IMDb > Haunted Honeymoon (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Haunted Honeymoon

Haunted Honeymoon More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Haunted Honeymoon is enjoyable for Gilda Radner's final movie

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
28 August 2006

Having heard for years how awful Haunted Honeymoon was and long wanting to see Gilda Radner in her last movie, I taped this last night while the Emmys were on. Now that I've seen it, I can now say nobody in the cast and crew have anything to be ashamed about. I love the performances in the radio studio with Radner and Gene Wilder playing characters in a show with the same title as film. Dom DeLuise is amusing as Aunt Kate. But I want to really praise the hard-of-hearing butler Pfister (Bryan Pringle) who, because Wilder tells him his fiancée is slightly deaf, keeps shouting at Radner. And, yes, like many other comments here, I love Wilder's using someone else's legs as his in front of policemen. I also loved the "Ballin' the Jack" number between DeLuise and Radner and Radner's joke about the bug on the windshield. So in short, if you're a fan of all three stars, seek this out by all means!

Just brilliant!

Author: Anthony Bannon (bannonanthony) from Annalong, N. Ireland
22 March 2001

Another film which no-one else seems to like, but which I find enjoyable. I think some people should give this picture a second chance. Gene Wilder plays a neurotic radio star called Larry Abbott, and on the eve of his wedding to co-star Vicky Pearle (the late Mrs. Wilder, Gilda Radner) his memories of a childhood trauma cause him to experience bizarre mood swings. His psychiatrist uncle arranges for him to spend the weekend at his aunt's Gothic mansion. The whole bizarre family gathers and a series of madcap events occur as a mysterious killer tries to bump Wilder off to get the family fortune. Wilder is not as funny as he usually is. He only really shines with the 'legs' joke in the cellar, but his co-stars generate a lot of smiles, especially the dragged-up Dom DeLuise as Great Aunt Kate, Bryan Pringle as the alcoholic butler Pfister and Gilda Radner herself raises mucho smiles. A young Jonathan Pryce is suitably hissable as bad guy Charlie. John Morris' music score is as excellent as ever as are the sets by Terence Marsh (THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION) who also co-wrote the script with Wilder. Just give it a chance.

way underrated

Author: esult from United States
4 March 2009

This is a surprisingly well-made movie. It's funny, sure, but not in the punchliney way you'd expect. It's more that the whole thing is just so unexpected. Gene Wilder is completely charming and does some great understated acting in this film; Gilda Radner is funny everywhere she goes. Dom DeLouise pulls off a great drag character, and no one works too hard on their jokes--it's just a good time, filmed with surprising confidence. Though it looks like it's going to be another bad script with tired jokes for a niche videostore crowd, it's actually an extension of many of Mel Brooks' best directorial moments. It even has a Brooksian meta- narrative about film-making. I imagine it might look silly and dated on a TV screen with a movie channel logo in the corner, but when it's treated like a film instead of a schlock night, it's a respectable piece of work well worth anyone's time.

Author: Elswet from .: Fiendish Writings in the Dark :.
22 January 2004

Brilliantly witty horror/comedy starring the best husband & wife team in the genre of comedy.

Gene Wilder is, admittedly, an acquired taste. His humor is expressive and intelligent and not for everyone. But who can not love sweet little Gilda Radner? This is one of the few collaborations between the husband & wife team of Wilder and Radner, and one of Wilder's best attempts, in this critic's opinion.

While there are a few plot holes here, this movie was not meant to be an Oscar contender, nor was it made to be thought-inspiring. This is pure entertainment which hits dead on the mark.

Gilda is sweet, competent, and assertive here as Vickie Pearle, fiancé to Larry Abbott (Wilder). The couple work as radio stars for a weekly horror broadcast, but Larry is having some anxiety problems, and it's up to Vickie to help keep him glued together. Just as their show is starting to top the charts, Larry begins to show serious signs of wear, and now his uncle, Paul Abbott, steps in and takes Larry's reins.

It seems Dr. Abbott knows how to cure Larry's problem, but with murder, treachery, and intrigue all around him, will Larry ever be cured of his anxiety?

This is a wonderfully fun movie with an all-star cast, which bears a definite Agatha Christie feel about it, even with Dom DeLuise in drag!

I adore this movie, and watch it often.

It rates an 8.4/10 from...

the Fiend :.

Excellent movie with a certain cult value...

Author: isinofre from United States
21 August 2008

We purchased this movie because we learned that Gilda starred in it right before her death. I had wanted to introduce my daughter to Gilda's interesting style of humor and, since she loves Gene Wilder so much (we watch Young Frankenstein twice a week, at least), she instantly loved this one, as well.

At first, the plot line is terribly hard to fathom and I had to watch it several times to catch all the straggling ends. However, once you understand what's really happening, the story within the story within the story, then you can really begin to enjoy the subtle jokes, the attention to detail in the sets and costumes, the excellent performances by one and all. Of course, Gene and Gilda are enchanting together and she shines in her role as only she could do. Dom DeLuise played the Great-Aunt perfectly, but my favorite in the movie was Jonathan Pryce whose performance was exceptional. My grand-daughter's favorite part of the movie is Gilda and Dom's singing and dancing to "Ball in the Jack". We have to play that part over and over for her so she can dance with them.

Haunted Honeymoon is worth watching several times and worth returning to, often.

A bizarre late-night laugh

Author: musicnina from Lansing, MI
5 January 2002

This is the sort of off-the-wall comedy that is perfect for the wee hours -- so long as you don't wake up the rest of the household, either screaming or laughing! DeLuise and Radner were especially good (as you might expect) -- it would be hard to beat their duet of "Balling the Jack." If you're looking for a logical plotline, you will have to go elsewhere. There are more twists and turns and unresolved moments than actual dialogue, I believe. However, if totally bizarre is what you're after, this is it! I found it thoroughly enjoyable.

Laughter and Sin, this is a charming underrated gem

Author: Paul Evans from Swansea, United Kingdom
17 August 2015

I've loved Haunted Honeymoon ever since I was a kid, and saw it in the Cinema. Naturally as you get older you see things with different eyes, and what I remembered as a scary tale of Werewolves is actually a rather sweet, funny and hugely entertaining trip down memory lane.

It's tragic to think that this was Gilda Rander's before she tragically lost her life, but she gives a sparkling performance and bounced of husband Gene Wilder beautifully.

It's a great little tail of Werewolves, deception, Transvestism and jealousy.

I have never been able to decide who's the funniest, whether it's Aunt Kate or Rachel, both are so much fun, Rachel, played by Ann Way is a joy, especially when she's bashing poor Pfister about, she's a diminutive terror.

The music is really nice the whole way through, it's so dramatic, it fits in great with the film, real 80's Chiller feel to it.

I am stunned by the bad reviews that surround this film, to me it's just a bundle of fun. Take Dom LeLuise's performance for what it is, hugely over the top, but truly funny.

Best scene has to be Eagle Rock, which is a show stopper, I love it, Gilda had gorgeous legs. You can't help but smile watching it.

What happens to Larry's old girlfriend Susan, where does she go?? Was the Werewolf talking to Susan in the Wine Cellar, don't know.

I grew up on this film and I still love it, sure it's daft, but it doesn't try to be anything else.

Haunted Honeymoon - Great Movie

Author: lizgo from Glasgow United Kingdom
28 September 2005

Just watched this film recently. Its one of those films always on TV and you think you've watched it. Well I hadn't actually watched it for nearly 20 years, what a fantastically funny film! I particularly loved the scene where Gene Wilder in in the basement with the dead body (legs hanging out) and the cops think the legs are Gene's. I thought I was going to have a heart attack there and then, the tears were rolling down my cheeks. Its a great film with a couple of real scary moments too! Highly recommended (as with all Gene Wilder films). I only found out recently that Gilda Radner died shortly after filming this movie. She was Gene's wife in the movie and in real life.

"Underrated Horror Comedy!"

Author: gwnightscream from United States
5 November 2012

Gene Wilder directs & stars in this 1986 horror comedy co-starring Gilda Radner, Dom DeLuise, Jonathan Pryce and Paul L. Smith. This is sort of a send-up of the 1941 classic, "The Wolf Man" where we meet radio actor, Larry Abbott (Wilder) who is celebrating his wedding engagement to radio actress, Vickie Pearle (Radner). He takes her to the Abbott castle where he grew up for a family reunion hosted by his Aunt, Kate (DeLuise). Larry has a phobia in which he's scared of thunder and lightning since he was a child. Pryce (Brazil) plays Larry's cousin, Charles and Smith (Crimewave) plays Larry's uncle, Dr. Paul Abbott who plans on scaring Larry to death to cure him and has the whole family in on it. Soon, a mysterious killer who may be a werewolf starts stalking the castle and targets Larry. I've liked this film since I was a kid and think it's underrated. Wilder & Radner were great together, the rest of the cast is good as well as John Morris' score. I recommend this.

Author: Dominic Wasden from York, England
28 October 2004

This is a fantastic film, with the extremely funny Gene Wilder behind it. It is set in the Early 20th Century, and Gene and his future wife are two radio actors, and before they get married they go to his family house, where strange goings on happen. This is a great film, with silly humor and great for a laugh. If you do not like silly comedy's then this may not be your cup of tea, Gene Wilder is a comedy King and he shows it in this film. I would compare this film to Young Frankenstien, and that too is a brilliant film. I give this four and a half out of five.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]