Haunted Honeymoon (1986) Poster

way underrated
esult4 March 2009
This is a surprisingly well-made movie. It's funny, sure, but not in the punchliney way you'd expect. It's more that the whole thing is just so unexpected. Gene Wilder is completely charming and does some great understated acting in this film; Gilda Radner is funny everywhere she goes. Dom DeLouise pulls off a great drag character, and no one works too hard on their jokes--it's just a good time, filmed with surprising confidence. Though it looks like it's going to be another bad script with tired jokes for a niche videostore crowd, it's actually an extension of many of Mel Brooks' best directorial moments. It even has a Brooksian meta- narrative about film-making. I imagine it might look silly and dated on a TV screen with a movie channel logo in the corner, but when it's treated like a film instead of a schlock night, it's a respectable piece of work well worth anyone's time.
19 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Haunted Honeymoon is enjoyable for Gilda Radner's final movie
tavm28 August 2006
Having heard for years how awful Haunted Honeymoon was and long wanting to see Gilda Radner in her last movie, I taped this last night while the Emmys were on. Now that I've seen it, I can now say nobody in the cast and crew have anything to be ashamed about. I love the performances in the radio studio with Radner and Gene Wilder playing characters in a show with the same title as film. Dom DeLuise is amusing as Aunt Kate. But I want to really praise the hard-of-hearing butler Pfister (Bryan Pringle) who, because Wilder tells him his fiancée is slightly deaf, keeps shouting at Radner. And, yes, like many other comments here, I love Wilder's using someone else's legs as his in front of policemen. I also loved the "Ballin' the Jack" number between DeLuise and Radner and Radner's joke about the bug on the windshield. So in short, if you're a fan of all three stars, seek this out by all means!
22 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Just brilliant!
Another film which no-one else seems to like, but which I find enjoyable. I think some people should give this picture a second chance. Gene Wilder plays a neurotic radio star called Larry Abbott, and on the eve of his wedding to co-star Vicky Pearle (the late Mrs. Wilder, Gilda Radner) his memories of a childhood trauma cause him to experience bizarre mood swings. His psychiatrist uncle arranges for him to spend the weekend at his aunt's Gothic mansion. The whole bizarre family gathers and a series of madcap events occur as a mysterious killer tries to bump Wilder off to get the family fortune. Wilder is not as funny as he usually is. He only really shines with the 'legs' joke in the cellar, but his co-stars generate a lot of smiles, especially the dragged-up Dom DeLuise as Great Aunt Kate, Bryan Pringle as the alcoholic butler Pfister and Gilda Radner herself raises mucho smiles. A young Jonathan Pryce is suitably hissable as bad guy Charlie. John Morris' music score is as excellent as ever as are the sets by Terence Marsh (THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION) who also co-wrote the script with Wilder. Just give it a chance.
18 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Laughter and Sin, this is a charming underrated gem
Paul Evans17 August 2015
I've loved Haunted Honeymoon ever since I was a kid, and saw it in the Cinema. Naturally as you get older you see things with different eyes, and what I remembered as a scary tale of Werewolves is actually a rather sweet, funny and hugely entertaining trip down memory lane.

It's tragic to think that this was Gilda Rander's before she tragically lost her life, but she gives a sparkling performance and bounced of husband Gene Wilder beautifully.

It's a great little tail of Werewolves, deception, Transvestism and jealousy.

I have never been able to decide who's the funniest, whether it's Aunt Kate or Rachel, both are so much fun, Rachel, played by Ann Way is a joy, especially when she's bashing poor Pfister about, she's a diminutive terror.

The music is really nice the whole way through, it's so dramatic, it fits in great with the film, real 80's Chiller feel to it.

I am stunned by the bad reviews that surround this film, to me it's just a bundle of fun. Take Dom LeLuise's performance for what it is, hugely over the top, but truly funny.

Best scene has to be Eagle Rock, which is a show stopper, I love it, Gilda had gorgeous legs. You can't help but smile watching it.

What happens to Larry's old girlfriend Susan, where does she go?? Was the Werewolf talking to Susan in the Wine Cellar, don't know.

I grew up on this film and I still love it, sure it's daft, but it doesn't try to be anything else.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Elswet22 January 2004
Brilliantly witty horror/comedy starring the best husband & wife team in the genre of comedy.

Gene Wilder is, admittedly, an acquired taste. His humor is expressive and intelligent and not for everyone. But who can not love sweet little Gilda Radner? This is one of the few collaborations between the husband & wife team of Wilder and Radner, and one of Wilder's best attempts, in this critic's opinion.

While there are a few plot holes here, this movie was not meant to be an Oscar contender, nor was it made to be thought-inspiring. This is pure entertainment which hits dead on the mark.

Gilda is sweet, competent, and assertive here as Vickie Pearle, fiancé to Larry Abbott (Wilder). The couple work as radio stars for a weekly horror broadcast, but Larry is having some anxiety problems, and it's up to Vickie to help keep him glued together. Just as their show is starting to top the charts, Larry begins to show serious signs of wear, and now his uncle, Paul Abbott, steps in and takes Larry's reins.

It seems Dr. Abbott knows how to cure Larry's problem, but with murder, treachery, and intrigue all around him, will Larry ever be cured of his anxiety?

This is a wonderfully fun movie with an all-star cast, which bears a definite Agatha Christie feel about it, even with Dom DeLuise in drag!

I adore this movie, and watch it often.

It rates an 8.4/10 from...

the Fiend :.
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent movie with a certain cult value...
isinofre21 August 2008
We purchased this movie because we learned that Gilda starred in it right before her death. I had wanted to introduce my daughter to Gilda's interesting style of humor and, since she loves Gene Wilder so much (we watch Young Frankenstein twice a week, at least), she instantly loved this one, as well.

At first, the plot line is terribly hard to fathom and I had to watch it several times to catch all the straggling ends. However, once you understand what's really happening, the story within the story within the story, then you can really begin to enjoy the subtle jokes, the attention to detail in the sets and costumes, the excellent performances by one and all. Of course, Gene and Gilda are enchanting together and she shines in her role as only she could do. Dom DeLuise played the Great-Aunt perfectly, but my favorite in the movie was Jonathan Pryce whose performance was exceptional. My grand-daughter's favorite part of the movie is Gilda and Dom's singing and dancing to "Ball in the Jack". We have to play that part over and over for her so she can dance with them.

Haunted Honeymoon is worth watching several times and worth returning to, often.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A bizarre late-night laugh
musicnina5 January 2002
This is the sort of off-the-wall comedy that is perfect for the wee hours -- so long as you don't wake up the rest of the household, either screaming or laughing! DeLuise and Radner were especially good (as you might expect) -- it would be hard to beat their duet of "Balling the Jack." If you're looking for a logical plotline, you will have to go elsewhere. There are more twists and turns and unresolved moments than actual dialogue, I believe. However, if totally bizarre is what you're after, this is it! I found it thoroughly enjoyable.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"You think this would frighten me, well, it doesn't"
oOoBarracuda20 June 2016
Gene Wilder was back at the triple threat in 1986. Writing, directing, and starring in Haunted Honeymoon with wife Gilda Radner and Dom DeLuise, Wilder was at his best. It's funny to watch interviews of Wilder during the filming of Haunted Honeymoon in which he expresses, with exasperation, that he is finished directing and wonders if all the work is worth it. This is funny because the film was his best, funniest, most coherent final product out of all of his directing projects. Much more under control, Haunted Honeymoon was the hilarious comedic masterpiece I always hoped Gene Wilder was capable of.

Larry Abbot (Gene Wilder) and Vickie Pearle (Gilda Radner) are on top of the world as the stars of the hit radio program Manhattan Mystery Theater. The pair is also engaged to be married, adding to their overall joy about life. As the nuptials loom, Larry takes Vicki back to his Aunt Kate's (Dom DeLuise) castle that he grew up in. As his eccentric family members descend upon the castle, his Uncle decides Larry needs to be cured of his frequent bursts of fear. Larry's Uncle, Dr. Paul Abbot (Paul L. Smith) decides that the only way to cure Larry of his disposition is by scaring him to death. The family bands together by forming tricks and scares to spook Larry, all the while Aunt Kate is convinced that one of her family members has turned into a werewolf. Excusing her belief as thoughts from a senile woman, many nefarious instances are ignored and overlooked due to the family's scheme. Are all the instances the result of the lighthearted attempts of his family to cure Larry's fear, or is something more devious going on?

The opening scene at the castle is a great precursor to what the audience is in for at the castle. This great scene, full of wonderful establishing shots of the exterior of the castle is followed by an equally great scene in which Larry and Vicki are seen performing their radio show and answering questions from reporters. The chemistry between Gene Wilder and Gilda Radner was as apparent as it was genuine as the real-life married couple played a doting couple that was to be wed. One of the things this film did the best was the sounds. Both the sound effects for the radio show seen on- screen and the sounds of horror reminiscent of the earliest days in the genre were extraordinary. The comedic writing was exceptional in this film and toned down enough to appreciate it, opposite of Wilder's earlier directorial efforts. There were some great gags in the film, my favorite being Wilder acting out the upper body while his butler acted the lower body in the basement scene being questioned by the police. Dom DeLuise was brilliant in this film as Aunt Kate and remains beautifully in character, playing a woman, through the entire film. This was the first time I had noticed him in a film before and was not disappointed. I wish there had been a bit more substance to the part of Gilda Radner, as I would have enjoyed more from her, but the film in all of its parts was wonderful.

I am so thrilled that Wilder calmed down in the director's chair, as I believed he had potential in the role but was deeply disappointed by his previous attempts. The ensemble of friends was perfect for such a fun film. You really get the idea that the principles spent a lot of time together off-camera, which only added to the greatness we saw on-camera. It was also pretty magical to see Gene Wilder and Gilda Radner acting together as husband and wife to be. Their marriage, ending in the untimely death of Radner, was short so this memento of the film is a treasure for fans of both. Haunted Honeymoon would be the last film Wilder would direct, so, as the saying goes, he saved the best for last.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
sixstringscouser28 August 2001
Gene Wilder is good in this movie. There are some very funny scenes throughout and, although it may seem quite dated, it's unquestionably enjoyable sometimes. Plenty of laughs and gags to be had. The other actors are cast great in this movie. SPOOKILY FUNNY! 7/10
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"This is just a filthy pigment of my diseased imagination." Unscary & unfunny comedy horror.
Paul Andrews8 October 2005
Haunted Honeymoon is set in the 1930's & starts in a radio studio where 'Manhattan Mystery Theatre' is going out live, actor Larry Abbot (Gene Wilder) & his co-star Vickie Pearle (Gila Radner, Wilder's then wife & her last film before she died) are soon to be married. However the engagement to Vickie has set a screw loose in Larry's head & he often can't control himself on-air. The shows sponsor Charlie (Lou Hirsch) is about to fire him when Larry's psychiatrist Brother Dr. Paul Abbot (Paul L. Smith) assures Charlie that he can cure Larry by literally scaring the condition out of him when the entire Abbot family meet up together at their large ancestral mansion to celebrate Larry's engagement. As the guests begin to arrive strange things start to happen, Larry's Aunt Kate (Dom DeLuise) talks of a Werewolf, a family member (Roger Ashton-Griffiths) is murdered shortly after being told the contents of rich Aunt Kate's will, Larry begins to start seeing ghosts & quickly discovers not everything is as it appears...

Staring, co-written & directed by Gene Wilder this is one tragic mess of a film, just about a complete failure on almost every level. The script by Wilder & Terence Marsh is supposed to pay homage to the old dark haunted house mysteries from the 30's like The Cat and the Canary (1939) among others. Unfortunately it also tries to mix other genres as well, comedy, musical & horror, quite simply it doesn't work in the slightest. The comedy elements are so unfunny I couldn't believe it, I did not laugh once during this film. It tries far too hard with all out slapstick, comedy sound effects & sequences which probably looked OK on paper but ended up being far from OK in the finished product. Scenes of Wilder trying to pass a dead body off as a living person by dancing with it in front of two idiotic cops (Billy J. Mitchell & R. J. Bell) is embarrassing to watch, or a scene in which Wilder is sitting on top of a stuffed moose head hiding from a snake is just dumb & Dom Deluise in drag as Aunt Kate is a truly hideous & laugh free image. Not one single moment of supposed comedy in Haunted Honeymoon worked for me, the jokes are far too drawn out & predictable. The mystery elements are better but are all but lost amongst the lame attempts at humour & nothing is explained, the killer is revealed but how he achieved certain things are unclear like them walking down a wall & those crazy mirror effects. There is even a brief musical interlude as Vickie & Aunt Kate perform a little number, once again it just comes across as embarrassing to watch. I also hated the ending, it makes a mockery of everything that precedes it & is just lazy & clichéd. One area in which Haunted Honeymoon does succeed is with it's good atmosphere, the period production design & sets are excellent & really capture the feel of those old horror mysteries. The cinematography & special effects are good & generally speaking Haunted Honeymoon is very well made with that Hollywood polish about it. The acting is pretty bad by all involved including Wilder whom I usually like, perhaps he was more concerned about behind-the-camera activities as director rather than acting in front of it, Dom Deluise is highly annoying & irritating as Aunt Kate. As far as I'm concerned Haunted Honeymoon is a complete failure as either a horror mystery or a comedy & I just can't see what sort of film goer this would appeal too & enjoy it. Haunted Honeymoon was Wilder's last directorial effort to date which says it all really, you have been forewarned!
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of those movies we picked at random and now watch again and again!
lacraft13 December 2001
my friends and i picked this movie at random, and now everyone i know has been sucked in. It's hilarious...from dom delouise's dance with gilda radner, to gene wilders hilarious performance in the cellar, i was cracking up. It's one of those movies that is just funny...a li'l stupid....but funny never-the-less. Plus, with Gene Wilder and Gilda Radner, who could not love it? It gets a 10!
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
buffy-348 May 1999
This movie was adorable. It was funny, and kept me interested. But then again who wouldn't be entertained when Gilda Radner's on screen?
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Young Frankenstein wanna be
jrs-816 October 1999
"Haunted Honeymoon" had all the ear marks for a great comedy. A good setting with mood and a great comedic cast. Sadly the results are dismal as the laughs (if you can even call them that) are few and far between. The film's one big laugh is a direct steal from Wilder's classic "Young Frankenstein" bit involving the arm of a corpse coming out at a most inopportune time. And you would think that Dom DeLuise in drag might elicit a chuckle or two...but only groans of dismay.
8 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Haunted Honeymoon - Great Movie
lizgo28 September 2005
Just watched this film recently. Its one of those films always on TV and you think you've watched it. Well I hadn't actually watched it for nearly 20 years, what a fantastically funny film! I particularly loved the scene where Gene Wilder in in the basement with the dead body (legs hanging out) and the cops think the legs are Gene's. I thought I was going to have a heart attack there and then, the tears were rolling down my cheeks. Its a great film with a couple of real scary moments too! Highly recommended (as with all Gene Wilder films). I only found out recently that Gilda Radner died shortly after filming this movie. She was Gene's wife in the movie and in real life.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
SG-1UK28 October 2004
This is a fantastic film, with the extremely funny Gene Wilder behind it. It is set in the Early 20th Century, and Gene and his future wife are two radio actors, and before they get married they go to his family house, where strange goings on happen. This is a great film, with silly humor and great for a laugh. If you do not like silly comedy's then this may not be your cup of tea, Gene Wilder is a comedy King and he shows it in this film. I would compare this film to Young Frankenstien, and that too is a brilliant film. I give this four and a half out of five.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I highly recommend this comedy/murder mystery.
sirjohn33 February 2003
This is a film done in the 20s radio show style in the beginning. And portrays Gene Wilder's character as a very popular, yet troubled actor who is about to marry his on air co-star played by Gilda Radner. As the story unfolds, the laughs are too many to count. Also, the murder mystery really captures your interest. There is a huge selection of actors that play their parts so well. One being Dom Delouise, Who plays Larry Abbot's Aunt. His lines are outrageously funny. Don't delay, see it right away!
I Don't Care What Anyone Says, I Like This Movie
BulldogSkin9 February 2002
I grew up on this movie. Comedy Central used to air it about 5 times a week (sometimes more often). My mother and father were big Gene Wilder/Gilda Radner fans and they were particularly fond of this movie. Whenever it aired, we watched it. Maybe that's part of my allegiance. But I sincerely don't believe that there is much else funnier than Dom Deluise sliding down a railing, dressed in drag. I've dreamed of this movie after watching it, and even the dream was funny. I admit, the humor isn't very high-brow, but that's OK. The "I have to use the can!" and "get happy" sequences are pretty funny. Like I said before, the movie isn't going to stimulate anyone intellectually. But if you just tune your mind to "pun," this movie should amuse you enough.
Great Movie
Elffox5 November 1998
This is a very funny movie. It is something to watch when you want to get in a halloween mood but need to laugh.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Cheeziness has never been so much fun...or so bashed.
mark.waltz13 March 2017
A notorious flop during its initial release, it was the third and last pairing of Gene Wilder and Gilda Radner, and sadly her last film. It's basically a spoof of the Red Skelton "Whistling" series, casting Wilder as a cowardly host of a 1940's radio mystery show who ends up involved in murder himself. He's heading home with fiancée Radner where the greedy family awaits and family matriarch Dom de Luise fears for "her" life. It's another road to the old dark house where every cliché dating back to the silent era is used to create chills and laughter. De Luise is actually two characters, one where "she" turns to the camera in the opening and says, "It's not what you think!"

While de Luise won awards for "Worst Actress", he's actually very funny, performing amusing version of "Balling the Jack" with Gilda who never got that one film role to rise above standard comedy. Radner is likable, perky and untraditionally attractive. Why Mel Brooks or Woody Allen never grabbed her up is a mystery in itself. Add on Jonathan Pryce as a sinister members of the family and other looking eccentrics, and you've got the recipe for old fashioned popcorn movie. No modern classic, but not the disaster that it's been labeled as.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Gilda Radner's last picture show. Dom Deluise is great as Aunt Kate
mike4812830 January 2016
There's a lot going for this under-rated good, but not great, "spoof" of recent and old "B-grade murder-haunted house" films. It will remind you of everything from Bob Hope to the Bowery Boys, The 3 Stooges, Abbott & Costello, to "Murder By Death" and "Clue". Filmed in England. with pretty good effects for 1986. Why the low ratings? So many rubber masks, wigs, fake coffins, intentional wires and strings. The ending is confusing as it ends up back at the radio station before they are even married. Was it all just a dream, everything at Aunt Kate's creepy old mansion, with hidden passages and an ancient butler and maid? Dom DeLuise actually won the "Razzie" award for best cross dresser. He is a riot as crazy Aunt Kate. Confusing? Gida and Gene get married twice: First at the "haunted" mansion and again in the city. I suspect that maybe Gilda was already sick and they had to wrap it up quite quickly? It's her last film and it's only 82 min. I enjoyed it because of her bravo performance alone and that's why I rated it up so high. Is it a great film? Hardly, but everybody seemed to be having a lot of fun making it!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not all that bad
Mistress-Ryoko12 March 2003
I saw this movie a loooong time ago and again just last week. Even though it is not as funny as today's comedy films, it still brings a little giggle every now and then. The movie is about a radio talent named Larry (played by Gene Wilder) who has a deeply rooted fear of anything scary, especially lightning. His fiance Vicki (played by Gilda Radner, a very talented soul) and himself decide to spend a weekend in a haunted mansion. Everything gets kind of weird from there, a sudden thunderstorm, an eccentric aunt (played by Dom Deluise) who claims the house is cursed, and other funky mishaps. Like I said before, the film isn't all that great, but it doesn't completely stink either. If you're in the mood for a stupidly silly movie to watch on a boring evening, then I would recommend "Haunted Honeymoon". I give this movie 3 stars, mostly because of the funny things Larry (Gene) does when he thinks he's in trouble.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great Performances; Lousy Movie
gftbiloxi18 April 2005
I enjoy Gene Wilder, and certainly I'll be the first to say that he has done some wonderful work both on screen and behind the scenes in many films. But he is also the frothy sort of artist who is at his best when firmly grounded by the restraint of a hardnosed director--and for HAUNTED HONEYMOON he had no such restraints. He was writer, director, and star, and the result is way too much froth and not nearly enough substance.

The premise of the film is clever, a parody of the spooky-comedies of the 1940s and 1950s that were popularized by the likes of Red Skelton, Abbot and Costello, and Crosby and Hope. Two radio stars (Wilder and Radner) have become engaged and they rush off to the groom's ancestral home for the wedding... and promptly encounter everything from cobras in the closet to werewolves in the winecellar. And the script and production values are often quite amusing, with repeated references to James Whale's 1930s classic THE OLD DARK HOUSE, and even the score borrows a few phrases from "I've Written A Letter To Daddy" from WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE? But the plot goes no where, and not even the stars of the film can save it.

Which brings us to why the film is nonetheless worth watching. Wilder is excessive, to say the least, but his failings here are as director and writer; as a performer he manages quite well. And his co-star is the late and much missed Gilda Radner. Sadly, Radner never found her place on the big screen before her untimely death, and HAUNTED HONEYMOON is no exception; Wilder doesn't seem to know how best to display her talents. But even so, there are moments when she illuminates the film to a remarkable comic degree, giving the viewer a glimpse of what might have been if the role had been more carefully tailored to her talents. And then there is Dom DeLuise, who offers a hilarious throw-away performance in drag as Aunt Kate... And when Gilda and Dom join forces to perform the old Vaudeville song "Ballin' the Jack" the result is pure movie magic.

Unfortunately, though, it isn't enough. The story is just too weak, too many of the one-liners fall flat, too often cast members who might have given great comic performances are neglected. I'll give it three stars... one each for Wilder, Radner, and DeLuise. But I'm erring on the generous side. Incidentally, this film is not to be confused with a Robert Young-Constance Cummings effort of the 1930s, also entitled HAUNTED HONEYMOON and based on the play and novel by mystery author Dorothy Sayers--a very good film, by the way, which sad to say has never been released to the home market.

Gary F. Taylor, aka GFT, Amazon Reviewer
5 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not one single thing was funny
helpless_dancer1 February 2000
Nervous radio entertainer and his girlfriend are going to be married. So to unwind a bit, they go to his family estate which turns out to be a really huge castle replete with all manner of weird characters. Some guy dressed up like Lon Chaney was bumping folks off, then running to his secret hideout. I suppose he had his reasons. The cute little twist at the end did nothing for the film either.
gridoon28 December 1999
"Haunted Honeymoon" suffers from a classic case of "all setup, no payoff". It keeps introducing new eccentric characters, then drops them and gives them nothing to do. It has a promising (and game) cast, but wastes it. And it can't seem to find a consistent tone; for example, that brutal fistfight near the end is an unforgivable mistake.

The film does have a few scattered laughs (Wilder's version of the song "Get Happy"), and Gilda Radner has a wonderful presence, but nothing can really redeem this confusing and convoluted mess.
5 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fun combination of horror and comedy. I wish the movie had more laughs in it though.
Boba_Fett113817 July 2007
It's amazing that a movie with such a concept and people involved wasn't more fun to watch. The movie seriously lacked some good laughs at times and I feel that the movie in its core had far more potential.

It's obvious that Gene Wilder wanted to make a Mel Brooks kind of movie. The movie definitely has the same atmosphere and ideas as "Young Frankenstein". Unfortunately its not as good and it shows how much quality Mel Brooks actually has, to have the skill to have simple, predictable and silly humor and still make an hilarious and classic movie with it.

The humor in this movie is just as absurd and predictable and unfortunately it just doesn't always work out.

The story is totally uninteresting and just serves as an excuse to put as many crazy characters as possible into the movie. It's a weird looking bunch with Dom DeLuise playing a woman! Could be me but I thought the sight of him was pretty darn hilarious! Halve of the time I didn't even bother to wanted to know what the story was all about, it was that absurd really!

The movie of course also features Gene Wilder but unfortunately he hasn't given himself better material and dialog to work with. So it's hardly his best or most comical role. The movie further more also features Jonathan Pryce, in one of his earlier movie roles.

Quite frankly I don't understand who the movie has such a bad reputation. I mean the movie is not all that bad. Yes, you have to like these sort of movies (Mel Brooks-type of humor movies) but I've seen far worse genre movies receiving far better criticism. It just doesn't seem really fair.

The special effects are definitely acceptable for its genre and year it was made in. So was its make-up and its entire professional visual look.

If you like these type of movies its very well worth seeing, though it's definitely not the best movie in its genre that is around.

3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this