IMDb > About Last Night... (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
About Last Night...

About Last Night... More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Sex vs. love, a great movie to watch

Author: dmaz05 from Atlanta, GA
16 March 2006

I know I know you look at the cast and say "Geez, another a brat pack movie from the 80's". However, this movie is really good. The scariest part is how accurate the movie is in portraying the challenge to find true love among young twenty something's in the eighties. All of which still applies today. Did David Mamet know something thirty years ago that we didn't? Even the four main characters and the different personalities they have are easy to relate too and understand because they are all people that we know or once used to know!!!!! Danny (Rob Lowe), a restaurant supply salesman, and Debbie (Demi Moore), an art director at an advertising agency, meet at a baseball game and later link up at a singles bar in Chicago. He's a handsome guy used to one-night stands; she's having an affair with her boss but is looking for something more romantic and less sleazy.

After a one-night stand at Danny's apartment, Debbie tells him, "It's been a slice of heaven." She returns to her place where she lives with Joan (Elizabeth Perkins), a kindergarten teacher whose smart ass tongue discourages most men. Meanwhile at work, Danny's buddy Bernie, a Neanderthal barbaric like fellow (played beautifully by Jim Belushi) who sees himself as a lady killer, queries his friend about his date with Debbie.

The affair continues, and Debbie decides to move in with Danny. Living together proves to be a difficult experience for them. They try out plenty of new positions for sex, but find that coping with each other's habits, quirks, and expectations is far more challenging. Danny's passivity and inability to open up bother Debbie. At one point, he discovers her looking through his private possessions for clues to his past life.

Debbie, of course, wants them to be a couple, while Danny, hiding behind the myth of the independent male, doesn't want to tie himself down and so ends up treating Debbie as nothing more than a live-in sexual object. And if there isn't enough tension between them, Bernie and Joan are constantly trying to sabotage their relationship. Thus the beginning of the end starts when Danny and Debbie use the "L" word after a steamy night of passion. Danny's frustrations with his career spill over into his relationship with Debbie. More frustrations come about with his best friend Bernie giving him a hard time about being with Debbie, losing touch with his own free spirit partier identity and a lack of communication with Debbie. This ultimately leads to a gut wrenching break up scene followed by Danny's painful attempts to get Debbie back after he finally realizes that what he had was special and now wants back what he has lost.

As I was watching this movie I found myself squirming in my seat while these characters struggle to relate to each other. It wasn't very difficult for me to remember that I had gone through the same heartbreaking downfall of a good relationship in my early twenties due to my lack of communication and inexperience regarding matters of the heart like Danny in the movie. And how difficult it can be to move on. My only peace of mind comes at the end when Danny and Debbie decide to start courting again. This time with the realization that they were both unrealistic and naive and that they will be better to each other because of the painful lessons learned. The voices inside Danny, Debbie, Bernie, and Joan speak volumes about the loneliness, anger, self-hate, and fear of men and women who remain perplexed about themselves and the opposite sex. About Last Night is a provocative portrait of young adults. A very underrated movie and a must see.

one of the best movies on being in love

Author: khouston86 from texas
15 February 2003

This movie is extremely entertaining and moving. Neither Demi Moore nor Rob Lowe has ever looked better (and you get to see plenty of them). The last scene never fails to get me, and the whole movie rings incredibly true on being in love. Hell, Demi Moore even looks and acts like a girlfriend I had when I was a little bit younger. This is a funny, smart movie that stays with you forever, and I will pay it the ultimate compliment: We are lucky it was made. Vastly underrated on this site, About Last Night is a ten.

Nice slice-of-life with attractive stars

Author: RNMorton from West Chester, Pa
16 October 1999

Film gets ripped by most, but I like it. Rob Lowe & Demi Moore find each other and enter on-again, off-again relationship. Demi has never looked better, and Jim Belushi is outstanding as Lowe's well-meaning but crude best friend. More realistic about relationships than most Hollywood productions.

Accurate Portrayal of a 1980s relationship - with interesting Best Friends!

Author: Jeremy Perkins (jwp@bsrunners.myzen.co.uk) from Aberystwyth, Wales
5 November 2004

In 1980's Chicago two attractive young people develop a very 1980's relationship. After falling into bed together on their first meeting they progress through a tentative relationship to moving in together, moving out again, and then possibly to some sort of reconciliation.

The film was made contemporaneously with the period it is set in and is one of those films that evoke their particular time with well-observed accuracy. Demi Moore and Rob Lowe deliver strong performances as the articulate, successful – and confused - central characters, with Moore in particular able to reflect on the developing crises with astute asides.

The film possibly has two structural problems. First, it is too long. Boy endlessly prostrating himself in front of Girl he has sent packing gets tedious, and the tension regarding what may happen starts to dissipate.

Secondly, the more-or-less mandatory Best Friend characters are almost too strong. Lowe's buddy James Belushi is a chauvinist slob, but also a bit of a charmer - and with some of the best lines. Moore's confidante Elizabeth Perkins may be something of a shrew, but a damned attractive one. These two take an intense dislike to each other from the start, and as the main romance stalls their relationship becomes by far the more interesting one with its vague possibility that such a sparky loathing just might lead to something more positive - if pretty combustible!

About as romantic a movie as possible, but definitely deserves its R rating

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
18 February 2007

Debbie (Demi Moore) is a successful, young professional in the Chicago area. She and her friends like to hit the neighborhood bar and ogle the men. These women consider themselves "modern", that is, they are not looking for a lasting relationship, just a hot night with Mr. Good Looking. One evening, after a softball game, Debbie meets Dan (Rob Lowe). They are instantly smitten with each other, both being very attractive and very hormonal, and they spend the night together. Debbie tells him thanks for the "slice of heaven" and goes on her way. Yet, a day later, they end up calling one another on the phone, at the same moment. They set up a second date, which ends in another lusty evening. Fairly soon, they move in together but set up guidelines. None of this acting like a married duo, although they take turns cooking and shopping. Yet, is it possible for them to treat each other like roommates only and never let their hearts be touched? And, how long will their relationship last? This is truly a very romantic movie with many assets. Lowe and Moore are absolutely gorgeous, gorgeous human beings and lovely to look upon. The movie also has an intelligent, humorous, truthful and very touching script. Then, too, the costumes, Chicago setting, and cinematography are very worthy, indeed. However, if you like your movies without a lot of sexual encounters, this is not the film for you. This story is an exploration of the nature of modern existence, where sex and birth control are both readily available. As such, it has many eyebrow raising scenes of romantic tete-a-tetes. Therefore, if you prefer good, clean romance movies, try Return to Me or Only You instead. But, if you are willing to look past some fast and loose scenes in exchange for a truly touching and romantic film, get this one tonight.

One of the Best Movies about Sex, Love and Immature Relationship

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
13 June 2012

In Chicago, the salesmen of restaurant supplies Danny Martin (Rob Lowe) and Bernie Litgo (James Belushi) are best friends and womanizers. One night, the handsome Danny meets Deborah 'Debbie' Sullivan (Demi Moore) in a bar and they have one night stand. Debbie works in an advertisement agency and lives with her roommate and best friend, the kindergarten teacher Joan Gunther (Elizabeth Perkins), and falls in love with Danny.

The infatuated Debbie moves to Danny's apartment and they have great sex but very few conversation. Their closest friends Joan and Bernie frequently try to sabotage their relationship. Five months later, Danny breaks with her and the brokenhearted Debbie returns to Joan's apartment. Meanwhile Danny grows up and misses Debbie, but maybe it might be too late for reconciliation.

"About Last Night…" is one of the best movies about love, sex and immature relationship from the 80's and one of my favorite films ever. The charming lead characters are wonderfully performed by Demi Moore and Rob Lowe that show a magnificent chemistry.

The story is realistic and shows the difficulties of a young couple to live together, with four young central characters of twenty and something years old: Debbie is a young woman that has an affair with her boss and has a crush on Danny and wants a steady relationship. Danny is an insecure man frustrated with his work that does not want to have a commitment with Debbie. Bernie is chauvinist pig that sees women as sexual objects. And Joan is a frustrated woman that is constantly dumped by her boyfriends.

"About Last Night…" is a cult for people from my generation that certainly will find identification with the lead characters and their relationships. Last but not the least, Demi Moore is delightful to be seen in the 80's ("No Small Affair"; "St. Elmo's Fire" and "About Last Night"). My vote is nine.

Title (Brazil): "Sobre Ontem a Noite…" ("About Last Night...")

A Relationship Based Solely On Sex Seldom Works.

Author: MartynGryphon from Coventry, England
30 July 2009

Demi Moore plays Debbie, the ad exec in loveless relationship with her boss. Rob Lowe plays Danny, a restaurant supplier in a loveless relationship with....well anyone really.

The two meet in a bar after a baseball game and one thing leads to another and they jump into the sack with each other that very night. A casual sex relationship develops between the two for a few weeks until they decide to move in together, but that's when their problems really start.

James Belushi & Elizabeth Perkins plays Bernie & Joan, Danny & Debbie's best friends respectively. Belushi is a sexist, misogynist pig and Elizabeth Perkins is an uptight, feminist, man hater. Both think that Danny & Debbie are making a huge mistake and with such conflicting viewpoints, they despise each other but Bernie is Danny's confidant and likewise Joan is Debbie's. They both have separate agenda's to split them up but set about it from very different angles.

However, their input is not really needed as it soon becomes apparent to both Danny & Debbie that basing a relationship purely on great sex is no basis at all and that the resulting peer pressure is just the straw being placed atop of the proverbial camel's back.

About Last Night is generally pigeonholed as a comedy, but is more correctly a romantic drama with some comic moments attached. Moore & Lowe play their parts really well as the two confused twenty somethings playing house, but it's the scenes that Belushi & Perkins appear in, especially together, that really make the movie a must watch.

About Last Night will please the guys because Demi gets her kit off regularly and it will please the girls because not only is it the one of the best '80's chick flicks but Rob gets his kit off too. It also has a great soundtrack to boot.

It's about men, women, choices, sex, ambition, moving in, no sex, risk, underwear, friendship, career moves, strategy, commitment, love, fun, breaking up, making up, bedtime, last night...

Enjoy!!!

21 years later and this story remains true as ever

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
6 December 2007

I just bought a DVD with About Last Night and St. Elmo's Fire, I figured since it was 5 dollars to give it a look. I watched About Last Night first, I have to say that this movie despite it's dated look and music, is still vital to today's world of love and sex. It's amazing how we still haven't changed that much, huh? But anyways, onto the movie, over all acting and the way that About Last Night was shot, I'd say this was a decent movie. It's still somewhat of a classic to this day, it starred a couple of the famous members of the brat pack, Demi Moore and Rob Lowe who had absolutely amazing chemistry on screen and really brought the relationship to life. While I admit, that this is very dated, it's all good, most of our movies will one day be dated, it's kinda fun to see what life was like then. I was only 1 years old when this movie came out, so those shoulder pads would've weighed me down, lol. Despite the dated look, the story is as true as it ever was today.

Debbie and Danny, first off, how corny are these names put together? OK, back onto the story, they meet at their favorite bar and hook up, it seems like the most common one night stand. But they can't help but think of each other, so they continue on with their sexual relationship. But they are getting more and more serious with seeing each other, so they move in together, as just room mates as first. But eventually they decide to try a relationship as boyfriend and girlfriend. But things get very difficult with their two best friends who are just rooting for their relationship to crumble to pieces. Then they must confront the difficult part, is there anything they have past than just the physical attraction? You'll have to see for yourself.

About Last Night is a good movie, the acting and over all film is average, it's watchable. It has a little comedy to it as well, so it's not all drama. It's got some steamy moments between Demi and Rob, I have to say that it was beautifully shot in the scene where they first say I love you to each other. But this movie really did get to me because I could totally relate to Demi's character on every level, I think that's another plus is that it is written very realistically and doesn't just have them be all happy again after all their problems, it's very realistic to what trials a relationship goes through. I would recommend About Last Night, it's a good film and a fun time capsule.

After 20 years, it's still watchable!

Author: abdul_m-ismail (abdul_m.ismail@blueyonder.co.uk) from Liverpool, United Kingdom
23 August 2007

I was in my mid teens when this film first came out and I watched it for the first time a couple of years later when it was released on VHS. 20 years after its release, I still watch it because this is one of those rare films where the cast selection is superb and the acting is 10/10. Although the soundtrack is very 1980's, some of the music is timeless (for those who are interested, Mica Paris' version of "Words into Action" is just as good as Jermaine Jackson's original).

In my humble opinion, Rob Lowe (Danny) and Demi Moore (Debbie) have by far the best on-screen chemistry that I've seen. Their portrayal during the emotional scenes are amazing and so realistic that they leave a "lump in my throat" every time. James Belushi deserves so much credit as the comic sidekick as does Joan (Elizabeth Perkins), Debbie's cynical friend.

One thing though; I've always wanted to know what happened to their characters twenty years on. So, to Edward Zwick (Glory, Blood Diamond etc.): Do you fancy making a sequel; "About Last Decade"? Seriously, About Last Night is by far the vest romantic comedy from the past two decades and for that I give the film 10/10.

The Difference Between Boys and Girls

Author: secragt from United States
24 September 2003

At 5.8 stars this is underrated, probably dismissed due to two brat packer leads (Demi Moore, Rob Lowe) at the peak of their annoying bratpackerdom. It turns out, however, ABOUT LAST NIGHT is surprisingly witty and literate. It takes an unusually soulful look at the differences between how 20-something men and women see love and relationships, and is one of the smarter romantic comedies of the past 15 years.

There are a number of crisp and quotable dialogue exchanges (particularly between irascibly sexist Belushi and irrepressibly man-castrating Perkins), some funny but some heartfelt. The entire cast performs well, too, probably thanks to the steady hand of director Ed Zwick. In particular, Demi Moore is pretty darn good in both the light stuff (her memorable "female secrets" list to Lowe) and then later as the devastated and heartbroken weeper after the split. The usually cardboard Lowe is also surprisingly good, actually emoting and garnering our sympathy after foolishly breaking up with Demi but quickly realizing he has made a terrible mistake.

As "Boy Meets Girl, Boy Loses Girl" scenarios go, ABOUT LAST NIGHT's premise israther routine. However, the execution is cleverer and we care about Lowe's and Moore's characters, who are appealing and well drawn. SNL veteran Tim Kazurinsky scribed the story, which has just the right touch of angst, tears and laughter. More than comedy, however, ABOUT LAST NIGHT takes a revealing and realistic look at differences between the way men and women think. Perhaps a bit shmaltzy in the end, but still a productive use of your time, and a generally worthy relationship movie. 8.5 / 10.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]