IMDb > The Best of Times (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4]

An unknown classic

Author: Mccadoo from United States
24 January 2012

This is one of my all time favorite movies and every once in awhile, when the world has punched me around a little too much, I get it out and watch it and things seem better.

It's a funny, sentimental look at life and the mistakes we wish we could undo. It has unforgettable characters and some of the best quotes in any movie, ever.

In my opinion this has always been one of Kurt Russell's and Robin William's best movies, and their best characters.

If you're looking for a fun, well done movie to make you feel good then check it out, I think you'll end up watching it over and over again. And if you're like me, you'll wonder why everyone else doesn't know about it.

Music is wrong wrong wrong!

Author: curtisjackson from United States
6 August 2008

I love this movie, but the music at all the alumni gatherings is just stupid.

The fateful game took place in 1972. That means that the protagonists graduated in 1972. But almost all of the music played at the dances etc. is from the 1950s and very early 1960s.

Having just attended my 30th high school reunion, I can assure you that the last music to be played at a reunion or dance of former high school people is their parents' music.

I understand the difficulty of finding relevant 1970s music -- we all know what a desolate time it was musically. But it wasn't completely bereft, and the producers of the film should have taken more care. I found those dance scenes very jarring to my otherwise willing suspension of disbelief in the rest of the film.

This was a bad director and/or producer decision.

Not the Best, But Enjoyable.

Author: tfrizzell from United States
2 July 2002

Former high school football players Kurt Russell and Robin Williams get it in their minds to replay their final game, a game where wide receiver Williams dropped a game-winning catch from quarterback Russell in this well-meaning and definitely hilarious movie. Smart direction saves a mediocre screenplay and the likeable cast is the icing on the cake. "The Best of Times" is far from a masterpiece, but it is a nice slice of entertainment to pass the time. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Classic 80's film, an homage to anyone who wishes they could still get out there and play

Author: greeksux from Mississippi, USA
21 December 2000

Kurt Russell is at his best as the man who lives off his past glories, Reno Hightower. Robin Williams is his polar opposite in a rare low key performance as Jack Dundee. He dropped the Big Pass in more ways than one.

You'll see some of the most quotable scenes ever put into one film, as Jack hisses at a rat, Reno poses, and the call of the caribou goes out.

Don't miss this classic that isn't scared to show football in the mud the way it should be played.

It's all so predictable...

Author: vdwulp from Utrecht, The Netherlands
2 August 1999

Robin Williams is a great actor but this surely isn't his best movie. In the first fifteen minutes the whole story is clear: they are going to play the match, win it and live happily ever after with their wives. The tale is the same as any 'sports' movie made in the 1980's; the only difference is that the guys are older.

Two mismatched actors fumble through this football comedy that's certainly no touchdown

Author: soranno from Las Vegas, Nevada
28 October 2002

Robin Williams and Kurt Russell portray former high school football players who are still hated by the citizens of their hometown for being responsible for the ruined pass that cost the town winning a crucial football game. After years of taking a countless array of insults, the two of them finally decide to redeem themselves by replaying the game. Another unfunny Williams comedy and Russell is a little miscast.

The worst of times

Author: jrs-8 from Chicago
28 December 2005

I think "The Best of Times" was a lost cause from the get go. The initial premise (guy drops the winning touchdown pass against a rival high school team, can never seem to get over it and then tries to reunite the two teams to play again) is one of the dumbest I have ever heard. Since Ron Shelton went on to write much better sports films I wonder if there was more to it then that. I hope this film wasn't green lit with Shelton pitching the story as I wrote above.

So we have the premise. Going from there you would think, or hope, that there might be a few twists along the way to keep things lively. No such luck. This script follows every predictable cliché you can think of. There isn't a moment in this film you won't see coming a mile away before the film reveals it and the ending.... well if you can't figure out the ending by the end of the first reel then you haven't paid attention or seen any other sports movie in your life.

Robin Williams and Kurt Russell star (and bore) in the leads. Williams is the poor schmo who dropped the big pass and Russell is the quarterback who threw the fateful pass. Gee, do you think Russell will suit up just once more to see if he and Williams can right a wrong that the town has never forgotten? This is such a lame duck comedy with a lame duck script that one can only shake their heads wondering what might have been. Sure there are a few chuckles and, to be honest, there is one truly funny scene. Williams and Russell have marital problems and the wives invite them over for dinner to resolve things. Neither guy realizes that they have been invited over on a Monday and, yes, Monday Night Football is on. Keeping in mind that the two teams playing have a combined one victory, the men (Williams especially) try to resist the temptation to find out how the game is going. The scene dissolves into some hilarious bits as Williams goes to check the score by using a bathroom visit as a ruse. When he returns he coughs the score to Russell. Later as Russell is starting to make the moves on his wife Williams wheels the television into their view from another room.

It's an inspired and funny scene in a mostly uninspired and stupid movie.

What was the point?

Author: T-Mac (maxta80@hotmail.com) from Sydney, Australia
11 June 2000

This is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Robin Williams fit into the part like a rhino would fit into a tutu, even so his performance was still pitiful. Kurt Russell was more believable but still was awful. The plot left much to be desired and the rest of the acting was also terrible. The only thing this movie had going for it was the trailer, which suckered me in to wasting 90 minutes of my life which could have been better spent trying to lick the back of my head.

Do yourself a favor and burn this movie if you have it. If not, just be happy you don't.

Page 4 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4]