IMDb > Killer Party (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

"Are You A Goat?"

Author: Predrag (pzivojinovic@yahoo.com) from Serbia
25 December 2016

"Killer Party" opens like no other horror/slasher movie ever. It's a good 9 minutes before the actual movie begins. The opening 9 minutes pull the rug out from under the viewer not once, but twice! These two opening segments did a fun job of jumping on the clichés of the time. Gotcha scares, drive-ins, and hair rock music videos routinely seen on MTV. It is an absolute blast. The actual movie tells the tale of three young women pledging to a sorority on campus. They have to go through the usual pledge/hazing shenanigans. Unfortunately, a party is to be held in an abandoned frat house, where a pledge was accidentally killed years before. It appears this pledge does not rest in peace, and the party-goers are about to find out the hard way.

"Killer Party" is a horror movie with a sense of humor. Not only the humor that is in the movie in itself, but the fact that the film knows what kind of movie it is, and has fun with it. The movie just has a sense of fun all around it. Great locations, 80s nostalgia in your face, and just enough eerie atmosphere here and there. It does slow down in some spots, but it isn't a concern. However, for a slasher/horror movie, the death scenes are relatively tame, and not all of them do we see for long or, in some cases, at all. No matter. The movie was written as a fun horror movie, and that's what we get. A horror movie with humor, standard slasher conventions, a taste of the supernatural, a dash of college hazing hi-jinks, and it's own music video! "Killer Party" really does seem to be the "Everything and the kitchen sink" horror movie.

Overall rating: 7 out of 10.

low grade horror

Author: SnoopyStyle
27 November 2016

Vivia, Jennifer, and Phoebe are best friends who decide to join a sorority. The sorority is near a boarded-up former frat house where a killer roams. Guys release a jar of bees to drive naked sorority girls out of the hot tub and film them running around naked. The pledges are required to say "I myself prefer a big fat cucumber" which gets them kicked out of Professor Zito's class. Weirdo Martin starts hanging out with the girls. During initiation, Vivia plays a prank on everybody. All three are accepted into the sorority mainly so that Vivia can set up the coming April Fool's party in the old frat house.

The movie starts with two fake-outs and the low grade horror begins. It does some T&A. The horror is horribly slow. Sometimes, I wonder if this is meant to be camp especially with Paul Bartel in the movie. It's definitely not funny with its jokes. It takes awhile but it finally becomes a-killer-in-the-house movie. Even then, it's badly done. None of it is good.

"That Madame Bovary...what a nut."

Author: Scott LeBrun (Hey_Sweden) from Canada
8 February 2014

"Killer Party" is fairly similar in theme to another 1986 slasher, "April Fool's Day", and in fact had to change its name, as it was originally titled "The April Fools". Pranks are a major theme in this decent horror comedy that also calls to mind the slasher "Final Exam" the way that it focuses on frat and sorority nonsense for a good part of its running time. That may cause some viewers to grow disinterested. The body count doesn't begin to become rapid until the final 20 minutes or so. Some of you in the audience may also find the deemphasis on gore (we often see the aftermath of a killing, but not the actual kill) dissatisfying. The filmmakers, led by under-rated Canadian-born cult director William Fruet ("Death Weekend", "Cries in the Night", "Trapped"), do have fun playing around with tropes of the genre and create some pretty good atmosphere in the more serious moments.

The thin story revolves around three college babes, Phoebe (Elaine Wilkes, "Sixteen Candles"), Vivia (Sherry Willis-Burch, "Final Exam"), and Jennifer (Joanna Johnson, 'The Bold and the Beautiful') working their way into a sorority that plans on partying inside an old, closed building which the students are advised to avoid. It seems that a frat dude died as a result of pranking some years ago, leading to some effective supernatural horror and good practical effects in the fairly entertaining big finish.

The cast of familiar faces also includes Martin Hewitt ("Endless Love" '81), Ralph Seymour ("Just Before Dawn", "Ghoulies"), a hilarious Paul Bartel ("Eating Raoul") as a huffy professor (whose character is named Zito, a nod to director Joseph Zito, who'd directed "Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter", also written by Barney Cohen), Terri Hawkes ("Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II"), Howard Busgang ("Terror Train"), and Jason Warren ("Screwballs"). Overall, the movie is enjoyable if nothing special, but it does bear a viewing from die hard fans of the genre. Its best part is its opening sequence; after a while you realize you're watching a "movie within a movie", but then it goes on to reveal itself as an extended rock video, with a group called White Sister performing a ditty titled "You're No Fool".

If only the balance of the movie were *that* clever.

Six out of 10.

The absolute epitome of the cheesy slasher

Author: GL84 from Los Angeles, Ca
19 March 2017

Attempting to pledge a sorority, a group of friends decides to join the other sorority members in transforming a nearby deserted house into an April Fools gag house, and when a mysterious killer shows up the dwindling survivors fight back against the deadly intruder.

This here was one of the best examples of the cheesy slasher. What makes this one so much fun is the fact that this one absolutely revels in that atmosphere as there's a real abundance of it that just permeates the whole film. This one does it from the very beginning, hardly making its intentions subtle with the film-within-the-film opening and the ensuing dance number over the opening credits, although the fraternity members are also responsible for some more of this, as they continue to prank out the sorority throughout the beginning to some really funny moments. The sequence at the staff meeting starts out hilarious and soon becomes even more so, and from the boys' opening prank to their hazing ritual and then onto the house pranks themselves all the way to the general atmosphere and tone this is barely a dent in the film's cheesiness. When it's not being funny, there are some good slasher moments as well including the early stalking in the sorority, the professor's shocking encounter in the basement and the way that just about all the deaths occur during the party allows it to just be over-the-top fun. There's just a ton of action in that scene, as the killer gets going and seems to kill someone every five minutes and that just makes it seem all the more fast-paced as just about the entire cast is knocked off in rapid fashion and the great stalking and supernatural destruction throughout make it really exciting. The killer's costume itself is quite imposing, with the whole body hidden behind an ancient diving suit that is big and bulky, giving it the perfect creepy appearance. The best plus, though, is it's undeniably cheesy charm since there are a few problems with this one that comes up. The most glaring flaw here is the aforementioned cheesiness. While this is one of the film's best virtue, the fact that so much of it is quite silly does present it with some problems. The first is that the film jumps around in tone quite often and becomes a little disorienting at times. Another thing is that it stops the film cold to include these inserts and disrupt the flow of the film even more so. Though it produces one of the funniest gags, the staff meeting didn't need to be there, nor did the fraternity's adventures with the sorority. These just stop the film to include them and don't really contribute anything beyond some laughs, and could easily have been snipped. As well, the film features practically zero blood or gore and all of the kills are just bland and bloodless or carried out off-screen only to stumble upon them later which does take a lot of the sting out of the situation. The other big problem is that the ending is a little confusing. There's way too much happening and it becomes a little disorienting when it switches over to something else quite rapidly. Those are the film's real problems.

Rated R: Language, Violence, Nudity and drug use.

On a scale of bad to good, this movie would be even, especially for the time period it was made

Author: RKO401 from United States
26 April 2011

Please bear with me. I think this is my first review on here, and it may contain spoilers. Given that this is an 80s horror film, I would recommend it for an horror fan, especially if the fan likes 80s horror movies. Of course there is some cheesiness and perhaps some plot-holes and irregularities, but the viewer can empathize with the victims in this film and genuinely care who lives and dies, unlike many horror films that have been cranked out since the 2000s. The ending is definitely unforgettable and will give you the willies. The song at the end of the film is ironically an upbeat "These are the best times of our lives," sang by an all girl group, paralleling the all girl core cast. A night that was supposed to be one of the best nights of their lives obviously was not! That is what makes "Killer Party" a gem of its own. It shows how innocent pranks can quickly turn into irreversible nightmares, if one is not careful to follow their instincts and learn from the past. It would be nice to see a modernized remake of this film that stays true to the story and removes the flaws. It is a good basic premise and is indeed a Killer Party with some April Fools.

"Strange 80's Horror/Slasher!"

Author: gwnightscream from United States
4 February 2014

This 1986 horror film stars Joanna Johnson, Elaine Wilkes and Sherry Willis-Burch. This focuses on 3 college girls, Jennifer (Johnson), Phoebe (Wilkes) and Vivia (Burch) who pledge a sorority and get in enduring pranks and humility. Soon, a mysterious killer starts wiping out some of the campus residents and when the girls attend a costume party, the killer decides to make their presence known. This is a strange film that pays homage to recent horror films, "The House on Sorority Row," "The Evil Dead" and "The Exorcist." The acting is kind of weak, but there's good make-up effects and I'd probably view this at least once if you're a horror/slasher fan.

Music videos, pledging a sorority and enjoying the best times of our lives

Author: Bill Hollister from United States
9 August 2013

Killer Party is one of those titles that does not often get mentioned when people discuss 80s slasher movies.It's relatively unknown yet seems to have a loyal following amongst its fans. Filmed in 1984 under the title The April Fool but not released until 1986, Killer Party is three films rolled into one.

It begins as a music video, then becomes a college comedy filled with sex jokes and pranks. It is only in the final hour that it fully becomes a horror movie. We cannot go any farther into a discussion on Killer Party without mentioning the characters. One of the main reasons that the movie has a loyal fan base is because almost every character is likable. Our three main characters (Jennifer, Phoebe, and Vivia) are friends and are pledging the same sorority. The actresses playing those roles are great and the viewer feels as if they truly are friends. Their dialogue and banter is realistic. They care for each other and we cheer for them to survive.Jennifer is the studious, sensible one. Phoebe is excitable one and goes along with the group, and Vivia is the nerdy prankster.The actress who played Vivia, Sherry Willis-Burch, was also in the 1981 slasher movie Final Exam.The girls must go through the typical sorority hazing and tasks in order to become members. The most memorable line from the movie comes from a scene in which the snotty head of the sorority, Veronica (Alicia Fleer) tells the girls that when asked a question in class, they must respond by saying "I myself prefer a big, fat cucumber." Oh those wacky sororities and sexual innuendos.

There are also great secondary characters like Professor Zito, played by the always entertaining Paul Bartel, Martin played by Ralph Seymour and Blake played by Martin Hewitt.Bartel is probably best known to genre fans as the director/star of the cult classic Eating Raul, Chopping Mall, Death Race 2000 and Piranha. He also directed one of my personal favorite horror movies, Private Parts. Ralph Seymour was also in the 1980 backwoods slasher classic, Just Before Dawn.

The criticism of Killer Party is that it takes much too long to become a horror movie. While I see that point, I do not mind because I like the characters enough and enjoy the comedy aspects of the film. It all depends on your moods and tastes, but I am never bored whenever I sit down to watch it. The final half of the movie takes places at an abandoned frat house which was the site of a fraternity prank gone wrong 20 years before.Does this tragedy from the past have something to do with the recent killings? Could be...

All of the before mentioned comedy hi-jinx makes the final 30 minutes all the more surprising and affective.It is a jolt to the viewer when our killer begins to dispatch the remaining characters without a hint of humour. In fact, I would argue the final act of Killer Party is one of the best found in a slasher movie.I remember watching it for the first time in an edited form on TBS in 1989 and was amazed by the performance of the killer. I won't reveal who that is. No spoilers here. Special mention should be made of the two main songs featured in the movie. The first is April by the band White Sister. It is a catchy tune in the rousing tradition of 80s hair rock. All depending on your feelings toward said hair rock, you'll either enjoy it or hate it. I personally love the song and listen to it occasionally. However, April is just a warm up to what is the theme song of Killer Party: a song that goes by the name These Are The Best Times of Our Lives. Those who have seen the movie know the song and if you haven't, you will soon know it the minute you hear it.I'm a fan of cheesy songs from horror movies and These are the Best Times is pure cheese but it also happens to be one of my favorite songs ever in a movie. Try not to sing along...I dare you.

Currently Killer Party does not have an official DVD release but is a part of the Warner Archives.My old VHS copy has seen better days but I return to it like an old friend I have known for years. While not one of the greatest horror movies by any means, slasher fans and horror fans in general could do much worse than seeking out this movie. You may even find yourself preferring a big, fat cucumber after watching this.

My rating based on nostalgia and love for the movie: 10/10 My rating as a non biased slasher fan 7/10

College horror / slasher starts out fun but ultimately fails to deliver in the end.

Author: capkronos (capkronos00@hotmail.com) from Ohio, USA
16 November 2014

A bitter woman attending her mother's funeral gets pulled into a casket by her dearly departed and is accidentally incinerated, which turns out to be a movie playing at a drive-in where a girl goes to a snack bar, encounters dancing zombies and then a rock band, which turns out to be a music music video being watched by one of our heroines. This bizarre film-within-a-film-within- a-film opening is probably the most appropriate way to start out a film originally called "The April Fools" and set among a group of joke- playing college students in the midst of Hell Week. Shy Jennifer (Joanna Johnson), vivacious Phoebe (Elaine Wilkes) and geeky Vivia (Sherry Willis-Burch) are the three newest pledges of the prestigious sorority Sigma Alpha Phi ("the wet dream of this college!") where they must endure such rush week indignities as paddling, having raw eggs cracked into their mouths, being fed goat eyeballs (!) and being forced to say "I myself prefer a big, fat cucumber" in the middle of class.

Thankfully, all that's about to come to an end as the girls approach the end of their hazing period, only they're about to trade the feelings of embarrassment and humiliation for the feelings of death and bodily possession instead. Bitchy sorority head Veronica (Alicia Fleer) unwisely decides to hold the sorority's annual April Fool's masquerade ball - held in conjunction with a male house known as the Beta Tau - in a long-abandoned frat house haunted by the vengeful spirit of a guy named Alan who was accidentally killed there twenty years earlier. As the party is underway, someone decked out in a diver's costume decides to kill everyone off in a variety of ways that include a trident, knife, hammer, guillotine, drowning and that old standby, a harpoon shot up an ass. By the end, the guilty party (whose identity is poorly telegraphed in advance) is sporting white contacts, an EXORCIST tongue and a husky voice and literally climbing the walls.

This actually begins surprisingly well. The production values and photography are both good, there are some fun songs, the performances are competent from most of the cast, the actors and actresses are likable and the dialogue isn't half bad either (the script was from Friday THE 13TH: THE FINAL CHAPTER writer Barney Cohen). We get a good look at college life to start things out, but the movie wastes way too much time on that and the various pranks going on on campus, including bees unleashed upon a bunch of topless girls in a hot tub. For the first hour plus the film is almost completely bereft of horror so by the time it does reach the finale it has no other choice but to rush through it in a haphazard fashion completely devoid of either suspense or gory payoff.

Hampering the film even further is that ALL of the kills take place off- screen. You simply get to see an already-killed victim or the killer approaching behind someone with a weapon before it abruptly cuts to something else. Apparently the MPAA forced them to eliminate every bit of blood and there doesn't appear to have been a lot to begin with. The only real gore moment they allowed to pass through was a decapitation and that's only because it turns out to be a prank!

Martin Hewitt receives top billing for his supporting role because he was in the hit ENDLESS LOVE (1981) a few years earlier. (Terrible movie but it got him some attention at the time). Cult legend Paul Bartel has a small role as an uptight professor and other small parts are played by Ralph Seymour (JUST BEFORE DAWN), Terri Hawkes (PROM NIGHT II) and Woody Brown (ALLIGATOR II). By the way, the current "trivia" on here about this movie starting production in 1978 and being mostly filmed then is complete bs. This was actually filmed in 1984.

Takes too long to get to business

Author: Wizard-8 from Victoria, BC
21 August 2016

Metro Goldwyn Mayer didn't do much with "Killer Party", only giving it a small theatrical release before dumping it on home video, where it apparently managed to gain a small cult audience. But I personally can't figure out why the movie has fans. I admit it's not completely bad. The opening of the movie, which pulls the rug out from under the audience twice, is clever and memorable. And for a low budget Canadian movie, the production values aren't that bad.

But when it comes to delivering the goods, the movie pretty much fails. There is nudity, but it's pretty fleeting. It's even worse when it comes to gore and violence. Believe it or not, in the first hour of the movie, there is only a body count of TWO people. Most of the movie is in fact devoted to college pranks and other boring nonsense. It's all very obvious padding, so much so that one has to wonder why time wasn't instead devoted to explaining some murky plot details, like the fraternity pledge who was (I think) killed in the past.

The movie starts to get going during the last twenty minutes, quickly adding to its body count and containing some energy. But it's ultimately too little and too late - there's hardly any blood and gore, for one thing. And most of the murders happen offscreen. (Possibly the movie was cut down in the editing room in order to get an "R" rating.)

In the end, the movie is for the most part a tired and passionless exercise. 80s slasher film fans will be unsatisfied, and even more squeamish viewers who don't want to see graphic violence will be bored stiff.

Yet another trip back to the world of 80s horror!

Author: dbs630-697-952794 from United States
22 June 2016

I really don't know where to start with this movie. I suppose the opening music video scene was kind of a gas. I mean if a movie opened like that today the audience would want to convict the filmmakers. So corny and cheesy you think your actually at that concession stand. Then there is the hot tub scene. Perhaps back in 1986 it was OK to toss a jar of angry hornets over a fence into the back yard of a sorority while the girls sit helpless in a hot tub then laugh and film them as they are stung repeatedly and run for cover. Or could it be just another bit of bad writing. I mean forget the fact that people can die from bee stings but the ridiculous manner in which it was portrayed leaves me just wondering why. Why after twenty years after I first watched this movie did I feel the need to watch it again? I like 80s horror, and while it might seem I'm being very hard on this movie, the fact is, I think I actually enjoy it. When I take myself out of my mature brain for the duration and focus on the adolescent kid that once worked at a video store that still lives deep inside me I find this movie makes me smile. It's like a frosted mini wheat. My serious, mature side picks apart the absurdities for unrealistic and shameful while my frosted side just can't stop loving a good cheese fest! Go ahead, ignore the obvious liberties the filmmakers took and just watch a bunch of college buffoons fumble about their sexuality, insecurities and fears and get slaughtered with good old fashioned practical special FX. (I still have my old VHS copy too).

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]