IMDb > The Best of Times (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

The Best of Times

Author: Tim Cox from Marietta, OH
9 July 1999

Pleasing comedy about a town loser (Williams) who after 13 years has a chance to win back his respect by reliving a football game, but first has to convince the star quarterback (Russell) to give it another go.

Russell and Williams try to get back their glory days

Author: goya-4 from PA USA
27 September 2000

Kurt Russell and Robin Williams star in this comedy about two men who try to get back their past and hopefully their futures by replaying an old high school football game where Williams dropped a Russell pass...Kinda like this movie, the ball was dropped. A good leading cast but there is not enough script to make the viewer care or laugh..on a scale of one to ten...5

a great 80's feel good movie

Author: (cj102100) from houston
21 April 2000

kurt russell is in top form as grizzled reno hightower in this classic sports film from the 80's. a decaffeinated robin williams garners laughs as a sad-sack football revisionalist, jack dundee, aquarius, (gotta, gotta, gotta satisfy) who is on pins and needles as he grubs on the daughter of jack "the big boss" palance, in sheer, naked horror of her father's horrid, horrid wrath. donald moffat nearly steals the show as dundee's overbearing father-in-law, which harkens back to michael caine's work in jaws 4, which, in turn, echoes c. thomas howell's classic performance in soul man. you'll grip the edge of your seat as you witness the braveheart-esque titanic clash of dr. death and jack dundee (who's pretty fast for a caucasian).

Even With To Quality Star Power, It's Still A Very Weak Movie

Author: eric262003 from Canada
10 March 2014

Did you ever had that wish you could go back in time just to right a wrong that's been haunting you for years? Did you ever had that bad memory that's been eternally stuck in your brain and the only thing to make it disappear is to do it all over again? Just to get one last chance to revive yourself as a way to regain self-esteem that has hindered you over the years? "The Best of Times" tells the story of Jack Dundee (Robin Williams) who's faced in the similar situation that I aforementioned. Years ago, Dundee was a star football player in his high school team, the Taft High Rockets who was getting their butts kicked by their much powerful adversaries the Bakersfield Tigers. They never had a chance against Bakersfield. With the exception of the year 1972. When Taft had a chance at redemption the Tigers led by star quarterback Reno Hightower (Kurt Russell) had tied the Tigers. The High Rockets had the chance to win the game, Hightower threw the ball to Dundee, Dundee inadvertently dropped the ball causing the team to lose. Dundee has never had the chance to forgive himself.

We now switch gears to the year 1985,Jack is now a banker married to a lady named Elly (Holly Palance) who's father is the bank president who like to be referred to as the Colonel (Donald Moffat). The Colonel promotes Jack Vice-President as a means to keep her in tact and to prevent her from being married to a bona-fide loser. Even though his promotion should bring happiness, well sadly, it does not. His fumble from 1972 is still haunting him. At his wit's end he decides to replay the game. Sure the past can not be changed, but who says it's too late to rewrite it? Jack goes back to Taft and reunites with Hightower who now works as their local mechanic. Though with beaten up knees, and a marriage on the rocks, Hightower, unlike Jack cherishes the past as a time when the only moment of his life his talent ever had any meaning to it.

When Dundee asks Hightower to replay the game, Hightower rebuffs the idea. But Dundee's determination has got the town of Taft in full support of Dundee. Jack tell the Colonel who in a twist of fate is the president of the Bakersfield Tigers and agrees to let the games get underway. But Elly and Hightower's wife Gigi (Pamela Reed) are not to into the idea and join forces to stop this game from happening. With the town on their side and the old team getting themselves back in shape, the long-awaited rematch is now officially set. And with hard work, dedication and perseverance, they might successfully pull it off.

Released in 1986, this comedy puts in a great effort, but fails quite miserably. The film is directed by Roger Spottiswoode ("The 6th Day), the movie has very little to look upon. It was quite refreshing to see Robin Williams play a more laid-back character from the usual manic performances he is notorious for. The supporting performers Kurt Russell, Holly Palance and Pamela Reed give their best effort, but it still was not entirely satisfying enough for my tastes. The script was written by Ron Shelton who wrote classic films like "White Men Can't Jump" and "Bull Durham", failed to live up to his reputation in this forgettable film.

I guess the lesson to be learned from "The Best of Times" does not rely on the characters from the movie, but from the audience who watched the movie. It is still possible to cast talented performers, have a seasoned veteran scriptwriter and an accomplished director to come up with a film that does not entirely work. I can say it's good to watch as a guilty pleasure, but otherwise it is just a DVD that will likely collect dust.

It Was The Best of Times

Author: tbills2 from United States
31 January 2014

There isn't anything about The Best of Times not to love. I love it. I love Robin Williams. I love Kurt Russell. I love its simple story. I love it for its spirit. I love it for its passion. I love its lighthearted nature. I love Holly Palance. I love Pamela Reed. I love relationships full of love. I love family. I love small town togetherness. I love having someone to count on. I love American high school football. I love understanding what truly matters. I love second chances. I love the sweet glory. I love The Best of Times. It's the best. It's such an easy to love viewing. It has a lot of good heart and it's a great film for football fanatics, a family must-see!

I watch it every year

Author: TKDLion8 from United States
14 April 2012

This is one of my dad's all time favorite comedies. As a child when I watched it for the first time I didn't think it was anything special. I found the 80's clothes and things to be a bit off-putting. But as I watched it a second and third time I got a few more of the jokes each time and now I think that it is absolutely hilarious. I crack up every time I watch it even though I watch it every year.

I can relate to Robin Williams character because I (like most people) have made mistakes that haunted me for years. I can also relate to Kurt Russell's character because I have also had the experience of not wanting to risk tarnishing my reputation for being good at something.

great 80's fun movie

Author: MontrealExpos from Pawtucket, RI
24 October 2011

Saw this in the theater in '86 and fell out of my chair laughing more than once. "Beirut"..."What do you know about Beirut?"..."Beirut...he's the best damn baseball player who ever lived." You know how it's going to end but it has a great time getting there. The training scenes are very funny but the best scene may be the one when Jack and Reno are attempting to watch the Falcons v. Vikings Monday Night Football game while attempting a make-up dinner with their wives. I can imagine how much fun the actors had doing their own football work-outs especially in the Mud-Bowl.

Robin Williams and Kurt Russell seem to have a lot of fun with this one. It's too bad that it's overlooked as a top notch comedy.

hilarious and underrated

Author: jimakros
24 September 2011

I love this movie.Its funny and very well acted.Williams and Russell make two excellent former high school buddies who used to play ball and now are middle-aged. The whole atmosphere of the small town characters,for whom the town high school football team was especially important, is very well done and all the supporting actors do a good job.There are some very funny one liners and a spirit-lifting story.I've watched this a few times and always get a laugh with the characters and the story.I don't understand why this movie is not better known.I hadnt heard of it when i first watched it some years ago. Very funny and underrated.

a pretty decent football/comedy that is quite funny at times and has one absolutely hysterical sequence

Author: disdressed12 from Canada
31 October 2006

i had low hopes for this movie,having recently seen another so called football/comedy movie.this one wasn't bad however.there were some moments were i chuckled,and there is one dinner scene which is absolutely hysterical.Robin Williams is one of the stars,so you can expect some manic energy.the dialogue was okay for the most part,but there was one scene(the dinner scene again)where it rises above okay and into near brilliance Kurt Russel also turns in a good performance he and Robin Willinam work wheel off each other..there is a lot of character development in this film-almost too much,to the detriment of other aspects of the film.however the film does end up redeeming itself before the end.The basic premise is:Robin Willima plays Jack Dundee a small town man living in the past,specifiably 13years earlier.you see in 1972 Jack was thrown a pass which would have tied the football game with his town's arch rivals.instead Jack bobbles the catch,losing the game.he has been a laughingstock for the past 13 years.Kurt Russel is Reno Hightower,the quarterback who threw the pass, and still Jack's friend.in order to finally make peace with his demons,Jack convinces Reno and the whole town to replay the 1972 game against Bakersfield-with the same players.i won't reveal any more but you can probably figure out the rest.that is this movies biggest weakness-its predictability.but it manages to rise above it. 6*/10

Uneven and bittersweet comedy

Author: Maureen Finebesser (m.finebesser@ivillage.com) from Brooklyn, NY
17 August 2001

Robin Williams does his best to combine comedy and pathos, but comes off a bit shrill. Donald Moffat is too one-note as his father-in-law. Jeff Bridges is excellent though as the quarterback, and Holly Palance and Pamela Reed are marvelous, carrying the film through most of its rough spots. It fills time nicely, but is little more than that.

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]