IMDb > Children of a Lesser God (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Children of a Lesser God

Children of a Lesser God More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Truly, a match made in... Hell

Author: Rich Wright
9 April 2015

If I'm watching a film about two unlikable people that the script is desperate to put together, you can forgive me for not being too enthusiastic. In Children Of A Lesser God there's a teacher called James with an 'unconventional' style of doing things (When are we going to see a NORMAL educator doing NORMAL things?) That 'SURPRISE SURPRISE' work on his unruly class. He's just started at a school for the deaf you see, and in true Dead Poet's Society style, is the only live wire in a sea of formality. This part of the movie, as derivative as it is, is at least interesting.

Then we meet the love interest Sarah, played by Oscar winner Marlee Matlin. She's 25, a former student there who's stayed on as a cleaner. For some reason, James starts to unabashedly stalk her and won't take "NO" for an answer when propositioning her for a date. She eventually gives in (Perhaps to just shut him up) and 'SHOCK HORROR' her emotions turn from dislike to l'amour almost in the space of one dinner.

Another thing to note about her is her DARK AND TROUBLED PAST which shows itself in random screaming fits that arise for no particular reason. Yeah, she's had it bad... But flying off the handle at the slightest indiscretion didn't endear her to me one bit. So, you have the creepy stalker teacher who's OH SO WILD & WACKY on one hand, and the unstable deaf girl who takes offense at virtually everything on the other. Am I supposed to root for these irritating boors? No dice.

I'll say one thing for them, though... They TRULY belong together. 5/10

More than watchable, thanks to a fine performance by Marlee Matlin

Author: brchthethird from United States
23 January 2015

CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD seemed like it would feel right at home on the Lifetime Network. There's nothing wrong with that, per se, except that those types of films tend to go for the easy emotional hook rather than dealing with harsher realities that might be more true to life. However, this film rises above that, to a degree, thanks to some good work by the reliable William Hurt and an eye-opening performance by deaf actress Marlee Matlin. Her presence was critical to making it work, and its success mostly rests on her shoulders.

The story concerns a teacher, James Leeds (William Hurt), who is a new addition to the faculty at Kittredge School for the Deaf. He is an idealistic person with unconventional teaching methods who quickly earns the trust and admiration of his students. However an employee, Sarah (Marlee Matlin), and also a former student, proves more of a challenge. Despite her resistance to him trying to help, a romance blossoms between the two and sets the stage for a clash of wills.

Aside from the outstanding performances (including a small, but affecting turn by Piper Laurie as Sarah's mother), one thing I thought was really well-done was the intimate moments of conflict between James and Sarah after the point in the story where they fall in love. Those dialogue exchanges were key to what I felt was the central struggle in the film. Nominally, it was about a man in love trying to get through to a deaf woman, but it can also be generalized to any relationship where communication can be difficult. Men and women often enter a relationship hoping that the other person will meet them on their own terms, but the reality is that it's best if they meet each other halfway. This is something I thought was beautifully explored in the film. I also enjoyed the many scenes where James interacts with his students, as these provided some comic relief.

Still, not everything was so admirable. For one, I thought that the film took a rather patriarchal attitude towards women. Marlee Matlin, strong as her performance may have been, is still playing a strong-willed woman who finds herself in being with a man, just shy of being domesticated. At one point during the obligatory separation part of any romantic drama, she moves back in with her mother and gets a job, but doesn't find fulfillment in it. I understand that this film was made close to 30 years ago (and the play it was based on) so it's a product of its time, but things like that have a detrimental effect on how well a film ages. And with respect to its attitudes towards women, this film has not aged well in my opinion. They also took a rather pedestrian and cliché approach to the typical romantic elements of the story.

Overall, this was a well-acted and (seemingly) well-meaning look at love in a unique relationship/circumstance. Some of the music was a little too on-the-nose, but generally was fitting. I also enjoyed the 80's pop songs they included in the soundtrack. What the film does best is explore the difficulties inherent in a relationship between a hearing and deaf person, which can be generalized to the difficulty in any relationship. Still, it's retrograde (at least, now) attitude towards women makes it a little lesser of a film than it could have been.

A beautiful movie about love

Author: Maziun from Poland
20 June 2014

"Children of lesser god" is an unique movie. It was the first film directed by a woman (Randa Haines) to be Oscar nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture. Marlee Matlin is the youngest ever winner of a Best Actress Oscar. Matlin is also one of only four actresses to win the Best Actress Oscar for a debut film performance. The movie is one if the few movies about people with hearing problems and deafness. The film was the first major motion picture since the 1926 silent film You'd Be Surprised to cast a deaf / hearing impaired actor in a major role. Marlee Matlin has only one spoken line in English during the entire film. The rest of her performance is in American Sign Language.

The movie is based on critically acclaimed Broadway stage play that was very popular. The playwright Mark Medoff also wrote the screenplay for this movie. The film and source play's "Children of a Lesser God" title is derived from the twelfth chapter of Alfred Lord Tennysons "Idylls of the King" cycle of twelve narrative poems.

The screenplay is both simple and complex. Hollywood is full of love stories where there isn't really no humor and the drama feels forced. Here it all feels real. It feels like real life. The characters are well written and the conflicts the face are completely natural and believable. It's interesting that the movie starts like one of those movies about inspiring teacher , but slowly turns into wonderful melodrama. There are many scenes involving Hurt's work with the deaf children and they are good , but it's the love story that counts the most. The screenplay rightfully deserved the Oscar nominee.

The chemistry between Hurt and Matlin is brilliant. It's not strange , because they really felt in love with each other while making "COLG". They even lived together for few months after movie was finished and it's a sad thing that it didn't last. When you watch the movie you can see perhaps the most authentic romance I've ever seen in cinema.

Marlee Matlin is spectacular in here. You could say it's a kind of cheat for deaf person to play def person. It doesn't change the fact that she is wonderful . I've never thought that a sound of hand clapping other hand might be chilling (watch the movie – you will know what scene I'm talking about). Matlin is able to say so much with her hands or face . The only time she speaks it's truly heartbreaking.

William Hurt is in the shadow of Matlin , since he got the less interesting role. Still , he is great. He always was a master of subtlety and this movie is no exception. His character also changes and suffers during the movie. His also one of the best inspirational teachers in history of cinema.

Piper Laurie has not too much screen time , but beautifully makes a complex character of Sarah's mother. In hands of less skilled actress it would be a cliché character and trivial performance . Laurie gives the audience a character who isn't black or white and quite possible the one they could relate to the most.

The movie is very well directed by Randa Haines , which is surprising since it's her movie debut. Yet she never allows the movie to be too sentimental or manipulative with the viewer's emotions. The mix of humor and drama is perfect. The movie is also quite well photographed, the beauty of New Brunswick coast makes you wanna go there.

Some people are complaining that the movie is too noisy for a film about deafness , that there aren't any scenes that use silence. I don't really see a need for that. The use of sign language feels natural here. The subtitles would be distracting in my opinion. The movie does justice to deaf people portraying them as real people with ambitions , passions and desires , not like poor cripples.

This is a beautiful movie about acceptance , finding yourself and emotional growth. This is what love should be. Find out if the world of sound and world of silence can meet. I give it 9/10.

A wonderful movie that still holds up

Author: texas-diag from Texas
9 February 2014

The four main characters of Children of a Lesser God include James Leeds, Sarah Norman, Dr. Franklin, and Sarah's mother. The main characters of the film represent competing viewpoints of how Deafness is viewed by the public.

James, portrayed by actor William Hurt, is an impassioned speech teacher at the school for the Deaf. He is creative in the classroom, a visionary, and an innovator who thinks outside the box. James has had a long string of short-term jobs which suggest to me that his head-in-the- clouds idealism clashed with the more pragmatic views held by previous administrators. To me, James represents my Deaf ed cohorts and me who maybe sometimes romanticize the field of education and our students and risk falling into the trap of appearing to be paternalistic towards our students despite our best intentions. Our hearts are in the right place, but sometimes we need to have our bubbles burst and brought back to reality.

Sarah Norman, portrayed by Marlee Matlin (who is Deaf in real life), is a former student of the school where she now works as a custodian, despite her intellectual gifts. To me, Sarah represents the Deaf culture at large in that they're sometimes misunderstood by the hearing world. Sarah comes across as rebellious and angry, yet in actuality, she is hurt by the humiliation and isolation she has suffered at the hands of a few ignorant hearing people.

Dr. Franklin, played by Philip Bosco, is the administrator of the school. He represents the "old-school" mentality of a practical and realistic education for the Deaf. In his eyes, Sarah is successful in that she has a job and is paying taxes. This is not to say that Dr. Franklin is a villain. He obviously cares about his students; he just doesn't see them as equals to hearing people. To give an example of his mindset, note how he contrasts his philosophy to that of James'. Dr. Frankin talking to James: "I'm sure you do have a lot of energy and a lot of new ideas. I did too when...But nobody's trying to change the world around here. Just trying to help a few deaf kids get along a little better. But that's all. Everything else is razzle-dazzle. Am I making myself clear?"

Actress Piper Laurie plays Sarah's mother. She represents the families of Deaf children who struggle to put away their feelings of loss and disappointment after having a "disabled" child. Since Sarah's mother never learned to sign fluently, the miscommunication and misunderstandings between mother and child were inevitable.

Four scenes come to mind when considering cultural and social dynamics of the movie Children of a Lesser God. One scene that points to the isolation sometimes felt by Deaf people in a hearing world was the dinner party where James is in the minority because the party goers are all Deaf or hearing people heavily involved in the Deaf community. Even though James is a user of sign language, his fluency is an issue and the participants are employing American Sign Language. His discomfort and feelings of exclusion are palpable. What is telling is that I don't believe James realized that the emotions he was feeling were the same feelings that kept Sarah from venturing into the world outside the school for the Deaf.

Another scene that struck me was when James and Sarah were at a restaurant dancing as they communicated through sign language. There was another couple dancing nearby who couldn't keep their eyes off James and Sarah. The look on the couple's faces wasn't that of curiosity or fascination, but of morbid curiosity. It reminded me of people who rudely stare at amputees or those with physical "deformities."

A third scene that pointed to the cultural and social dynamics between the hearing and Deaf worlds is when James brought Sarah to a poker party hosted by his hearing colleagues. Sarah had taken it upon herself to learn the rules of poker in order to fit in. Among his friends, James got all the credit for "training" her. Sarah caught on at the end of the party and was understandably hurt and annoyed by being likened to a trained dog.

The fourth scene that called attention to the gulf between the hearing and Deaf worlds was when Sarah asked James to explain what music sounded like. He tried, but couldn't find the signs or even the words to explain the emotional power of music to a Deaf person. James' frustration at Sarah for not being able to hear the sounds he loved and Sarah's frustration for not being able to share in James' love of music created a fissure in the burgeoning relationship of the Deaf-Hearing couple.

The main theme of the movie Children of a Lesser God is that love, good intentions, or government regulations can't easily bridge the abyss separating two cultures divided by history, maltreatment, and exploitation of the minority culture by the majority. You notice I said intervention can't easily bridge the gap. All of these things – love, good intentions, government involvement – can and have improved the lives of Deaf people and other disadvantaged groups, but it has taken time. The movie is about two ordinary people trying to overcome suspicion, bitterness, misunderstanding, and cultural missteps in order to find a common ground to explore their love. As James asked Sarah: "Do you think there's someplace where we can meet that's not in silence and not in sound?"

This film remains one of my favorite movies and was the inspiration for my choice of avocation. Although some conventions that the movie uses, such as William Hurt orally interpreting Marlee Matlin's signs during private conversations, are sometimes grating, it is better than using subtitles. The movie is a good starting point for hearing individuals to develop an understanding of the complex hurdles that Deaf people must overcome.

Children Of A Lesser God

Author: lasttimeisaw from Cairo, Egypt
24 July 2013

Marlee Matlin has been fending for the record of being the youngest BEST ACTRESS winner in Oscar's history for 26 years now (at the age of 21), which is rehashed by this year's Jennifer Lawrence's winning (at the age of 22), a closest challenger ever. What intrigues me is how Academy would grant its top honor to such a youngster? I reckon she must play a role older than her real age (as Lawrence did in SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK 2012, 7/10) apart from her differing ability. And my guess is right, it is a meaty role would elicit an actress' all-out capacity to catch the attention and empathy from beholders, plus Matlin is gorgeously beautiful in person, from an anger-ridden minimal-wager earner to a feisty woman yearning for independence and not pandering for her lover's conventional salvation, a deaf woman's own silent world is her own powerhouse, arms her with determination and self-confidence. The film is directed by female director Randa Haines and adapted from Mark Medoff's Broadway play, a touch of sentimentality is abiding throughout, goes with the saccharine score by Michael Convertino.

The other half of the film is William Hurt, the sensual leading man of 1980s' Hollywoodland, he is a speech teacher for deaf children and is besotted with Matlin's eccentricities, he is not a flawless romantic prince, he can rescue her from mundane chores but his insistence of her to speak (in spite of her deafness) denotes a generalized point of view of patronizing the impaired, trying to change them to cater for the life the society designs while being blind to their real needs, aka, he can never enter into her silence, a message being clearly disseminated during their altercation. Hurt is also admirable in learning all the sign languages in the film (by comparison, Piper Laurie as Matlin's mother, is barely trying to do so for communication, not Laurie's fault though since it reflects pitch perfect how their relationship is, and Laurie earned a surprising third Oscar nomination despite of her character's sparing screen time), and the chemistry between him and Matlin makes wonder, how one can forget the aesthetically stunning underwater shots when they accept each other in the swimming pool for the very first time.

One distinguished feature is there is no dubbing of sign languages in the films, instead they are all interpreted by the recipients by words, so for the majority who don't learn sign languages, what we are able to understand is the secondary information reiterated by another person (mainly Hurt in this case), which in a way bars our immediate perception and we also feel frustrated inasmuch as the language barrier is too obvious to overcome. The happy ending may not be an overused cliché as that time, but watching it in the year of 2013, it alleviates the gravitas of the kernel, it is more like a mismatched pair than a happy-ever-after fairytale, one can imagine their future would still be choppy because independence takes no middle ground in its process, in any rate, the film could only be referred as in its half way of being great.

A passionate romance involving one voice, four hands and two hearts ...

Author: ElMaruecan82 from France
7 November 2012

"Children of a Lesser God" reveals a little from its title and the word 'God' is quite misleading. So there are chances that Randa Haines' film doesn't meet your expectations, and I mean that in a positive way. I, myself, didn't know exactly what the film was about; it could be as much about a priest, or a missionary working in an orphan, but the story surprised me, in a very pleasant way.

For all I knew, the film starred William Hurt and his then-girlfriend, the actress Marlee Matlin. As a good movie geek, I knew she won the Best Actress Oscar for her performance, but it didn't leave many indications about the role she played, except the most crucial one: being a deaf actress, she could only play a character suffering from this handicap. Given that, while I was watching the opening sequence, William Hurt as James Leeds, a newly hired speech teacher for the deaf and his first class, I could see coming the inspirational film about the teacher with unconventional methods. Leeds was teaching a group of young teenagers not to rely too much on signing, but instead to learn about lip-reading and the pronunciation of basic sounds in order to face some real-life situations. Some of them are very receptive and seem to learn quickly, maybe too quickly, but in a way, it states that there are various degrees of deafness, there are two other pupils suffering from severer cases who don't participate.

Later, Leeds encounters Sarah Norman, a young woman who preferred to stay at the school. She was there since the age of seven, when her parents put her, thinking she was retarded. Sarah is not just beautiful, looking at the way she signs; it's obvious that she has quite a temper, a personality that doesn't leave Leeds indifferent. He'll learn that she never talked and doesn't intend to. At that moment, we're left with the perfect ingredients of a teacher movie and the story of someone who overcomes a handicap to face the adversity of life and all that stuff. Leeds would teach Sarah to speak, to communicate like the other pupils. She refuses, he insists, but when she refuses again, he gives up, and that's a clever twist. The film uses predictable material but magnificently transcends it by delivering something deeper and more emotionally challenging. Leeds is not interested in Sarah because he wants to help her, but because he is in love with her, and "Children of a Lesser God" unveils its core: it's a romance, and quite a beautiful one.

Yet the film never exploits the romance to ignore Sarah's deafness, which would be unrealistic but also impossible because the sign language is omnipresent. However, it can be debated whether it's fitting or realistic that Leeds translates into words everything she says. The script provides a reasonable answer during a restaurant sequence when Leeds says he likes to hear himself talk. I take it as a satisfying answer because I can believe a man who'd deal with deaf people on a daily basis would love to inhabit his place with his own voice, it might also reveal a sort of egoistical side behind his altruistic nature, but I think it fits the character, slightly pompous at times. But I also accept the criticism about the film being sometimes too noisy for a story about the deaf, while it could have been an opportunity to plunge in this world of silence. The film can be criticized for only adapting usual romantic situations to one handicap, but that criticism, in my opinion, is invalidated by the basis of Leeds and Sarah's relationship.

Yes, the film was more about Leeds helping Sarah to penetrate his world, while Sarah's anger and torment, and this was magnificently portrayed by Marlee Matlin, was to convince people, much more the man she loves, to stop seeing her as a case to study or someone to help. As long as she's perceived as a deaf woman, she stops being herself in the sense that she's only seen through the perceptions of other people, not her perception. But what I love about Leeds' character is the way he reacts, he's not moved by this speech, he doesn't fall into the convenient trap of sentimentality and pretend that Sarah doesn't have a handicap. In the pivotal scene, when she's invited to a reunion of deaf people, Leeds is uncomfortable, and so are we. He's not denying the positive and cathartic aspect of such reunions, but he'd never adopt silence as a referential state because he loves Sarah. On the contrary, it's because he loves her that he tells her the truth, and refuses to let her drown in her existential torment.

Sarah is far from the noble victim and Leeds is not the good Samaritan either, here is a stubborn woman who refuses to play Leeds' game and here's a man who can't lie to himself, he considers deafness as a handicap for communication, for confrontation and for such trivial things as listening to music. One of his biggest goals is to make his pupils enjoy and feel the music, and his incapability to 'show the music' to Sarah betrays a huge desperation is his heart. "Children of a Lesser God" centers on a remarkable couple, full of anger and passion, challenging every single cinematic stereotype. At one crucial scene, they have an argument and suddenly, Sarah is so turned she wants to make love. The script remarkably challenges all the expectations even in the smallest details, dealing with deafness with less condescending sentimentality than other movies would.

Some would say that subtitles would have been more useful than words. Maybe it would have made the climactic moment more impacting, but I guess the film could grab more audience this way, I wouldn't blame it for that, especially when it has such a thought-provoking script and profound romance to give us.

Children of a Lesser God

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
14 July 2012

When I read the title in the book 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die I assumed it was going to be some sort of foreign film, I had no idea it was going to involve what I actually watched, but thank goodness I chose to watch it. Basically James Leeds (Oscar and Golden Globe nominated William Hurt) is the new speech teacher at a New England school for the deaf, and he has an energetic approach during his lessons, and has somewhat unusual skills to teach his new students to communicate, especially verbally despite lack of hearing. Soon enough he sees the woman who seems out of reach to anyone, school cleaner Sarah Norman (Oscar and Golden Globe winning Marlee Matlin) who is completely deaf, she does not like to communicate or spend time with anyone, and he is no exception as she shuns him, refusing to read his lips or signs. Eventually though she does pay some attention to James, communicates with sign language, and even accepts an invitation to dinner, and that is when the romantic feelings develop between the two of them, until they soon move in together. As they spend more time together however it is obvious that their communication is very limited because Sarah is stubborn not to try and learn better skills. James does try to get used to the fact that Sarah will not speak, and he succeeds in a stage performance with his deaf class students who dance and mime in time with some music, but he finds his home life very hard. They have a big argument and their relationship goes to breaking point when he demands she try to speak, so she leaves him to spend time with the only person she can, her mother Mrs. Norman (Oscar nominated Piper Laurie). In this time Sarah and her mother reconcile their own relationship, and thankfully in the end James resolves the love he has for her when they happen to meet each other again, and he agrees that they should maintain their love in whatever communication suits her. Also starring Philip Bosco as Dr. Curtis Franklin, Allison Gompf as Lydia, John F. Cleary as Johnny, Philip Holmes as Glen, Georgia Ann Cline as Cheryl, William D. Byrd as Danny, Frank Carter Jr. as Tony, John Limnidis as William and Bob Hiltermann as Orin. Hurt gives a great performance as the likable teacher with interesting methods to teach and a good heart despite his pressures, but Matlin obviously steals the show because she is completely natural, being deaf in real life she makes her character very sympathetic and emotional, her powerful performance beat Sigourney Weaver in Aliens to the Oscar, and she is a deserved winner. The story works both as a love story with a great poignancy and many emotional moments, and as a wonderful articulation of how any condition cannot stop people finding love, there are funny moments, happy moments, and many sad moments, all sorts of moments to get all emotions going, and all adds up to a must see romantic drama. It was nominated the Oscars for Best Picture and Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material from Another Medium, it was nominated the BAFTA for Best Adapted Screenplay, and it was nominated the Golden Globe for Best Motion Picture – Drama. Very good!

Seeing the movie without sound

Author: stephanlinsenhoff from Sweden
4 January 2012

The stage play Children of a Lesser God, performed 1980 at Longacre Theater, New York, became 1986 a movie. Inspired by Roger Ebert ("Making a sound movie about the deaf is a little like making a silent movie about the blind.") I saw the movie without sound. The focus is deafness but the issue can easily be translated for disability in general. The usual approach by normality towards disability is the teaching of 'lip-reading'. The experts goal and task, encouraged by society: as normal as possible. William/James is applauded for his effort by his students and their parents. Excluded is the student Danny's silence and the screaming Sarahs refuse. Both see themselves as different and not an object in need to be rescued and cured, the reason for Williams/James salary. Williams/James and Marlee/Sarahs love-waterfall puts a special urge to the movies reason. It starts with Williams/James curiosity for the case of the deaf and furious cleaning woman Sarah. Soon it changes to his genuine interest and believe whatever he believes is good for her. She is satisfied to sweep the floor and clean the toilet.Changed to their love affair, she moving to his house. Fueled by their stubborn idea to help and fight against this help - leading to the scream (: "Here you go! Hear my words! Hear my voice! Ah, you want more than that? I'm gonna scream!") She runs away , runs to her mother, reconnecting with her. But their castled prison has crackled. In one scene we see her lip-reading in front of the mirror. And James/William: everybody in the room communicates soundless, him the outsider. One of the 'children of a lesser god', in love with a 'child of a better God'. How can this polarity come near. Meet. For a future together. Their first step is James/Williams questioning his experts and Marlee/Sarahs step towards the will for university. How will it be after the open-ending? The Swedish title Beyond All Words hints at a possibility. When everything is said and everything done and nothing left of the protecting 'armor'. Beyond the mirroring of false reality is a empty space of where truth is to be used.

It didn't keep my interest.

Author: AbundantDay from United States
1 October 2011

I watched the movie based on good reviews of it. It was a disappointment. After watching it a short while, I was surprised it was rated so highly. I couldn't disagree more. I found the story to be very slow and not well directed. For example, when the class bell rang, it lite up, since some of the students couldn't hear. But when class was over and students began to leave, no one had looked at the bell to see that it was blinking. I feel William Hurt was overacting because his script was so elementary. I also felt the female lead's acting was overdone at times. After seeing half of the movie, I couldn't watch the remainder. I was too bored by the slowness and predictability of the story. Therefore, I could not recommend it.

I'm sorry for hurting you.......

Author: Maddyclassicfilms from United Kingdom
19 August 2010

Directed by Randa Haines,Children Of A Lesser God is based on the stage play by Mark Medoff.Medoff along with Hesper Anderson wrote the screenplay resulting in one of the most beautiful films of the 1980's.

It deals frankly with the complexities and frustrations associated with deafness and looks at how some deaf people are happy as they are and don't want to use their voices to speak.

Sign language teacher James Leeds(William Hurt)travels to a fishing town in America,to take up a teaching position at their school for deaf youngsters.He encounters opposition with some students,because he encourages them to use their voices as well as just signing.He meets the school cleaner,Sarah Norman(Marlee Matlin who is hearing impaired herself)who used to be one of the schools brightest and most promising students.

Trying to figure out why she didn't go on to better things,James realises he is falling in love with her.At first resistant and hostile towards him,Sarah soon shares his feelings.So begins an emotional journey,as they try to find a way to live together unhindered by both speech and deafness.

Highlights include James teaching his students to speak and sing(they eventually put on a musical show),James and Sarah dancing in a restaurant and the famous swimming pool scene,which allows James to get a feel of what the world is like for Sarah on a daily basis.

Marlee won(and completely deserved it)the best actress Oscar for her breathtaking performance as Sarah.At times Hurts translation of her ferocious signing is not needed,because we clearly understand her meaning as it's conveyed with so much emotion in her face.

Hurt who I find to be a very subtle actor,is simply brilliant.His love and desperation conveyed perfectly without ever going over the top.There's also fine support from Philip Bosco as Sarah's former teacher and Piper Laurie as Sarah's mother.An uplifting and beautiful love story with a highly spirited main character who is unforgettable.Powerful performances and a haunting score by Michael Convertino all add to the power of the film.

This is an experience that can't be easily explained,it's a film you have to see for yourself and become wrapped up in,you won't be disappointed.

Page 4 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]