IMDb > Link (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Link for president...

Author: dag_nabbet from Denmark
5 May 2003

Best monkey horror movie ever - no other comes to mind so its not like there is too much competition. But who cares, this movie is great fun especially for us monkey fans. And who ever you might be, there is no denying that Link is one funky monkey.

All ye nay-sayers stop your monkey buisness and vote Link for president.

A bizarre but fascinating thriller with monkeys and Elizabeth Shue

Author: (michael@gotocol.com) from San Jose, California
1 December 2001

I think this was a break-through movie for Elizabeth Shue. It was the first time I heard of her as an actress. I think I saw the movie back in 1988, but it made quite an impact on my young impressionable mind. After watching the movie, I had a real fascination with primate intelligence. The psycho-sexual interaction between Shue and the monkeys stayed in mind all this time. In particular, I remember quite vividly the bathroom scene. It was strange from me to see that back then. And, everytime I see anyone take a bath or shower with a pet in the bathroom on a movie or commercial, I think of that scene.

Link

Author: brerbryan from united states
24 December 2002

Although this was not academy award material,i thought 'link' was an enjoyable and educational movie. I saw this movie when i was 16 years old,and had no idea that chimpanzees were so strong. After watching the film, i studied a book at the library about them,and was amazed at the things they can do. Most people don't realize just how large they can be. Many chimpanzees in the zoo can weigh 175lbs as adults, which is the same as a human. They are over a foot shorter than we are, but they have denser bone and muscle,which makes them heavier. Interesting animals.

Perhaps my favourite killer ape flick.

Author: HumanoidOfFlesh from Chyby, Poland
12 October 2006

A young Elizabeth Shue plays Jane Chase,an American student studying at the London Institute of Sciences,who accepts a holiday job as housekeeper for anthropology professor Steven Philip at his house on the remote Cornish coast.Steven has three trained chimpanzees named Link,Voodoo and Imp.When professor mysteriously vanishes Jane is left alone in the house with Link whose behaviour has become increasingly more menacing."Link" is a surprisingly effective killer ape flick.It offers some great shocks and the monkey Link looks very sinister.The score by Jerry Goldsmith is splendid.Unfortunately the explanation of Link's murderous behaviour is not particularly clear.Director Richard Franklin has also made "Patrick","Road Games" and "Psycho II".8 out of 10.

A great movie!

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
13 October 2003

Link is a very good film. The acting by Elisabeth Shue and Terence Stamp was very good especially by Stamp but the real stars of the movie are the apes! The great ape that played Link was excellent! I couldn't help but laugh at him because of the way he acts, the things he does, the faces he makes, and the way he moves. I know it isn't suppose to be funny but he makes this classic a very serious but a hilarious film! The chase scenes with Link were cool! The music by Jerry Goldsmith is excellent! A very good theme he composed and the entire score is perfect for the movie! Link is great and is an entertaining movie! I strongly Recommend it!

The critics hated this, but it's fun.

Author: gridoon
30 March 2003

Richard Franklin is a self-proclaimed Hitchcock fan (he made "Psycho II", after all), and you've got to hand it to him, "Link" is more artfully directed than the average mid-80s horror film, with some nice camera movements and some even nicer transition shots. It moves slowly, though, and some characters seem to be introduced only to pump up the body count. Elizabeth Shue, in only her second role, is admirable in the way she holds her own against the naturally scene-stealing chimpanzees. (**1/2)

I loved the film Link

Author: SooZeeQ90210
12 May 2002

I loved the film Link. It's one of my favorite suspense films. I love it because of it's twists and turns. Plus because of it's great and amazing music score by Jerry Goldsmith. I also like Chimpanzees. I recommend it because it's one of my all time favorite suspense/horror films plus I own it and have seen it hundreds of times. I give it 2 thumbs up for acting and surprises along the way.

The chimps are too good to be in this movie

Author: Tito-8 from North Bay, Ontario
16 July 1999

This movie started off very well, and I was beginning to think that I had stumbled across a pleasant surprise. Unfortunately, things weren't nearly as interesting in the second half, and so I can't quite recommend this one. The best scenes are when the chimps are displaying their remarkable talents. In fact, the pleasure of watching the chimpanzees is almost enough to make up for the otherwise mediocre story. The novelty does wear off, though, and the film suffers badly as a result. Shue and Stamp are both effective, but the script simply runs out of steam in the second half. Watch only if you love chimps.

Monkey see, monkey don't

Author: TrevorAclea from London, England
19 August 2007

"There's just a few rules that you have to remember: 1. You're the dominant species. You must never, ever treat them as equals. 2. Don't ever let anything escalate. Always forgive them, whatever they do. 3. Don't get involved in their squabbles. They sort them out. And 4. Erm, some turds in the hall. Can you clear them up?"

Whenever anyone comes up with that kind of list in a movie you can start ticking off the order in which they'll be forgotten and place your bets on who dies first, and Richard Franklin's Link is no exception to the rule. It's not a particularly ambitious film – it can pretty much be summed as a girl stalked in a remote country house by an unbalanced killer, with the spin being that this time the killer is an ape – but it's a pleasingly well-crafted and executed one. Unusually for director Richard Franklin the influence here seems to be less Hitchcock than Argento, with plenty of bravura camera-work – complicated tracking shots, long lenses, multiple speeds and step-printing that are far more effective than they have any right to be. Naturally the apes outshine the humans (Elisabeth Shue and a fairly brief but entertaining turn from Terence Stamp), with Locke the Orangutan giving a surprisingly layered turn as Link himself, the unstable former circus hack and "Master of Fire."

Barely remembered today, it's one of those films that just got lost in the cracks: a key and very expensive part of Verity Lambert's catastrophic production slate (The Holcroft Covenant, Wild Geese II, Morons From Outer Space, Bloodbath at the House of Death, Slayground etc) that led to EMI films being sold lock, stock and barrel to Cannon, who promptly dumped it with a token release, the film rarely even turns up on TV these days. But any ape movie with a heroine called Jane (after Jane Goodall, not Tarzan's mate) that uses both The Kinks I'm An Apeman and Marlene Dietrich's entrance in a gorilla suit from Blonde Venus as well as offering an infectiously demented Jerry Goldsmith Baroque'n'Roll score mixing synths, symphony orchestra, calliope and a 7/8 drumbeat definitely deserves a second look.

Very fantastic intimate thriller about human and monkeys familiar relationship

Author: buzonpedro from Spain
4 January 2007

I have very good memories about this film, I don't understand why so low califications. Worse of all I don' find this movie in any store. I remember simple and carefully well made monkey characters, and nice monkey actors work, even better than some actual human actors in some films today. I am not going to comment the final, I feel that I should reveal the plot to continue but I had been impressed by the end in the past and I am not going to destroy future cinema session to anybody who want to enjoy it.

So anybody who find this movie should to know that are a lucky hominid, so enjoy it,

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]