IMDb > Little Shop of Horrors (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Cult Classic.

Author: MovieAddict2014 from UK
2 September 2003

Strange but humorous tale of a florist clerk (Rick Moranis) who comes across a rare plant which demands human blood. As it grows it wants more and more, and Moranis eventually kills an annoying - but funny - dentist (Steve Martin) to feed to the plant. Disgusting, dark, odd, strange, and delightfully perverted remake of the 1970s Jack Nicholson film. Highlight: Steve Martin's "Dentist!" song.

4.5/5 stars -

John Ulmer

A satire of life

Author: johnstonjames from United States
30 October 2009

A lot of people miss the point of this film. It is not perverted or trashy. 'Little Shop of Horrors' the musical is a class act all the way. It is even a good family film. Yes, there are some dark elements in the film, but life can be very dark. The film spoofs everything from America's love of horror and sci-fi, bad films, to America's shameful urban decay in it's inner cities. The film boldly confronts poverty in America and the desperate, unhappiness of the lives of the people in it. The film is basically sociology put to music. Anyone that finds this film tedious or stupid, is behaving in a really limited and narrow minded way. The film has too much insight and class to be stupid, and there is so much visual humour and design for it to be boring. If you don't like the film it is probably because you can't handle the truth. Life is dark and not everyone is rich and perfect like on 'The Hills'.

Bigger than Hula-Hoops!

Author: vip_ebriega from Philippines
16 January 2009

My Take: Definitely one of my favorite musicals of all time.

The last few months of the year 2008 have not been good to me, but it has its ups and downs. The limelights? A reunion with an old favorite: None other than the 80's hit musical LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS. I remember watching LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS as a kid, and I remembered loving it. I've been hunting to see this movie for quite sometime. Thankfully, it caught me in surprise on TV one time, then I went out seeing it again... and again on DVD, still being fresh each time. It's the best movie of its kind, even if I don't know exactly what kind of movie it is.

LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS combines two delightful concepts: A joyous, old-fashioned musical and a send-off of the campy, low-budget B-movies of the B&W era. In fact, which you all might know by now, this brilliant concept all started from one big joke, from Roger Corman no less. Corman produced the original LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS as a mere joke that he can make a film with a reused set from another movie and a limited shooting schedule of two days. The result was a film that was ignored in its initial release, but earned its cult following subsequent years later. One of this avid admirers is David Geffen, who has just come up with a brilliant idea: turn the film into a silly, bent Broadway musical. Strange, maybe if it wasn't so good. The musical was a surprise success, even loved by Mr. Corman himself. So it was inevitable for Geffen to take his brilliant idea one step further: turn it into a big-budget Hollywood production.

Originally attached to the project is Martin Scorcese and Steven Spielberg, doing the movie in a very modest budget. But the reigns eventually went to puppeteer Frank Oz (most remembered as the voice of Yoda), with the budget exceeding $30 million. Plus the film was also legendary for flushing out $2 million worth of special effects after the menacing original ending tested poorly (deemed too dark) on test audiences, with an improved Hollywood happy ending made to replace it. Still, despite the expenses and some of the criticism toward the film, LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS is still one of the best times I had in watching movies. The movie is a funhouse of endless entertainment packed with silly laughs, memorable musical numbers, tuneful songs, fine acting and outrageous special effects (even in this CG era, the Audrey II puppet created by Lyle Conway is still very convincing).

Rick Moranis stars as a down-on-his-luck slob Seymour Krelborn, who works in a bankrupt florist shop in the outcast district of Skid Row, where all the outcasts reside, including his bankrupt boss Mushnick (Vincent Gardenia) and battered beauty Audrey (Ellen Greene, reprising her off-off Broadway role). But when he finds a small, potted plant which he calls Audrey II, his life's about change. He becomes a great success, with the florist shop and boss right along with him. But there's a catch: Little Audrey II's hungry for blood, and he's growing... and growing... and growing. So how does Seymour feed a giant, singing man-eating vegetable? Nothing big, just chopping-up and killing people! LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS is quite like the "Springtime for Hitler" scene from Mel Brook's THE PRODUCERS. It's a little sick and dark on one hand, with a concept that's totally beyond its league, but in the end, it's fun, funny and peppered with inspired moments that never fails to make you smile in every frame. What are you waiting for? Feed yourself with the oddball delight of the irresistible LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS.

Rating: ***** out of 5.

Feed me Krelbourne! Feed me NOW!

Author: reddragonhero17 from United States
6 January 2009

I just love this musical! I've been loving gardening since a young age and this movie got me into it even more even writing my own science fiction story in the works. The cast is superb, Moranis surprisingly has a good singing voice. The only actress I don't like is Ellen Greene (her voice drives me crazy every time I hear her). At least I don't go to some sadistic dentist. Probably the best part of the movie has to be Audrey II, he's so real and has a lot of personality. Levi Stubbs (R.I.P.) is phenomenal doing his voice. I can even impersonate him. I love all the songs especially skid row- which a lot of people today are facing. I will forever remember this line "Feed me Krelbourne! Feed me NOW!"

8 or 9/10 for the theatrical release, but 10/10 for Frank Oz's original version.

Author: BA_Harrison from Hampshire, England
27 December 2008

If your idea of a great musical is less 'Singing in the Rain', 'West Side Story' or 'South Pacific' and more 'Hairspray', 'Rocky Horror, and 'Phantom of the Paradise' then you simply must check out Frank Oz's Little Shop of Horrors.

Based on the off-Broadway show, which was itself based on the cult Roger Corman movie, this marvellously entertaining piece of sci-fi schlock horror is funny, romantic, a little scary (well, my kids thought so), and huge fun from start to finish.

Rick Moranis stars as Seymour Krelborn, a nerdish shop assistant in a skid-row florists. Seymour's pitiful life changes drastically, however, when he discovers an unusual plant and takes it back to his workplace: the strange specimen brings the lonely horticulturist fame and fortune, plus the chance of finally scoring with busty blonde co-worker Audrey (Ellen Greene). The only problem is that the plant needs constant feeding, and Miracle-Gro just won't do.... no, this sucker wants blood, and lots of it!

Moranis makes a likable leading man, and shows off a surprisingly good singing voice, whilst Ellen Greene impresses not only with her incredible vocals, but also with her amazing body, which often threatens to steal the show. These two leads are joined by a fine supporting cast, which includes top comedy performers of the day Steve Martin, Bill Murray, John Candy, Christopher Guest, and James Belushi.

The real star of the film, however, is 'Audrey II', the alien plant creature voiced by The Four Tops' Levi Stubb's; this 'mean green mother from outer space' is a miracle of special effects with its fluid movements and impeccable lip-synching making it one of the finest examples of animatronics I have ever seen in a film.

The theatrical release of Little Shop of Horrors—the one that is currently available on DVD and the one I first saw back in 1986—ends with Seymour destroying the monstrous pot-plant and living happily ever after with Audrey; it's a lot of fun and is easily worth a rating of at least 8/10. But if you think that is good, be sure to check out Frank Oz's original, downbeat, apocalyptic ending, which was rejected by test audiences; it's on You Tube and will leave you gob-smacked. Now that version is definitely worth full marks! Let's hope there's a Director's Cut available on DVD sometime real soon.

Superb!

Author: hqatemc from Singapore
24 June 2007

Firstly I should state that, in general, I *loathe* musicals. Can't stand them. Although I love music. Secondly, this is my favourite film of all time. The acting, the songs, the plant... the whole thing is close to perfection. Funniest song, with the BEST lyrics ever - "Dentist!" Most moving song (guaranteed goose-bumps even after 20 viewings) -"Suddenly, Seymour". Ellen Green has a powerhouse voice and Rick Moranis' voice does just as much as it should to stay in-tune and in-character. Levi Stubbs is excellent as the voice of 'Audrey'. If my house were falling down, I'd grab my dogs, my L.S.O.H. DVD and then my husband, in that order!

captures the musical on film without compromising the theatrical attributes

Author: ekeelyd from Bozeman, Montana
16 October 2006

I loved this film. The music is amazing. The set was created to look rather theatrical and noir - an om-age to the original movie and off Broadway musical. A lot of musicals adapted to the film medium end up losing a lot of their good attributes in exchange for a more classic Hollywood approach to film making. An example is the recent adaptation of the Broadway hit Rent to film. Though the music was good, it's story was changed around and many of the songs were altered or left out completely. Even more awkward was many of the original singing lines were converted into speaking lines... speaking lines that rhymed. Rhyming works in musicals... as long as they are being sung. Anwyay, I think I've made my point. If you want to see a highly entertaining musical that will have you laughing out loud, I highly suggest watching this film. Steve Martin's special appearance as the "demented dentist" is more than I can bare.

loved this film so much

Author: kelly_denham from United Kingdom
29 September 2006

This is one of the best musicals you can get for sheer comedy and surprise musical talent. I would recommend any comedy fan to get this out!! I felt that for Steve Martin this was one of his funniest performances of his life, and Rick Moranis has shown he can be not only funny, but very musical. I have bought the DVD and am getting the music on Cd in the new year so I can be a complete fan and play it in my car!! I hope they never re do this as it will spoil the original flavour of the movie, and I don't think they could get anyone to replace the original cast and make it work as well. Possibly ask the old cast to re do it.... now that would be worth seeing!! In conclusion... one of the funniest, darkest most catchy musical there is to date.

I loved it!

Author: xxRebeccaxx from Glasgow, Scotland
12 July 2006

Little Shop Of Horrors is an amazing musical and one that will have you singing along in no time!

I played the musical in my first year at secondary school, and believe me, I loved it. The storyline is very strange.. and it will keep you on the edge of your seat.

Rick Moranis was brilliant as the nerd Seymour Krelbourne. Steve Martin was also very good as the part of Orin Scrivello D.D.S

This musical is a funny musical, its not one of the old black and white ones you would find a wee old granny watching on a Sunday afternoon! The songs are brilliant and are very catchy!

Just have a watch and you will be impressed!

Feed me...a masterpiece!

Author: Denton_Luke from United Kingdom
19 March 2005

As a fanatic of musicals, this film is one of the best movie adaptations of a musical I've seen! Frank oz has captured what the show is really about from the spoof 'B' movie element to the general musical sense. The cast are fantastic (especially Rick Moranis as the down trodden worker turn superstar Seymore Krelborn) and the working of Audrey II is really convincing. And the surprise guests in the film really gives it a 'wow' factor, with John Candy, Bill Murrey and Steve Martin as the manic sadistic dentist, the famous people in it really increases the films greatness The set is brilliant as it seems so realistic to a bum street Sadly the ending doesn't match the show completely but its still good. One of the best I've seen in a long time! Thankyou Mr Oz

Page 2 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]