IMDb > King Kong Lives (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

very fun and funny!!!

Author: fano-flicks from United States
31 May 2005

Don't expect a work of art, but do expect a masterpiece of absurdity and fun. King Kong Lives is an ultra-cheesy monster flick that's wacky from beginning to end. Sure it's "bad", but it's also extremely amusing and entertaining. It's absurdities are part of it's charm. King Kong is brought back to life and sets about romancing a female giant ape while squashing nasty humans. I had a great time cheering for Kong while watching this. It's hard not too cheer for him since he's such a lovable lug. My heart really went out to him at times. At other times I just couldn't stop laughing! King Kong Lives will always be one of my very favorite giant monster run amok movies.

The dating scene is tough when you're a 50 ft. monkey

Author: Mothra-4 from Vancouver, BC
9 August 2000

Yep. It's a terrible movie, but worth watching for the laughs. When King Kong and Lady Kong first meet, they gaze into each other's eyes - and Pow! It's love at first sight! - and the Love Theme from King Kong Lives starts swelling up in the background - it brought tears to my eyes. Because I was laughing so hard I was close to weeping. This movie goes beyond its weird anthropomorphism and bad writing to achieve an unprecedented new level of cheese.

There are other fun moments, like when Kong starts climbing a mountain that is VERY obviously some painted plywood stuck to the side of a stepladder.

If you feel like watching something silly, or if you want to see a giant monkey trying to get to second base, this movie is for you!

Unique fast-food cinema.

Author: dmc102 from Belfast, Northern Ireland
28 July 2004

D: John Guillermin. Linda Hamilton; Brian Kerwin; Mike Starr.

Silly but ambitious sequel to Dino DeLaurentiis' remake of the 1933 classic monster movie. Of all the wonderful stories that could be told using the most famous movie ape of all time, screenwriter Ronald Shusset (Alien, Dead and Buried) opts for a ludicrous tale about an overly involved scientist/doctor/biologist Hamilton and her emotional quest to save Kong. Future comedy talent Starr is wasted as a bad tempered facility guard while co-star Kerwin shows off his Indiana Jones impression as a `wild boy' adventurer. Only DeLaurentiis could make a good idea this bad. However, for a genuine Kong fan, this may provide some light entertainment – once you look past the terrible Carlo Rambaldi (King Kong, Alien) visual effects and the rambling, overlong script. Director Guillermin's final theatrical effort.

OK OK its a crap movie....who's arguing?

Author: uds3 from Longmont, Colorado
5 July 2002

Well I gotta tell ya - when I bought this flick ($4 - yeah...I KNOW I was way overcharged)in the late 80's, my kids loved it! As an 8 year old, you tend NOT to notice the hilarious dialog, K-Mart effects and Z-Grade production values. My five year old sobbed her little eyes out when KONG was having a coronary...the other three cheered when he wrote off the bad army guys so hey, I'm biased! This film made my kids happy so I haven't the heart to belittle its achievements - microscopic that they are!

PLUS the fact you get to see Linda Hamilton when she was really pretty so c'mon, be charitable - let it be wouldja?

King Kong Lives (1986) is a pretty good sequel

Author: Horror_Metal from United States
25 November 2005

I have yet to read a positive review for this extremely underrated mildly amusing sequel to the 1976 remake of King Kong, which was also a great movie but not as good as the original smash fest of the 30s. A decade after our hero fell from the World Trade Center to his death, the big ape receives a heart transplant from a giant female gorilla of the same species, Lady Kong, who he falls in love with. The first time I heard this idea I figured this movie would suck and just be two guys in gorilla suits romancing over each other. But having loved its predecessor I had to check out this truly unique film. Unlike the rest of the Kong series this is more like a popcorn film that is here strictly to entertain us and isn't as deep as the previous films. Another kool thing is that Kong doesn't fall in love with a human girl (like every other Kong movie) but with an equal size girl ape which is, I think, a tremendous idea. Linda Hamilton (who I've always loved from the Terminator series) almost plays the same character she played from Dante's Peak and is responsible for Kong's blood transfusion. She is a great actress and came out of this movie OK. Indiana Jones wannabe Brian Kerwin plays her love interest and is also responsible for Kong's rebirth upon capturing Lady Kong. He does a superb job as well. The army is constantly causing problems for the ape couple but our two heroes (Hamilton and Kerwin) successfully stop them and near the end the two big apes have a Baby Kong (possibly setting up for another sequel). Yes this movie could have been called Bride of Kong and had a lot of high quality action scenes, some of which are actually quite gory for a Kong film (heads being bit off, people being tore in half, rubber alligators being chewed up) and seems a lot like a Godzilla film. Sure the plot gets a little silly and having two giant gorillas cuddle each other and act like humans is a bit much, but all the cheesy scenes are mediocre at best. And yes I did hate some of it, mostly the army scenes and the rubber alligator scene (really bad FX there) but being the sixth film in the Kong series, what more do you want? Seeing Kong smash stuff will make me happy. I now have this film in my Kong DVD collection along with King Kong '33, Son of Kong, and King Kong '76 (the two Japanese films will join them soon), I even have Might Joe Young though I don't count that as part of the series. I have now reviewed all the Kong films except the brand new 2005 remake which i simply can't wait to see. Review for that coming soon! Overall, I really enjoyed this film and it wasn't as bad as I expected nor as bad as people say. I give this worthy entry to the Kong series and great sequel to the 70's movie a 6/10.

King Kong Lives!

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
19 October 2001

This is one of the great movies of the 80s in MY collection that I think about all the time.

Some minor spoilers

King Kong Lives starts right where the 1977 version left off.KKL is very good movie and is really a super sequel.Its made very well and the acting and effects is very good but the movie is just plain sad.I guess all lovers of Apes will cry if they see this movie.I don`t want to spoil it it for you but there is lots of action and the film is never boring.I really like the scene where King Kong walks through the swamp and is all you see is fog then and black sky.That is so neat.I wouldn`t recommend this movie to people who dislike animals getting hurt.If you like King Kong but don`t like to see the great ape get hurt then I recommend that you see King Kong vs. Godzilla and King Kong Escapes.In them movies he is unstoppable.The music it terriffic! Its by John Scott.Its a great score.Overall King Kong Lives is great movie!

"Well, we should have no problem identifying the enemy, their approximately 50 feet tall & wearing their birthday suit's." So bad it's good.

Author: Paul Andrews (poolandrews@hotmail.com) from UK
9 March 2006

King Kong Lives starts off with the final few minutes from the original King Kong (1976) as the giant Gorilla seemingly falls to his death from the World Trade Center in New York. Jump to 'Atlanta Institute, Georgia Ten Years Later' where they have Kong (Peter Elliott) on a life support system waiting to undergo a heart transplant(!). Dr. Amy Franklin (Linda Hamilton) is ready to perform the operation but Kong needs a steady supply of blood to survive the procedure, as luck would have it diamond mercenary Hank Mitchell (Brian Kerwin) has found a lady Kong (George Yiasoumi) while trekking through the Borneo jungle. In no time whatsoever the institute has brought the female & the operation has taken place with the artificial heart going in nicely. The operation is a success & Kong lives, the institute decides to keep both Gorillas but when Kong hears the female call out he uses all his strength to break free from his chains & go in search of a mate, obviously the United States Army can't have giant apes running around can they so it's up to Colonel Nevitt (John Ashton) to capture them by whatever means necessary...

Directed by John Guillermin &, according to the IMDb an uncredited Charles McCracken, this is the sequel to the '76 remake of King Kong which Guillermin also directed. In my humble opinion I think King Kong Lives is one of those so-bad-it's-good abominations that I simply can't believe someone green lighted & trust me King Kong Lives is a bad film through & through. The script by Roland Shusett & Steven Pressfield is absolutely hilarious at times, you won't know weather to laugh or cry at some of the stuff that makes it's way into this film. I think King Kong Lives is meant to be a serious film but scenes such as the heart transplant complete with massive over-sized medical instruments, the giant artificial heart that needs to be lowered into Kong's chest using a crane(!) & all filmed in complete seriousness, there's a bit when Kong manages to 'sneak' up behind an entire platoon of soldiers, for Christs sake Kong is a 50 foot Gorilla couldn't any of these dumb soldiers see him? The scenes in which Kong & Lady Kong romanticise with hugs, 'I love you' type looks & Kong wanting to give her something so he uproots a bunch of trees & tries to give her those! The entire concept is bizarre, daft & just complete total & utter nonsense while at times it becomes embarrassing to watch. But having said that it moves along like a rocket & is never dull or boring, when all said & done I found King Kong Lives to be a throughly entertaining film for all the wrong reasons.

Director Guillermin messes everything up, there is no excitement, scares, tension or any action although it is quite funny on numerous occasions. The whole mood of the film is wrong considering just how stupid it is. There are a few snippets of violence & gore, Kong's removed heart, someone is snapped in two, Kong eats someone as well as a load of crocodiles & he gets shot at the end.

With a supposed budget of over $30,000,000 King Kong Lives is a travesty, where did all the money go? The special effects are worse than the '76 version in my opinion because of the 10 year gap, didn't special effects move on at all during that period? If you put King Kong '76 & King Kong Lives side-by-side you would think not. It really is just a man in a rubber monkey suit from beginning to end, the full size hand & arm shots are awful as they just look so stiff & unnatural. For 30 big ones King Kong Lives is a shoddily produced film & doesn't look the part at all. The acting is about as good as you would expect from such a silly film, I wonder if the cast knew how bad this was going to turn out to be?

King Kong Lives provides 100 odd minutes of pure entertainment for me, it's a crap film but it's just so bad it's good. It's a bit like a train wreck, you know you shouldn't look but you can't take your eyes off it. An absolute treat for bad film fans!

Return of the King!

Author: lotsafun from Angel City
29 November 2004

Kong is back and this time it's personal! lol! This flick is a blast for B movie fans and those of us who love monsters! The rest of you will hate it. I love this! Linda Hamilton shines here and there's plenty of humor, action, gator munchin', redneck chompin', and tank smashin' fun! A poster for this one said that "America's biggest hero" was back..."and he's not happy"! That's the truth! When the human bad guys mess with the King's lady he's one big furry fury and nobody does it like The King does it people! I love this for all the reasons others hate it. It's a hoot! King Kong Lives delivers the goods when you are in one of those moods to enjoy fun cheese featuring a big romantic monkey with a mechanical heart rippin' assh*les in half and smashin' 'em to kindom come. This is the ONLY film to watch when you are in that type of mood folks. There's really no other film like it! Way to go big fella! ALL HAIL THE KING!

He's Back!

Author: TOXPISTOSOU from Patra, Greece
29 September 2002

After remaking the 1933 classic,Dino decided to film a sequel.Bad idea.Although this was the first movie I ever saw on video,I wasn't impressed.And I was five!I watched it again last night and I was laughing so hard,I actually CRIED!It was a joke.It was FUN!Spoilers alert!A horny female Kong was discovered on Borneo and the resurrected King Kong fell in love with her...Awwwwww!How romantic!But the army is hot on her tail,so Kong must protect her.That's about it.The effects are good,the 'actors' suck,the script is UNBELIEVABLE but make no mistake:King Kong is still the mightiest monster ever to grace the silver screen.Godzilla was running away from the army in his 1998 revival,but Kong thrashes tanks and humvees here.The movie is boring,but they tried to make some inside jokes here people.There are many references to "The amazing colossal man","War of the colossal beast","Queen Kong","Alligator" and so forth.This film is extremely funny but what If Dino had produced "King Kong Battles The Killer Whale" also?He was thinking about it...

Great movie for its time

Author: mrvt (mrvt@optushome.com.au) from Sydney
16 June 2003

There is alot of criticism going on here about this movie when really back in 1986 you cant find many movies with effects quite like this movie, imagine it being made now days with kong doing matrix flips, fair enough the acting isnt all that great, but there were some really funny parts of the movie, this movie deserves an easy 7/10, im hoping to see a remake or something, anyone heard of any remakes of any kong movies? maybe a kong vs zilla remake?

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]