IMDb > Little Shop of Horrors (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Little Shop of Horrors

Little Shop of Horrors More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A Wacky and "Out There" Musical that's a lot of Fun...

Author: ijonesiii from United States
22 December 2005

The 1986 film version of the Broadway musical LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS is an entertaining movie based on the black comedy from the 1960's about a nerdy milquetoast who raises a man-eating plant that gets totally out of control. Rick Moranis is perfection as Seymour, the nebbish who is at a loss at what to do when his own Frankenstein grows too big for him to control and Ellen Greene (reprising her role in the original musical) is delightful as Audrey, the object of Seymour's affections. Moranis and Greene make one of the most engaging screen teams I've seen in a while. Vincent Gardenia plays the greedy flower shop owner, Mr. Mushnik and Bill Murray is hysterically funny in one scene as Arthur Denton, a man who seems to enjoy going to the dentist a little too much. Tischina Arnold, Tisha Campbell, and Michelle Weeks are awesome as the Greek Chorus known as "The Urchins" and Steve Martin practically steals the movie as "Orin Scrivello, DDS". His song "Be a Dentist" is hysterically funny. The voice of the plant, Audrey II, is provided by Levar Stubbs of The Four Tops and he is superb. A fun musical comedy that the whole family can enjoy.

An off-beat delight

Author: Bill Anderson (anderson@nehp.net) from New Hope, Alabama USA
31 January 1999

No, not the black & white Roger Corman jewel featuring Jack Nicholson, though I suppose I'd watch that one again too. I'm talking about the 1986 color musical with Rick Moranis and Audrey II by way of Frank Oz. Like I tell my friends about "Babe," I love a film with a Greek chorus. In this one, the chorus consists of three Motownish women singers, Crystal, Chiffon and Ronette. I'll watch this film again, just to hear them sing one line: "TO – TAL – E – CLIPSE – OF – THE – SUN!" This is an all-singing, all-dancing science fiction black comedy that features human misery, a sadistic dentist, a masochistic patient, casual murder, girlfriend abuse, and a blood-sucking alien house plant monster. It's hilarious from beginning to end. And the music is outstanding.

My favourite film of all time

Author: AudreyToo from United Kingdom
6 September 2015

I certainly don't understand the low rating on here for this film - if you've never seen it before don't let that put you off watching it.

LSOH was my 'family movie' as a kid, introduced to us by our dentist uncle. Everything about it is just perfect it - is funny, self-aware and contains too many brilliant scenes to count. The songs are consistently great and the casting is spot on. I especially love all the amazing cameos: Bill Murray, John Candy etc.

Whenever I'm ill or feeling down, all I need to do to feel better is just watch this film. I never trust anyone says they don't like this film!

Loving homage to B movie ideals

Author: djfoster from Philadelphia
7 January 1999

One of the most unappreciated films of the eighties, the songs, performances, and especially the affectionate screenplay all harken back to the cheap old days of Roger Corman and his B movie compatriots. From Steve Martin's sadistic Elvis-inspired dentist to the early girl-group rock score, "Little Shop" moves with an appropriately cheesy style that lets you in on the joke, yet never insults you for loving those poverty row movies.

Just absolutely great..

Author: phelpsdavid23 from United States
10 January 2016

Watching this movie currently at 1am at work for the first time in 15 years (watched it when I was a kid) and I enjoyed every part of this movie. Didn't notice at all that Rick M. can sing. Favorite song is "Suddenly Seymour", calm to BOOM vocals on both parts, loved Ellen Greene. People on the discussion forums say her voice is annoying, I disagree insanely, he voice is the most attractive part of her character. Okay so great movie, great songs, a decent dark comedy/ musical, a entertaining movie for the family to watch. Though swearing is some what common but great movie. Enjoy, its worth a once-watch at least, for all you skeptics out there.

One of the best films ever made!

Author: franko1998
1 November 2001

"Little Shop of Horrors" is so amazingly special and unique, that viewing it almost transports you to another world. It's quite possibly the best film representation of a stage musical ever made--the sets are perfect, the casting is perfect, the music is perfect, and everything else about the film is perfect. Rick Moranis, Vincent Gardenia, and Steve Martin are all wonderful as Seymour Krelborn, Mushnik, and Orin Scrivello, DDS. However, my favorite performance in this film is that of Ellen Greene (who reprises her part from Broadway). The role of Audrey, Seymour's bubbly, sexy yet innocent co-worker with low self-esteem was made for her. I heard that the role was first offered to Barbara Striesand (who declined), and I am SO glad Ellen ended up getting it! Maybe the reason why some people, though very few, don't care for this movie is that there has never really been another film (that I'm aware of) even remotely like it. I just hope one day this film gets re-released into theaters!

Finally Being Released with Its Superior Original Ending

Author: Matt Greene from Panama City, Florida, United States
26 October 2017

Before they went on to helm one of the biggest resurgences in film history with Disney's animated musicals in the late 80s-early 90s, songwriters Howard Ashman and Alan Menken wrote a comedic-musical of a forgotten Roger Corman horror movie called Little Shop of Horrors. With lyrics as smart as they are funny, and music as catchy as it is kitschy, they caught the ears of director Oz. Using his history within the Muppets factory to bring to cinematic life the darkly colorful story, he gave us the silver screen adaptation, a wonderful combination of stage and screen that has brought mischievous smiles to audiences for 30 years. In it, the blessed Rick Moranis plays a florist trying to balance his job, an angry boss, an abused love interest, and her deranged dentist boyfriend. Oh, and a man-eating plant that is the only thing keeping his life afloat. That creation alone is worth seeing the movie for. Its size is imposing, its design is detailed, and even without eyes there is an undeniable life in its puppet form. As for the story, it's wonderfully simple, letting the songs and silliness reign supreme. It's weakness may be in its direction, which isn't so much bad as it is bland, never really moving away from essentially being a filmed stage production. However, it's hard to really blame Frank Oz, who dealt with so much studio intervention that he had to completely change the ending to make it more palatable, and thus weaker. Thankfully, the director's cut has been subsequently released in recent years, and now we can more easily appreciate the film in all its mean green greatness.

Bigger than Hula-Hoops!

Author: vip_ebriega from Philippines
16 January 2009

My Take: Definitely one of my favorite musicals of all time.

The last few months of the year 2008 have not been good to me, but it has its ups and downs. The limelights? A reunion with an old favorite: None other than the 80's hit musical LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS. I remember watching LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS as a kid, and I remembered loving it. I've been hunting to see this movie for quite sometime. Thankfully, it caught me in surprise on TV one time, then I went out seeing it again... and again on DVD, still being fresh each time. It's the best movie of its kind, even if I don't know exactly what kind of movie it is.

LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS combines two delightful concepts: A joyous, old-fashioned musical and a send-off of the campy, low-budget B-movies of the B&W era. In fact, which you all might know by now, this brilliant concept all started from one big joke, from Roger Corman no less. Corman produced the original LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS as a mere joke that he can make a film with a reused set from another movie and a limited shooting schedule of two days. The result was a film that was ignored in its initial release, but earned its cult following subsequent years later. One of this avid admirers is David Geffen, who has just come up with a brilliant idea: turn the film into a silly, bent Broadway musical. Strange, maybe if it wasn't so good. The musical was a surprise success, even loved by Mr. Corman himself. So it was inevitable for Geffen to take his brilliant idea one step further: turn it into a big-budget Hollywood production.

Originally attached to the project is Martin Scorcese and Steven Spielberg, doing the movie in a very modest budget. But the reigns eventually went to puppeteer Frank Oz (most remembered as the voice of Yoda), with the budget exceeding $30 million. Plus the film was also legendary for flushing out $2 million worth of special effects after the menacing original ending tested poorly (deemed too dark) on test audiences, with an improved Hollywood happy ending made to replace it. Still, despite the expenses and some of the criticism toward the film, LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS is still one of the best times I had in watching movies. The movie is a funhouse of endless entertainment packed with silly laughs, memorable musical numbers, tuneful songs, fine acting and outrageous special effects (even in this CG era, the Audrey II puppet created by Lyle Conway is still very convincing).

Rick Moranis stars as a down-on-his-luck slob Seymour Krelborn, who works in a bankrupt florist shop in the outcast district of Skid Row, where all the outcasts reside, including his bankrupt boss Mushnick (Vincent Gardenia) and battered beauty Audrey (Ellen Greene, reprising her off-off Broadway role). But when he finds a small, potted plant which he calls Audrey II, his life's about change. He becomes a great success, with the florist shop and boss right along with him. But there's a catch: Little Audrey II's hungry for blood, and he's growing... and growing... and growing. So how does Seymour feed a giant, singing man-eating vegetable? Nothing big, just chopping-up and killing people! LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS is quite like the "Springtime for Hitler" scene from Mel Brook's THE PRODUCERS. It's a little sick and dark on one hand, with a concept that's totally beyond its league, but in the end, it's fun, funny and peppered with inspired moments that never fails to make you smile in every frame. What are you waiting for? Feed yourself with the oddball delight of the irresistible LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS.

Rating: ***** out of 5.

A Masterpiece of the 80's

Author: Mario Perazzelli from Canada
13 November 2017

I absolutely LOVED that movie. It contains everything for people like me; comedy, songs, dance, mystery, and such good actors its' unbelievable.

From the beginning song to the end I've been carried away on a laugh and love ride. Steve Martin is hilarious and to see him with black hair! Just that is worth the movie!

I've been totally carried away with the Skid Row song and dance. This is the best number I have seen since quite many years. The timing, the moves, the words, all is perfect and such performances by all that it blew my mind. I still listen to it on MP3 and see it in my head. Yes, it influenced me that much.

By the way, usually I prefer the director's cut, but in this case I prefer the theatre cut, it makes more sense. It flows better. I guess it will be upon each watcher to make their own decision.

This is still a masterpiece and should be watched by any serious movie lover, as long as you like song and dance in a movie.

Author: thesnailman from ikealand xD
30 October 2017

* spoiler alert*

this movie was an amazing experience. The soundtrack was so catchy and wonderful that you don't mind you'll be humming them for like a week. the Ending scene where audrey dies i cried my eyes out. the special effects for audrey II is amazing for it's time. The romance between audrey and Seymour is beautiful and sad. The setting and the way they dress i love since i do personally love the 50s/60s aesthetic. I really recommend you watch this movie if you love musicals and mild horror movies. peace out yo!

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]