IMDb > "Valerie" (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Valerie"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Valerie" More at IMDbPro »

My childhood

Author: musiclover_19 from USA
17 March 2004

I remember watching this show on Sunday afternoons when I was younger and loving them. It wasn't a philosophical show that takes after something by Shakespeare, but it was fun. A lot of my friends during that time loved it, as well. Sandy Duncan took Valerie Harper's place, and it reminded me of my friend's mother. That was another way it connected with me. It let family be funny, safe, and comfortable, just like other sitcoms. There was nothing wrong with it! It was just fun and simple! Other shows like this were "Family Matters", "Family Ties", "Cosby Show", "Roseanne", etc.. If you watch those shows, then you should find "The Hogan Family", sit back, and enjoy!

Unsophisticated but cosy

Author: Mat from United Kingdom
16 April 2003

I know that the Hogan's, and Valerie before it, didn't represent state of the art comedy, being utterly formulaic and looking like the very template for family sitcoms, but darn it, it was nice. The family was nice, the house was nice, the plots were nice. Nice, warm, fuzzy, safe family viewing. Sometimes I want hard-edged, risky comedy, but sometimes I just wanna watch TV safe in the knowledge that every episode will have a group-hug type ending. It's the perfect remedy if you're ever feeling a bit oppressed by all the stuff that's going on in the world right now. The comedy is still nice enough, but boy have the clothes and hairstyles dated!

I have a bunch of episodes on tape but would love to get more.

To Clear-Up Somethings

Author: RE Zuleta from Chicago, IL
18 September 2003

First of all, back in late-1985, early 1986, NBC was originally gonna name the show "The Hogan Family," but later changed their mind and opted for a name that reflected its original famed star "Valerie Harper." Thus, it was retitled "Valerie."

After, the famed contract dispute over her salary, Valerie Harper left the show, or was fired - depending who's side of the story you hear- thus the show was renamed "Valerie's Family: The Hogan's." This angered "Valerie Harper" very much, and she sued the producers for still using her name as the title of the show without her permission.

Thus, the producers opted to revert back to the original suggested production title: "The Hogan Family."

In reality they were always 'The Hogan Family.'

A Great Show!

Author: foreveryoung513 from United States
12 June 2005

I may have only seen about 25 episodes in my life of The Hogan Family, but believe me, for a show like that, it does not take much to love it! I've gotta give a round of applause especially to Sandy Duncan, for she was funny and one heck of an actor, perfect for her character. After all, who else would you have to help raise 3 boys after their mother suddenly dies? I've got nothing against the other actors, cause they were also excellent. Of all the sitcoms that Miller-Boyett Productions and Lorimar Television did, this must be and will always be my favorite one. If you ever happen to see it on TV one of these days, please don't change that channel. It could be something you may regret. Also, I hope they put episodes on DVD someday, cause if they do, I'm gonna be in the line to buy one!

It was never the same without Harper!

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
28 January 2008

This show really belonged to Valerie Harper, no offense to her replacement Sandy Duncan. Harper left the show under uncertain circumstances. Regardless, the show and network wrote her off sadly. While on, she was the mother to three boys and a pilot husband who was often absent. The cast was first rate including Edie McClurg as a neighbor, Christine Ebersole as her snobby unmarried sister-in-law, and the boys played by Jason Bateman, Jeremy Licht, and Danny Ponce. Ponce and Licht played fraternal twins who were as opposite as night and day. They touched on some issues like AIDS and homosexuality and other issues in this series but the show never fully recovered from the blow of Harper's absence.

This was a good show

Author: hobbes0022 from NY, USA
3 August 2001

how can you say that the hogan family was a great show, Mark and Dave and the other guy. that was a good show, it reminded me of my neighbors. i had to register just to tell everyone how good this show was. you know what else where good shows? pete & pete, salute your shorts, and "fun house". too bad there not in syndication anywhere:(

It hasn't any funny moment

Author: Dr_Naif (agustincalvo@hotmail.com) from Alicante, Spain
25 July 2000

I can't remember a worse show than this. Family Hogan is boring and meaningless. I never found a laughable joke. This must be product of a lame mind. Pathetic from the very beginning, more ridiculous even than `7th Heaven', although Linkan-3 can doubt it. Too moralist, the subjects are never smart. But the Hogans will please old ladies who had never seen that machine called TV.