IMDb > The Boys Next Door (1985) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Boys Next Door

The Boys Next Door More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Just as good as I remember....

Author: delerius from Spain
5 April 2002

I saw this movie for the first time 8-9 years ago when I accidently zapped into it on cable tv. I remember it made strong impression on me and that I liked it a lot. Now almost 10 years later I bought the DVD and I must say it makes just as strong impression now. The movie is great & shocking and really makes you think what some people are capable of. I recommend this to everyone that want something more then just the ordinary action movies, but be aware,the movie is very violent and probably not suitable for everyone...

A Realistic, Powerful, Hard Hitting Film That Shouldn't Be Missed

Author: Adam E
5 January 1999

THE BOYS NEXT DOOR is one of the most intense and powerful movies I've ever seen. Charlie Sheen and Maxwell Caulfield are excellent and the film is very well written and directed. Sheen and Caulfield are two bored teens who decide after graduating, to take a little vacation where they become violent and go on a killing spree, killing whoever gets in their way. Everything feels real and it delivers a true, shocking message. I think this is an amazing movie and even though it didn't get a lot of attention when released, I think it deserves more attention now and shouldn't be missed by anyone.

chilling!

Author: saint-21
16 March 1999

After seeing this gritty drama, then you wonder why there are nuts in the world. The movie is more ( in a weird kinda way), like a docudrama. It shows how 2 people can become alienated and rejected from society, to become heartless animals. Not to justify what they do, but if these two boys were somewhat loved, maybe they wouldn't be cold blooded killers. There's a scene where one of the teens father ignores him totally. That is shocking. But watching it will disturb you.

brutal; honest; sad; great

Author: voumeguy from United States
24 November 2006

Penelope Spheeris received kudos as director of "Wayne's World." I know that flick was funny as hell and made gobs of green, but "The Boys Next Door" is one of her best. This film combines her earlier efforts, particularly "The Decline of Western Civilization" and "Suburbia," into a nihilistic tale of two guys that ultimately realize that everything has its price. Sheen and Caulfield are very convincing as friends. When they first arrive in L.A. and stop at a gas station, Caulfield steals the show by brutally beating the gas station employee and justifying his actions to Sheen by basically saying: it happened, you can turn me in, you can come with me; let's see what the night turns up?

disturbing and funny

Author: rogerebertisfat from Oakland, CA USA.
11 January 2006

First off, don't listen to the comments by the moron from Pleasant Valley, New Mexico. Maxwell Caulfield couldn't possibly be doing his version of "Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer" since "The Boys Next Door" came out BEFORE it. In fact, since "The Boys Next Door" came out in 1985, it's pretty safe to say that "Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer" (which came out in 1986) borrowed from it, not the other way around. Regardless, this movie has a great soundtrack and really funny dialogue ("Two Blacks and a Mexican.") Scenes so outrageous that they're actually funny (gas station beating). Now, while it's not the greatest film in existence, the fact that the (life- like) violence in the movie could really happen (and sad to say, similarly HAS really happened before), make this movie better than a lot of movies out today. The acting is pretty good, especially Maxwell Caulfield (probably his best performance). I'd recommend this movie to anyone, especially if you grew up in the '80s. People who don't like it are usually over-analyzing it a bit too much. Too many people are looking for "social commentary" when watching movies. They usually end up not liking many films. They forget the simplest thing: movies are made to entertain, bottom line.

Teen angst at its worst.

Author: TOMASBBloodhound from Omaha, NE USA
27 August 2006

The Boys Next Door is an ugly, but generally gripping film about two losers who decide on a whim to spend the weekend in Los Angeles after graduating from high school. Charlie Sheen (Bo) and Maxwell Caulfield (Roy) play these two punks pretty convincingly, and this low-budget film lets them flex their muscles while terrorizing anyone unlucky enough to get in their path.

The film begins by showing us pictures of seemingly normal-looking serial killers while at the same time using audio commentary to detail the number of victims they had. The actions of the two in this film really don't seem to be patterned after any particular killer, but this early footage is just trying to tell us that virtually anyone we see might have violent tendencies.

We see a little of their last day of school. Bo strikes out with a hot chick. Nobody wants them to come to a big party later that night. The boys crash it anyway. Roy pisses in the pool, and the boys steal the family dog and take it with them out to L.A.. Once the guys get to L.A., pure mayhem ensues. First of all, they beat an Iranian clerk at a gas station senseless, nearly killing him. Then, they go to the beach and hit an old lady in the head with a beer bottle. Later on that evening, these two hoodlums graduate to murder. They pick up a gay man at a gay bar and kill him at his place in West Hollywood. Then they murder a young couple just because they're jealous that they can't get a hot chick like the young woman. Things are capped off by the senseless killing of a new-age hippie woman while she's getting it on with Bo. Roy seems to get jealous, then he violently shakes her to death after dissing her new-age values. By then, the cops are hot on their trail, and they corner the two punks at a shopping mall. The conclusion may or may not surprise you.

The acting is very good. Sheen is decent enough, but Caulfield is the guy you will remember. This in not the same Maxwell Caulfield we were rooting for in Grease 2. This guy is one seriously screwed-up individual who takes to murder like a fish to water. Penelope Spheeris does a very good job with the limited budget in one of her earliest efforts. When watching this film now, you can't help but be reminded of the Columbine tragedy of 1999. The kids that caused that bloodbath were probably a lot like Bo and Roy. For some reason, they just couldn't conform, and they saw no other alternative but to take out their frustration on society. There also seems to be a bit of social commentary with the final ten minutes of the film taking place in the mall. I think the film is trying to say that kids of the 1980s were a bankrupt generation who had nowhere else to turn from their problems except shopping malls or other consumer venues. Arcades, too, for that matter.

Overall, this is an ugly film that will make you think about it for quite a while after it's over.

7 of 10 stars.

The Hound.

A powerful, knockout movie that makes you think!

Author: Steff from west auckland new zeland
31 January 2002

"The boys next door" is a superb movie. Bo and Ray, two mischevious best freinds, set out for a hightime weekend after graduation. They get spun out of control, and eventually, kill in cold blood for no apparent reason.

This movie will make you go away thinking. With a twist ending that is supremly unexpected, and altogether a deliberate ironic musing, this movie is a must see! It is one of those rare movie, where you go away saying, "Hey, that movie was actually really good!"

What I liked about this movie, is it is what I like to call a Sleeping Suprise. Its one of those movies that you casually pass by in the movie store, roll your thumb over in a tv guide, but when you finally do get around to watching this movie, you know you have witnessed something you should have seen earlier. I loved this movie, and you will too.

With great acting, a realistic story line, and superb script, "The boys next door" will leave you thinking about the minds of a serial killer, and the qualms of a deeply distubed mind.With inside information about real life serial killers, it will leave you looking over your shoulder for days to come! 8 out of 10...

One of the best films ever made! Excellent performances!!!!

Author: eighties from Oakland, CA
30 April 1999

This movie is definitely Charlie Sheen's best work! Maxwell Caulfield is another great underrated actor! Penelope Spheeris Directed this dark, disturbing film about two high school outcasts (Sheen & Caulfield) who take a road trip to L.A. and decide to snap and start killing people. It shows the minds of some disturbed teens who are tired of being put down by others.

Seeing this movie again reminded me of the tragedy that happened at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado where two outcast students went on a bloody rampage and killed 15 people including themselves at their school.Maxwell Caulfield portrays the very psychotic Roy who does most of the killing. I'd recommend this film to anyone!

Disturbingly insightful and darkly prophetic!

Author: James Meeley from United States
21 September 2009

Sometimes a film comes along, that will truly stick with you long after you've seen it. It will gnaw at your mind and make you look at life and people in a very different way, which you never did before. "The Boys Next Door" is just such a film for me.

Director Penelope Spheeris is probably most well-known for her work on perennial comedic fare, such as "Wayne's World" and "Black Sheep," but long before that she was a very edgy and somewhat visionary filmmaker. Some of her earliest works have a very deep social commentary to them, of which this film is one of her best (and most overlooked). This tale of two high school outcasts, who go to the big city and raise some murderous hell, almost has a modern ring to it. In the wake of real life events, like the massacres at Columbine and Virgina Tech, this film seems less the low-rent crime drama it probably was seen as when it first debuted and more like a prophecy of things to come.

It is absolutely chilling in how it shows the casual use of violence by two supposed teenagers. Their lack of conscience and concern for anything or anyone, save themselves, feels like a mirror being held up to our so-called modern world. What really stuck out for me, though, was the moments of seemingly uncontainable rage expressed by the character of Roy (incredibly performed by Maxwell Caulfield). One scene that truly made my blood run cold, was after his first act of violence on a gas-station attendant, when he and his friend Bo (played by a very young Charlie Sheen, in one of his earliest leading roles) are talking about it in their hotel room, and Roy expresses that the beating wasn't good enough. That he should have killed him. The look of satisfaction on his face as he expresses these thoughts, brought out a dark symmetry to the character, which would dominate everything he does afterwards. It actually comes off like a blueprint to the mindset of such thrill-killers that we see in our real world today. I really enjoyed how the film almost plays like a docudrama in some instances, like this one.

While some of the language and settings might be a bit dated, the emotion and societal insights into the mind of teenage rage are as powerful now as they ever were back in 1985 (when the film debuted). At the time, this film had a bit of controversy about it, due to the amounts of violence shown on screen, but I think that today, in our much more politically-correct minded world-view, it is the thoughts behind the violence which should be more disturbing. It is a film that has truly become MORE relevant as time has gone by, not less. If there is anything lacking in the film, it would be not enough information given on the characters life at home. We see the torment they have with not fitting in with their peers at school, as well as their fears of living out the rest of their lives at dead-end jobs, but there is little info on the role played by the family in helping these boys to be filled with such murderous contempt. There is one scene with Roy's father being shown as a neglectful parent, more interested in getting his next beer than the welfare of his son, but I felt this brief glimpse should have been expand on more. Still, even lacking in this one area, the film is still a very potent brew to behold.

Make no mistake, this is not a "feel good" or party film. It is a shocking, and sometimes twisted, look into how society can mold a teenager into a raging killer and how easily that rage can be let loose on an unprepared society. And the fact these two characters are attractive looking, as well, only deepens the scary similarities of our current times. Despite that, however, it is certainly a very worthwhile film and is deserving of much more attention. If you are looking for a film that isn't just out to entertain you, but also make you think, this is one movie you need to seek out! But be warned... prepare to be unnerved by much of what you will see. I doubt many will walk away from this film totally unaffected, nor should they.

Solid Underrated Movie

Author: Backlash007 from Kentucky
19 September 2001

This movie is 80's gem as for as sheer cinema terror goes. This is an extremely violent movie about two mean-spirited teens that some will discard as sick. But the movie is much more than that. It is a look at what people are truly capable of. This film has captured the essence of violence because the frightening thing is that the two boys don't really have an excuse to do the things they do. They're just plain evil. You want to feel sorry for Charlie Sheen but you just can't. And Maxwell Caulfield can't possibly be redeemed. Their theory of Caveman Day where one just lets loose is taken to the extreme. Caveman Day seems like a good idea until you see what the characters do to others, and the consequences they must face.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]