Link (1986) Poster

(1986)

30 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
A bizarre but fascinating thriller with monkeys and Elizabeth Shue
michael-4851 December 2001
I think this was a break-through movie for Elizabeth Shue. It was the first time I heard of her as an actress. I think I saw the movie back in 1988, but it made quite an impact on my young impressionable mind. After watching the movie, I had a real fascination with primate intelligence. The psycho-sexual interaction between Shue and the monkeys stayed in mind all this time. In particular, I remember quite vividly the bathroom scene. It was strange from me to see that back then. And, everytime I see anyone take a bath or shower with a pet in the bathroom on a movie or commercial, I think of that scene.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A great movie!
Movie Nuttball13 October 2003
Link is a very good film. The acting by Elisabeth Shue and Terence Stamp was very good especially by Stamp but the real stars of the movie are the apes! The great ape that played Link was excellent! I couldn't help but laugh at him because of the way he acts, the things he does, the faces he makes, and the way he moves. I know it isn't suppose to be funny but he makes this classic a very serious but a hilarious film! The chase scenes with Link were cool! The music by Jerry Goldsmith is excellent! A very good theme he composed and the entire score is perfect for the movie! Link is great and is an entertaining movie! I strongly Recommend it!
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Link
brerbryan24 December 2002
Although this was not academy award material,i thought 'link' was an enjoyable and educational movie. I saw this movie when i was 16 years old,and had no idea that chimpanzees were so strong. After watching the film, i studied a book at the library about them,and was amazed at the things they can do. Most people don't realize just how large they can be. Many chimpanzees in the zoo can weigh 175lbs as adults, which is the same as a human. They are over a foot shorter than we are, but they have denser bone and muscle,which makes them heavier. Interesting animals.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Link for president...
dag_nabbet5 May 2003
Best monkey horror movie ever - no other comes to mind so its not like there is too much competition. But who cares, this movie is great fun especially for us monkey fans. And who ever you might be, there is no denying that Link is one funky monkey.

All ye nay-sayers stop your monkey buisness and vote Link for president.
17 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Perhaps my favourite killer ape flick.
HumanoidOfFlesh12 October 2006
A young Elizabeth Shue plays Jane Chase,an American student studying at the London Institute of Sciences,who accepts a holiday job as housekeeper for anthropology professor Steven Philip at his house on the remote Cornish coast.Steven has three trained chimpanzees named Link,Voodoo and Imp.When professor mysteriously vanishes Jane is left alone in the house with Link whose behaviour has become increasingly more menacing."Link" is a surprisingly effective killer ape flick.It offers some great shocks and the monkey Link looks very sinister.The score by Jerry Goldsmith is splendid.Unfortunately the explanation of Link's murderous behaviour is not particularly clear.Director Richard Franklin has also made "Patrick","Road Games" and "Psycho II".8 out of 10.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The critics hated this, but it's fun.
gridoon30 March 2003
Richard Franklin is a self-proclaimed Hitchcock fan (he made "Psycho II", after all), and you've got to hand it to him, "Link" is more artfully directed than the average mid-80s horror film, with some nice camera movements and some even nicer transition shots. It moves slowly, though, and some characters seem to be introduced only to pump up the body count. Elizabeth Shue, in only her second role, is admirable in the way she holds her own against the naturally scene-stealing chimpanzees. (**1/2)
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I loved the film Link
SooZeeQ9021012 May 2002
I loved the film Link. It's one of my favorite suspense films. I love it because of it's twists and turns. Plus because of it's great and amazing music score by Jerry Goldsmith. I also like Chimpanzees. I recommend it because it's one of my all time favorite suspense/horror films plus I own it and have seen it hundreds of times. I give it 2 thumbs up for acting and surprises along the way.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The chimps are too good to be in this movie
Tito-816 July 1999
This movie started off very well, and I was beginning to think that I had stumbled across a pleasant surprise. Unfortunately, things weren't nearly as interesting in the second half, and so I can't quite recommend this one. The best scenes are when the chimps are displaying their remarkable talents. In fact, the pleasure of watching the chimpanzees is almost enough to make up for the otherwise mediocre story. The novelty does wear off, though, and the film suffers badly as a result. Shue and Stamp are both effective, but the script simply runs out of steam in the second half. Watch only if you love chimps.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very fantastic intimate thriller about human and monkeys familiar relationship
buzonpedro4 January 2007
I have very good memories about this film, I don't understand why so low califications. Worse of all I don' find this movie in any store. I remember simple and carefully well made monkey characters, and nice monkey actors work, even better than some actual human actors in some films today. I am not going to comment the final, I feel that I should reveal the plot to continue but I had been impressed by the end in the past and I am not going to destroy future cinema session to anybody who want to enjoy it.

So anybody who find this movie should to know that are a lucky hominid, so enjoy it,
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
God made man, and he used a monkey to do it...
Spikeopath14 October 2013
Link, a British horror film starring Terence Stamp, Elisabeth Shue, two chimps and an orangutan. The Link of the title is the orangutan, though we are asked to believe he is a chimp, and he's getting on a bit and his master, Dr. Steven Phillip (Stamp), is ready to send him of to the primate farm in the sky. Only Link is a smart cookie, he likes a smoke, and he likes to menace Jane Chase (Shue) who is working for peanuts as Steven's housekeeper so as to get experience from the good doctor.

So, when Steven vanishes half way through the movie, Jane is left to her own devices with mad primate and good primate. But wait, a clumsy set-up sees her joined by some pals late in the day, the cannon fodder has arrived, hooray! Ludicrous and lacking genuine suspense, while the primates out act their human counterparts. But boy are those primates trained brilliantly, especially the expressive Link (Locke). 3/10
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this