IMDb > Highlander (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Highlander

Highlander More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 33: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Very dated ham handed action flick

Author: headly66 from New Jersey
23 November 2010

The one thing that Highlander had going for it was the fairly interesting premise that a long lasting ongoing battle between immortals was continuing on through the centuries. But that's where the fun ends. Highlander has to be one of the worst and most overrated films of all time. I was 19 when this came out and would be a prime candidate to be a defender of it but the truth is it wasn't even very good back then. The sword play and action is so staged, the acting so dull and the characters so boring it's overwhelming bad. There really is no rhyme or reason for anything that happens in this movie, it seems like they just threw scenes together, and the constant flashback/forward leaves no time for any sort of character development. Was it really a good idea to have a not so good wooden actor like Lambert try to pull of a Scottish accent? I won't get deeply into historical facts here since there are none, but at one point Connery's character says he was given a Japanese sword in 593BC, sadly Japanese sword making didn't start until 700AD. One of the sillier scenes involves Lambert conveniently going out for cigarettes or something leaving Connery and his woman alone and a battle ensues that tears the entire castle apart but the girl refuse to leave it and run away instead doing the typical screaming, covering her eyes and not even running when the outcome is certain. Then that girl is captured by the bad guy. Later we see Lambert and her together with her in her old age but have no idea how he got her back.

Altogether a very boring experience.

What I think of Highlander

Author: Melorious Tigerwoods from United Kingdom
30 March 2010

Ah Highlander, This was one of those films that I grew up watching. Okay the layout for those of you that do not know, there are among us immortals who fight one another. The only way to kill an immortal is by chopping off his head, should another immortal do this then he absorbs his power. Now the immortals believe that as time progresses there will be fewer and fewer of them (they cannot have children and a new immortal pops up only when another has died at the hands of someone who is not immortal). Eventually only a handful will remain and these will fight for the prize. Exactly what the prize is varies I think depending on the winner. Highlander follows the story of Conner Macleod as he and the last handful of immortals fight to the death.

So what did I think of it? As a child I loved it, I grew up playing games of it and writing trashy stories about it. With these memories I still love this film, although I have to say that having watched it again not long ago I did find that, really it was awful. The music score is great, the cast is spectacular and even the storyline is pretty good. But the terrible sword work and worse sound effects ruined the film. That being said it is without doubt the best of the trilogy which ruined my beloved childhood film. All slating aside I do still love the film and will always have a highlander (either this, endgame or possibly the new film) in my top thirty films.

Connor McLeod, 1518- A Prince Of The Universe

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
6 September 2009

I'm coming to Highlander in reverse order so to speak. I did love the syndicated series so much that it was a shame I had never gotten around to seeing the film that inspired it. I have to say I was not disappointed in any way. Especially getting to see Sean Connery albeit in a supporting role. Face it, twenty years earlier Connery would have been a natural for the part. As it is he's fine as Ramirez, mentor to Connor McLeod of the clan McLeod who maybe the best of a race of immortal beings who seem to pop up in the human gene pool every so often.

Christopher Lambert never followed up this film with anything remotely as successful. Be that as it may, he's an earnest young Highland warrior whom we see as first in modern era of 1986 New York and then in his beginnings when he finds out he is an immortal. Most of the cops are interested in solving a present day homicide, but Roxanne Hart who is an expert in metallurgy finds an opponent's sword below Madison Square Garden and realizes it's an antique made of the best Toledo steel and priceless. That sends her into some unusual directions to find out just who is this guy the cops picked up near the crime scene.

The immortals ranks have trimmed and as Sean Connery figured it over 400 years ago one of the two left will be the Kurgan, a truly evil man with impressive battle skills played by Clancy Brown. Between Brown and Jeff Kober, these two have brought us some of the best psychotic villains in the last 30 years. Brown is at his worst as the Kurgan.

Which brings me to the flashback where another immortal played by Connery sees in MacLeod the warrior who can defeat the Kurgan for the immortal championship. That is called the Quickening and of course it's not reached on the television series. It's not really explained there either, but trust me it's not something you want the Kurgan to experience.

I was not disappointed in the slightest in the film version of Highlander. The only question I have for the movie and for series is how those immortals manage to conceal those broad swords?

Fantasy, Queen, sword-fights and mild sex. Hooray.

Author: Bob Granger from United Kingdom, in t'middle
23 February 2008

Upon it's release in 1986 I, and millions of other teenage boys, were ready for Highlander. Like others I: (i) thought that Queen were the best group ever (only a year after Live Aid), (ii) had seen and enjoyed Christopher Lambert's previous two films (Greystoke... and Subway), (iii) exploring the idea of immortality, plus (iv) the minor bonus of Sean Connery playing himself again. The trailers on TV had me hooked. The film itself was no disappointment. Russell Mulcahy's direction led him to make the Queen tracks highly prominent. Plus, the story jumps chronologically back and forth (like Pulp Fiction and Momento). Something I always enjoy. In short; The Kurgen (an evil immortal chap) knows that Lambert is immortal and tries to kill him (in 16th century Scotland). The only way this is possible is by decapitation. He fails. Thereafter the two avoid losing their heads in wait for the final battle, in modern day New York. The effects, particularly in the final scenes, are clumsy. But, this does not distract you from a glorious journey through time, music and the love of two women. For a couple of years after the film I, and three of my friends, wore long grey raincoats reminiscent of Lambert's attire. Sad but true. Something unique to Highlander is that if I meet up with my friends from that era occasionally we slip into the bits of script that we can remember: "You cruisin' for a piece of ass?!...", "Don't banish him, burn him!", "You've got your sheepskins on and the boats I made for you...", "It's better to burn out, than to fade awayyy!..."

a sci-fi "classic"

Author: dr_foreman from Brooklyn, NY
26 March 2004

This is, bluntly, not one of sci-fi's finest hours. Leaden acting from Lambert, silly production values (especially during the fight between Connery and Brown), and totally over-the-top music all contribute to dragging this film down to farce level. I've never seen the sequel, but can it really be much worse?

Tons of story elements are ripped off from "Star Wars," which of course ripped off older stories as well. Note that the wise guru character (Connery) is killed by the villain after training the hero to become a master swordsman. Sound familiar? And, as is also the case in "Star Wars," the murdered guru is a much better actor, and a more interesting character, than his disciple. So the moment Connery leaves this movie, my interest tanks. Not that it was really being sustained to begin with.

"Conan the Barbarian" may be dated, but it exudes a raw intensity that this draggy little film can only dream of having. And let's not even begin to compare "Highlander" to "Alien," "Star Trek," or any other halfway decent genre film...

I Liked It The First Time . But...

Author: Theo Robertson from Isle Of Bute, Scotland
10 January 2004

I saw this movie when it came out on video many years ago and enjoyed it immensely , so immensely I looked forward to seeing it again which I did a couple of years later . However I didn`t enjoy it so much the second time and every subsequent time I saw it I enjoyed it less and less . I`ve now seen it 7 or 8 times and now I hate HIGHLANDER .

One problem is the era it was made . With very few exceptions ( A good one is PLATOON ) films from the mid 1980s lack substance , they`re basically eye candy . Look at the scenes that were memorable when you first saw this in the 1980s , they`re like something out of a cola commercial or a pop video and you won`t have to look up the director`s resume to find out that`s where he started . It should also be pointed out that Peter Jackson has changed the whole face of fantasy cinema with his vision of LORD OF THE RINGS , no longer can a critic tolerate camp fantasy , everything must be breath taking and deadly serious . I`ve also can`t help noticing with repeated viewing that that the ethnocentric portrayal of Highland Scots is grossly insulting , no one but no one says things like " Heavens mon , ah peed my kilt " . Actually this probably the film`s worst aspect - The dialogue . It`s stilted , unconvincing , cheesy and often so ridiculous it wouldn`t look out of place in a comic strip . Perhaps that`s why there`s so many periods in this movie where no one says anything ? the audience are being spared further torture . And the terrible dialouge isn`t helped by the fact that the star can`t speak English as a first language in the first place

HIGHLANDER was good at the time but the time to move on has long passed

One of the best films of all time!

Author: Jonathan Horner from Stockton-On-Tees, England
18 April 2000

Well, what can I say about Highlander apart from FANTASTIC! This film has it all, it's got a brilliant storyline, amazing actors and dazzling sound effects.

Christopher Lambert plays Connor Macloed, born over 400 years ago in the Highlands of Scotland, he is immortal. He has to battle down then centuries fighting other immortals (some good some evil) until the time of the gathering, where the few who remain will battle it out until only one remains. The last immortal wins "The Prize" power beyond human imagination.

The actors are brilliant, Lambert is a really good actor but very underrated he plays Connor. Sean Connery, who plays Ramirez, is Connor's mentor, he trains Connor up to fight against other immortals. Clancy Brown plays the Kurgan, he is Connor's nemisis, he is the strongest of all immortals and he is also very evil. Roxanne Hart plays a female scientist and detective, she wants to find out more about Connor, so she's soon hot on his tail.

Highlander is one of those films that you can watch over and over again and you won't get bored. I feel Highlander is a very underrated film as well. Highlander is a very obsessive film, I've been obsessed with it for 2 years now!

Overall, if you haven't seen it yet go and buy it, it's the one to watch!

It is a kind of magic

Author: comps-784-38265 from United Kingdom
26 June 2017

Whilst rather dated to watch now (having been made in the 80's)

what makes this film stand out is how original the story is. This film is quite unique, very different and enthralling, despite having a scotsman play an Egyptian, a french man playing a scotsman.

It jumps back and forth in time telling the story of conan mcloud how he discovered he was immortal back in the 16th century and lived until modern times.

There are various immortals around the world and they can kill each other by decapitation, which they are all trying to do to each other, until there can be only one. The last survivor will get the 'prize.'

A classic film of it's day, well worth a watch if you like the genre.

Sadly they went on to make highlander 2 which was a complete fiasco of nonsense.

I Love It. Always Have. Always Will.

Author: slightlymad22 from United Kingdom
27 May 2017

Continuing my plan to watch every Sean Connery movie in order, I come to Highlander (1986)

Plot In A Paragraph: A group of immortals, who can only die via decapitation, duel through the centuries.

I love Highlander. Always have. Always will. It will always be a disappointment to me none of the sequels or the TV Shows lived up to the potential this universe offered.

Playing the Egyptian Juan Sanchez Villa-Lobos Ramirez (with his normal accent of course) Connery Looks to be having a blast in his second mentor role in a row. He was only on set for 7 days (he had a bet, which he lost, with director Russell Mulcahy he would not finish his scenes in time and had a lucrative clause in place if he didn't) and his screen time is likely to be under twenty minutes, but his presence looms large in the movie

Considering he could barely speak English, Christopher Lambert (one of the nicest celebs I've ever met) is great, Clancy Brown's Kurgan is one of my favourite movie bad guys and Beatrice Edney is gorgeous. Oh and the soundtrack is by my favourite band of all time Queen.

Amazingly Highlander tanked at the domestic box office grossing only $5 million dollars. Highlander found its audience on video, and the rest is history. As for Connery, after his the time away from the screen, it would seem like his luck had not improved with his reinvention as the older, wiser mentor. Despite two great performances, the movies still did little business. That would all change with his next movie though.

Connor Macleod of the clan Macleod

Author: Patiha Head from Los Angeles
28 March 2017

I've marked as spoiler alert but if you haven't seen this to date (been out since 86 by the way) then i don't mind ruining it for you hahaha.. Great concept, loved the charters especially Sean Connery playing the most Scottish Spaniard ever. As they say.. "There can be only one" so make sure you keep your head. I ended up watching all of them including the series. so for my 2 pence its definite worth a watch. Look past the datedness and you will find a great bit of science fiction / fantasy filmmaking with plenty of action. Like the music too