IMDb > Kin-dza-dza! (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Kin-dza-dza!

Kin-dza-dza! More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

I Koo'd for ages after seeing this film!

Author: SadGeezer from Preston UK
26 February 2003

This is truly a great film. Unfortunately the only way I could see it was to marry a Russian :) It's low budget and the graphics are crappy, but the writing and acting are quite superb! This is a little known Russian Sci Fi Classic and all serious sci fi fans should see it.

It's a story of some unlikely geezers who travel to another place through an unlikely looking portal/gizmo. There they meet other humanoids whose language consists of one word spoken with telepathic nuances. The whole communication idea is a cracker and there are some very funny scenes. If you like your sci fi innovative this is a MUST see!

I'd rate this a whopping 47,452 out of 10

A wonderfully minimalistic, absolutely anti-utopic dark sci-fi comedy.

Author: Ildjarn from Magadan, Russia
10 April 2000

"Kin-dza-dza" is a cult movie in Russia - and, in fact, it deserves this status completely, being an absolutely unique, minimalistic and freaky science fiction flick. Completely fantastic - and did I mention minimalistic? - art direction, excellent casting, and, of course, an anti-utopic plot that had miraculously slipped by the Soviet censorship, make this movie a true classic.

Mr. Spielberg, eat your heart out. All that "Light and Magic", and you still never came close to doing anything like this.

Most unusual movie of all time

Author: voshkin-1 from United Kingdom
11 July 2006

English/American culture (for the most part) tends to be rather reclusive, for example, there are virtually no foreign language songs on the radio. Because of this, many classics are missed, simply because people do now know about them.

This movie is the best example of a great classic unknown. If it would be made it Brittan in the sixties, it would have defiantly achieved cult status, and be widely regarded as all-time sci-fi classic. Alas, it is in Russian, and made at the end of the cold war, and therefore virtually unknown outside of the former Soviet Union.

The movie is full of wonderfully black humour (if you are higher up on the social scale, you sleep on a bed without nails, and they cannot beat you in the middle of the night), desert world with rusted metal structures, and wonderfully eccentric telepathic aliens with bizarre social structures.

This movie is truly a must see – a word of warning however, this is so far from a Hollywood movie, it is it's evil twin. Unlike Hollywood it has: A story Strong characters Crap special effects Complete lack of "touchy feely"

To get the best experience: 1. find subtitled version 2. find a Russian to watch it with you

Brilliant Sci-Fi comedy

Author: D-V from San Jose, California
23 January 1999

Not as dead serious as Blade Runner. Not as neon and air-conditioned as Brazil. It's not Earth, dear. It's planet Pluke. Dusty, rusty, dirty.

Amazing technology. To any point of the Universe - in five seconds flat. Unless someone borrowed one vital part of your engine without asking.

Interesting society. Everyone can read each other's mind. And still be able to lie.

A story of two Earthlings trying to get home from the cruel lying cheating stealing world of the galaxy Kin-Dza-Dza.

Definitely worth watching. Is there a subtitled copy available? I have no idea.

Do you want to laugh about capitalism in another planet?

Author: joalogon (joalogon@yahoo.es) from Spain
30 June 2006

Please, before seeing this film, let your political ideologies outside the room and just prepare to laugh with this original pearl.

It's fairly unknown outside Russia, and sometimes I wonder if I'm the only Spaniard having seen it....I hope not, such a pity!.

This film is a complete classic in Russia and has even transformed local talking, so don't be surprised if you walk one day by the streets of Moscow and you see two friends who meet and say "Koo!" each other, or if someone is bothering and he is sent away by an "Violinist players, we don't need them!".

The story is fantastic and engaged. It's one of those films who makes you laugh and sit for a while thinking about life. Maybe you don't agree to everything but is worth the reflexion. The filming is direct and simple (you're going to laugh, but not for the same reasons, special effect's lovers) and the acting is superb.

One of the best comedies ever made in Russia.

Great thinking movie

Author: nemo6321 from United States
3 March 2005

One of my favorite best. Saw it when if first came out in theaters, and then saw it again and again... The film-making is very good, however the technical problems with camera work and poor quality of the film itself did not help. Slow and deliberate pacing at times this movie gets under your skin if you are paying attention. Open mind for this movie is a must. What makes this movie great is unbelievable social satire. In short, you got to see it several times to believe it. This movie forced critical thinking in USSR circa 1986, and it still makes you ponder things in US circa 2005. Dealing with humanistic topics such as social hierarchy, lowest common denominator, human resilience and so on, this movie should be recognized on par with the classics of Felini and Tarkovsky.

Just a wonderful movie!

Author: Stanislav Rasovsky from Russian Federation
10 March 2005

Georgiy Daneliya created one of the brightest "anti-utopia" films in the history of cinema. Modesty of decorations with the interest is completed by the imagination of director and by the bright game of actors. "Keen-dza-dza" occurs the complex and multidimensional peace, which lives according to its, sufficiently simple and intelligible laws.

The inhabitants of the planet "Plyuk" have long ago mastered intergalactic overflights, but their lexical reserve consists in all of two words. But the system of authority and subordination is reduced to the color of pants, which you bear, and what flame lights up on the small machine - green or orange.

There is another extreme: the highly developed inhabitants of alpha convert their neighbors into the plants, because "by them so it is better". In both cases - possible future of humanity, without the bright specials-effect, but complete of humor, irony and sarcasm.

Mama-mama, chto ya budu delat'...Koo, or should I say Kyu..

Author: (grob248@aol.com) from Los Angeles, USA
10 August 2000

There isn't much I have to say about "Kin Dza Dza" that hasn't been said by the previous reviewers. But I like this movie so much that I could not resist throwing in my two cents. Yea, it's primitively, or, as someone has pointed out, minimalistically done, so don't expect any special effects. But you know what, who needs them when the movie is that good. The galaxy "Kin Dza Dza" is the slums of the universe, and it shows us our alternate, post-apocalyptic future with a great sense of humor, pantomime and sarcasm. Great cast too. Lyubshin, Leonov and Yakovlev do a fine job here. Since the film's director is Georgian, some Georgian gags were thrown in as well. Oh, and did anyone notice Dyadya Vova's and Gedevan Aleksandrovich's renditions of Frank Sinatra's songs? "Blade Runner," "Brazil," "The Road Warrior," and, to a lesser extent, Luc Besson's "The Final Combat" are all considered to be the classics of the post-apocalyptic, anti-utopian movie worlds. Well, you can add "Kin Dza Dza" to this list.

Hidden Ideas on Pluk

Author: Thalan from Moscow, Russia
20 February 1999

Kin-dza-dza is definitely one of the best movies I have ever seen. One of my friends said that it was the Russian version of Star Wars, although I feel that it surpasses Star Wars in many ways. The basic plot of the movie is that two Russians (A Muscovite who was out to buy some pasta and a Geargian trying to return a violin) get transported to another planet (Pluk) because they pressed some buttons on a mashinka-peremishenia. Pluk is a desert planet and the movie revolves around the two guys trying to get back to earth. However, I feel that it has several ideas, which you don't get hit in the face with when you watch the movie. The first is that, although the society seems primitive, it has a lot of technology (pepelaz, gravitzapa, making phone calls between planets...). I feel that this is saying that we can't really judge anything until we know everything about it. Another idea which was present a lot during the movie was that Pluk may resemble post-apocalyptic Earth. During the movie we see many earth-like structures like small ships and skyscrapers buried in the sands. The remains of carnivals and the remains of a once great civilization. But what if the civilization never disappeared? What if it degenerated to this state? Could we, citizens of earth, turn our oceans into fuel for out space ships? Another thing, what is the difference between having patzaki sing in cages and have birds sing in cages? Finally, PZH is a leader, who just sits in a pool all day, he doesn't really do anything. Like kings from a time ago. This may just be another thing symbolic with degeneration. Nonetheless, I found the movie funny and enjoyable, even if you aren't looking for hidden ideas.

The very last Classic Movie of the Soviet era

Author: cirrusminor from Ekaterinburg
24 August 2004

Definitely the last unconditionally good movie created on the territory of former USSR. Wish we now had at least one movie of the same quality a year shot in Russia. Like true vintage - gets on you more brilliant with each new watching - genius stuff, no overestimation at all. Too bad it was shot in Russia and thus unaccessible for 90% of the world viewers. Absolutely universal, all-human all eras significance, though.

Must-see stuff. Eternal issues of human value, dignity, absurdness of vanity and money-seeking all displayed in special humorous comic way. Numerous satirical social and political allusions that paradoxically will fit in any era or regime. My personal Top-10 favorite, definitely!

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]