you want something more like he would do I recommend Creepshow, which he was the screenwriter and actually played the main character in a segment.

Based on Stephen King's "Trucks", its an inept, unconvincing, juvenile thriller.....but as fun as hells' bells!!!

Author: kclipper from United States
5 July 2011

There are several reasons why I put it upon myself to award this film the 6 out of 10 average rating. For one, its' total ineptitude has an effect of unintentional laughter, and lets face it, thats entertainment. Another reason is that this, 'Salem's Lot' and 'Creepshow' are a few of the first horror films that I have ever seen. (at the tender age of 10 years old.) So I must admit, Stephen King has been with me for quite a long time. If you have seen every King film, or read every King novel, then you are like one of the heroic characters portrayed within them. You have survived!

Now with all the banter aside, heres the facts. This movie is a perfect example of a complete ludicrous effort by an outstanding author being talked into directing a film. (and rushed into it as well) There are no words to explain how many plot holes are in this thing. The premise is: A rogue comet passes over earth causing machines (except cars???) to turn against mankind. A group of people are stranded in a truck stop by an army of trucks that circle the gas station continuously. The audience is bombarded with some of the most ridiculous sequences imaginable. Lawnmowers drive themselves, electric knives move about by themselves, a rear axle literally spins off of a truck!!!?, people are strangled to death by Walkmans, people are mowed down by giant tractor trailers without seeing them coming!!??, and so on and so forth. Not an ounce of logic or reasoning is attempted during the whole 98 minutes of this film.

Now for the good stuff. King purposely designed this to be "excessive and vulgar", and that he did! Fans of senseless violence will approve, and it seems like its all done for laughs. Emilio Estevez makes for a good hero type. Vulnerable when he should be, a man of action when its needed. Unsavory and annoying characters get their just desserts. (a mobile military firearm extinguishes half the cast in one scene!), and the AC/DC full soundtrack makes it worthwhile. This is definitely a favorite film among adolescents. A true juvenile delinquent's fantasy. So who cares how bad it really is. Besides, Stephen King himself realizes it, since this is the first and last film he will ever direct!! No apologies needed Steve, You're still the man!

Those Trucks have Gone Crazy

Author: ehrldawg from illinois
9 May 2011

Based on a Steven King short story,a rouge comet deposits evil spirit on the machinery on earth. A bunch of machinery,mainly trucks, torture the people at the Dixie Boy truck stop.

This amuzing film,despite popular belief,is not a trucker movie. The evil spirits inhabit most machine,such as electric knives and pop machines. Not a bad result for first time director Steven King. its an interesting idea for a trucker horror movie.

Laura Harrington,Yeardly Smith, and Ellen McElduff are hot.

---One Truck Drivers Opinion---

erldwgstruckermovies.com

An Oil-Stained Thrill Ride!

Author: geminiredblue from United States
16 April 2011

MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE, hated by critics and Stephen King himself. But watching the movie, all I find myself asking is why? From start to finish, it's a pretty decent (and admittedly terrifying) movie. Who hasn't driven next to a big 18-wheeler, and had a flicker of fear wondering if the truck suddenly lost control?! Every year, you see it happen on the news. So, is the movie so far from reality? Granted, the movie is flawed. I felt the newlywed bride screams way too much. And how can certain characters not hear an 18-wheeler bearing down on them? Plus, since all motor vehicles and electronic devices are affected, how come there are no murderous cars or helicopters? But apart from that, King's view of an apocalypse ruled by machines is just as convincing as the other 80s movie about "terminating machines." Emilio Estevez is in top form as the young punk hero and Pat Hingle is in full swing as (of course) a corrupt Southerner. If that weren't enough, there's just one more reason to watch: AC/DC!!! Ignore the boring 90s remake called TRUCKS and watch this for vintage 80s terror!

Kick it into high gear!

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
27 March 2011

Stephen King is really not known for too much writing. We know he wrote the TV remake for The Shining because he was not pleased with the result of Kubrick's version. Even though Kubrick's adaptation of his book has now been considered one of the all time greatest horror films. King's writing was honestly the least of my concerns when it came to Maximum Overdrive. The visuals, cheesy idea, and characters cover up the writing.

The plot: Earth has now come in contact with a comet that causes machines like lawn mowers, electric knives, and even automobiles to start acting on their own taking revenge on humans. A majority of the film takes place in Wilmington, NC at "The Dixie Boy" truck stop. Bill (Estevez) works as a cook at the truck stop who tries to keep his customers and friends close as this all happens.

The film reminds me of Tremors for many reasons; it's set in a sleepy town in a desert like area, the things attacked are just out of this world, and the townspeople are similar to those in Tremors. Thats all good with me. Tremors is one of my favorite films.

Maximum Overdrive is now considered "comedy-horror" instead of straight up "horror." I disagree. I did find some moments of Max. O genuinely creepy. Despite all the hate it's getting online, it's a great popcorn flick. Doesn't live up to King masterpiece films like Christine or Stand By Me, but it's up there.

Starring: Emilio Estevez, Pat Hingle, Laura Harrington, and Yeardley Smith. Directed by: Stephen King.

Page 2 of 21:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]