IMDb > Alex: The Life of a Child (1986) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Alex: The Life of a Child (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Have been looking for a copy of this movie for years!

Author: (oehmen@nconnect.net) from Slinger, Wisconsin
26 July 2004

My three children and I watched this movie together and still talk about it often. All three are grown with children of their own now and we have been looking for a copy for our movie library. The story itself was beautiful and the casting was perfect. The day to day lifestyle of a family with a sick child was both heartwarming and heartbreaking. We still quote the line from Alex, "Daddy, my little Daddy."

I think the best part was the portrayal of Alex herself. The vivacious personality that everyone adored. The brave little girl with the huge heart. The actress who never stopped acting up until the very end.

To this day, after all of these years, this movie remains one of our all-time favorites!

Wonderful Movie...still looking for a copy to add...

Author: lmm1019 from United States
22 March 2006

I was only about 6 or 7 when this movie came out, but I remember it to this day. My family and I still talk about it and wonder if we can get a copy of the movie, but I think I finally found where to get it!! "Daddy, My Little Daddy" has been in our vocabulary since we saw this. This little girl was so brave and strong and I know a little girl who passed away at 7 of Cancer just a few years ago and for some reason, they grow up so fast.

I truly feel this movie should be in EVERYONES movie collection...I could watch it over and over and cry over and over. It makes you cherish life and what you have that much more.

My daughter will also experience this move when she gets older and I know she will love it just as I do.

Just heartbreaking!

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
9 May 2006

I remember the first time that I saw this film. It still is worth watching. Alex: the life of a child is one of those films that you can't watch without some feeling. The daughter, Alexandra, suffers from cystic fibrosis. During her short life, her father played beautifully and touching by Craig T. Nelson is sports writer and sports commentator Frank DeFord. He chronicles her short life. He and his wife had it all by the time she was born. They had a beautiful home in the suburbs and a healthy son named CHristopher. When Alex came into their lives, she was the first girl in a long time. The young actress who played Alex deserves credit for bringing to life this child. The actress is Gemma James and she deserved an Emmy for a heartbreaking performance. I also have to admire Bonnie Bedelia's performance as the mother. Her role does not go without saying. How can somebody grieve over the loss of a child? Nobody expects to outlive their child. Since I don't have any children, I can say that I have watched this film and cried a little each time. I keep thinking of what might have been for Alex. Her life was just too short.

Alex: The Life of A Child is my favorite movie

Author: rachels89 from United States
15 January 2007

I watched Alex: The Life of A Child when it came on TV and we taped it. I watched it over and over that our tape went bad. I would cry every time I watched it, but I love it. My friend taped it again for me off cable TV, but I watched it so much that my tape went bad again. So I have been looking all over for the movie so I could see it again. I want to watch it and cry when I watch it, because Alex was such a loving, creative, and imaginative little girl, who loved to make people happy. I can't wait to get the movie. I would love to show it to my nieces Kayla and Gabrielle someday. My Mom and my friend Kristy also love Alex: The Life of a Child as much as I do. My Mom has been wanting to buy it for a long time also. This is one of the best room I have ever seen. Thank you Frank Deford for sharing your daughter's life with us so that we could enjoy her too. As well as understand what cystic fibrosis is and how it affects a child that has it.

EXCELLENT TV MOVIE, FROM BACK IN THE 80's.

Author: JACK (JABRONI76) from CHICAGO, IL, USA
19 November 2002

This was an excellent TV Movie, I saw it when I was 10 or 11 years old, this movie made me cry. I hope I can obtain a copy of this great and wonderful movie someday. Craig T. Nelson is an excellent actor from his movie roles in the Poltergeist series to TV sitcoms. Two Thumbs Up for Craig.