IMDb > Little Shop of Horrors (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Little Shop of Horrors

Little Shop of Horrors More at IMDbPro »

Page 12 of 17: [Prev][7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

If you've not seen it, get it on DVD

Author: John (supercat-1) from United States
5 July 2001

This is truly a wonderful movie. It manages to capture very well the spirit of the Broadway show while having a fluid style of filmmaking unlike just about any other film. The people responsible for the sets, the camerawork, the acting, and the music/lyrics all deserve an amazing amount of credit for having everything pull together so amazingly.

One of the most notable things about this film, compared with many, is that many of the sets are continuous from exteriors to interiors. In most movies, the exterior shots and interior shots are set on different sets, requiring a cut any time a character goes through a doorway. Here, the camera can start on a character who's outside and either follow the character inside or retreat inside while the character follows (as in the intro to the dentist's song). The film has a lot of long (in duration) shots which really help hold it together. For example, near the end of "Somewhere that's green", the camera shows Audrey insider her apartment closing her magazine three lines from the end of her song. The camera then, in a continuation of that same shot, pulls back out the window and travels up and to the left where the chorus starts in their next song and completes the first verse of it before there's a cut. Other memorable long-lasting shots include Audrey's talk with Semour after Mr. Mushnik yells at him for forgetting Ms. Shiva's flowers, and the last few lines of "Suddenly Semour" where the camera ascends the stairs in front of Semour and pans around as Audrey and Semour embrace.

My one criticism of the film itself is the addition of foul language in the new song "Mean green mutha' from outer space". While much of the song is clever, I found the language offensive and unnecessary.

Finally, I'd like to recommend that anyone considering watching this film see it on DVD if at all possible. The narrow frame of VHS (or 16mm prints, which is how I first saw this movie) really detracts from much of the filming. Additionally, the supplemental materials on the DVD are interesting and informative. My biggest complaint with the DVD is that I would have liked to have had the original ending included in the supplemental materials. Earlier editions of the DVD included it, but apparently the producer objected so later versions left it out. Too bad since, as a fan of the musical, I would have enjoyed seeing how the film handled the ending.

On a parting note, while I'm hardly fluent in French I do know it somewhat; while the French subtitles and dubbed soundtrack don't quite agree, I did find some parts interesting. Some examples:

"Downtown... down on skid row" becomes "Our home... in our neighborhood."

"Far from skid row, I dream we'll go somewhere that's green" becomes (on audio/subtitles) "Far from our neighborhood/hell, I dream we'll make a little green nest."

Highly recommended film. A++++++++

A wonderfully realized movie musical.

Author: Jerry G from Boston
21 March 2001

This is a classic example of a hollywood musical. Good songs, funny, sincere acting, a bit dark, romantic, and the plant is amazing. Ellen Greene is heartbreakingly sweet and vulnerable, and she can sing. Steve Martin is point on funny as always and you have to love Rick Moranis. I was a fan of the B&W Roger Corman original, but this is a totally different creature and a worthwhile pick up from the video/DVD store. I own the DVD and director Frank Oz's commentary is very enlightening and it has a music soundtrack only feature.

Wonderful Farce that is a Cult Classic

Author: zbornak from West Virginia
16 September 2000

If you haven't seen this movie it is essential you rent it tonight! It is so clever, so witty, and so generally entertaining that I spent half of my childhood watching this movie. I know pretty much every word and every song and am proud of it!

First of all, Rick Moranis and Ellen Greene are outstanding and perfect for each other as their bumbling characters. Ellen especially stole my heart in the "Somewhere That's Green" sequence---her voice is so real for her character. And Moranis is hilarious as always.

Also great are Steve Martin, Vincent Gardenia, Christopher Guest, and especially Bill Murray as the masochistic yet pleasured-by-dental work patient. And the trio of girls who serve as the narrator in true theatrical fashion are great!

This movie is one of a kind and I recommend it to everyone, old and young! It has no age limits---everyone is a child at heart!

Great Songs and Hilarious Performances All Around

Author: Josh (darkjosh333@yahoo.com) from Los Angeles, CA
12 September 2000

"Little Shop" is certainly one of the oddest musicals ever, running only second in its weirdness to Rocky Horror Picture Show.

The highlight of this film, of course, are the music numbers, such as the unforgettable title song, Steve Martin's diabolical rendition of "Dentist," Moranis and Greene's duet, "Downtown," and Ellen Greene's sentimental "Somewhere That's Green."

There are hilarious performances all around, but Steve Martin steals every scene as the now-infamous masochistic dentist. Bill Murray is also creepily amusing as the pain-loving patient.

Watch this movie and try to get the soundtrack out of your head for the next few days. Simply wonderful.

8 out of 10

Music Box

Author: (albechri) from Flower City, Indonesia
29 April 2000

FEEEEEED MEEEE! That's the line I kept remembering after 14 years. The story is odd enough which give the casts freedom to be as craze as they can be. Oh, oh, and the dentist...... IIIII AAAAM THE DEEEENTTTTISSSST.....! So musical and insane. The story, the casts, the songs, the effects... what else can you ask from a movie? O yeah, I forgot, FEEE-EED MEEEE....! Just watch it. It's a Sunday morning movie time.

Hilarious! Brilliant! All in all, a great film!

Author: andy-227 from Sterling Heights, Michigan
10 April 2000

"Little Shop of Horrors" is one of the few films that has comedy, horror, brilliance, music, and delight all in one film. It's really an outstanding film. The comedy is hilarious, the story is simplistic, the music and songs are ingenious, and the special effects are state of the art! It's really an excellent film when you take into account the talent and craftsmanship that was put into it. You have brilliant comedians such as Rick Moranis, John Candy, Steve Martin, and of course, Bill Murray. You have an ingenious musical to make it all flow through beautifully and elegantly, with some of the most brilliant songs I've heard in years! You have a great, simple love story. And of course, you have special effects that still impress viewers to this very day!

As happy as it all may sound, it almost wasn't. As some of you know, "Little Shop of Horrors" originally ended on a darker, more dismal note. I have finally seen the "legendary" alternate ending, and I must say that it's a dark reminder of the importance of test audiences. Sure it was faithful to the source material, but that doesn't mean it translated well to film. It just seemed too distant from the film's previously upbeat, funny attitude. It's also a shame that the producers couldn't find a way to use some of the footage of the plants destroying the world. The effects are pretty good!

In short, "Little Shop of Horrors" is a true delight, and it's rare that you'll find a comedy with so many beautiful qualities as this one does. If you haven't seen this film, you should. If you don't like it, then you're nothing but a "mean green mother from outer space"!

One of many I own

Author: dooie from Swindon, UK
17 January 2000

A wonderful cult movie which hardly gets the praise or recognition it deserves. A great soundtrack and comedic moments. Who's be a den.... ti.....st!!! is just superb, all the cast play their parts beautifully and it hardly matters that Rick Moranis is not the greatest singer! Will Audrey ever be satisified? You'll have to watch to find out. I would also recommend the Rocky Horror Picture Show as another great cult showcase musical for those without faint hearts!

Far beyond a one line summary

Author: (okc72@hotmail.com) from Toronto, Canada
9 January 2000

I absolutely adore this movie. The music is very good and the performances are magnificent. But what really blew me away were the brilliant comedic performances by the actors.

Steve Martin stole the show with his performance as Orin Scrivello D.D.S. His song was tremendous and an absolute joy to watch. It is incredible to see him play a role so very different from any of the others he has played.

Another actor I particularly liked was Christopher Guest. His few lines were very memorable and had me rolling on the floor.

One of the best musicals on video, I strongly suggest everyone see this.

Fun! Funny! It's a musical!

Author: DrWorm from Texas
1 December 1999

Since the 70s or so, there haven't been many musicals at all, so it's a great thing that this movie got made. "Little Shop of Horrors" has it all: musical numbers, Steve Martin, and a singing plant. This was director/Muppet performer Frank Oz's first non-Henson movie, and he did a darn good job. A lot of it is blocked as a stage musical would be, to give it that musical feel. The acting is all good & funny, the script is good, the songs are catchy, and the effects are terrific. A lot of the plant effects would today be done by CGI, but the puppetry they use here looks so much more real. I haven't seen the original Roger Corman movie that this is based on and satirizes, but I'm sure it would be interesting to compare the two. It's just too bad they had to go with the "Hollywood" ending rather than the original intended ending. Hopefully someday soon there'll be a rerelease of the DVD with the footage from the original ending.

Brilliant satire... even better music!

Author: lawndale
15 September 1999

One of the most consistently hilarious films ever, "Little Shop" is also THE greatest cinematic musical ever! It far outshines the likes of "Rocky Horror" and "Grease."

Films with such a star-packed cast often sink under the expectations of such a talented group, but "Little Shop of Horrors" is filled with high-caliber performances from a wide range of comedic giants. Rick Moranis and Ellen Greene truly shine as Seymore and Audrey, the two leads. Their performances skillfully alternate between subtle and bravura, as the situation and/or musical number demands. Greene's over-the-top vocal style is particularly affecting in the delivery of such numbers as "Somewhere That's Green" and "Suddenly, Seymour."

John Candy, Steve Martin, and Bill Murray all appear in instantly memorable and hilarious cameos/ supporting roles.

Michelle Weeks, Tichina Arnold, and Tisha Campbell are also superb as the 'Greek Chorus' element, providing both great side-bar commentary and killer three-part vocal harmonies.

Even beyond the superior level of acting in "Little Shop," there's also a great satire, which lambasts social elitism and the desire for upward class mobility. In the course of a 2 1/2 minute, seemingly doe-eyed song ("Somewhere That's Green"), "Little Shop" manages, quite effectively, to slap an entire era of American history squarely in the face. What makes this even better is that "Little Shop" is not so full-of-itself that it's 'above' self-deprecating humor, because there's quite a bit of that here, as well.

And the music is absolutely classic. It never succumbs to being cloying or manipulative, as so many musicals (re: "Hopelessly Devoted to You" from "Grease") often do. It's upbeat; it's catchy; and it's absolutely VICIOUS in its cynicism. ("Who wants their teeth done by the Marquis de Sade?")

Rating: 9 out of 10. Brilliantly acted, with intelligent and thoughtful elements of plot, theme, and satire. Very few films are this uniformly clever and engaging. The ending is a bit too abrupt, but it still works well, as does everything else in this "Little Shop."

Page 12 of 17: [Prev][7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]