IMDb > Jumpin' Jack Flash (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Jumpin' Jack Flash

Jumpin' Jack Flash More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

How can I write a spoiler

Author: pamsfriend from New Jersey
11 September 2006

when the writers seemed to be making it up as they went along, so that there is little to spoil. This film must have been conceived as a vehicle to get Ms. Goldberg in front of the cameras doing her shtick, raunchy comedy. Vehicles usually have minimalist plots; their purpose is to show off the lead's best qualities. Good,if not great, vehicles are Lucy and Desi in The Long, Long Trailer and Peter Sellers as the immortal inspector in A Shot in the Dark, which as it turned out was the second of the series. JJF made me not care if I saw Ms. Goldberg again. In fact when I noticed her as the center box of Hollywood Squares, I mourned the death of Paul Lynde even more. She operates on the machine gun comic principle that if she hurls enough comments and insults into the mix, some will be funny. She is right; some are, but not worth sitting through the noise level of the soundtrack.

Jumpin' Jack Flash is Trash, Trash, Trash!

Author: James Hitchcock from Tunbridge Wells, England
18 November 2004

Whoopi Goldberg first made her name as a comedienne, so it is rather surprising that her first major cinema role was in the almost reverentially serious 'The Color Purple'. 'Jumpin' Jack Flash' was her first screen comedy, but it is unfortunate that she chose such a second-rate vehicle for her talents.

Whoopi plays Terry Dolittle, a dealer in a New York bank. One day she gets a mysterious message on her computer screen. This turns out to come from a British secret agent code-named 'Jumpin' Jack Flash'. Jack is marooned somewhere in Eastern Europe behind the Iron Curtain and his life is in danger. He asks Terry to get a message to his contacts in the British consulate so that they can take steps to extricate him from his plight. (It is never explained exactly where Jack is, or what the danger is with which he is threatened, or what the consulate staff can do to save him). Terry does so, but discovers that one of the consular officials is a KGB agent and that her own life is in danger.

The film is billed as a 'comedy-thriller', and like a number of films in this and other hybrid genres, it falls between two stools. It lacks the wit of a pure comedy or the excitement of a pure thriller. It must be the only spy thriller in which we do not see the spy except for a very brief appearance at the end. (A waste of that fine actor Jonathan Pryce). Jack is simply a mysterious presence at the other end of a computer line; the film concentrates exclusively on Terry's efforts. As a result, we never believe completely in her efforts to save him; had the film shown us more of Jack's situation it might have generated more tension. John Woods plays the villain as the stereotyped languid, drawling, upper-class Englishman (a common category of villain in films of the eighties and nineties), but never makes him seem very menacing. As for the comic element, there are occasionally some amusing scenes, particularly those involving Terry's patronising, sexist boss, but overall the film is largely free of genuine wit. I was surprised at the large amount of bad language in a film which does not have an explicitly 'adult' theme; I am not personally offended by this sort of language, but I felt that it could have the potential effect of alienating family audiences. Not, in all, a film worth watching. A 'gas, gas, gas'? More like trash, trash, trash. 4/10

Not very enjoyable

Author: Tito-8 from North Bay, Ontario
24 April 2000

Well, considering all of the talent that worked on this film, this would have to be called a disappointment. There's some action and a few attempts at comedy, but it just isn't very entertaining. Whoopi tries hard, and there are lots of other great actors with small parts in the movie, but the script lets everyone down. This is a comedy that is rarely funny, and it was certainly a mediocre way for Penny Marshall to start her film directing career.

I know it's dated 18 years on but it's still great fun and one of Whoopi's Best. MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!

Author: liammurphy1 from United Kingdom
30 October 2004

***1/2 out of *****

Plot:- Whoopi plays Bank Worker Terry Dolittle who while working on her (very dated-It is 1986!) Computer, gets a coded message from an unknown Source, after Decoding the Message, she starts chatting to a man called Jack (Johnathan Pryce) who turns out to be a British Intelligence Spy whose in great danger,Terry tries to help her new friend out - but by doing so puts her own life in danger and bad guy Jeremy Talbot (John Wood) is on her tail.

Will Terry Survive? will Jack make it home in one piece? will there be a Happy Ending? - What do you think? This is Hollywood After all!

The stars:- Yes, I know Whoopi does tend to go OTT in this film with a lot of shouting,screaming and swearing which might put some people off, but this is one of her Best Films, She is a very talented actress and become only the second African-American Woman to win an Oscar but sadly her career started heading south long ago with Flop after flop after flop tarnishing her achievements in 'The Colour Purple' and 'Ghost' and just to prove it by now she has been reduced to appearing in Baby Geniusses 2: Superbabies which is by all accounts one of the worst movies's ever made.

Johnathan Pryce a fellow Welshman and also a very talented Actor is only seen in the last minute of the movie, but his voice is used throughout. Pryce is probably better known as the Bond Bad guy Elliot Carver in 1997's Tomorrow Never Dies, But has done a lot of work on the stage as well as on the Big Screen.

The Co-stars:- Stephen Collins. Carol Kane and Annie Potts and others are great and it really looks as if they're enjoying themselves

The Directing By Penny Marshall (Sister of Garry) is really quite good considering it's her First shot at the job.

This movie wasn't much of a hit on it's original release,but in my view it's one of the better movies from the 1980's & It's one of my favourites.

The is a fun, mindless, comedy worth your time investment

Author: moviekris from La Crosse, WI
18 September 2004

I disagree with John Ulmer. I'd give this movie a solid three out of five stars.

This movie is fun escapism. Granted, it is not one of the greatest movies ever made, but it is cute and worth your time.

It's a movie that I enjoy watching every other year or so. It is well worth the two hours investment of time. It beats watching the news of hurricane destruction and loss of life in Iraq!

The cast is a lot of fun. They work well together. Stephen Collins is well cast as the "mouse" that saves the day! And what does the "E" stand for in Phil E. Hartman?

I am hopeful that the movie will be released on DVD. I'd like to have a copy for my DVD collection.

It's a gas gas gas of a time!

Author: laughter_continues from Sydney, Australia
10 August 2004

I gotta say that i am one of Whoopi Goldberg's biggest fan. She has amazed so many people with her quick wit of comedy. What a woman! This movie i have recently bought on DVD was worth buying. Whoopi's character Terri Doolittle is a "talk to yourself" kind of person but that doesn't mean she's mental, it gives the film humour and outrageous behaviour when it comes to her stunts and assignments she needs to do, in order to save a British Intelligence agent who calls himself "Jumpin' Jack Flash". It's filled with a great cast and i hope that all of you out there watch this film. I give it 8/10.

B-FLAT!!!!!!!!!!!

Hilarious And Suspenseful

Author: abhilash7
13 March 2004

Saw this movie's starting on TBS. And got hooked as the suspense keeps building from start. Good one time watch movie with mix of comedy,action and mystery. Not many big name actors. But Whoppi does a good job and several funny one liners and scenes.The one about canceling the message near the end Ouch!!. Movie from the 80's like these rocked and are fun to watch.

A good movie to watch when bored. Cant find many movies like that coming out today. Should be released on DVD. And hopefully will be soon.

Hilarious, absolutely funny and entertaining

Author: LadyFadjur from Midwest United States
14 December 2003

This is a must see for teenagers 18 & on up, some nauty language, but full of fun and comedy! Would recommend for late night watching after the kids have gone to bed! hehe Loads of laughter and has some good actors that are now famous. Wish it was on dvd.

weirdness

Author: Ellye from north carolina, united states
15 October 2003

THIS WAS AN AWESOME FLICK! but i have a couple things to say about mister jack.... okay throughout the entire movie you hear this sexy freakin voice and you expect to see a mister james bond look alike at the end....but NOO!! you see this freakin 40 year old guy who's balding and with grey hair EVERYWHERE!! one word....eww. okay well that was about it...the movie rocked until i sawed mister jack. lexy

Definitely will make you laugh!

Author: cosmos80 from U S of A
13 October 2003

Its more than just a gas gas gas, Whoopi Goldberg gives out, I think, one of her funniest roles of her carrer, in this Penny Marshall film ( her directorial debut as well). This movie didn't exactly got the critics raving, but that doesn't matter. Because this movie has a lot of humor, and just a touch supsense, and action. I defintley recommend this for you, and Whoopi Goldberg is what makes this one a must see!!!!!!!

Page 6 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]