IMDb > American Geisha (1986) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

American Geisha (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Terrific movie

Author: intp from United States
30 August 2016

I was fortunate enough to record this wonderful film on late-night TV to VHS around the time it originally aired and have seen it many times since then. I'm sorry this movie isn't better known and hasn't had a proper DVD release, because I would surely buy it. Fortunately, the film is available to watch on YouTube and is well worth checking out.

The film is based on the true story of an American PhD student studying Japanese geisha culture. She was the first, and I believe the only, foreigner ever allowed to actually become a geisha, and the insights she gained as a result were remarkable.

The film also carries the motif of searching for meaning in one's life. In the case of the lead character, she is looking for her spiritual family; and in a very real sense, she finds it.

I urge whoever holds the rights to give this fine film a proper DVD release with commentary and extras.

One of the very best movies I've ever seen

Author: Linda SolomoN (linda-96) from Jacksonville, Florida
7 November 2000

I am disabled and when you are disabled, at times, you are depressed. American Geisha, fortunately, has been aired on my Satellite stations often and whenever I watch it, it lifts my spirits. I only wish I was young again and could experience an experience as Gillian Burke did. What an honor was bestowed on her by allowing her to become a Geisha. I only wish I could let Pam Dawber know how much this movie has done for me and I continue to watch it as often as it comes on.

Thank you Pam for making such an awesome, wonderful, true story movie.