IMDb > Haunted Honeymoon (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Haunted Honeymoon - Great Movie

Author: lizgo from Glasgow United Kingdom
28 September 2005

Just watched this film recently. Its one of those films always on TV and you think you've watched it. Well I hadn't actually watched it for nearly 20 years, what a fantastically funny film! I particularly loved the scene where Gene Wilder in in the basement with the dead body (legs hanging out) and the cops think the legs are Gene's. I thought I was going to have a heart attack there and then, the tears were rolling down my cheeks. Its a great film with a couple of real scary moments too! Highly recommended (as with all Gene Wilder films). I only found out recently that Gilda Radner died shortly after filming this movie. She was Gene's wife in the movie and in real life.

Not all that bad

Author: Ryoko (Mistress-Ryoko) from USA
12 March 2003

I saw this movie a loooong time ago and again just last week. Even though it is not as funny as today's comedy films, it still brings a little giggle every now and then. The movie is about a radio talent named Larry (played by Gene Wilder) who has a deeply rooted fear of anything scary, especially lightning. His fiance Vicki (played by Gilda Radner, a very talented soul) and himself decide to spend a weekend in a haunted mansion. Everything gets kind of weird from there, a sudden thunderstorm, an eccentric aunt (played by Dom Deluise) who claims the house is cursed, and other funky mishaps. Like I said before, the film isn't all that great, but it doesn't completely stink either. If you're in the mood for a stupidly silly movie to watch on a boring evening, then I would recommend "Haunted Honeymoon". I give this movie 3 stars, mostly because of the funny things Larry (Gene) does when he thinks he's in trouble.

One of those movies we picked at random and now watch again and again!

Author: lacraft from Indiana
13 December 2001

my friends and i picked this movie at random, and now everyone i know has been sucked in. It's hilarious...from dom delouise's dance with gilda radner, to gene wilders hilarious performance in the cellar, i was cracking up. It's one of those movies that is just funny...a li'l stupid....but funny never-the-less. Plus, with Gene Wilder and Gilda Radner, who could not love it? It gets a 10!

VERY FUNNY AND SPOOKILY ENJOYABLE!

Author: sixstringscouser from Liverpool, ENGLAND
28 August 2001

Gene Wilder is good in this movie. There are some very funny scenes throughout and, although it may seem quite dated, it's unquestionably enjoyable sometimes. Plenty of laughs and gags to be had. The other actors are cast great in this movie. SPOOKILY FUNNY! 7/10

"This is just a filthy pigment of my diseased imagination." Unscary & unfunny comedy horror.

Author: Paul Andrews (poolandrews@hotmail.com) from UK
8 October 2005

Haunted Honeymoon is set in the 1930's & starts in a radio studio where 'Manhattan Mystery Theatre' is going out live, actor Larry Abbot (Gene Wilder) & his co-star Vickie Pearle (Gila Radner, Wilder's then wife & her last film before she died) are soon to be married. However the engagement to Vickie has set a screw loose in Larry's head & he often can't control himself on-air. The shows sponsor Charlie (Lou Hirsch) is about to fire him when Larry's psychiatrist Brother Dr. Paul Abbot (Paul L. Smith) assures Charlie that he can cure Larry by literally scaring the condition out of him when the entire Abbot family meet up together at their large ancestral mansion to celebrate Larry's engagement. As the guests begin to arrive strange things start to happen, Larry's Aunt Kate (Dom DeLuise) talks of a Werewolf, a family member (Roger Ashton-Griffiths) is murdered shortly after being told the contents of rich Aunt Kate's will, Larry begins to start seeing ghosts & quickly discovers not everything is as it appears...

Staring, co-written & directed by Gene Wilder this is one tragic mess of a film, just about a complete failure on almost every level. The script by Wilder & Terence Marsh is supposed to pay homage to the old dark haunted house mysteries from the 30's like The Cat and the Canary (1939) among others. Unfortunately it also tries to mix other genres as well, comedy, musical & horror, quite simply it doesn't work in the slightest. The comedy elements are so unfunny I couldn't believe it, I did not laugh once during this film. It tries far too hard with all out slapstick, comedy sound effects & sequences which probably looked OK on paper but ended up being far from OK in the finished product. Scenes of Wilder trying to pass a dead body off as a living person by dancing with it in front of two idiotic cops (Billy J. Mitchell & R. J. Bell) is embarrassing to watch, or a scene in which Wilder is sitting on top of a stuffed moose head hiding from a snake is just dumb & Dom Deluise in drag as Aunt Kate is a truly hideous & laugh free image. Not one single moment of supposed comedy in Haunted Honeymoon worked for me, the jokes are far too drawn out & predictable. The mystery elements are better but are all but lost amongst the lame attempts at humour & nothing is explained, the killer is revealed but how he achieved certain things are unclear like them walking down a wall & those crazy mirror effects. There is even a brief musical interlude as Vickie & Aunt Kate perform a little number, once again it just comes across as embarrassing to watch. I also hated the ending, it makes a mockery of everything that precedes it & is just lazy & clichéd. One area in which Haunted Honeymoon does succeed is with it's good atmosphere, the period production design & sets are excellent & really capture the feel of those old horror mysteries. The cinematography & special effects are good & generally speaking Haunted Honeymoon is very well made with that Hollywood polish about it. The acting is pretty bad by all involved including Wilder whom I usually like, perhaps he was more concerned about behind-the-camera activities as director rather than acting in front of it, Dom Deluise is highly annoying & irritating as Aunt Kate. As far as I'm concerned Haunted Honeymoon is a complete failure as either a horror mystery or a comedy & I just can't see what sort of film goer this would appeal too & enjoy it. Haunted Honeymoon was Wilder's last directorial effort to date which says it all really, you have been forewarned!

Cheeziness has never been so much fun...or so bashed.

Author: mark.waltz from United States
13 March 2017

A notorious flop during its initial release, it was the third and last pairing of Gene Wilder and Gilda Radner, and sadly her last film. It's basically a spoof of the Red Skelton "Whistling" series, casting Wilder as a cowardly host of a 1940's radio mystery show who ends up involved in murder himself. He's heading home with fiancée Radner where the greedy family awaits and family matriarch Dom de Luise fears for "her" life. It's another road to the old dark house where every cliché dating back to the silent era is used to create chills and laughter. De Luise is actually two characters, one where "she" turns to the camera in the opening and says, "It's not what you think!"

While de Luise won awards for "Worst Actress", he's actually very funny, performing amusing version of "Balling the Jack" with Gilda who never got that one film role to rise above standard comedy. Radner is likable, perky and untraditionally attractive. Why Mel Brooks or Woody Allen never grabbed her up is a mystery in itself. Add on Jonathan Pryce as a sinister members of the family and other looking eccentrics, and you've got the recipe for old fashioned popcorn movie. No modern classic, but not the disaster that it's been labeled as.

"You think this would frighten me, well, it doesn't"

Author: oOoBarracuda from United States
20 June 2016

Gene Wilder was back at the triple threat in 1986. Writing, directing, and starring in Haunted Honeymoon with wife Gilda Radner and Dom DeLuise, Wilder was at his best. It's funny to watch interviews of Wilder during the filming of Haunted Honeymoon in which he expresses, with exasperation, that he is finished directing and wonders if all the work is worth it. This is funny because the film was his best, funniest, most coherent final product out of all of his directing projects. Much more under control, Haunted Honeymoon was the hilarious comedic masterpiece I always hoped Gene Wilder was capable of.

Larry Abbot (Gene Wilder) and Vickie Pearle (Gilda Radner) are on top of the world as the stars of the hit radio program Manhattan Mystery Theater. The pair is also engaged to be married, adding to their overall joy about life. As the nuptials loom, Larry takes Vicki back to his Aunt Kate's (Dom DeLuise) castle that he grew up in. As his eccentric family members descend upon the castle, his Uncle decides Larry needs to be cured of his frequent bursts of fear. Larry's Uncle, Dr. Paul Abbot (Paul L. Smith) decides that the only way to cure Larry of his disposition is by scaring him to death. The family bands together by forming tricks and scares to spook Larry, all the while Aunt Kate is convinced that one of her family members has turned into a werewolf. Excusing her belief as thoughts from a senile woman, many nefarious instances are ignored and overlooked due to the family's scheme. Are all the instances the result of the lighthearted attempts of his family to cure Larry's fear, or is something more devious going on?

The opening scene at the castle is a great precursor to what the audience is in for at the castle. This great scene, full of wonderful establishing shots of the exterior of the castle is followed by an equally great scene in which Larry and Vicki are seen performing their radio show and answering questions from reporters. The chemistry between Gene Wilder and Gilda Radner was as apparent as it was genuine as the real-life married couple played a doting couple that was to be wed. One of the things this film did the best was the sounds. Both the sound effects for the radio show seen on- screen and the sounds of horror reminiscent of the earliest days in the genre were extraordinary. The comedic writing was exceptional in this film and toned down enough to appreciate it, opposite of Wilder's earlier directorial efforts. There were some great gags in the film, my favorite being Wilder acting out the upper body while his butler acted the lower body in the basement scene being questioned by the police. Dom DeLuise was brilliant in this film as Aunt Kate and remains beautifully in character, playing a woman, through the entire film. This was the first time I had noticed him in a film before and was not disappointed. I wish there had been a bit more substance to the part of Gilda Radner, as I would have enjoyed more from her, but the film in all of its parts was wonderful.

I am so thrilled that Wilder calmed down in the director's chair, as I believed he had potential in the role but was deeply disappointed by his previous attempts. The ensemble of friends was perfect for such a fun film. You really get the idea that the principles spent a lot of time together off-camera, which only added to the greatness we saw on-camera. It was also pretty magical to see Gene Wilder and Gilda Radner acting together as husband and wife to be. Their marriage, ending in the untimely death of Radner, was short so this memento of the film is a treasure for fans of both. Haunted Honeymoon would be the last film Wilder would direct, so, as the saying goes, he saved the best for last.

Amusing But Not Amazing

Author: gavin6942 from United States
8 April 2016

Larry Abbot, speaker in the radio horror shows of Manhattan Mystery Theater wants to marry. For the marriage he takes his fiancée home to the castle where he grew up among his eccentric relatives. His uncle decides that he needs to be cured from a neurotic speech defect and exaggerated bursts of fear: he gives him a shock therapy with palace ghosts.

You really can't dislike any film with Gene Wilder, Gilda Radner and Dom DeLuise. I mean, that is just guaranteed to be fun to watch no matter what happens. But this is really pretty tame. Some good moments of humor, surrounded by lots of just average scenery. And at a very short run time (barely over an hour), it seems odd they didn't have enough jokes to fill the script.

Gilda Radner's last picture show. Dom Deluise is great as Aunt Kate

Author: mike48128 from United States
30 January 2016

There's a lot going for this under-rated good, but not great, "spoof" of recent and old "B-grade murder-haunted house" films. It will remind you of everything from Bob Hope to the Bowery Boys, The 3 Stooges, Abbott & Costello, to "Murder By Death" and "Clue". Filmed in England. with pretty good effects for 1986. Why the low ratings? So many rubber masks, wigs, fake coffins, intentional wires and strings. The ending is confusing as it ends up back at the radio station before they are even married. Was it all just a dream, everything at Aunt Kate's creepy old mansion, with hidden passages and an ancient butler and maid? Dom DeLuise actually won the "Razzie" award for best cross dresser. He is a riot as crazy Aunt Kate. Confusing? Gida and Gene get married twice: First at the "haunted" mansion and again in the city. I suspect that maybe Gilda was already sick and they had to wrap it up quite quickly? It's her last film and it's only 82 min. I enjoyed it because of her bravo performance alone and that's why I rated it up so high. Is it a great film? Hardly, but everybody seemed to be having a lot of fun making it!

Retold Young Frankenstein

Author: Karl from United States
10 January 2012

While enjoyable (if you haven't seen Young Frankenstein), it reuses a LOT of the gags from the earlier movie. I, having seen, and re-watched, YF a thousand times found it a humorous homage to the earlier movie... with some fascinating twists, but without too much to set it apart. Perhaps it would make a better sequel, but... alas, it is too late to go back and change time. Gene Wilder's character seems, at times, a mix of Charlie & The Chocolate Factory mixed with his YF character, in the same oddities and hair-trigger attitude, with gags from YF mixed in. The supporting cast were rather amusing in their antics, however, if in some cases rather forgettable. However, some managed to make themselves quite outstanding, such as the Butler, who was rather amusing with his interchange with the Maid. Jonathan Pryce, playing a cousin or some such (I just got done watching it and I can't recall the names, hrm) managed to play a hippy-esque man, which is actually quite amusing, especially since he was one of the potential villains and he pulled off the suspense quite well. Dom DeLuise was, as always, quite funny... if a little odd and fabulous.

Page 2 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]